1995 Subaru SVX

9.6

Based on 54 Ratings for the 1992 - 1997 models.

9.7/10
    9.8/10
    9.7/10
    9.8/10

I love my SVX, but it's not for everyone.

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Pros: "Beautiful, fast, and luxurious."

Cons: "Uncommon so not every mechanic good."

"I bought my SVX 4 years ago, with 20,000 miles. It's my around town driver, and I love it's speed, handling, and appearance. Caution #1- The 1992-93 models are prone to transmission overheating and failure at mileage 35-90,000. this can be prevented by having an aftermarket tranny cooler and filter installed early on for $300-$500. I wouldn't buy one with over 50,000mi if it didn't already have these 2 things already. The 1995-97 models are fine from the factory, and rarely have prob's. Caution #2- In 1994-95 the company offered 2 less expensive versions with Front Wheel Drive, not 4WD. Caution #3- Some have had 3 or more owners and may not have been maintained well."

Terrific car but not for beginners

By on Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pros: "awesome looks, unique. Smooth and fun to drive"

Cons: "maintenance cost, premium fuel"

"I own a 92 SVX LS. I bought it 10 years ago in FL. It is a fantastic car and I love it. It has never let me down or stranded me. Advertised MPG is, I believe, way underestimated as I typically get just under 24 around town and 27 on the highway at 75-80 mph. The car was manufactured from 92-97 with a total of around 25000 brought to the states. While some suggest parts are unavailable I've not found this to be true, they are however expensive. This is not a cheap car to maintain if you do it properly. It is not a car for young people on a budget or parents looking for a driver for high school or college kids. The car is designed to run on premium fuel. There are after market chips availabe to run it on 87 octane. In some forums owners claim they just run it on 87 and accept lower mileage. I don't think this is a good idea and would not recommend it. Bottom line: I love the car but I'd only recommend it to people who can afford to maintain it properly. If you do you'll be very happy with it. Happy SVXing."

Excellent, Fun, Reliable Head-Turner

By on Friday, November 30, 2007

"My SVX has 116000+ miles and all I do is keep up on the regular maintenance. It starts first time every time even here in North Idaho where it could be 5 degrees outside. It runs like a top (a fast, smooth beautiful top). I see no reason why I would not keep this car and enjoy it for many more years. It was way ahead of its time when it came out and it is still one of the nicest cars on the road. Subaru reliability in a fast, refined, comfortable, safe, luxury head turner."

The SVX offers more smiles per gallon

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pros: "Fun fun fun. fast, fun and fun. Comfy tourer"

Cons: "No built-in cup holders, no longer in production"

My fun car.

"I own a 94 black over white pearl LSi and a red 97 LSi. The LSi was the top of the line for this rare vehicle, with leather seats and sun roof standard. I bought both used and with 150K+ miles on them. They give more smiles per gallon than any car I have ever owned. They are a guaranteed head turner. Boy racers are always wanting to check it out at the stop lights. It's also fun to count the double takes on the freeway. The SVX was designed to be an all wheel drive high speed touring car. It is fast but not particularly quick because it is heavy. It is the most comfortable sports car I have driven with great handling and smooth ride. It is perfect for those long drives in the country, particularly if they involve a few tight turns. Gas mileage is outstanding. The 3.3L flat six easily achieves 22-25 mpg in town and 30+ mpg on the highway at speed. Speed for me is 75 mph and above. The SVX was technologically ahead of its time with speed sensitive steering, variable valve timing, automatic climate control and with manual and power modes for the drive-train. Now, we are talking about cars that are approaching 20 years old. They do require TLC. They will require parts from time to time. The local Subaru dealer has been great at tracking down some OEM parts, but there are very few new items remaining in the parts bins around the country. The SVX community maintains several forums for assistance in finding solutions to mechanical issues and parts. That is part of the fun of owning a rare exotic car. Examples of parts that I have needed for my cars are a radiator, rear wheel bearings, alternator, radiator cooling fan and original key fob. Nothing there is out of line for cars with 150,000+ miles. If you buy one in good shape, it will give you many miles of pleasurable driving. Just understand that as with any used car, things happen. With the SVX it could be expensive unless you do a lot of work yourself. Some mechanics won't even try because they are intimidated by the exotic looks and the fact that the engine is flat. The SVX is not that hard to work on if the mechanic is even part way competent. It's a motor, transmission and wheels. It just looks different. I love my SVX's and hope to drive them a long time."

My fun car.

Hate to sell it

By on Monday, August 20, 2007

"Only 14,000 made over 6 years, it is a fast, comfortable Grand Touring car. Car & Driver said top speed is 144 mph, and I average 23 mpg on Super. Has the rebuilt transmission which solves the only problem I have had for over 149,000 mi. The window-within-a-window is unique and minimizes air blast at speed when open."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru SVX near Honolulu. See local deals