2000 Toyota Avalon

9.4

Based on 453 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

Avalon Safety

By on Monday, February 18, 2008

"I owned a 1999 Avalon and experienced a car traveling into my lane. It hit me head on. My car front end went from about 5 feet long to 2 feet long and the car was knocked off to a side road quit a distance. The emergency people thought that there was going to be major injuries by looking at the car. I was sadly informed that the car that hit me, that the driver will need to go through several reconstructive surgeries. The impressive thing was that my windshield only had a small crack in the bottom left corner, I had bruising from the seat belts and a small burn from the air bag and my son had a slight concussion. Pretty impressive so of course I would only purchase another Avalon because I feel safer."

The Avalon is one of the best cars I have ever own

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pros: "Economical, luxury, comfortable, handles great...."

Cons: "None!"

"I have had an Avalon since 1995. I have always purchased a lease trade back in from the dealer. Always around 45,000 to 50,000 miles and at that age is like buying a new car. The Avalon is not what a youngster would buy, so usually an older person who would take car of the vehicle is the type of buyer for this great vehicle. I just found a 2008 Avalon Limited ( the top of the line) with 6,900 miles on the odometer.......fabulous find, and I love it. It rides as good as a Lexus or any Benz. If you like a bigger luxury type car with 29 miles to the gallon.......get one today. You won't be sorry if the one you get was cared for by the previous owner or a Toyota Certified Dealer."

great car!

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

"I bought this car used with 96000 miles. I have put 70000 miles on it and done nothing by maintenance. It is 11 yrs old and drives like a new car. It is dependable and solid car that is just starting to get broke in."

Adding to the Echo Chamber in Here: Great! Best!

By on Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Rims and Tint - It's all this car needed to become the FULL PACKAGE!

"Rather than repeat everything that others have said about how awesome this car is, I'll only add what hasn't been said. HANDLING/STEERING: This is not a sports car. I am still pleasantly surprised at how well it can corner despite its weight, and how tight, but light, the steering response seems to be. I upsized my rims, and it has improved my handling. See Style section for more details. RELIABILITY: I'm a stickler for preventative maintenance, as in, I follow the book to the 'T'. It's my bible. This car has done one thing; destroyed my OCD around maintenance. I realize all of the maintenance on a car has significant safety factors built in, especially from Toyota; a super conservative company. But I felt like I had 80% of the life left in all components I've replaced to date. The biggest scheduled maintenance I've done is the timing belt. Along with it I went ahead and did the water pump, pulleys, tensioner, camshaft actuator, and the two seals. Well, when I asked for my old parts to take a look at wear, they looked new. NEW! Seriously, the old timing belt still had the white Toyota logo on it still. Well, at least now I know, even after 90k miles I could've probably gone to 150k easily, if not 200k. Well, I’m only at 94k, so I will likely never have to replace any of those components ever again for the life of this vehicle. My only worry is that I used Denso parts rather than exact originals (Aisin, etc.), but it’s supposed to be OEM spec. so hopefully no issues there. Been going full synthetic oil for the engine (runs better and sludge prevention), and regular schedule on transmission and coolant. Nothing exciting there, except that I probably could have easily gotten double the mileage between changes for all of these fluids. I don’t drive like a grandpa either, despite this car’s image, I’m a 27 year old male (see Style section for more on that). Don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating for you to prolong the recommended service intervals, I’m simply stating what Toyota enthusiast have known for years: Toyota over specs. GREATLY. This behavior is awesome for us consumers. My only unscheduled maintenance was an O2 sensor back at 40-50k miles. STYLE/LOOKS/FIT/FINISH: This car has some nice thick high quality paint. Mine still looks mostly new, just a few chips and dings due to it being 16 years old, but probably far less of such things than a lower quality car’s paint. As a whole this car polishes up really nice still to a mirror finish, and from 5 ft away looks new. The leather is still in tip top shape, the only seat I refinished myself was the drivers, and now the whole car’s interior looks like new again. I try to clean and condition the leather a few times a year, but nothing indicates that without this it would be in any worse shape. Now, for the biggest update to the style in my opinion: NEW RIMS! I mentioned I was a 27 year old guy, well, after getting some nice 18” rims, the whole look of this vehicle is totally different. I personally disliked the bland appearance prior, but put my ego and image in the backseat. Little did I know that such a simple change would be such a drastic change! This thing actually looks….dare I say…sporty now. It definitely fits me much more, it now has the same likeness to the Lexus IS series from the same generation (which makes sense as it’s probably a very similar platform). It’s the look without the harsher, louder ride though; I haven’t noticed any difference in the comfort! Oh yeah, I also got some nice ceramic tint: 35% up front and 5% in the back. I officially declare this car SEXY. TAKE A LOOK AT THE PICTURE, YOU’LL BE AMAZED! Shame I could only upload one."

