2012 Toyota 4Runner

Based on 214 Ratings for the 2010 - 2017 models.

Great all around vehicle & BULLETPROOF reliabily

By on Sunday, November 20, 2016

Pros: "Reliability, value, all weather capability."

Cons: "??"

"2014 (5th generation) Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4, purchased new. This 4Runner is used for a mix driving. Everything from work commuting (120 mile round trip), hauling the boat (~4,500 lbs), family and pup transporter & to work around our property. During the week, it averages ~ 20 mpg with ~95% interstate driving on cruise at 70mph. On the weekends it gets everything from hauling the boat to and from the lake, moving fencing materials (post, wire ect) and taking the family on outings. We do follow the factory recommended maintenance and have had ZERO failures (I really mean ZERO, not a single issue...with anything). I would like to see more power (and a diesel option) and better connected steering (lacks feel). Though it has no problem getting up to highway speed or towing a load it's just not as quick as other vehicles I own or have owned. Previous BMW owner here and while the 4Runner is slower the BMWs are junk compared to the 4Runner in terms of reliability. I won't even mention cost to own compared to the 4Runner. The BMW will make you a poorer person. We have the Limited 4x4. It comes with full time 4x4 via torsion center diff (think modern AWD with a lockable 2 speed center diff (think old farm truck). The lockable hi/low speed 4x4 can be selected from the drivers seat and 4x4 low is the only selection needing the vehicle to come to a stop. It performs amazing in all conditions including rain, snow and mud (it gets all three several times a year). With the Limited we have heated and cooled seats (nice), JBL sound (great), nav, onboard weather and traffic, leather, sunroof, heated mirrors and wiper blade area and some other added features not offered on the other trims. I'm a person who enjoys new vehicles and would like to have a new one now but, this one is still like new with ZERO issues so can't justify purchasing another...my next will however be another 4Runner. On a side note, the 4Runner is one of the few remaining SUVs still build as a body on frame and not a unibody and it's still manufactured in Japan (I like both). For the 6th (other than a diesel option) I'd like to see Toyota add it's safety suite including all speed dynamic cruise control, automatic emergency breaking, lane keeping assist, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert with breaking & dynamic guidelines while in reverse. Also an improvement in the small offset crash test results would be nice. I hope they do NOT install the current 3.5L V6 from the Tacoma (the 2GR-FKS). Overall, this is an outstanding value for a one car or family vehicle."

Love my 4Runner

By on Monday, January 30, 2017

Pros: "spacious, peppy engine, extremely reliable,"

Cons: "not good for long legs, stiff ride"

"With over 216000 miles, I am considering replacing my 2007 Toyota 4Runner. This is a difficult decision because I have never owned a vehicle that has been as reliable. The only reason I am not replacing it with another 4Runner is because of leg room. My husband is 6'4" and does not fit comfortably behind the wheel. This is not an issue for me. We have NEVER had any work done on this vehicle other than replacing tires, changing oil, battery (twice) serpentine belt and windshield. Seriously, no issues with this car. I'm scared to buy anything else after the reviews I've read about other makes and models."

Tundra to 4Runner.

By on Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Pros: "Decent MPG, Drives like a truck, comfy seats"

Cons: "No blind spot monitoring, needs better storage,"

"Traded in a 2007 Tundra with over 200,000 trouble free miles. I wanted something smaller so I looked at the Tacoma. Seating position was too low and no power seat was a deal breaker. Saw a Blizzard Pearl Limited 4Runner on lot (never considered this an option) and thought I would take it was a test drive. Well after a 20 min test drive I was sold. Some reviewers claim the 4Runner is underpowered and the 5 speed is outdated. Yes the engine and transmission is old compared to other SUV's but it drives amazing on the highway and in town. The power (torque) is at the top end of the engine RPM but once you learn how to drive this truck you will appreciate how powerful and smooth the engine is. A few missing features that should be included in a $40,000+ truck. Blind spot monitoring, power liftgate, power folding mirrors, and better storage options. Mileage has been 18-19 MPG which is great coming from a 13MPG Tundra."

navagation is some what out dated.

