2002 Toyota 4Runner

9.4

Based on 861 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

Besy suv ever build by toyota

By on Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cons: "none,"

"I build my 4runner on/off road, arb front bumper, yakima roofrack,lift kit, and 32" tires and this truck keeps in an amazing good condition, mud, wet roads, snow, sand, you name it nothing stop this car. And the best, vary cheap maintenance, regular gas, easy to work on it, $200 for a full tune-up...!!!! DIY."

Great All Around SUV

By on Saturday, December 3, 2016

Pros: "Excellent Reliability and Great Smaller SUV"

Cons: "Lacking Power, Limited Interior Space"

Recent camping trip to Coyote Lake in Gilroy

"I have owned my 4Runner SR5 since new and am going to miss it when it is gone. It has been ultra reliable with very few issues. Looking back aside from routine maintenance the only things I have had to replace are one of the oxygen sensors, one of the fuel injectors, the power antenna, and the clutch master cyclinder. The original clutch and brake pads were replaced at 164,000 miles and still had some life on them. The original brake shoes still have serviceable life left so no replaced. While I have done very limited off road excursions in the 4Runner it has handled them well. The 4-Low is able to get you through most all situations. 4-High has been great for trips to the snow. Some of the things I wished the 4Runner had were a more powerful motor capable of truly towing its 5k towing capacity. I have towed a small 17 foot travel trailer (about 3,500 pounds fully loaded) with the 4Runner and feel that is about the maximum for its capabilities. I'm sure the next generation 4Runner with the 4.0 liter motor was much more capable in power. Another gripe was how the 4Runner sagged in the rear when loaded, even with just passengers. I installed AirLift airbags inside the rear coil springs and that alleviated the problem both carrying passengers and towing. The 4Runner currently has 169,000 miles and feel confident it will go another 100,000 miles easily if properly maintained. Since about 90,000 miles I have been running full synthetic oil, filling with fresh fluids in the cooling system, brakes and clutch systems, as well as running top tier gasoline. Timing belt was replaced at 93k and probably due for a new one soon along with the water pump and thermostat. This has truly been a remarkable vehicle and out lasted several of the other vehicles I have owned."

Recent camping trip to Coyote Lake in Gilroy

The best rig ever made

By on Thursday, August 9, 2012

Pros: "Fun, super reliable, good looking"

Cons: "No new ones!!"

"This is by far the best automobile... easy to drive, safe, timeless good looks. I wish Toyota would have just kept making this body style while upgrading everything unseen. If I could drive this little rig the rest of my life, I would. Wish I didn't need a new car. If TOYOTA still made cars as good as this one, I would reccommend it to everyone I know, however, neither the Highlander nor the new 4-Runners seem to hold a candle to it."

Excellent vehicle, very reliable!

By on Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pros: "Excellent and reliable vehicle from all points of view"

Cons: "None!"

"I own this car now for 11 years and is driving like new. Excellent engine and pretty good on gas comparable with newer models!Never have any issues other that normal tear and wear (tires, brakes, belts). High value retention, too. Highly recommended."

Great, dependable & serviced reg.

By on Friday, August 19, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive and a great price"

Cons: "with new front Rugs will look like new!"

"drive chain replaced. Great & Always reliable. 4 Runner is good for another 200,00 miles. Kept in garage. excellent condition."