Rims and Tint - It's all this car needed to become the FULL PACKAGE!

Best car I've ever owned!

By on Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive; roomy yet easy to park; responsive"

"Have owned this car since 2003 (bought it used) and would buy another one today if I could. Original engine still has the power and response it did when we bought it! I plan to drive this car until it quits, but we're closing in on 200K and don't see any signs of major problems."

First (Foreign) vehicle and best one I ever owned

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "Fantastically reliable, no unexpected failures"

Cons: "Absolutely, positively NONE"

"Until 2002, I had almost owned nothing but GM's, Chevy's and Buicks and Chevy Pick Ups. Did some research on internet and talked with friends who owned other cars. Determined Toyota to be best buy and stopped by dealer. Was impressed with Avalon and since it was for my wife and she liked it, we bought it. Had to replace battery once, one oxygen sensor, tires and have serviced regularly, including minor brake job. Absolutely no other problems ever. It never even acted like it didn't want to start. I am so satisfied, I bought a 2014 Avalon, just like it, same color even, plus other bells and whistles. We both love our TOYOTA. Selling the 2002 to my daughter after having 100,000 mile service. Dealing with Toyota (dealers) is much more pleasant than with all "American car" dealers. Plus, Toyota is made in America, so I don't feel guilty about buying foreign products."

Better than expected

By on Friday, December 2, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable, roomy, reliable"

Cons: "Soft suspension"

"I bought a new 2000 XLS in December 1999 after having ordered an Acura TL and found I couldn't get comfortable in the driver's seat. So: across the street to the Toyota dealer. For the first few years, I looked for excuses to get rid of it: it seemed too geriatric, with the Buick Roadmaster ride, large fonts on the center display, etc. But, of course, as I got older while driving it, those features began to look better and better. Seriously, the only flaws worth mentioning have to do with the overly soft suspension. If you have one of these, especially if you buy a low-mileage used one, I recommend you do what I did: Replace the shocks with stiffer, aftermarket ones, like KYB, upgrade all the suspension bushings, and upgrade both the size and quality of the tires. I've got a set of Continental W-rated M/S tires now that improve the handling tremendously; Michelin Exalto A/S, either H- or V- rated, are also excellent, and you can buy them at Costco, which means free rotation and rebalancing for life. Go at least one size over (I'm using 2 sizing), you won't regret it. Upgrade the brakes whenever you have a chance; at least, use Akebono brake pads. What's worn out after 12 years and 130,000 miles? The catches on the center console and the sunglasses holder. The JBL stereo is good, but at some point, the rear deck speaker blew out, and the part alone is over $200 (it requires more than that in labor to install) so it's now just disconnected. Also, an oxygen sensor was expensive to replace and there are three more of them sitting there waiting to cost money. But: It's fast, economical (although the trip computer is wildly optimistic about mileage), and very spacious and comfortable. The suspension upgrades have stopped it from wallowing on bumpy roads and leaning too much on turns, but the ride is still very smooth. When I first got it, it was in spite of the exterior design; I though I was driving a great white whale! But now it looks like a classic -- simple, clean, and not too big compared, let's say, to the current Avalon. If this car were any better, it would be an ES350, but then my clients would think they were paying for my Lexus."

Great car

By on Sunday, December 18, 2016

"I have owned this vehicle since 2014. My brother bought it used in 2002 and had regular maintenance since that time. Smooth ride, great gas mileage for age and somewhat easy to self maintain. Some have questioned the styling, but for myself, I like the boxy look over the new,lower look due to the claustrophobic feeling of the interiors. Most of the new car features can be added to this car."

Very comfortable and spacious sedan.

