2011 Toyota 4Runner

Based on 220 Ratings for the 2010 - 2018 models.

4Runner 4Ever!

By on Thursday, September 14, 2017

Pros: "Quality, dependability, durability, fun to drive"

Cons: "No blind-spot monitoring"

"Purchased new Gray Metallic w/Redwood seats 2017 4Runner Limited 4X4 and loving it! Rides very comfortable Id say even fun to drive. Feels sturdy when going over bumps with no rattling. The Limited edition has everything you could want minus the blind spot monitoring which Toyota should include however you do get an excellent field of vision as you sit high like in a truck. I got the optional 3rd row seat since we travel alot with friends and we all pile in but I will say smaller people will fit best back there and only for shorter trips as theres not much leg room. 2nd row seats are great, comfy and roomy and even recline. The V6/270 HP engine is not what I would describe as quick but you can definitely feel the torque of power there when you need to speed up. Its a beautiful vehicle inside and out and well thought out and made and no wonder it hasnt changed much year after year. The Entune Premium JBL infotainment system you will either love or hate and the radio screen is smaller on 4Runners than on the Highlander or even Tacoma Limited editions and Id like to see Toyota change that but over-all Im happy with the phone pairing and use as well as the Navigation features and voice command features of Entune. The AC system is powerful and cold air feels great here in Central Texas. Im still in the break-in period so I have not towed anything yet or been off-roading but those things are legendary for Toyota and the 4Runner so I dont expect any surprises there. If youre considering which 4Runner model to get and you do not plan on doing any serious off-roading Id go with the Limited edition since it has all the creature comforts at the top of the line but is still capable enough to give you 4X4 when you need it. All-in all Im very happy with my purchase and would do it again exactly the same if given a choice. I also have a Tundra and the wife drives an Avalon and we got both through Toyota Financial at zero percent interest but Ive never seen Toyota offer the 4Runner at zero so I ended up going with a local credit union at 3.45 percent for 72 months."

Traded a 2014 SR5 for a 2016 SR5 Premium

By on Monday, January 2, 2017

Reason: Lease a new 4 runner

Pros: "Lots of extras in every model"

Cons: "gas mileage , added running boards for better look"

"I hunt every fall in upper MI off road on 2 tracks. Never a problem very sure footed. Hi-way driving was comfortable and safe, dry, rain or snow. Base model is well equipped. My 2nd SR5 premium has sun roof, pseudo leather, w/out the extra seating. Plenty of room with a nice roof rack, heated seats, both electric adjustments."

2016 4Runner SR5 Premium 5 stars *****

By on Saturday, January 28, 2017

Pros: "Great value for the price, we love our 4Runner"

Cons: "4wd selector is an weird place, thats it"

"This is a highly under rated vehicle. We love it. We owned a 2004 4Runner prior to purchasing this. The reliability on the 4Runners (at least for us) has been great. Vehicle is on a truck frame so the ride is little different than a crossover but it is not an issue to us at all. We love that the rear window goes up and down. Controls are easy. The one thing, the 4WD selector is in a weird place, right next to the front cup holder. I think a better place would have been next to heat controls, more out of the way. Head room with sun roof is a about 1" less than our older model, but so far not an issue. Backup camera is nice to have. Engine has plenty of power. We have noticed the mileage is 1-2 MPG lower than our old model and whats rated but we live in a very cold climate and maybe it needs to be broke in also. We are seeing 19 MPG HWY & 16-17 average. Not sure we will monitor and see what changes come summer. Seats are comfortable, ride for us is quiet. View area is clear, A-pillars are not overly obstructive."

Love this truck, just like my last one 1998

By on Friday, January 6, 2017

Pros: "Safe, reliable, low maintenance. Overall champion."

Cons: "Blind Spot, parking assist, brake assist, lack DVD"

"I went from a 1998 4runner SR5 to a 2012 Limited. Loved both and will continue to buy the 4runner. I bought the CPO Limited with 45k in 2014. It performs very well in all conditions. Was just in a snow storm in VT(12 inches) and have 4/32 left of tread on the tires. You would have thought they were snow tires. Not an inkling of hesitation in the snow when in H4X4. During week I use as a commuter vehicle and get 18mpg. Love it and its versatility. When I have 150k on it, will sell to someone for 10k and get another CPO. That's the way to get the most value out of Toyotas."

