ZIP code

1997 Toyota Avalon

9.4

Based on 329 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

1st Car

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"My parents gave me my 97 Avalon in 2005 and I completely love it. I go to school 4 hours from home and have had to move myself in and out of dorm rooms multiple times. Only if I have furniture do I need any help moving. My car is able to fit nearly all of my belongings and has no trouble taking the load across the state. I currently have 159,000 miles and my fiancee tries to tell me to get a new car when I graduate because he thinks mine has too many miles. I tell him, "But Honey, it's a Toyota, they don't die." I've had no major problems, and I take care of all the regualr maintence. I've had to get some tires here and there, and that's it for major work. If I don't get another Avalon, I will DEFINATELY be staying in the Toyota family!"

BEST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED

By on Monday, February 18, 2008

"I HAVE OWNED THIS CAR SINCE NEW AND NOW HAVE 202,000 MILES ON IT AND NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS YET. I HAVE NOT REPLACED ANY OF THE USUAL SUSPECTS IE, STARTER,ALTERNATOR,WATER PUMP,POWER SYEERING PUMPS,AC FANS ETC. I CAN'T KILL THIS THING. NO RATTLES AND THE LEATHER INTERIOR IS STILL LIKE NEW. THE ONLY PROBLEM I'VE HAD IS WITH THE PAINT WHICH HAS PEELED AROUND ALL OF THE DOOR HANDLES."

Love it

By on Friday, January 25, 2008

"I love this car so much. I have had it for 7 years and I would not change a thing about it. The back seat is huge as is the trunk. It drives very well, almost as well as my mom's LS430. I have heard newer Avalons don't drive as well but I don't know. Mine gets between 24 and 28 miles per gallon. The leather is very comfortable and endures wear and tear incredible!! :) I have taken wonderful care of this car and it has taken care of me."

expensive to repair

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2007

"Bought my 99 xls used in 2002 with 74000 miles, now 135000. Have to say that it is the most comfortable car I have ever owned, for front or (especially) rear passengers. It is nice for 5 people riding around in great comfort. Trips are never tiring. Still rides as good as when I bought it and people "always" comment on its comfort. Gas mileage is terrific 20/32, which is one main reason I am not in a hurry to get rid of it. Pleasurable to drive. On the downside, as noted in some other reviews, common problems that are more frequent and more expensive (at dealer repair) than you would expect 1. brake rotors and pads-turned and replaced multiple times ($1000, maybe more), same as my other toyota. 2. air conditioning compressor ($800) 3. ignition switch ($400!!!) 4. 2 oxygen sensors ($700)"

In case of accident

By on Sunday, December 9, 2007

"I had an accident, hydroplaned and rolled this vehicle. It held up very, very well. All passengers, if buckled in, would have been virtually unharmed. Thankfully I was the only one in the vehicle and was wearing my seatbelt. The reinforcement is great where it needs to be. BRAVO TOYOTA!!!"

Excellent Auto for Auto Enthusiast wanting comfort

By on Saturday, May 4, 2013

Pros: "Executive Style Car Gold Pearl Exterior Gold Trim"

"Excellent auto for auto enthusiast who wants to use personal touch to keep in excellent shape and enjoy a comfortable ride. 2nd Owner [ 1st Owner Retired Lady ]as I am. Excellent gas mileage, closer to 19 miles in city. Low maintenance, Oil changed every 3,000 miles. New Tires drives well. Easy to handle no strain [ I have been in Therapy for 2 years after previous Auto accident.] Brakes easily. Interior luxury Leather seats very conmfortable with Lumbar [ My back injuries never caused me pain ]. Heater works well in cold weather. Beautiful color and trim, shows off well at night reflects light well for safety. SunRoof shade gives good airflow without being uncomfortable in warm weather."

Great car, powerful and reliable

By on Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"This is my first car. I got it when it had 135000 miles on it. Although the check engine light was on (misfire code),it did not give any problems. But gas mileage is not that good, especially on local roads."

Love this car

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"I have owned this car for years and loved it"

Great quality. Will buy another Avalon

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "Quality, Reliability, Great Ride,"

Cons: "paint quality, CD Changer"

"Great car"

I love my Avalon

By on Sunday, January 15, 2012

"This comfortable car fit my family of five without crowding. It has been reliable for 12 years with minimal repairs. The CD player died early. I will replace the Avalon with another in a few tens of thousands of miles, hoping Toyota has ironed out its recent quality issues."

top notch, well worth the investment

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "nothing"

"I bought my third Avalon, a 1998 in 2006 when we needed a car for running errands, we purchased it with 130k and have driven it cross country three times and have never had one issue with it, like I said its our third Avalon and the oldest one we have owned, however it is our least costly one to keep on the road, I would say to anyone wanting a good used car, reliable, fuel economy, roomy, power, and any other adjective you want to throw in; buy a Avalon and buy peace of mind."

the best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Monday, November 21, 2011

Pros: "comfortable"

"I have had this car for an approximate of 10 yrs now and it has been the best experience I have had with any other vehicle. This car runs great no major issues right now it has 255000 miles on it and I'm thinking to leave it to my son in five more years for him to drive it as his first car. I have no issues what so ever. Excellent car."

excellent car!

