2010 Toyota 4Runner

Based on 215 Ratings for the 2010 - 2017 models.

Love my 4Runner

By on Monday, January 30, 2017

Pros: "spacious, peppy engine, extremely reliable,"

Cons: "not good for long legs, stiff ride"

"With over 216000 miles, I am considering replacing my 2007 Toyota 4Runner. This is a difficult decision because I have never owned a vehicle that has been as reliable. The only reason I am not replacing it with another 4Runner is because of leg room. My husband is 6'4" and does not fit comfortably behind the wheel. This is not an issue for me. We have NEVER had any work done on this vehicle other than replacing tires, changing oil, battery (twice) serpentine belt and windshield. Seriously, no issues with this car. I'm scared to buy anything else after the reviews I've read about other makes and models."

Tundra to 4Runner.

By on Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Pros: "Decent MPG, Drives like a truck, comfy seats"

Cons: "No blind spot monitoring, needs better storage,"

"Traded in a 2007 Tundra with over 200,000 trouble free miles. I wanted something smaller so I looked at the Tacoma. Seating position was too low and no power seat was a deal breaker. Saw a Blizzard Pearl Limited 4Runner on lot (never considered this an option) and thought I would take it was a test drive. Well after a 20 min test drive I was sold. Some reviewers claim the 4Runner is underpowered and the 5 speed is outdated. Yes the engine and transmission is old compared to other SUV's but it drives amazing on the highway and in town. The power (torque) is at the top end of the engine RPM but once you learn how to drive this truck you will appreciate how powerful and smooth the engine is. A few missing features that should be included in a $40,000+ truck. Blind spot monitoring, power liftgate, power folding mirrors, and better storage options. Mileage has been 18-19 MPG which is great coming from a 13MPG Tundra."

2016 4Runner SR5 Premium 5 stars *****

By on Saturday, January 28, 2017

Pros: "Great value for the price, we love our 4Runner"

Cons: "4wd selector is an weird place, thats it"

"This is a highly under rated vehicle. We love it. We owned a 2004 4Runner prior to purchasing this. The reliability on the 4Runners (at least for us) has been great. Vehicle is on a truck frame so the ride is little different than a crossover but it is not an issue to us at all. We love that the rear window goes up and down. Controls are easy. The one thing, the 4WD selector is in a weird place, right next to the front cup holder. I think a better place would have been next to heat controls, more out of the way. Head room with sun roof is a about 1" less than our older model, but so far not an issue. Backup camera is nice to have. Engine has plenty of power. We have noticed the mileage is 1-2 MPG lower than our old model and whats rated but we live in a very cold climate and maybe it needs to be broke in also. We are seeing 19 MPG HWY & 16-17 average. Not sure we will monitor and see what changes come summer. Seats are comfortable, ride for us is quiet. View area is clear, A-pillars are not overly obstructive."

Traded a 2014 SR5 for a 2016 SR5 Premium

By on Monday, January 2, 2017

Reason: Lease a new 4 runner

Pros: "Lots of extras in every model"

Cons: "gas mileage , added running boards for better look"

"I hunt every fall in upper MI off road on 2 tracks. Never a problem very sure footed. Hi-way driving was comfortable and safe, dry, rain or snow. Base model is well equipped. My 2nd SR5 premium has sun roof, pseudo leather, w/out the extra seating. Plenty of room with a nice roof rack, heated seats, both electric adjustments."

Love this truck, just like my last one 1998

By on Friday, January 6, 2017

Pros: "Safe, reliable, low maintenance. Overall champion."

Cons: "Blind Spot, parking assist, brake assist, lack DVD"

"I went from a 1998 4runner SR5 to a 2012 Limited. Loved both and will continue to buy the 4runner. I bought the CPO Limited with 45k in 2014. It performs very well in all conditions. Was just in a snow storm in VT(12 inches) and have 4/32 left of tread on the tires. You would have thought they were snow tires. Not an inkling of hesitation in the snow when in H4X4. During week I use as a commuter vehicle and get 18mpg. Love it and its versatility. When I have 150k on it, will sell to someone for 10k and get another CPO. That's the way to get the most value out of Toyotas."

