2000 Toyota 4Runner

9.4

Based on 861 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

pretty amazing vehicle!

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "great all around vehicle"

Cons: "engine compartment is a little cramped"

"the toyota 4runner, in my experience, is one of the best all-around production vehicles made. especially in when looking at the 3rd gen models. with the creation of the highlander toyota developers were allowed to develop the 3rd gen 4runners, and later models, to be specifically enhanced offroad. while also still maintaining great on road performance and handling. on road they ride smooth, turn accurately, with little to no oversteer, and accelerate aggressively. off road they keep an astonishing weight to power ratio and are able to pull you out of whatever you may find yourself in. even on street tires with open differentials you still wont be stopped. and like all other toyotas they are build to last. im pushing 250,000 miles now with no signs of wearing down."

LOVE LOVE my 4Runner

By on Saturday, September 1, 2012

Pros: "Solid smooth feel. Super reliable. Looks cool!"

Cons: "Small for a family of 4. No bigger than a Prius."

"I bought this used when it was one year old. I've now had it 10 years and the only thing that stopped working was the motor for the radio antenna. Nothing else has EVER gone wrong with this. I've had the normal routine tune-ups and it just keeps going and going. We could and should buy a bigger more expensive vehicle but I'm torn because I love this so much!"

370,000 and still ticking

By on Friday, August 12, 2016

Pros: "Looks and drives fine. 3rd gens are very stylish"

"Never had anything go wrong with this car. Made in Japan. Only preventative maintenance. She still looks and drives great"

A good running vehicle

By on Thursday, May 5, 2016

Pros: "reliable and safe"

Cons: "check out design defect on 2wd 2 piece drive shaft"

"The 2wd 4runner has a design defect in the drive shaft. It will cause the rear axle wheel bearings and aventually cause the tranmission to go out if the drive shaft is not replaced. Other than this it's a great vehicle."

Great All Around SUV

By on Saturday, December 3, 2016

Pros: "Excellent Reliability and Great Smaller SUV"

Cons: "Lacking Power, Limited Interior Space"

Recent camping trip to Coyote Lake in Gilroy

"I have owned my 4Runner SR5 since new and am going to miss it when it is gone. It has been ultra reliable with very few issues. Looking back aside from routine maintenance the only things I have had to replace are one of the oxygen sensors, one of the fuel injectors, the power antenna, and the clutch master cyclinder. The original clutch and brake pads were replaced at 164,000 miles and still had some life on them. The original brake shoes still have serviceable life left so no replaced. While I have done very limited off road excursions in the 4Runner it has handled them well. The 4-Low is able to get you through most all situations. 4-High has been great for trips to the snow. Some of the things I wished the 4Runner had were a more powerful motor capable of truly towing its 5k towing capacity. I have towed a small 17 foot travel trailer (about 3,500 pounds fully loaded) with the 4Runner and feel that is about the maximum for its capabilities. I'm sure the next generation 4Runner with the 4.0 liter motor was much more capable in power. Another gripe was how the 4Runner sagged in the rear when loaded, even with just passengers. I installed AirLift airbags inside the rear coil springs and that alleviated the problem both carrying passengers and towing. The 4Runner currently has 169,000 miles and feel confident it will go another 100,000 miles easily if properly maintained. Since about 90,000 miles I have been running full synthetic oil, filling with fresh fluids in the cooling system, brakes and clutch systems, as well as running top tier gasoline. Timing belt was replaced at 93k and probably due for a new one soon along with the water pump and thermostat. This has truly been a remarkable vehicle and out lasted several of the other vehicles I have owned."

Recent camping trip to Coyote Lake in Gilroy