By on Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pros: "great drive"

Cons: "no backseat cup holders"

"toyotas are known to last forever and this car is sure to keep going and going!! even though it is old, the car still runs and drives great and is comfortable for all passangers!"

Great traveling car, gets 30mpg, comfort excellent

By on Friday, October 7, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive ,very comfortable, lots of room"

Cons: "can't think of any"

"Car has been dealer maintained since new"

Best Car I ever Bought!

By on Saturday, April 16, 2011

"Two years ago we received A white 1996 Toyota avalon from my mother, and we loved it so much we bought a white 1997 Toyota Avalon for our daughter. We Love them. We always get compliments and when we tell them it's a 1997, they can't beleive it!. Good job on the designing of this Toyota!!! They both have over 200,000 miles and they are going strong!!!! If your wondering if you should buy one, DO IT!!!"

Solid value

By on Monday, March 1, 2010

"I've repaired or replaced what ever went wrong and I must say this car is just like driving a new car. You could not get a better vehicle for the money. As long as you repair these things they just won't quit. And when you do repair them you just bought 20 more years of new car on the cheap."

Will last forever...

By on Friday, June 26, 2009

"Recieved this car with about 200,000 miles on it. Drove it for five years and sent it on its way with 314,000 miles on it. The only thing that ever went wrong with it for these miles was it needed a new starter. Can't imagine how much an american car would cost to run between 200,000 - 300,000 miles! Great V6 performance, classic styling, would have kept it forever, upgraded to a 2001 avalon."

best car I've ever bought

By on Thursday, May 28, 2009

"bought my 96 avalon 11 years ago with75000 mi. now has 250000 mi. and has never had a major repair.added freon to the ac for the first time last week. you can't wear this car out"

candoforyou

By on Thursday, August 7, 2008

"Going on 10 years now as I bought it in 1998. No major services needed. Always take to a mechanic (not Toyota Dealer) after warranty as they try to sell you more stuff which your car never needed but they said it did. Will buy new 2009. Hope it is just as reliable. Tires that came with car were cheap and lasted less than 20,000 miles and suspension was poor, wind noise was a problem too as seal was not good. Paint chips off easily so just get used to it on a white car."

Best Car I ever had

By on Sunday, June 8, 2008

"We bought this car with 40,000 miles on it. It currently has 170,000. It is by far the best car I ever had. There is really nothing about this car that I don't like! It has been to Texas and back 5 times, to South Carolina and back, it drives like a dream. I will be very sad when it ceases to run. As a matter of fact, I will search for the same car with less miles. I am not sure I will find it, but I am willing to try! Best car ever!"

'99 Avalon, good value

By on Saturday, May 24, 2008

"Our '99 Avalon XLS Platinum Edition has given us 4 years of nearly trouble-free motoring. Best thing is the 200HP motor with 20/28 real-world MPG in the CA suburbs and highways on regular gas. It's a pretty soft ride, softer and more boring than I like, but I can't find a reason to get rid of it at just 75K miles. Worst experience was when the right rear door decided to lock and stay locked. The dealer had to take the door apart from the inside to get it repaired, a $600 job. No problem with engine sludge, tranny, or interior bits. This is a pretty decent car that has never left us stranded. Aside from regular maintenance/wear items (and that door) the car is something we never have had to worry about."

It's Got Lots More Miles Left!

By on Friday, May 23, 2008

"I am the original owner and had for 13 + years. Planned to drive this till it died. I'm at 132k now. It's got lots more miles left. Very low maintenance. Original brakes went over 110,000 when I felt they just should be changed - even if the mechanic said they were still OK! It has just been an ideal car all of these years!"

Excellent

By on Saturday, May 3, 2008

"I have a 1995 Avalon, and have owned this Avalon since 1996. It has only needed the timing belt replaced in its 215,000 mile life, and that repair was preventative, not needed. Other cars may look nicer or have a sportier ride but if you are looking for a car that will last a good 10-15 years with little upkeep than look no further. I plan to buy another Avalon after this one dies."

Amazing Car

By on Monday, April 28, 2008

"I bought this car new in 1995 and it has been an amazing car. It's comfortable, roomy, rides nice, has a great stereo, looks great and has had only regular maintenance mechanical work done on it. The reliability is unbelievable but believe it. I put gas in it and give it a periodic oil change. I'm thinking maybe five more years and then I'll sell it."

I LOVE this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2008

"My dad bought the 96 xls new and put 186k miles on it before giving it to me. I've put an additional 50k on it and I absolutely love it! There is plenty of room in the front, back and trunk. Next car I buy will be a Toyota!!!"