2003 Toyota 4Runner

9.5

Based on 914 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

9.7/10

Best Vehicle I've ever owned

By on Friday, June 29, 2012

Pros: "Very Very Reliable"

Cons: "Exterior paint"

"I have done nothing to this vehicle except scheduled maintance and replace a serpentine belt. It gets pretty good gas mileage considering the size and power. We once rented a ca-bin in the Blue Ridge Mts. during a heavy snow. Our's was the only vehicle that could get up the road to the cabin. Among the other vehicles was a Dodge Ram Diesel Truck and a Dodge Durrango. The only complaint I have is that the outer clear protection coat on the paint is beginning to wear off,making the paint on the fenders, wheel wells and mirrors look dull. I with that the buttons on the door for the power locks and automatic mirror were lite for night use. Besides that, an AWESOME vehicle!"

LOVE my 4Runner!!!

By on Thursday, May 24, 2012

Pros: "comfortable, sporty, dependable, pretty"

Cons: "...nothing..."

"I have a 2007 Sport Edition 4.0 4wd. I am SO happy with my 4runner! This is the 1st toyota I've owned. It fits our lifestyle so well! It looks classy to go to church in and is completely capable of hauling our 4 wheeler, climbing hills and getting me out of a "pickle" in the muddy fields :) . My husband is wanting to put a leveling kit on it to give it a more rugged appearance. The gas mileage considerably good for the size and 4wd we live in the mtns and get 20.5mpg. I see this 4runner being part of our family for a long time. My husband is anxious for me to find something else so this can be his daily ride but I don't see it happening soon :) Would definately buy another!"

I love my 4Runner!!

By on Monday, April 2, 2012

Pros: "Greeat value. Dependable. Beautiful. Sporty."

Cons: "Not great gas mileage."

"The 4Runner we own now is our second one. It is the best vehicle we have ever owned. I just wish it got better gas mileage."

2004 4 Runner

By on Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pros: "Reliability."

Cons: "Interior is just plain."

"In 2004 I bought my 1st Toyota 4 Runner. Little did I know what I got myself into. I use the SUV as my office, I travel all over New England for sales during the week, and on weekends I travel all over to ski resorts and during summer months I am going to lakes with my boat. Typically I put about 2500 miles on her a month. I guess my main point I want to get across is in 187000 miles, all I have ever done to the car is tires, brakes, and your standard 100,000 check up. The water pump and timing belt. Never has it broken down on me, or even a flat tire. Now the funny part about this all is prior to 2004 I would change suv's every 2 years. But when I bought the 4 runner I made a promise to my gf at the time (wife now). "I would not buy a new suv until the Toyota, breaks down on me." Well 8 years later and 187k miles she still hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. SFL"

Great vehicle

By on Thursday, December 1, 2011

Pros: "Spacious, reliable, back window rolls down"

"Takw this sub anywhere I want. Hard to get this suv stuck. Smooth ride on the highway as well. Love this car"

Great driving,reliable and well built.

By on Thursday, December 1, 2011

"This 4-Runner only went to the shop for maintenance such as oil change, filters, and a new fan belt after 100,000 miles. Well made and safety features are awesome. I am 6 foot tall with long legs and that is my only issue with the comfort of the car."

One of the best vehicles I've ever owned.

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "Safe, secure feeling when behind the wheel."

Cons: "Not the best on gas mileage, but it is a truck."

"My 4Runner has been a wonderful vehicle since the day I got it. It is very solid and reliable. They're not cheap, but worth the price."

I will always choose 4runner! I'm driving my 4th!

By on Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pros: "Sporty,all purpose,style,look/feel, easy/low maint"

Cons: "Stock radio/cd player"

"Personally I have always had a mechanics perspective from my father who is a mechanic. He has always had lots of great things to say about Toyotas and has helped me when choosing my vehicles. Right now I drive a 2004 4Runner (purchased in 2009 for 10K). Before that I drove a 1996 Red 4wd SR5 Limited Edition (with 260K miles) 4Runner for 6 years. Before that I drove a 1990 4wd SR5 (200K miles) for 2 years. Before that I drove a 1989 Toyota 4Runner (with pop off top and roll bars and 350K miles) for 4 years. All of which ran/run excellently. Maintenance is important, if you treat one good, it will last you! And it will. My trucks always lasted. Even when the older 4runners gained in miles and age I've never had a problem that was so extreme it failed-never. So happy to be a 4Runner owner! Currently I'm exploring the idea of buying an even newer 4runner than my 2003 (which I love and have never had any problems) just for the look and feel. If you value a vehicle that will hold its value, look stylish, need safety, low/easy maintenance and feel good owning one-buy a 4Runner! I'm a mom of 1 5 year old daughter...and the truck's possibilities are endless (camping, traveling, sporting, big shopping trips and daily necessities, etc) I will always choose 4Runner!"

