ZIP code

2002 Toyota 4Runner

9.4

Based on 865 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

pretty amazing vehicle!

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "great all around vehicle"

Cons: "engine compartment is a little cramped"

"the toyota 4runner, in my experience, is one of the best all-around production vehicles made. especially in when looking at the 3rd gen models. with the creation of the highlander toyota developers were allowed to develop the 3rd gen 4runners, and later models, to be specifically enhanced offroad. while also still maintaining great on road performance and handling. on road they ride smooth, turn accurately, with little to no oversteer, and accelerate aggressively. off road they keep an astonishing weight to power ratio and are able to pull you out of whatever you may find yourself in. even on street tires with open differentials you still wont be stopped. and like all other toyotas they are build to last. im pushing 250,000 miles now with no signs of wearing down."

LOVE LOVE my 4Runner

By on Saturday, September 1, 2012

Pros: "Solid smooth feel. Super reliable. Looks cool!"

Cons: "Small for a family of 4. No bigger than a Prius."

"I bought this used when it was one year old. I've now had it 10 years and the only thing that stopped working was the motor for the radio antenna. Nothing else has EVER gone wrong with this. I've had the normal routine tune-ups and it just keeps going and going. We could and should buy a bigger more expensive vehicle but I'm torn because I love this so much!"

370,000 and still ticking

By on Friday, August 12, 2016

Pros: "Looks and drives fine. 3rd gens are very stylish"

"Never had anything go wrong with this car. Made in Japan. Only preventative maintenance. She still looks and drives great"

A good running vehicle

By on Thursday, May 5, 2016

Pros: "reliable and safe"

Cons: "check out design defect on 2wd 2 piece drive shaft"

"The 2wd 4runner has a design defect in the drive shaft. It will cause the rear axle wheel bearings and aventually cause the tranmission to go out if the drive shaft is not replaced. Other than this it's a great vehicle."

Most dependable vehicle ever created

By on Friday, May 12, 2017

Pros: "Fun to drive, safe, dependable."

Cons: "Someday youll have to move on from it."

"My dad bought the 1999 Toyato 4Runner brand new a few months before I was born. Growing up we had always joked that it was going to be my first car, not believing that it would last long enough for me to take the reigns. But as I grew older the 4Runner kept trucking. We drove it everywhere from Chicago to Austin. By the time my 16th birthday rolled around I had fallen in love with it and it became my first car. I loved the 4Runner so much. It never let us down; the most expensive repair being a new fuel injector t about 240,000 miles. I drove the 4Runner for a little bit over a year until one day as I was going thru a four-way-stop intersection a driver ran the stop sign as plowed right into the passenger side at roughly 45 MPH. My sister -- who was sitting in the passenger seat-- should not have walked away unscathed, but she did. We both did. Sadly, the 4Runner was totaled in the accident, bringing an end to its amazing run. My experience with this car speaks to its value. There will never be a more dependable car. In almost 18 years of driving the 4Runner never needed any major repairs. It drove my family and I for over 246,000 miles without skipping a beat. The 4Runner is also very very safe. I believe that if I had been driving almost any other car at the time of the wreck, my sister would not be with us right now. I am deeply saddened by the fact that I will no longer have the pleasure of telling people that I have put all 246,000+ miles on my car. 4Runners are the best cars ever created, i highly recommend them to anybody."