Great quality value

By on Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Pros: "Quality build, smooth ride, storage space, quite"

Cons: "Poor MPG, essential tech features"

"I previously owned a Jeep Wrangler Sahara valued at $42k, the Limited 4Runner is at $45k, at a $3k difference the value of the 4Runner Limited is far greater. The quality build, solid components, materials used, smooth ride, quite ride, engine and transmission operate smoother, much more room. It really is surprising how much of a difference $3k makes between these two vehicles. I had the Wrangler for over 45,000 miles and there were always small issues here and there. The 4Runner has been solid through 14,000 miles. The ride comfort makes driving long distances a breeze. Tons of storage space and even more with the seats folded down. The automatics running boards are an add one but I feel are worth it for the convenience and style factor. On the down side the gas mileage is just as terrible as the Wrangler Sahara which either means the Wrangler had decent gas mileage or the 4Runner is just plain bad. As an example a co-worker drives a 12yr old 4Runner and we get the same mpg @ 16 city and 19 highway. At this price point and cost it is missing a few items: 1 - blind spot sensors 2 - additional wood grain options 3 - additional camera viewing angles 4 - remote start There are Mazda 3's, Chevy Cruze and Honda Fits as an example that have these features at nearly half the price. Overall I am pleased with the 4Runner and would recommend as a purchase to others."

The best Tonka SUV on the road!

By on Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Pros: "Sips gas, ride, low up keep, performance, style"

Cons: "Spongy brakes, no ventilated seats, antenna"

"After owning two Lexus ES models, this was a great decision for our family. The low cost maintenance, ride, features, and great fuel economy for its size were worth the switch. We have the Limited in Shoreline blue pearl with the blonde interior, which is a great combination. My one complaints are the spongy brakes, lack of ventilated seats and the ugly antenna, which I replaced with a carbon fiber "stubby" unit. We get so many compliments on the vehicle. We have the remote starter, which is great, but I wish the vehicle would continue to run after you enter in the vehicle. We have the push starter, but when you touch the door handle the vehicle shuts off, I understand Toyota's logic, but is annoying. I wish it had more driver specific settings like the GM products, such as memory seats/mirror, individual tire pressure monitors, and expanded S.O.S. Hard to find replacement 20" tires since there are only to manufactures!!! But overall it is a GREAT mode of transportation!!!"

Best Vehicle yet

By on Wednesday, December 1, 2010

"This was my first Toyota and my first SUV. I have been nothing but impressed with this vehicle. Fit, finish and comfort are all top notch. I opted for the Limited and never looked back."

Love my 4Runner

By on Monday, January 30, 2017

Pros: "spacious, peppy engine, extremely reliable,"

Cons: "not good for long legs, stiff ride"

"With over 216000 miles, I am considering replacing my 2007 Toyota 4Runner. This is a difficult decision because I have never owned a vehicle that has been as reliable. The only reason I am not replacing it with another 4Runner is because of leg room. My husband is 6'4" and does not fit comfortably behind the wheel. This is not an issue for me. We have NEVER had any work done on this vehicle other than replacing tires, changing oil, battery (twice) serpentine belt and windshield. Seriously, no issues with this car. I'm scared to buy anything else after the reviews I've read about other makes and models."

Great all around vehicle & BULLETPROOF reliabily

By on Sunday, November 20, 2016

Pros: "Reliability, value, all weather capability."

Cons: "??"