Great quality value

By on Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Pros: "Quality build, smooth ride, storage space, quite"

Cons: "Poor MPG, essential tech features"

"I previously owned a Jeep Wrangler Sahara valued at $42k, the Limited 4Runner is at $45k, at a $3k difference the value of the 4Runner Limited is far greater. The quality build, solid components, materials used, smooth ride, quite ride, engine and transmission operate smoother, much more room. It really is surprising how much of a difference $3k makes between these two vehicles. I had the Wrangler for over 45,000 miles and there were always small issues here and there. The 4Runner has been solid through 14,000 miles. The ride comfort makes driving long distances a breeze. Tons of storage space and even more with the seats folded down. The automatics running boards are an add one but I feel are worth it for the convenience and style factor. On the down side the gas mileage is just as terrible as the Wrangler Sahara which either means the Wrangler had decent gas mileage or the 4Runner is just plain bad. As an example a co-worker drives a 12yr old 4Runner and we get the same mpg @ 16 city and 19 highway. At this price point and cost it is missing a few items: 1 - blind spot sensors 2 - additional wood grain options 3 - additional camera viewing angles 4 - remote start There are Mazda 3's, Chevy Cruze and Honda Fits as an example that have these features at nearly half the price. Overall I am pleased with the 4Runner and would recommend as a purchase to others."

The best Tonka SUV on the road!

By on Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Pros: "Sips gas, ride, low up keep, performance, style"

Cons: "Spongy brakes, no ventilated seats, antenna"

"After owning two Lexus ES models, this was a great decision for our family. The low cost maintenance, ride, features, and great fuel economy for its size were worth the switch. We have the Limited in Shoreline blue pearl with the blonde interior, which is a great combination. My one complaints are the spongy brakes, lack of ventilated seats and the ugly antenna, which I replaced with a carbon fiber "stubby" unit. We get so many compliments on the vehicle. We have the remote starter, which is great, but I wish the vehicle would continue to run after you enter in the vehicle. We have the push starter, but when you touch the door handle the vehicle shuts off, I understand Toyota's logic, but is annoying. I wish it had more driver specific settings like the GM products, such as memory seats/mirror, individual tire pressure monitors, and expanded S.O.S. Hard to find replacement 20" tires since there are only to manufactures!!! But overall it is a GREAT mode of transportation!!!"

Best Vehicle yet

By on Wednesday, December 1, 2010

"This was my first Toyota and my first SUV. I have been nothing but impressed with this vehicle. Fit, finish and comfort are all top notch. I opted for the Limited and never looked back."

My second 5th generation 4Runner

By on Thursday, April 14, 2016

Pros: "Ruggedness, power, comfort, convenience"

Cons: "5 speed (should have 6 speed at a minimum."

"I purchased a 2010 4Runner when the new 5th generation was introduced. It was an SR5 with part-time 4WD. While I absolutely loved everything about the vehicle, my wife drove it more than I and she did not like having to stop to shift it into 4WD when the roads were snowy/icy. We traded it in after two years of ownership. Fast-forward to 2015 and while looking for a Toyota Sequoia, we saw the 4Runner Limited sitting on the dealer lot and drove off with it a few hours later. This vehicle is not for everyone, so if you're looking to purchase a 4Runner, here are some helpful tips: This is a truck. It's very high off the ground and can be hard to enter/exit (small children need help getting in and out). If you have back problems, getting in can be difficult. This is not an issue for me, but wanted you to be aware. Regarding the 4Runner being a truck, it's body on frame design. This means you don't have to worry about shaking things loose when driving over bumpy roads or terrain. It's solid, and durable. Unlike cross-over or uni-body SUVs, you never have to worry about breaking something loose if you hit a bump. It drives like a truck, feels like a truck, and sits high off the ground like a truck. If you don't like trucks, don't buy the 4Runner. If you want a vehicle that feels powerful with a slight push of the accelerator, you may be disappointed. However, the 4Runner has great power (270 HP 278 lbs torque). I've heard from most people who take one for a test drive that they're not happy with the power. However, the 4Runner has Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence (VVTI) and is meant to feel less powerful at times. It provides less power when you don't need power, and an extremely high amount of power when you do need it. When you need power, it's very simple. You just press down on the pedal more. The pickup in this vehicle is amazing, and the engine sounds like a powerful sports car. I haven't met anyone who has driven this vehicle for a good amount of time talk badly about the power. If gas mileage is a top priority for you, you'll be disappointed. I average about 16 MPG in mixed driving (around 18-20 when driving on highways). You'll make frequent stops at the gas station. The 4WD system can take you anywhere. Face it, the 4Runner is a beast in the snow. It can go anywhere, any time. My favorite thing to do is stopping the middle of a hill in the snow, and then flooring it to go up the hill. Visibility is amazing when sitting in the cockpit. You have a great view of the road and everything around you. Very few blind spots, and the sunroof is extremely large (trust me, you'll want a sunroof in this vehicle). One of my favorite things about the 4Runner is the power rear window. Even though it's not recommended due to fumes, I love driving around on a hot summer day with the sunroof open, and all five windows rolled down. It's the closest thing you can get to having a convertible, and I enjoy every minute of it. I hope these tips help."