By on Monday, November 21, 2016

Pros: "dependability"

Cons: "navagation and radio out dated"

"over all would recommend buy should go 300000 miles like my last two did on about $1000 in real repairs"

Still Going

By on Monday, February 6, 2017

Pros: "Zero Maint. room, versatility"

Cons: "Gas miliage"

"Owned a 2004 4Runner and just changed to the 2016 SR5 Premium. Great mover. Feels like the same vehicle I just owned and had no issues with, but newer, and a few more toys. Pleasure to own."

no repairs at all in 96000 just regular maintance

By on Saturday, February 4, 2017

Pros: "has plenty of power for my needs"

Cons: "gps is old school"

"Have had 2 Tacomas each with 300000 miles plus less than 1000 repairs on each! Hopefully the forerunner does the same as it is on a Tacoma frame and motor. only negative is milage 17.70 new that going in"

2016 4Runner SR5 Premium 5 stars *****

By on Saturday, January 28, 2017

Pros: "Great value for the price, we love our 4Runner"

Cons: "4wd selector is an weird place, thats it"

"This is a highly under rated vehicle. We love it. We owned a 2004 4Runner prior to purchasing this. The reliability on the 4Runners (at least for us) has been great. Vehicle is on a truck frame so the ride is little different than a crossover but it is not an issue to us at all. We love that the rear window goes up and down. Controls are easy. The one thing, the 4WD selector is in a weird place, right next to the front cup holder. I think a better place would have been next to heat controls, more out of the way. Head room with sun roof is a about 1" less than our older model, but so far not an issue. Backup camera is nice to have. Engine has plenty of power. We have noticed the mileage is 1-2 MPG lower than our old model and whats rated but we live in a very cold climate and maybe it needs to be broke in also. We are seeing 19 MPG HWY & 16-17 average. Not sure we will monitor and see what changes come summer. Seats are comfortable, ride for us is quiet. View area is clear, A-pillars are not overly obstructive."

Traded a 2014 SR5 for a 2016 SR5 Premium

By on Monday, January 2, 2017

Reason: Lease a new 4 runner

Pros: "Lots of extras in every model"

Cons: "gas mileage , added running boards for better look"

"I hunt every fall in upper MI off road on 2 tracks. Never a problem very sure footed. Hi-way driving was comfortable and safe, dry, rain or snow. Base model is well equipped. My 2nd SR5 premium has sun roof, pseudo leather, w/out the extra seating. Plenty of room with a nice roof rack, heated seats, both electric adjustments."

Love this truck, just like my last one 1998

By on Friday, January 6, 2017

Pros: "Safe, reliable, low maintenance. Overall champion."

Cons: "Blind Spot, parking assist, brake assist, lack DVD"

"I went from a 1998 4runner SR5 to a 2012 Limited. Loved both and will continue to buy the 4runner. I bought the CPO Limited with 45k in 2014. It performs very well in all conditions. Was just in a snow storm in VT(12 inches) and have 4/32 left of tread on the tires. You would have thought they were snow tires. Not an inkling of hesitation in the snow when in H4X4. During week I use as a commuter vehicle and get 18mpg. Love it and its versatility. When I have 150k on it, will sell to someone for 10k and get another CPO. That's the way to get the most value out of Toyotas."

Great quality value

By on Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Pros: "Quality build, smooth ride, storage space, quite"

Cons: "Poor MPG, essential tech features"

"I previously owned a Jeep Wrangler Sahara valued at $42k, the Limited 4Runner is at $45k, at a $3k difference the value of the 4Runner Limited is far greater. The quality build, solid components, materials used, smooth ride, quite ride, engine and transmission operate smoother, much more room. It really is surprising how much of a difference $3k makes between these two vehicles. I had the Wrangler for over 45,000 miles and there were always small issues here and there. The 4Runner has been solid through 14,000 miles. The ride comfort makes driving long distances a breeze. Tons of storage space and even more with the seats folded down. The automatics running boards are an add one but I feel are worth it for the convenience and style factor. On the down side the gas mileage is just as terrible as the Wrangler Sahara which either means the Wrangler had decent gas mileage or the 4Runner is just plain bad. As an example a co-worker drives a 12yr old 4Runner and we get the same mpg @ 16 city and 19 highway. At this price point and cost it is missing a few items: 1 - blind spot sensors 2 - additional wood grain options 3 - additional camera viewing angles 4 - remote start There are Mazda 3's, Chevy Cruze and Honda Fits as an example that have these features at nearly half the price. Overall I am pleased with the 4Runner and would recommend as a purchase to others."