1996 Toyota Corolla

Based on 449 Ratings for the 1993 - 1997 models.

Will outlast your patience-

By on Sunday, January 6, 2008

"Bought new with 2 miles on odometer and drove all of 210k miles with no incidents. Was supposed to be for a couple of years before I bought something I really wanted. Almost 14 years, a marriage, and two kids later, it is the only one that remains from before my marriage and is the envy of my wife! I am slowly being worked on over the years by my wife to get rid of it and finally it seems to be working as I am starting to yearn for another car. Still get 34/45 mpg, runs and looks great, will not die! Will have to say good bye soon - a heartbreaker indeed!"

best deal

By on Saturday, November 2, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, excellent response, easy to park"

Cons: "no interval wipers, no cruise control"

"I bought this car in 2004. My brother said it wouldn't last and I paid too much for it ($8000). I've only had to do a few repairs such as brakes, oil pan gasket and head gasket. This car has never let me down, never left me stranded. Since I'm only 5'2", this car is the perfect size for me. The body is still in pretty good condition with minimal rust. It's not the car for everyone; my husband calls it 'the go-cart' but I love it! I'm going to be trading it in on a slightly larger car, that he can enjoy driving as well and I'll be sad to see it go. I expect to see it driving around town for a long time to come. Great little car!"

very reliable one owner car!

By on Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pros: "Good gas mileage, very reliable"

"Good gas mileage, very reliable (225,000 miles so far!),no major repairs!Drove it myself for 14 years, then trusted it with my two children."

Best Car I Ever Owned this is my third car.

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pros: "Wonderful to drive, great price."

Cons: "No cd player or cassette player."

"Top vehicle ever. Never had any large maintenance problems, kept it oiled, gassed,a dent on back fender, roofing material over drivers seat has split. Needs a minor paint job. Car is great on gas."

18 years old and still runs well!

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "2 cup holders that don't fit modern cups"

"My family bought this car used many years ago. I learned to drive on it and later received it as a graduation gift. She's had her share of problems, all related to standard wear and tear. 18 years old and she's never failed an emissions test. I can still get 400 miles to the tank all highway driving and about 300 off highway. I don't treat her the way a car enthusiast might. She's a bit beat, but continues to run well. The only reason I'm considering a new car is because she hit the 200,000 mark and needs a lot of routine repairs that cost more than she's worth. I promised I'd run her into the ground and I plan to do the same with my next Corolla. It's a wonderful car and will easily last a long time."

Fantastic Commuter - VERY reliable car

By on Saturday, October 1, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, Great Gas Mileage, Comfortable ride"

Cons: "Not much passing power, nor the greatest "date" car"

"I am the third owner after my father-in-law and sister-in-law. I bought it at 100,000 miles over 2 years ago, and this car has been flawless. I've only had to do maintenance (went ahead at 120,000 service when I replaced timing belt, also had the garage replace the water pump and engine seals). Otherwise, I keep fresh oil in it, and it asks nothing of me other than a gallon of gas every 36 miles going 70mph to and from work daily. Not a sports car by any means, but this 1.8L (7afe) makes good torque for everyday driving. A/C is ice cold, and 4-speed auto shifts smoothly. A/C has never been serviced, and every 60k, flush and fill transmission. Terrific small car, and if you can find one in good condition, it will treat you right. While I only want another 50-60k out of it, I'm sure it has far more left in it."

Loved this car

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Reason: Wanted a SUV

Pros: "Excellent value"

Cons: "Smallish"

"My first car where every thing worked..no alternate switches or home repairs on the seat. It works..as expected. Good value safe ride. Perfect for a student driver. Solid."

i LOVE IT, GOOD ON GAS AND VERY GOOD TO MAINTANCE

By on Friday, September 21, 2012

"I LOVE THIS CAR, I HAVE IT FOR SEVERAL YEARS, IS VERY ECONOMIC, (36 MILES PER GALLON)I DON'T HAVE TO BE WORRIED ABOUT NEED OIL IF I CHANGE MY OIL EVERY 3000 MILES I DON'T HAVE TO CHECK THAT EVERY TIME AND WHEN I DO THE CHANGES THE OIL LOOKS STILL USABLE,ALWAYS START IN THE MORNING, VERY COMFORTABLE TO DRIVE SPECIALLY ON LONG TRIPS, COOL A/C AND VERY TRUST ABLE."

