1992 Subaru SVX

9.6

Based on 53 Ratings for the 1992 - 1997 models.

9.7/10
    9.8/10
    9.7/10
    9.8/10

unique ride for the money

By on Wednesday, April 9, 2008

"always enjoy driving this vehicle because there is so few of them on the road, who wants to drive what everybody else is driving, the SVX makes the statement that you are truly a individual. no more to say"

I love my SVX, but it's not for everyone.

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Pros: "Beautiful, fast, and luxurious."

Cons: "Uncommon so not every mechanic good."

"I bought my SVX 4 years ago, with 20,000 miles. It's my around town driver, and I love it's speed, handling, and appearance. Caution #1- The 1992-93 models are prone to transmission overheating and failure at mileage 35-90,000. this can be prevented by having an aftermarket tranny cooler and filter installed early on for $300-$500. I wouldn't buy one with over 50,000mi if it didn't already have these 2 things already. The 1995-97 models are fine from the factory, and rarely have prob's. Caution #2- In 1994-95 the company offered 2 less expensive versions with Front Wheel Drive, not 4WD. Caution #3- Some have had 3 or more owners and may not have been maintained well."

Classic Road Car

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"Finest road car I've ever driven and one of the best foul-weather cars ever made. 6-cyl Boxer 24-valve DOHC engine is smooth as silk and delivers 230 HP so reliably that it is a favorite of the home-built aircraft community. AWD is 90/10 forward/rear adjusting to 50/50 at need. Fantastic snow car. Body is wide-tracked and low, very aerodynamic and a visual pleasure just sitting there, which is due to its Italian design antecedents. Leather interior looks new after 200,000 miles with minimal upkeep. Driving is sheer sensual pleasure, the engine smooth enough to lull a new driver into much more speed than is apparent from the interior sound. Be careful! Steering is heavy as are most AWD's due to the weight of the front drive, but perfectly proportionate to the 3500-lb weight of the vehicle. This car looks fast and is. Known issues with the early models include inadequate transmission cooling and brake rotors designed for the lighter vehicles Subaru engineers were used to at the time. New owners of original equipment must see that the upgrades offered since then are applied to their cars. This was a concept and test vehicle, and many of its features have since turned up throughout the Subaru line - the unique and extremely accurate cruise control, the automatic air conditioning/heating system, and of course the horizontally-opposed Boxer engine design. The steel-cage passenger compartment is one of the safest ever designed. The automatic shoulder belt typical to many 90's-vintage automobiles is a bit of an annoyance, especially if the driver opens his door to back the car up. A separate lap belt attests to the car's competition aspirations. After 115,000 miles in one I am still getting over 26 miles to the gallon - burning premium, which the car requires. It is simply a superbly-designed, quality-crafted automobile that is already a classic and destined to remain so."

Hate to sell it

By on Monday, August 20, 2007

"Only 14,000 made over 6 years, it is a fast, comfortable Grand Touring car. Car & Driver said top speed is 144 mph, and I average 23 mpg on Super. Has the rebuilt transmission which solves the only problem I have had for over 149,000 mi. The window-within-a-window is unique and minimizes air blast at speed when open."

Terrific car but not for beginners

By on Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pros: "awesome looks, unique. Smooth and fun to drive"

Cons: "maintenance cost, premium fuel"

"I own a 92 SVX LS. I bought it 10 years ago in FL. It is a fantastic car and I love it. It has never let me down or stranded me. Advertised MPG is, I believe, way underestimated as I typically get just under 24 around town and 27 on the highway at 75-80 mph. The car was manufactured from 92-97 with a total of around 25000 brought to the states. While some suggest parts are unavailable I've not found this to be true, they are however expensive. This is not a cheap car to maintain if you do it properly. It is not a car for young people on a budget or parents looking for a driver for high school or college kids. The car is designed to run on premium fuel. There are after market chips availabe to run it on 87 octane. In some forums owners claim they just run it on 87 and accept lower mileage. I don't think this is a good idea and would not recommend it. Bottom line: I love the car but I'd only recommend it to people who can afford to maintain it properly. If you do you'll be very happy with it. Happy SVXing."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru SVX near Honolulu. See local deals