Great all around vehicle & BULLETPROOF reliabily

By on Sunday, November 20, 2016

Pros: "Reliability, value, all weather capability."

Cons: "??"

"2014 (5th generation) Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4, purchased new. This 4Runner is used for a mix driving. Everything from work commuting (120 mile round trip), hauling the boat (~4,500 lbs), family and pup transporter & to work around our property. During the week, it averages ~ 20 mpg with ~95% interstate driving on cruise at 70mph. On the weekends it gets everything from hauling the boat to and from the lake, moving fencing materials (post, wire ect) and taking the family on outings. We do follow the factory recommended maintenance and have had ZERO failures (I really mean ZERO, not a single issue...with anything). I would like to see more power (and a diesel option) and better connected steering (lacks feel). Though it has no problem getting up to highway speed or towing a load it's just not as quick as other vehicles I own or have owned. Previous BMW owner here and while the 4Runner is slower the BMWs are junk compared to the 4Runner in terms of reliability. I won't even mention cost to own compared to the 4Runner. The BMW will make you a poorer person. We have the Limited 4x4. It comes with full time 4x4 via torsion center diff (think modern AWD with a lockable 2 speed center diff (think old farm truck). The lockable hi/low speed 4x4 can be selected from the drivers seat and 4x4 low is the only selection needing the vehicle to come to a stop. It performs amazing in all conditions including rain, snow and mud (it gets all three several times a year). With the Limited we have heated and cooled seats (nice), JBL sound (great), nav, onboard weather and traffic, leather, sunroof, heated mirrors and wiper blade area and some other added features not offered on the other trims. I'm a person who enjoys new vehicles and would like to have a new one now but, this one is still like new with ZERO issues so can't justify purchasing another...my next will however be another 4Runner. On a side note, the 4Runner is one of the few remaining SUVs still build as a body on frame and not a unibody and it's still manufactured in Japan (I like both). For the 6th (other than a diesel option) I'd like to see Toyota add it's safety suite including all speed dynamic cruise control, automatic emergency breaking, lane keeping assist, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert with breaking & dynamic guidelines while in reverse. Also an improvement in the small offset crash test results would be nice. I hope they do NOT install the current 3.5L V6 from the Tacoma (the 2GR-FKS). Overall, this is an outstanding value for a one car or family vehicle."

They don't come any better than a 4Runner!!

By on Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pros: "Strong and dependable and worth every dollar!"

Cons: "Externally operated gas access door."

"This is my second 4Runner (I had the first one for 13 years!) and I love this one also. It is comfortable, a joy to drive, and feels stong and dependable (Duh, it IS a Toyota!)I work them very hard in the woods, pulling a heavy trailer, and carrying loads for friends whose vehicles won't hold the items. It has operated flawlessly. The only thing I miss that my old one had is an internal gas access door. I do not like the gas access door being unlockable. Other than that, it is an investment that anyone who can afford one should consider."

Excellent Vehicle - Tough to compare to others

By on Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Pros: "Roomy, comfortable, very capable & reliable"

Cons: "No remote fuel filler latch. Only 5 gears."

"I replaced a Lexus IS350 with this so performance & handling are vastly different. The 4Runner will GO if you push it but it's no speed demon - but that's not what it's for. I find that it can get squirrelly when you go much above 80 - particularly on windy days. That aside I am very pleased with driving characteristics. Decent turning radius, smooth ride. Handles potholes a lot better that the old IS did. The ability to flip into 4wd is what I wanted and this baby does not disappoint. It will go nearly anywhere. I see a significant improvement in MPG at 75mph vs 80mph. Would love to have one more gear but the 5 are very well spaced & perform very well. Some of the interior could use softer touch materials but I bought it knowing about this so I'll end that whine here. Like many others I find no viable excuse for the absence of a remote fuel door release. Roomy, comfortable, very capable & outstanding reliability. Will keep this baby for a long time."