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "Very comfortable, good on long trips, spacious"

Cons: "Not great on fuel, feels like a boat in the turns"

"I had this car throughout college and it continues to perform well as a daily driver and for long trips. One of the best road trip sedans I have ever driven or ridden in. The back seat is very spacious, and it has a very roomy trunk. There was so much space in this car I would use it to move in and out of my dorm room in college. Granted, it was filled to the brim. Repairs have been minimal, and the car has proved to be very reliable. I think it is a great alternative to the more expensive luxury sedans (such as Lexus), in that it has many great features at reasonable price. It will likely not have as many features as a Lexus, but if you don't mind missing out on some of the luxury then the Toyota Avalon is a great choice. The interior quality isn't bad at all, but it isn't particularly elegant. I must mention that I really enjoy the JBL audio system. I cannot overstate how comfortable the seats are and the amount of room the car offers. There is ample elbow and head room. I am 6'3" and find there to be plenty of leg room as well. Even with my seat all the way back there is plenty of room in the back for the passengers. The suspension is very soft. This provides excellent ride comfort, but a lot of sway under tight cornering. Compared to smaller cars (such as a Toyota Corolla) the Avalon handles like a boat. However, it has a better turning radius than other large sedans. My Avalon also has an extremely strong parking brake. Overall, it's a great value for money. I have found it to be reliable, comfortable, and spacious. Fuel economy isn't great, but it isn't terrible either. It is great for long trips and daily driving."

Happy with choice. Will stick with Toyota.

By on Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Pros: "Very reliable. Avalon is a great car."

Cons: "Brakes could be better."

"Great quality. Company is very reliable. Could have better bakes. Had to replace rotor and calibers twice. But park it outside, in all fairness"

Runs like new

By on Saturday, February 9, 2013

Pros: "Great engine, runs smooth and picks up speed easy"

Cons: "bad shocks and paint chips easy"

"I've bought this car in 2003, the only things i have done is oil change, new tires and brakes, however, i have never have had problems with the engine or transmission. I highly recommend buying a toyota. Best car ever and it has 98,000 miles and the engine picks up speed as if its NEW. This car is still going strong, runs better than alot of those new cars coming out. The 2 problems the car has is that the paint chips fairly easy, and the shocks are not that great. I had to replace them because i thought something was wrong with them, however, replacing them made no difference."

Pricy but worth it!

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

"Cabin is roomy enough even if you're 2 meters tall, back seat is even sufficient for tall people. Upholstery is nice and has worn very well. Engine is powerful and responsive, and it handles well in all situations I've encountered. The audio system is wonderful, albeit now somewhat dated. No major maintenance problems, just a component here and there wearing out, maybe $1500 of repair costs outside of regular recommended maintenance over 11.5 years of ownership."

More Practical Less Pretentious Lexus

By on Monday, October 13, 2008

"the title sums it up. many things amaze me about this car but two in particular 1)great MPG HWY: up to 32.5 avg. 31 City) 20-21 avg. 2) the toyota quality: this car drives perfectly, the cabin is silent and large, it's the newest used csr i've ever owned, it's very luxurious with taste, lot'a of attention to drivers needs -- storage bins everywhere, huge cupholders -- it's very intuitive. The only thing very similar actually they are sort-of twins with minor and flawed items to the Lexus ES 300. Lexus is pretentious, requires premium fuel, and goes overboard to the point of bad taste in the name of luxury. And, it's smaller. They are equal in durability, but the Toyota is much less expensive on maintenence and repair costs. It's just common sense here. Research for yourself. Good Luck!"

Good, Reliable Car, Cosmetic Issues

By on Sunday, May 8, 2016

Pros: "Smooth ride, comfortable, reliable under the hood"

Cons: "All the stuff that fell apart inside."

"We still own this car and love it. After 13 years, it still feels like you are riding on air when you drive. There have been some minor issues... the center console fell apart a few years ago, the handle on the driver side seat adjustment broke a few months ago, the rear speakers rattle when you listen to music, which began about six years ago, and about four years ago the driver side window began engaging and rolling down on its own randomly; the sunroof started opening on its own about a year ago. However, we have had zero trouble under the hood. No weird sounds, no transmission issues, engine is good."

Avalons are the best

By on Tuesday, November 25, 2008

"I have owned 5 of them. This 2000 has 185000+miles. Use no oil, no leaks. Everything works except the JBL CD. No car can compete with Avalon for value or quality. I have spent less than $1000 on normal repairs on this vehicle. Still drives better than most new cars."