"2014 (5th generation) Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4, purchased new. This 4Runner is used for a mix driving. Everything from work commuting (120 mile round trip), hauling the boat (~4,500 lbs), family and pup transporter & to work around our property. During the week, it averages ~ 20 mpg with ~95% interstate driving on cruise at 70mph. On the weekends it gets everything from hauling the boat to and from the lake, moving fencing materials (post, wire ect) and taking the family on outings. We do follow the factory recommended maintenance and have had ZERO failures (I really mean ZERO, not a single issue...with anything). I would like to see more power (and a diesel option) and better connected steering (lacks feel). Though it has no problem getting up to highway speed or towing a load it's just not as quick as other vehicles I own or have owned. Previous BMW owner here and while the 4Runner is slower the BMWs are junk compared to the 4Runner in terms of reliability. I won't even mention cost to own compared to the 4Runner. The BMW will make you a poorer person. We have the Limited 4x4. It comes with full time 4x4 via torsion center diff (think modern AWD with a lockable 2 speed center diff (think old farm truck). The lockable hi/low speed 4x4 can be selected from the drivers seat and 4x4 low is the only selection needing the vehicle to come to a stop. It performs amazing in all conditions including rain, snow and mud (it gets all three several times a year). With the Limited we have heated and cooled seats (nice), JBL sound (great), nav, onboard weather and traffic, leather, sunroof, heated mirrors and wiper blade area and some other added features not offered on the other trims. I'm a person who enjoys new vehicles and would like to have a new one now but, this one is still like new with ZERO issues so can't justify purchasing another...my next will however be another 4Runner. On a side note, the 4Runner is one of the few remaining SUVs still build as a body on frame and not a unibody and it's still manufactured in Japan (I like both). For the 6th (other than a diesel option) I'd like to see Toyota add it's safety suite including all speed dynamic cruise control, automatic emergency breaking, lane keeping assist, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert with breaking & dynamic guidelines while in reverse. Also an improvement in the small offset crash test results would be nice. I hope they do NOT install the current 3.5L V6 from the Tacoma (the 2GR-FKS). Overall, this is an outstanding value for a one car or family vehicle."

My second 5th generation 4Runner

By on Thursday, April 14, 2016

Pros: "Ruggedness, power, comfort, convenience"

Cons: "5 speed (should have 6 speed at a minimum."

"I purchased a 2010 4Runner when the new 5th generation was introduced. It was an SR5 with part-time 4WD. While I absolutely loved everything about the vehicle, my wife drove it more than I and she did not like having to stop to shift it into 4WD when the roads were snowy/icy. We traded it in after two years of ownership. Fast-forward to 2015 and while looking for a Toyota Sequoia, we saw the 4Runner Limited sitting on the dealer lot and drove off with it a few hours later. This vehicle is not for everyone, so if you're looking to purchase a 4Runner, here are some helpful tips: This is a truck. It's very high off the ground and can be hard to enter/exit (small children need help getting in and out). If you have back problems, getting in can be difficult. This is not an issue for me, but wanted you to be aware. Regarding the 4Runner being a truck, it's body on frame design. This means you don't have to worry about shaking things loose when driving over bumpy roads or terrain. It's solid, and durable. Unlike cross-over or uni-body SUVs, you never have to worry about breaking something loose if you hit a bump. It drives like a truck, feels like a truck, and sits high off the ground like a truck. If you don't like trucks, don't buy the 4Runner. If you want a vehicle that feels powerful with a slight push of the accelerator, you may be disappointed. However, the 4Runner has great power (270 HP 278 lbs torque). I've heard from most people who take one for a test drive that they're not happy with the power. However, the 4Runner has Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence (VVTI) and is meant to feel less powerful at times. It provides less power when you don't need power, and an extremely high amount of power when you do need it. When you need power, it's very simple. You just press down on the pedal more. The pickup in this vehicle is amazing, and the engine sounds like a powerful sports car. I haven't met anyone who has driven this vehicle for a good amount of time talk badly about the power. If gas mileage is a top priority for you, you'll be disappointed. I average about 16 MPG in mixed driving (around 18-20 when driving on highways). You'll make frequent stops at the gas station. The 4WD system can take you anywhere. Face it, the 4Runner is a beast in the snow. It can go anywhere, any time. My favorite thing to do is stopping the middle of a hill in the snow, and then flooring it to go up the hill. Visibility is amazing when sitting in the cockpit. You have a great view of the road and everything around you. Very few blind spots, and the sunroof is extremely large (trust me, you'll want a sunroof in this vehicle). One of my favorite things about the 4Runner is the power rear window. Even though it's not recommended due to fumes, I love driving around on a hot summer day with the sunroof open, and all five windows rolled down. It's the closest thing you can get to having a convertible, and I enjoy every minute of it. I hope these tips help."