Best SUV

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "Unreal vehicle"

Cons: "Monthly payments suck, haha (but def worth it.)"

"Definitely the best mid-suv out there. drives great, comfortable and very reliable. get's decent gas mileage (22mpg for me, overall average)"

Unbelievable Reliability

By on Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pros: "Reliable 21mpg"

Cons: "There are none!!"

"For twenty years I drove nothing but Mercedes Benz and always bragged about their quality. The $1500-$2000 I spent a year on maintenance I thought was worth it for the pleasure of driving such a highly engineered vehicle. Then I purchased my 2005 4Runner - WOW. I had always steered away from Toyotas because I thought they would be so boooring, but I was wrong. After 5 years of enjoying it and not spending a single dime other than tires and oil - I'm now a lifelong convert. The build quality and engine quality of this vehicle are amazing. Mine still is as quiet as a brand new one and after 166,000 miles doesn't have so much as a squeak. Unlike other people who have complained about the gas mileage; I have been amazed to find that I average about 21mpg on a regular basis. I don't gun it and I stick to around 65 on the freeways."

Just love it!

By on Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, rides great on and off road."

Cons: "No cons for me."

"Over all, it is great. A few bugs (such as the melting back latch), but relative to what else is out there, for the price it is great."

Its everything I expected and a lot more

By on Friday, May 20, 2011

"Its fast, comfortable, front and rear anti-sway bars so it handles real well in the corners. It gets 24-26 mpg on a flat road at 75mph. 19-20 in the city with a few rabbit starts. I love this car. Way to many nice things to say about it. I could write a book."

EXCELLENT

By on Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"I have an 2006 4 Runner and drove it to work EVERY day. My job is 45 minutes away.. Now i have a New 2010 4 runner and my Son has the 2006.. I love this vehicle.."

Better Than Ever

By on Sunday, April 4, 2010

"This 2007 Sport Model is my third 4Runner and my 9th Toyota. My experience with their superior reliability is what keeps me as a loyal customer. I feel the value actually exceeds what I paid for the vehicle. I am 6' tall and the front seat works well for me but would probably not accommodate someone much taller. That said, I sometimes put in 14 hrs. at a time behind the wheel and don't get tired (I'm 63 yrs. old). Friends often remark that it has the comfortable ride of a nice car. The standard sound system is better than the premium system I once heard in a 7 Series BMW. My V-6 gets close to 23 mpg; quite good for an SUV this size. Mine has the upgrade alloy wheels and wide tires which make for a smoother ride. ALL of this for under 35K!! 'Nuff said, I should think."

Fantastic Vehicle

By on Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"This is by far the best I've owned. Very very reliable, no problems at all yet! Very comfortable, Tows nicely, we tow a 25 ft. sailboat with it. Does a great job in 4wd. I;ve tried to swerve on ice and snow for fun...doesn't work! The ABS and other safety features put a stop to that, like having mom in the back seat (oh, wait, I AM mom! tee hee) I can drive any car I would want, but I won't trade this in ever!"

Very Safe, Great Resale

By on Sunday, February 14, 2010

"This is the 2nd Toyota 4-Runner I've had and I will buy another one. I was in a head on collision with a drunk driver with my first Toyota 4-Runner and came out with just a small seat belt bruise! So I replaced it with another one. Super car."

Its a toyota

By on Saturday, February 6, 2010

"I bought this vehicle new in 2005. I have the V8 vvt engine and needed it to tow a camper. I must say this is the first vehicle I have ever bought new that has not had to go back to the dealer for something in the warranty period. (I have had new Acura, Nissan and Jeep autos) I liked to drive my Jeep better, the 4Runner has bla handling and the interior design is very basic. Jeep had better presentation of air temp data and compass. Only issue I have had to really complain about is the dashboard is cracking! Its 5 years old so it out of warranty. There is a long crack along the top of the instrumentation panel. I have seen others and they have cracks too, I live in Florida and the dash takes a beating from the sun. However I would not expect this from toyota after 5 years. Going to battle with the dealer to see what they will do."

