2000 Toyota 4Runner

9.5

Based on 864 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

2000 4-Runner

By on Friday, August 3, 2007

"I've owned Toyota's since 1984, started overseas with a Celica hatchback. Moved back to the states in '86 and got another used Celica hatchback then quickly moved up to a new pickup. Then within the year I saw my first 4-Runner and just had to get it. It was a new '86, yes that's right I went from a Celica to a pickup to the 4-Runner in just a year (just so it's clear, I wasn't disappointed with the first two). I kept that runner (a 4-banger) for 14 years, it even went to Germany with me for 8 years. It took me to Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Luxembourg, Netherlands, East Germany and all over West Germany. I really abused it over there in Europe, like not changing oil, not polishing, and very high speeds. I even had a low speed head on collision with a small pickup (Ford Courier type) in '93...I won, the other pickup was totalled but I drove home, luckily there were no injuries. The only problems I had was a leaky water pump, a stuck closed thermostat, and bad oil pump. Back in Idaho I finally traded up in 2000 to this one. It was the last standard stick shift on the lot. I put 82K on it so far and I'm taking a lot better care of this one than I did my first. Only had two major problems, both rt & lt rear axle bearing boots failed (not at the same time) and had to replace the bearings seals and brake shoes (soaked with oil). One under warranty and the other 20K miles later. I did have the automatic antenna mast replaced but that was because of a couple winters worth of driving through freezing fog. The ice build up tends to wreak havoc on the drive when it tries to pull it back down. Gas mileage is still steady at 19 MPG. Best is 22, worst was 13 when pulling a U-haul trailer 600 miles from Idaho to Vegas. Did very well on the 2,700 mile trip from Boise to Montgomery, the trip back was the same. I plan on keeping this till it dies...Sorry Toyota I'm a loyal customer but I won't be buying another for a long time. Toyota, I don't see how anyone could go wrong with buying one, the value far exceeds the price. I'm actually thinking of adding a Prius, Tundra, or Sienna to my garage...we'll see."

Besy suv ever build by toyota

By on Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cons: "none,"

"I build my 4runner on/off road, arb front bumper, yakima roofrack,lift kit, and 32" tires and this truck keeps in an amazing good condition, mud, wet roads, snow, sand, you name it nothing stop this car. And the best, vary cheap maintenance, regular gas, easy to work on it, $200 for a full tune-up...!!!! DIY."

The best rig ever made

By on Thursday, August 9, 2012

Pros: "Fun, super reliable, good looking"

Cons: "No new ones!!"

"This is by far the best automobile... easy to drive, safe, timeless good looks. I wish Toyota would have just kept making this body style while upgrading everything unseen. If I could drive this little rig the rest of my life, I would. Wish I didn't need a new car. If TOYOTA still made cars as good as this one, I would reccommend it to everyone I know, however, neither the Highlander nor the new 4-Runners seem to hold a candle to it."

Excellent vehicle, very reliable!

By on Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pros: "Excellent and reliable vehicle from all points of view"

Cons: "None!"

"I own this car now for 11 years and is driving like new. Excellent engine and pretty good on gas comparable with newer models!Never have any issues other that normal tear and wear (tires, brakes, belts). High value retention, too. Highly recommended."

Great, dependable & serviced reg.

By on Friday, August 19, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive and a great price"

Cons: "with new front Rugs will look like new!"

"drive chain replaced. Great & Always reliable. 4 Runner is good for another 200,00 miles. Kept in garage. excellent condition."