Awesome vehicle and value for the dollar

By on Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Pros: "Excellent build and quality"

Cons: "No locking fuel filler"

"I own a 2013 limited for 1mo+ with 800 flawless miles, and I also still own a 2003 toyota 4R SR5 with 125+k flawless miles. I would have bought it in 2010, but they had took away the auto rear locking hatch and remote locking fuel filler door, so i waited for them to bring it back but they haven't. However, my wife wanted it, so i traded my '08 TSB & recall ridden and mechanically flawed pontiac and kept her 2003 Toyota 4R SR5 which i plan to own for another 5 years at least. And yes, it is, that sound and rock solid still. But upon close examination of the 2013 Toyota 4R, I came to find out the auto-locking rear hatch isn't really needed at all on the new model as it closes with the same ease as the previous. in fact, the previous one has been a hinderance because a couple ppl have slammed it in closing it, unawares that it is auto-self locking. Lucky for us it is Toyota build quility, and nothing at all has happened as a result. As for the lack of a locking fuel door, I installed a stant locking gas cap with no adverse or service engine light issues so far whatsoever. But yes, they need to bring the old locking fuel filler door back for convenience sake. I also though the quality of the plastic on the interior of the new one was of inferior quality, until I brought it home and compared it with the old one, side by side. Happy to say they both appear to have the same lvl of quality except for the glove box door, which is substantially lighter than the old one. It is however excellent quality, and a much better fit and finish than the vehicle i traded it for, and on which I had to replace the globe box lock that fell apart when it was less than a year of ownership. The factory paint job is Toyota flawless quality, but the dealer prep was lacking, as I had tar over-spray in the driver's bottom rocker panel that they didn't remove after washing. The factory does apply special paint protection treatment to the bottom of vehicle to protect against chips and stones that looks like a defect or paint ripples, but trust me it is not, and i have that on my 10 year old 4R as well. I must say that after having spent 30+ years in the automotive service industry, and owning many different type & brands of vehicles, the new Toyota 4R still gets my nod of approval for mechanical and workmanship excellence."

Love my 4Runner!

By on Thursday, June 2, 2016

"Growing up I always wanted a 4Runner. Not only for it's design but for it's unequaled reliability! When Toyota came out with the 5th Generation 4Runner I was even more impressed by the design so we eventually bought one. The ride quality on this 4Runner is very different from most true off-road sport utilities. The Limited comes with Toyota's X-REAS system and it acts like a sports car when driving on asphalt but off-road it still performs the way it should. Our only complaint is the lack of space when there is a car seat (but that's not Toyota's fault). Also, there is very little compartments to keep change, keys, etc. other than the glove box and center arm rest. Most vehicles have little pockets to keep stuff. I can only assume they do not have these because it's meant for off road and any open compartment wouls be emplty of it's contents pretty fast!"

6.5? Really KBB? This 4Runner is the best!

By on Monday, October 24, 2016

Pros: "Off roading, fun to drive, looks great, reliable"

Cons: "Gas mileage only ok for the 4x4, stock tires poor"

"Go anywhere, sleep in the back. Haul whatever you need up to 5000lbs. 4x4 Tahoe, Honda Pilot, Hyundai Santa Fe, 4x4 Suburban and 4x4 Expedition- my 2015 4Runner Limited has pulled them all out of Tennessee snow and mud. This thing just won't get stuck and can climb almost everything my buddy's Wrangler can. Throw on a set of all terrain tires onto the stock wheels to replace the terrible factory ones and you've got yourself a beastly offroad capable SUV that still looks fantastic on the street and drives/rides great. Plus this thing will never break down and retains it value better than any other SUV, on par with the four door wranglers."

Dependable, reliable, a necessity

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "can't find any yet"

"This vehicle is so dependable. In the snow, on the beach, or on the highway, the comfort and reliability of this vehicle makes me and my family feel safe. I have been on the beach in the outer banks and in assateague with no problems. I have taken it hunting, haul my kayaks, and I am going across the country in december. I love this vehicle and would recommend it to anyone."

Fantastic truck

By on Saturday, February 8, 2014

"I owned many cars mostly GM and Ford as well as Mercedes and Audi. I change my car every 18 to 24 months. This 4runner (my first Toyota) is here to stay. I love it."

