2010 Toyota 4Runner

Based on 217 Ratings for the 2010 - 2017 models.

Too bad, could have been perfect...

By on Saturday, March 8, 2014

Reason: poor handling, useless 4WD

Pros: "Great quality, good looks"

Cons: "Poor driving and handling, useless 4WD"

"I traded-in this car about 1 year after I bought it. Never done that with any car before. So let's see: Pros: solid build, nice exterior looks, one of the most reliable vehicles you can find on the market, good re-sale value, great off-road capability (or so they say...). Cons: 1) This vehicle has the worst handling of any vehicle I ever drove. It leans in corners, constantly wobbles on uneven pavement, nose-dives when you break. You can't drive relaxed, you have to be on a constant alert. I understand it's a truck designed for off-road use, but even so it stands out as one of the worst in its class; 2) The 4WD system is useless except if you drive in snow, mud or on any slippery surface for an extended time. The manual says you can't drive on hard surfaces in 4WD mode because it will wear and damage the gears. Fine, but here's the catch: you have to drive minimum 10 miles per month in 4WD to keep the front drive lubricated. Where? Also, what do you choose for light or partial snow, 2WD or 4WD? You decide, I couldn't figure out; 3) The rear drive shaft needs to be lubricated every 10000 miles or 5000 miles if you drive on salty roads. If you don't plan to do that yourself the cost is approx. $50 at the dealer; 4) Despite being rated at 270 hp this vehicle feels slow, especially at moderate speeds (30-40mph). Once you get past that point the acceleration is OK; 4) Changing the oil is difficult because you have to remove a plastic shield and one of the skid plates in order to access the oil filter and plug; 5) The access to third row (if equipped) is difficult and can only be done from the right-side rear door; 6) When you get in the driver's seat your right knee will almost certainly hit the fan speed knob; 7) As soon as you start driving, a strange sound comes from the ignition key area (just one time, for a fraction of a second). I could also hear sharp crack-like sounds coming from the right-side front door panel which would subside after a while; 8) When you turn the heat on, an oil-like smell comes through the vents; 9) When a tiny paint chip came off the hood I noticed the color paint film was very thin. This doesn't necessarily mean the paint system/quality is bad. Some of the cons listed here are inherent to the type of drive system this vehicle is equipped with. I'm not trying to bash the 4Runner, it may turn out to be a great vehicle for you. I just want you to know what you are buying. I wish I knew all these before I bought."

Great SUV

By on Friday, February 5, 2016

Pros: "looks, how it drives, included features"

Cons: "turning circumference"

"This is my third 4runner. I love it. It has enough space but is not big and bulky like some of the comparison SUv's. It has more than enough power. I love the features and options. It is a great vehicle."

Good Vehicle Great Value

By on Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pros: "ROI, Dependable, Bad Weather Handling"

Cons: "Electronics Package"

"Pro: Reliable, Safe, Capable, Comfortable, Value on Trade Con: Navigation hard to use. Blue Tooth connectivity is spotty. Toyota NEEDS to improve their electronics package to match other manufactures features and ease of use. This includes features and a brighter clearer touch screen. Being from Japan, you would think this would be top-notch, but it is not. I recently traded this vehicle in on 2014 4 Runner...this is my third one and so far ( other than the electronics ) I have been very pleased. Handling on the road during bad weather is very good. No problems what-so-ever and I ALWAYS get a good trade in value."

My 2nd 4-runner

By on Sunday, October 13, 2013

Pros: "great reliable drive train, full frame, re-sale va"

Cons: "rides like a small truck, no rear hatch pull down"

"I have a 2003 4-runner with 145k salt belt miles. It still runs and looks like the I bought when it had 65k. Best used vehicle I ever bought, super reliable! We liked it so much we bought a 2012 Trail for my wife. So far its been great as well. The gas mileage isn't as good as my 03, 16.8 vs 18.9, bought it does weigh a bit more. I wish they kept the pull down strap for the rear hatch, it can be fun to watch a short person try to close it, which suprises me since it was made in Japan lol!"

Does not match up to the 2005 4Runner.

By on Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pros: "Good Handlng; Smooth ride; Roomy;"

Cons: "OEM tires; ECO display; Sun Visor; Underpowered;"

"I have just had the first oil change on my 2014 4Runner Trail 4WD for which I traded my 2005 4Runner 4WD Sport. There are a large number of things I do not like about the 2014 model when compared to the 2005. It seems many things were cheapened. LIKES: •Rides very smoothly and handles very well. •Quite roomy for our purposes •Manual heating/cooling much better than the automatic •Time and temperature display can be seen in daylight unless headlights are on •Users manual has page number references •Evidently the rear tail gate no longer has a motorized closure; For the 2005 I spent $1200 on two occasions to have the closure mechanism repaired from the fine dust that entered from our unimproved roads that combined with rainwater. •12v, 110v, and USB outlets DISLIKES: •No bug screen. I did not realize how much that helped with the bugs on the windscreen •Sun visor has a funky small center pull out section which does absolutely no good; 2005 entire sun visor moved on its support and did the job plus it had a small auxiliary visor for the front which was very useful on our winding mountain roads at sunrise and sunset. •A stupid ECO display that tells me when I am accelerating takes up valuable instrument panel display area and is totally worthless and a waste of money. I really DO know when I am accelerating •No covers on storage compartments to keep items from falling out •Time and temperature display cannot be seen in daylight when headlights are on, but could not be seen at all on the 2005 in daylight. •The vehicle is underpowered and cannot easily climb a 20 percent grade on the unimproved road leading to my house. With a light ATV trailer I must be in second gear and in four wheel drive to crawl up •Outside mirror is easily moved when pushed on when mirror has been retracted. 2005 model was much more substantial •Gas cap no longer has a locking mechanism •OEM tires not made for unimproved roads. After 2,000 miles I was climbing the steep hill on the unimproved road to my house, which I drive daily. Something punctured the tire in the center of the tread to an extent that the tire could not be repaired, It forced me to purchase a new tire for a spare and trade in the entire set (for $50.00) for real tires. The same thing can be said for the quality of the OEM tires on the 2005 model; on two occasions, a tire shredded going down my road when they went flat and I did not realize it. •The KDSS is confusing and difficult to understand and seems to be a waste of money for a vehicle that is not routinely used off road. I do need the features to be used in deep snow in the northern mountains of NM. •Not any address can be entered into the Navigational system. If the address has no default it cannot be entered. I cannot enter the street number for a house that is in a long established area. •All four windows being fully automatic down is unnecessary and makes it difficult to crack the windows open to reduce heat buildup •Finally, the emergency kit and the first aid kit have been cheapened - both the contents ant the storage containers"