2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek

8.3

Based on 106 Ratings for the 2013 - 2017 models.

Serves the Purpose but I wish for more Perks

By on Saturday, June 10, 2017

Pros: "height from road, inside room, good customer svc"

Cons: "windshield/wipers poor design, no place for phone"

"Got 2017 Crosstrek 2.0i premium with the moon/sunroof and all weather package in Nov 2016. I wanted a winter vehicle for Pennsylvania with good mpg for road trips. Everything went well until driving in a snow storm. The wipers were so bad, creating something between a smear, a streak, and a crust. This was with full power defrost and cleaning fluid (a plus that it didnt freeze) in addition to the windshield wiper de-icer and heated side mirrors. It also didnt help that the right wiper is half the length of the drivers side one and the end of the short one stopped dead center of my sight, causing a slight smear point. The seats are comfortable enough. My max trip so far has been 10 hours. The buttons for the heated seats are poorly located aft of the cup holders in the center, basically below my elbow. Awkward and a bit unsafe. Theres no room for a current(larger and thinner than 15 yrs ago) cellphone if you want to use a map app or anything requiring you to look at the phone screen safely. I bought a vent clip phone holder and use it on the right center vent so it doesnt block the dash clock area and gets minimum glare. Which leads to.... The vents are never completely shut even when set to 0 and having the individual vent lever closed. This means, as my winter car, having the heat on can overheat the phone thru no control of my own. (something I learned to balance with heated seats and less car heat plus regular phone rests) The perks I thought I would have = trial of satellite radio and a free year of STARLINK Safety Plus, as per the Subaru website (unless theyve since changed it). First, I cant even get satellite radio, free or paid. Id have to get an external receiver since its not even a placeholder in the system. Second, since I dont have the overhead/rearview mirror red and blue info and emergency buttons, I couldnt use most of the Safety Plus options. Last negative: if I put all the windows down and drive faster than about 68mph with the radio on, the sound garbles and distorts. I kinda think a positive is that it doesnt have the quick speed for passing on the highway so I drive more cautiously. The interior seems roomy, which is complimented with the window space and lack of blind spots. Sometimes I have more of a lead foot but I average 28-30 mpg."

The Most Versatile Vehicle on the Market

By on Thursday, October 13, 2016

Pros: "Ground clearance, gas mileage, ride quality"

Cons: "acceleration"

"This is an incredible vehicle. The ground clearance of a Jeep, great gas mileage (the 30/34 mpg rating Subaru advertises is extremely conservative-as a brand new vehicle I am getting 34/40), and Subaru's incredibly competent AWD. The hybrid gives it a bit of a boost off the line to make up for the lackluster acceleration. Very good handling and ride quality. The hybrid also has very little cabin noise. Good sound system on the touring model. All for under $30K for the top of the line model. Yes, there are crossovers which might look better on paper (or the KBB ratings), but none of those vehicles have the Crosstrek's off-road or winter condition prowess."

It's a Great Car

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2016

My '15 XV Crosstrek backed in next to its twin.

"I've been driving my Crosstrek for a little over a year now. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the fuel economy. It averages about 30mpg with CVT, which is supposedly better than the manual gets (I do miss driving stick though.) Subaru's AWD provides confidence in poor weather conditions, which Pennsylvania has a lot of. The 8.7 inches of ground clearance also means that you can handle unpaved roads/trails as well, although you're not going to outdo the venerable Wrangler for true off-roading. Between the roof-rack (side-rails standard, crossbars extra $), hatchback, and optional trailer hitch the XV will haul just about anything and everything an outdoor enthusiast and day-trip adventurer could need. Although I still have to take a wheel off my mountain bike to make it fit inside comfortably and I might be too short at 5'6" to get my bike on a roof rack carrier. As far as performance goes the '15 (and presumably '13-'14) Crosstreks could use a little more spunk. It's the same 2.0L, 140hp motor found in the Impreza. It cruises nicely at 60-70 mpg but hard acceleration really isn't there. I sometimes feel like it could use grippier brakes as well, but they've done the job so far. On first gen Crosstreks the interior is fairly plain. It's not the cheapest I've ever seen but it's nothing special either. The 2016s have minor improvements that provide a much better feel overall. Sadly, they discontinued Tangerine Orange Pearl for 2016 so I COULDN'T get one of those :P"

My '15 XV Crosstrek backed in next to its twin.

Very Well Built

By on Thursday, May 8, 2014

"Subaru built a great vehicle, solid and very well built. The true, symmetrical all wheel drive means It holds the road extremely well, even with all season tires. There really isn't a better vehicle for winter. The boxer engine means it has a very low center of gravity, translating to better driving dynamics. This car has a great suspension, you don't feel much of anything (bumps, potholes, dirt road), and it is very durable. The combination of this great suspension and high ground clearance makes this car a good off-roader. If you get a trailer hitch, this car is good for occasional, light towing. This is an extremely safe vehicle (5 stars almost all the way around). The build quality is some of the best i've ever seen. There are soft-touch materials everywhere, very high quality parts, and attention to engineering. Gas mileage is alright for a car that is heavy and has all wheel drive, I am getting not quite advertised (average 25 winter/30 summer) but it is still good. I have a couple complaints about this car. The engine is not quite adequate, 0-60 is about 11 seconds, which I would almost call unsafe for merging. I really don't care for either of the transmission options (have driven both). The 5-speed manual is poorly ratioed, just doesn't feel right, the clutch is not smooth , it reminds you that the car is underpowered, and you sacrifice some gas mileage. I actually prefer the CVT, even as a manual transmission enthusiast. While there is nothing wrong with the CVT, it is incredibly boring to drive and has some noise. If you want a bigger engine, better manual transmission, more versatility, and more space all for the exact same price, look at Subaru's own Forester, that's why I only give the value a five out of ten, despite the good resale. This car is very versatile and is good in many, many applications, it is extremely solid and well built, Subaru has an incredible reputation. If you want a solid, unique car in a class of its own, this car should be high on your list"

I love my Crosstrek

By on Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage from what I had before."

Cons: "Compared to my old 2007 Focus, nothing!"

"Do I regularly need to climb steep hills or go off-road into daring trails that really put my Crosstrek to the test? No, but I love this car. It does everything I need it to and more. I got the one with moonroof and Nav and it's a joy to drive. It's snappy on the start and I feel safe in it with all of the traction control it has."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru XV Crosstrek near Honolulu. See local deals