Love It

By on Thursday, December 27, 2012

Pros: "Great Options, Reliable, Smooth Ride"

Cons: "Leather cheap, Missing some nice options"

"I traded a 09 tahoe LTZ for a Limited 4Runner! I absolutely love it. Rides smooth, great navigation, bluetooth phone. The USB feature for music is great! Overall I could not be happier! I feel like I have the most reliable SUV on the road but I still have the look, luxury feel, and the options. I miss two things from my luxury SUV: Memory seats and settings and rear hatch touch closing."

soooo happy!!!

By on Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pros: "EVERYTHING!!!"

Cons: "NEVER"

"I had a 2006 4runner. Just got a new 2011 4runner! It's so fun to drive..larger than my old one..so comfy..fast..has so many options I haven't touched most yet! I LOVE MY NEW 4runner. I won't ever own another vehicle!!! I cannot wait until the snow comes!"

Still best in class but a step down from previous

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pros: "Bigger inside, nav system is great. Mountain goat"

Cons: "Cheap plastic. Antenna from the 80'"

"I recently replaced a 2006 4runner with 92k for a 2010 4runner. My06 has been reliable, comfortable and trouble/rattle free. It was a great ride, even luxurious in some aspect. It did carry me regularly on mountain trails with all my gear, and as my daily commute was fast and nimble around town while still delivering 21mpg on average. The new one feel bigger, but also cheaper ( I am comparing 2 limited trim here). Toyota: why did you remove the embedded antenna and the hatch closing assist? What's up with the cheap plastic on the door panel? But worse: we now have to remove the skid plates to do an oil change? Seriously?"

Great Vehicle!

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"Toyota is one of the BEST vehicles on the road, it just can;t be beaten in many cases. The 4Runner is awesome, very comfortable, stylish, very reliable, sometimes a bit pokey but step on the pedal and it goes just fine. I didn;t buy the vehicle for speed but rather for the Toyota quality. I owed a 2008 4Runner and it never saw the repair shop except for regualr maint. oil changes etc.. outstanding quality and reliability. Thats why I upgraded to a new 2011"

2005 4-Runner better vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Toyota dependability."

Cons: "Toyota has sacrificed quality."

"Traded 2005 Limited with 72,000 miles for SR5 with luxury pkg. Big mistake. In the 7 yrs. between purchases Toyota has sacrificed quality. V8 no longer an option, no lighted running boards, rear cargo door no longer pulls in & latches, no cross members on roof rack, more plastic interior (05 had at least padded door sills & dashboard. No more screen in cargo area that pulled out to put packages or valuables out of sight. These were things that set it apart from other SUV's. Handling is inferior to 2005 also."

Best Vehicle I have owned

By on Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pros: "comfort, gas mileage, leg room, radio, navigation,"

Cons: "absolutely none"

"I have had a Ford Explorer and a Ford Expedition. I was dead set on an SUV. All of the SUV's except for the 4runner went cross over. I didn't want the crossover style and loved the style and the reviews on the 2012 4runner. I LOVE IT! I looked for over 2 years and finally purchased mine. It is comfortable, lots of leg room in the back seat, the navigation system is awesome, the radio with sat radio is great. The gas mileage started out a little on the low side but as I keep putting miles on it, it keeps going up. I can't imagine owning anything but a 4runner. I am looking for a used one for my daughter who will be driving in 18 months! My father who has always been a Ford guy, loves my vehicle and keeps saying how well it drives and how quiet it is."

My favorite vehicle ever!

By on Saturday, May 11, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, good gas mileage, not too pricey"

Cons: "I have no complaints about this vehicle."

"I have owned 3 SUV's - first a Sequoia, then a Highlander, and now a 4RUNNER. I enjoyed the Sequoia for its comfort and roominess, but it was a little too large for my needs. I got a Highlander, which drives like a car. I felt like I was sitting too low after being used to the Sequoia. I traded the Highlander for a 4Runner, and I love it. It is just the perfect size SUV for me."

Know what you want if going for the Trail Edition

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pros: "Locking Rear Diff and KDSS (Look it up, awesome)"

Cons: "Weak Sauce Tires, Braking Nose Dive"

"Great vehicle if you want to be able to keep up with your buddy's Jeep offroad (almost) without sacrificing too much when it comes to street comfort. The Trail Edition is definitely a compromise on the road versus the current SUV crop however once the going gets tough you simply will not need to worry. If you are comparing an Explorer, Subaru, and 4Runner you probably don't want the 4Runner (Trail Edition). Hope this helps."