Avalon

By on Monday, February 11, 2008

"2000 was the first model year for this Avalon style. I have driven 25K miles per year, both in the cold of New England and the heat of Florida. Very reliable and still gives a quiet, comfortable ride after 200K miles."

Best Car Value Around

By on Wednesday, December 5, 2007

"I have owned my 2001 Avalon since new. This car is the best car value anywhere. I have 120000 miles of trouble free motoring. Just normal maintenance and I changed the oil every 3000-4000 miles. Large comfortable and roomy. While at the dealership getting new brakes last week I purchased another new 2008 Avalon. Many of my friends and family have also purchased an Avalon based on my positive recommendation and experience. I kept my old Avalon to drive as a secord car. Shoot, with 120,000 miles it just getting broken in. What's really amazing is how the resale value has stayed so high. After owning it for 7+ years and 120,000 miles it is still worth about 33% of what I paid for it. I've owned big BMW's and Mercedes but the Avalon is 90%-95% as good as these other cars that cost 3 times more....the only real difference is the Avalon is a V6 vs. V8 in the high end expensive brands. The overall quality of the Avalon is every bit as high."

see below

By on Wednesday, May 8, 2013

"I bought this car new in 2000. It has been an excellent choice. Service has been wonderful. I get asked if I have a new car. Comfort on trips are the best. The leather is in great shape. I have been so pleased with how the paint has held up so well. It still drives like a new car. I am always proud of my Avalon! I would buy another one!!"

Rroomy interior

By on Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Pros: "Excellent value large sedan."

Cons: "Handling on wet roads could be better."

"The Avalon is the best large sedan available. It has ample room for adults in both front and rear seats. The car is exceptionally quiet with a smooth ride and many subtle extras that improve its function. For example, there are hand grips above each door, air and heat ducts in both front and rear seats and hidden (pocketed) trunk hardware as well as many other small things that add up to better function and convenience. The car has performed extremely well, with routine maintenance and required no major repairs. All in all, the care has far exceeded my expectations."

Better than Lexus LS400

By on Monday, January 16, 2012

Pros: "Smooth ride, spacious interior, regular unleaded,"

Cons: "Horizontal oil filter spills during changes."

"In 1998, we bought a '94 Lexus LS 400 and it was a wonderful car. After 8 years of ownership, it was time to go. We decided on a 2002 Avalon XLS with 48000 miles. This has been the greatest car. It rides every bit as quiet as the Lexus. It uses regular unleaded instead of premium (at 30 cents per gallon cheaper).We average 26mpg on the highway and 20 around our rural town; compared to 21/16. At 137000 miles, we just took a 600 mile trip to Florida for Christmas week, and nearly did it on one tank; averaging 28mpg overall. I am much more comfortable driving the Avalon than I was in the Lexus. I am 6' tall. I can sit in the very comfortable rear seat with the driver seat all the way back, and still not touch the front seat with my knees. This wasn't the case with the Lexus. I change the oil every 3000 to 4000 miles. Never had an engine problem. I did have a dealer do the 100000 mile service(spark plugs, timing belt, etc.) Nothing done to the transmission. I had the struts changed at 125000 even though the mechanic said they were OK. I am getting a few dashboard warning lights on for the VSC which the mechanic's computer won't diagnose. They go off for a week and then come back on. All in all, if we do get tired of this Avalon, there will be another one in our future."

Perfect Combination of Luxury and Reliability

By on Thursday, December 11, 2008

"Bought from lease return with about 30K miles, now 100K. Comfortable to drive. Change oil every 3K and regular major maintance and it should be good for another 100K at least. Even the back seat is comfortable for large adults. This is what I always thought a luxury car should be like."

Great Car!

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"I've owned my 2002 Toyota Avalon for 7 mos..It has been the best car I've ever owned. I bought it w/ 98k miles and I feel that it is just broke in. Exellent ride as well. I definitely would suggest an Avalon to others looking for a great car at an affordable price."

By on Wednesday, November 7, 2007

"Best car I've ever had. Averaging 25 MPG in town and 29 on the Hwy. Never a problem."

By on Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"Bought this car new and love it. It has a large interior though the outside looks smaller. And--what a ride--it's like floating. The car is very responsive. I love the styling of this year model over the newer body styling. The reliability is second to none. I would buy another."

Great Value

By on Monday, July 9, 2007

"Lexus quality without the Lexus price. Can't wait to hand this down to my kicks and buy a new one."