First 4-Runner

By on Monday, February 1, 2010

"I had previously always owned the Ford Explorer. I decided to go foreign and I can honestly say I'm not going back to domestic. I love this 4-Runner. The size the shape and especially the quality. It's a solid SUV with the performance to match. We have taken it on many trips both big and small and have never had an issue."

second 4Runner I've owned

By on Thursday, January 14, 2010

"I love my 2006 4Runner. It's comfortable for long trips, holds all kinds of gear and luggage and sits everyone comfortably. I had a 2002 4Runner prior to this one, and while it was nice, it was not near as comfortable as the 2006. I've taken my '06 off road (though not too often, but it handles well in 4WD when it needs to) and on long trips. I'm a photographer so often carry a lot of gear for lights, props and wardrobe with me so I got a roof rack for my 4runner, though I've not had to use it yet as everything fits great inside the back with or without the seats down. I bought the '06 new so as of this review I've had it for 4 years. I opted for the extended warranty (yea, I know, a Toyota - who needs an extended warranty, right?) Well, it was not too much more to get that and it paid for itself with the one issue I actually had with the car. last year all the warning lights on the dash came on and the dealer at first thought it was the gas cap. apparently that's the most common cause. However, about $2,000 worth of labor and parts later, all of which was covered under the warranty - I was not out a dime (well, except the cost of the warranty which is about $7 a month added to my payment), the warning light issue was fixed. New catalytic converters, cleaning of the exhaust system and some new wiring was what it took. it's a great vehicle. When I decide it's time for a change, my next vehicle will most likely be another 4Runner."

4Runner Rocks

By on Monday, January 11, 2010

"This is my second 4Runner. I crashed in my first one back in 2006, and I walked away without so much as a scratch or a stiff neck after hitting a stone wall. This truck is the real deal. I have pulled numerous people out of ditches, I have gone off-roading on some seriously crazy terrain, and I drive it daily. It outperforms every aspect I throw at it. It's off-road capabilities are awesome, it's power is great, and it's reliability is incredible. There's not much more to say - it ROCKS!! I've owned a Pathfinder and an Xterra, and they shouldn't even be in the same category as the 4Runner. It's just flat out a superior truck."

Great vehicle

By on Saturday, December 26, 2009

"Very reliable, comfortable to drive, handles well except windy conditions...it does sway a little, just hold tight to steering. Very well make, fit and finish, luxurious leather, comfortable seating, great positioning. Would purchase again, don't know about newer models, but 2006..I love it!"

Your money's worth

By on Tuesday, December 15, 2009

"I bought this vehicle instead of a Honda Pilot and I have never regretted that decision. It has a good performance in all grounds I have had this car for almost 3 years and have gone on long trips in one stretch non stop...NC to TX without a hitch. Great Car!"

Awesome Truck!

By on Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"I am the original owner of my 2003 4runner and I absolutely love this truck. Other than regular maintenance(oil, brakes, etc.), I have not had to replace a single thing. I plan on owning this truck for the next 10 years or so and i know it will easily make it. The V8 has excellent torque for pulling my 20' boat. Everything is holding up well except for my driver-side seat. I am a big guy and have managed to wear a hole in the pading. I highly reccomend this truck as well as any toyota product."

Best 4x4 I've Ever Owned

By on Monday, August 24, 2009

"I have the 04 SR5 V6 4X4... switches into 4x4 within 2-3 seconds while driving, never had a single problem w/ vehicle, every single thing - every single button works after 75k mi, I've had this thing towing 5,000lb trailors, driving on Colorado Jeep trails, 4x4 through snow and ice, traction control is great... looks fantastic.. only complaint is that it could use 2 more inches of ground clearance."

By on Saturday, August 22, 2009

"I have a 2005 4runner I bought it august of 2008... and I love it! we pulled a 2008 honda civic from denver to seattle no problem! i drove in about 4feet of snow and still no problem! love this car!"