2001 Toyota 4Runner

9.5

Based on 864 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

Dependable!

By on Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pros: "Very Versitle"

Cons: "stiff bumpy ride at times."

"With 347,000 miles this 4Runner has been so good to me. Purchased brand new and I have driven my money's worth! My friends and family still can't beleive I am driving the same vehicle. "Oh, What a Feeling..!" TOYOTA!"

The Perfect Vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pros: "great safety record, very high value retention, very well built and doesn't need repairs"

"I bought my 4Runner new in 2000 and am still driving it 11 years later. I've only ever had to make very minor repairs to it. I can't believe how well this car has help up. Only repairs needed in 11 years: - replaced electrical antenna (approx 4 yrs after purchase) - replaced molding under driver seat that came dislodged from pressure of sliding in and out of drivers seat. (6 yrs) - A/C fan no longer blows on lowest setting, but still functions on all other setting (11 yrs) - turn signal occasionally needs to be turned off and turned back on to blink (11 yrs)"

Very dependable vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "very enjoyable to drive still with high miles"

Cons: "Driver seat wears too much . no other complaints"

"This vehicle has been the most reliable vehicle I have own ed. Even with 203000 miles it still runs and drives great. Right now I am getting a major check up by a reliable mechanic to maintain its condition and keep it running for another 100k miles. Body and interior are still in excellent condition except for drivers seat showing wear."

LOVE my 4runner

By on Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, Utility"

"I bought my 96 SR5 from my old man in 2005 when it had 90K miles and it has treated me very, very well. Only problems I've had were EGR valve and a radiator leak. All the rest has been preventive maintenance. Doesn't have a ton of power and doesn't get the best mileage in the world, but it's an older SUV, so I shouldn't complain. Does great on and off road, and pulls my 6x12 enclosed trailer full of stuff just fine. Blue book probably says its only worth 4500, but there's no way I'd sell it for that."

nothing else like it on the roads !

By on Friday, August 3, 2012

Pros: "FUN TO DRIVE! Safe"

Cons: "no cd player, transmission is going out, burns oil"

"If y'all want a safe and reliable vehicle? Y'all gotta get this! I just bought myself this for Christmas and it was the best present ever. It has gone through many many mud holes, up mountains, everywhere you can imagine, this 4runner has gone. Best vehicle ever made, not the newer 4runner's, just the 1995-2006."

Will drive it til repairs cost more than the SUV

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "Have never been stuck and shifting to 4-WD is easy"

Cons: "Sound system is adequate at best"

"It is a little bumpy but considering the chasis, it's fine. Very versatile with the folding seats and tows a trailer with no problems. Good mileage also...for what it is! I've owned the vehicle for 8 years and have probably had 7 people want to purchase it: especially dealers. NO major repairs needed. Just routine maintenance"

Loved this vehicle

By on Saturday, September 17, 2011

"This vechile saved my life. I was currently hit by a 18 wheeler. When I came to all the windows where out and all the devices deployed. I came out with minor injuries. Lord helped out, but without all the saftey bars built into the vechile and saftey device, I really could have been hurt."

Nice Ride

By on Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"I have had my 4runner for two years now but has been in the family for about 5, it runs great, im up to 178,000+ now, and of course is running smooth. I get decent mpg, and good speed out of this car. I now drive it everyday about 50 miles daily overall and love the comfort, so do friends when they hop in for a ride. I would definatly say buy this if your considering!"

Saves me money

By on Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"Every once in a while I think I would like a newer vechicle. Then reality sets in: cost,tax on the purchase, insurance increase,and what is out there that is better?? I haved owned this 4runner limited for 9 years,and the maintance cost (outside of what should be done at that mileage plateau) has been low. It now has 137,000 miles on it and is still running like new. I would drive it to florida and not have a worry in my mind. The 4Runner has been a great towing and family vehicle. One of the best features is the power tailgate window (lets the dog get breezes). If I get it detailed and put a new rear bumper on it (I notice this seems to be its weak spot rusting through, see it on many 4Runners of this vintage) I just got my new car!!"

1999 4runner

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"1999 4runner - 133k and counting I love my truck. Not to big not too small, just right. My wife drives it more than I do and I don't think she could handle a bigger SUV. I have listed what I think are the PROS and CONS of the vehicle. I would highly recommend it. PROS: Looks - Still looks like a late model, paint has held up Reliable - Routine maintenance. Only brakes and starter have been replaced. Value - Lots of amenities for the price Creature comforts - Quiet ride, Good stereo, roll down rear window, moonroof, leather, etc. CONS: Gas Mileage - City could be better. Highway mpg is 20-22, not bad Power - 187 hp is too low"