Great balance between style and economical

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, reliability, style, and comfort"

Cons: "Slightly underpowered but fine for all driving."

Before I did some customizing, this is a great little car.

"I recently traded a large SUV with a gas guzzling engine for this Toyota Corolla. I commute over 80 miles a day for work. It runs smooth and drives great. It has amazing gas mileage, I pay about $50.00 a week in gas when I used to pay triple that. It has style, which I like in a car/truck, but it is also practical. I have two kids so the 4-door is great. I am a pretty big guy at 6'2" and 220 lbs, and I have room to spare in this Corolla. Toyota is known for it's long lasting and reliable vehicles, so I would absolutely recommend a Corolla to friends and family."

Before I did some customizing, this is a great little car.

avg 32/38 mpg, rarely let me down,excellent value.

By on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pros: "corners well,economical,comfortable,cute"

Cons: "attractive to thieves, friends want free taxi ride"

"Purchased used with 42,000 mi.in 2001,it was stolen twice, (and an ex put stuff in the gas tank-twice);only started letting me down when I got sick and could not afford regular preventative maintainence. I never let anyone else drive it on purpose (transmission and electrical problems after it was stolen). In accidents both times it was stolen(frame checked out ok) totally repaired first time-stolen again 3 months later (framestill ok, but trouble with fourth and fifth gears thereafter). Much better than advertised gas milage, highly dependable. I used to sit on the front porch of my apartment just looking at how beautiful it was. Not a 'get-up-and-go' car, so much as a 'get-up-and-go-forever'. Not powerful in leaps and bounds (which wastes gas and wears out your engine anyway);steady and strong, good for the long haul with a really roomy trunk. Not a lot of leg room in the back seat, but that's just fine, I didn't want to run a taxi anyway!"

Great Car - I Love to keep for another 5 years

By on Friday, December 9, 2011

"I love the way this car drives, starts, efficency. I wish, I can repair the AC without spending too much money"

I love this car best ever

By on Friday, December 9, 2011

Pros: "this car can make it throw anything"

"Its a champ in the snow. One time i had to come home in a foot and a half of snow, I was literally pushing snow with my bumper and it was working great. It has been in my family since it was new. In high school i used to take it 4-wheeling in the back woods. This car is a tank nothing can break it. Love my baby."

Great car!! A little small.

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "great drive, worth the price, very safe."

Cons: "small cab"

"My second car, My Toyota got me through 2 years of high school, driving 30 minutes both ways. It rides well, and I have had minimal engine trouble. The only problem I have really had with my Toyota is that I feel cramped in the cab. I'm fairly short, so it might cause a problem for others."

Love it

By on Sunday, January 2, 2011

"Had it for ten years now, runs great... not pretty to look at... but 37mpg isn't anything to complain about!"

Awesome car

By on Tuesday, June 8, 2010

"I got this car 3 years ago from a family firend's tow yard, it has ran great. It is really good on gas like all toyotas and it easy to drive and it really lasts, mine has somewhere around 223,000 miles on it and it still runs great. and if and when it does need fixing its usually super cheap."

Brilliant - Will only ever buy Corollas!

By on Friday, April 17, 2009

"I love my Toyota Corolla and would never drive another car! It is amazing on gas (6 hours on the highway is one fill-up of 10 gallons) and is very, very dependable. My car is a 1996 and I have never had a problem that required going to the mechanic. I live in a cold weather climate and summer or winter, I never have any prolems starting the car or driving. It also handles really well in the snow. I live on a hill and only the 4WD cars and my Corolla can get up when it snows! I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking to purchase a new or used car."

Rock Solid!

By on Saturday, March 25, 2017

Pros: "Runs forever. 5sp has plenty of acceleration."

Cons: "Not a girl magnet."

"I brought the car to a local shop to have the timing belt changed at 200k just because I was doing a 500 mile a week commute for a few months and didnt want to risk getting stranded. The mechanic popped open the hood and said - Oh, you have the good one - This engine is rock solid and just keeps on going. He was referring to 1.6L and said engine type was rock solid and definitely preferred over the 1.8L. I make a point to only use ethanol free gas and get up to 38mpg highway. The car is over twenty years old and gets better gas mileage than most cars put out today - something wrong with that. I do try to keep it at 65mph or less just for the fact engine and transmission is not made for higher revs/speed. I have had to replace plastic inner door handles due to dry rot. Replaced door speakers due to dry rot. Gone through a few sets of tires. Usual stuff. This is a manual 5sp and has original clutch. I assume I have had brakes done but honestly dont remember doing so and not in last ten years (50k miles) anyway. Even battery currently in it is 10 years old and doing just fine. I suspect I didnt have to change timing belt. My parents wanted me in something more current with safer technology - side airbags and bigger I guess and offered me 25k so I could buy a Dodge Ram but I kept the Toyota 1.6L. If something goes catastrophically wrong on a new car I could be out 2k just for air conditioner replacement (oh and air works great and has never been touched) so I saw no reason to fix it if it was not broke. If something went wrong with current car I would probably search for a maintained Toyota 1.6L"

I drove it and it never died. 200000 miles

By on Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Pros: "great"

Cons: "really none. It served me well."

"REALLY great car. I probably will not find a car then I can treat it terrible and it wouldn't die."

car always ran great

By on Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "no cup holders"

"the car has always run great. front windows do not operate. slight dent in door."

Fantastic car!!

By on Friday, December 13, 2013

Pros: "great on gas, great in the snow, small."

Cons: "lack of cup holders, no cd player, slow"

"I bought my 94 corolla a year ago..i just had it inspected and it needed nothing!! The gas mileage is wonderful, and it's great in the snow. I have never had even the smallest issue with this car. I absolutely love it!"

great car

By on Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Pros: "great"

Cons: "great"

"Great car keep it maintained will run for ever well close to forever get36mpg on road at 65mph an about 26mpg in town, had to make a emirgancy turn once real sharp to the left car handled great car a little noisy but not bad pretty good ride as far a comfort is concernd"

excellent car

By on Monday, March 25, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage, reliable, does good in snow"

Cons: "cup holders are small"

"I bought this car a few months ago i have had 0 issues with it right now the odomiter says it has 180,000 miles on it. All around this car has been good to me. There has really on been three minor things the cup holders are tiny, the AC doesn't work (we think it is a fuse, and the car has a shake on cold mornings. But this car has been my best friend it gets good gas mileage and does really well on gravel/snow i couldn't have asked for a better first car for the price i paid 1,500 for it and it is worth way more then that."

best car ever

By on Friday, February 22, 2013

Pros: "everything except size if you are 5'9 or taller"

Cons: "size and handles"

"you can count on great mpg and long lasting runs like new think you have to shoot these cars to kill them lol just trat it nice and it will keep you moving"

I love this car!!!

By on Monday, February 18, 2013

"It's a great car with excellent gas mileage. I get about 29 mpg on average. The only annoying thing about it is how loud it is and how much it vibrates."

This car has been good to me.

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pros: "Long term cost with lack of break downs saves $$$"

Cons: "could be bigger inside but then get a Camery"

"This car has saved me alot of money over others by not needing repairs, 30 miles to a gallon. Top MPG was 36 with no AC and driving 70 MPH all freeway. Interior held up very well."