2009 Subaru Outback

8.4

Based on 392 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

Avoid NA 2.5 go for the turbo 4 or na 6

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "great style"

Cons: "poor lower trims"

"I decided to wright this review because I was noticing a lot of people bashing on the car or one thing or another and more often than not they are complaining about trim specific issues such as a lack of power or a dodgy outdated transmission. This is ultimately true about the na 2.5 having a low amount of power but what do you expect from a car that is not geared toward speed but rather simplicity, thats why they used an engine thats design has been around for almost two decades. This also goes for the transmission as well, most of the outbacks that were sold came with the na 2.5 and 4 speed auto transmission. If you want a really solid car that will never let you down look no further than the na 3.0 liter. Subaru had just came out with a brand new engine called the "ez30r" which was an improvement over their previous 6 cylinder from 212 horse power to 250. This new engine comes in two trim levels the LL Bean edition and the VDC model. Now if you want something with a touch more power than that take a look at the XT trims because they come with a 2.5 liter turbocharged and aftercooled engine. It makes the same 250 horsepower as the six but makes thirty more foot pounds of torque but with this extra power comes more responsibility, when looking for an xt you must insure that the previous owner knew how to take care of a turbocharged car by preforming normal service such as using high quality synthetic oil and premium gasoline. Now about the 4 speed clunky old transmission, you need to worry because both the 3.0 and the 2.5 turbo come with a 5 speed auto which is miles better than the 4 speed, and if you are interested in getting a manual you'll have to look at the xt because the 3.0 did not come with the option of a 5 speed manual transmission. Over all im happy with my 05 outback ll bean edition, even at 190k miles she still happily revs out to the 7k redline when ever I wanna get on it, hope I helped some people in the right direction."

I love this car and will buy another when it dies.

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "drives great, rocks in the snow, lots of power"

Cons: "snow in wheels sometimes unbalances the tires"

"Never had any problems, basic maintenece, slight complaint open wheels let snow sometimes unbalance the tires, easy to fix but a pain sometimes in northern michigan winters. THIS CAR ROCKS"

First time Subaru owner

By on Saturday, January 12, 2008

"Pro's: Turbo is really quick, comfortable and well appointed interior, great heated seats, good looking exterior Cons: Stock Bridgestone tires are just awful, headlamps keep burning out, paint thin, windshield chips easily"

Just saved my life

By on Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"No joke, last weekend I was going to my parent's house with my wife and another driver ran through a stop sign and 'T-bone'd me, impacting on the driver and rear door. We ended up about 100 feet off the road in a front lawn on the roof of the car, and we were able to crawl out my driver's window. Side air bags and solid frame let us walk away with bruises and scrapes."

OUTSTANDING!!

By on Sunday, September 30, 2007

"I've had my '05 OB XT since November 2004, and I haven't had any problems beyond what Subaru already took care of -- that is, replaced DRL's with real DRL bulbs, and replaced an cooling fan relay that caused a short in the ECU and made the cooling fans run constantly. I traded an Audi A4 Avant for this car as I was moving to CO and wanted more "offroad" capability -- and I got it, with better acceleration and equal gas mileage (with some aftermarket improvements in tires and some parts). While it doesn't handle as well as my Audi did on the road, it's not meant to -- but it still handles pretty darn good. With snow tires, it's bombproof in the snow or offroad in all but the worst high-clearance conditions. Death Valley, Escalante, and CO backcountries have been no problem (with good judgment applied). I now have almost 56K miles on it and it's getting better gas mileage than ever! True to Subie heritage, I think this car will last well over 100K and perform just as well."

Great Performance In Bad Weather!

By on Friday, August 24, 2007

"I have had my outback xt since oct. 2004 and it has been a great vehicle. Of course there are some issues I have had to deal with like the sound system is not the best and you have to get the dealership to install the headlights. You can pick out things that are wrong with most every car and it is all very little things with this car. I had to replace the tires at 22,000 miles but I spent the money and got some really good all weather tires. Now the car is handling amazing. This car, with it's AWD, has saved my life at least 2 times. I live in Colorado and it handles unbelievable in the snow now that I have good tires. Having the XT and 250 hp makes going up mountain passes so easy and it is so nice not feeling like your car is straining itself to get up the mountain. I also get amazing service at my dealership in Fort Collins so if you are not getting good service, try and find another dealership you can take you car to. Great service makes all the difference. Overall, this is a great car for people who are active and travel through harsh conditions. It is the ultimate outdoor adventure vehicle. Oh, and did I mention the sunroof goes into the backseat."

I have owned seven Subaru Outbacks

By on Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pros: "Trouble free driving"

Cons: "Engine noise when stepping on it"

"Trouble free driving is the best way I can say it. Easy handling, good gas mileage, easy to change your own oil. Has all the essential features most any driver would want. Consumer's Report rates the Outback at the top of the list of good cars in its class. I like the true station wagon style that few other makers offer in a moderate price range. Plenty of storage space in the back. The all-wheel drive is so helpful in winter snows. If there is one downside the engine noise when accelerating aggressively is a bit louder than normal, but I rarely find myself in that situation and the noise doesn't really bother me."

great all a round car

By on Thursday, January 15, 2009

"what not to like. great in the snow and all kids of weather"

Please Read

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"I own a 2006 Outback wagon, 23,000 on the clock. Numerous front wheel brake issues- car rattles everywhere- The ride is comfortable, and handles ok, lots of cargo space. It is a monster in the snow! The automatic transmission leaves something to be desired, I would recommend the manual tranny. This is my second Subaru- my 04 Impreza blew a head gasket at 19,000 miles and I traded for the Outback, and I am still not impressed. I would not buy another Subaru, it does however fill a niche."

Love my car!

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"I bought a used 2005 Subaru Outback wagon 2.5i exactly a year ago now. It has exceeded every expectation I had for it. The gas milage is as good, if not better sometimes then the listed averages. On average I get 27.8 mpg for combined city/hwy driving and on hwy get 30 on average. My only complaint would be the tires that come on the vehicle. The Potenza tires, although they road smooth, had to be replaced soon after I bought the car. They only had 31000 miles on them and had no tread left. Like others said, three adults across the back seat is a tight fit, but the rest of the interior is like a luxury car (w/o the steep price). My two labs love the trunk space and the car handles great in all conditions. I couldn't have found a better car for the price."

My dog loves this car.

By on Sunday, February 10, 2008

"This car is superb. I bought it 3 years ago and it is worth more now than I bought it for. It is a bit slow uphill in the mountains, but I shouldn't be driving that fast anyhow. :o) the criteria for me with respect to purchasing a c ar was AWD and the ability to hold 4 adults comfortably. I routinely drive on mountain roadtrips and everyone loves the legroom. I thought about the WRX instead of the Outback, but the lack of legroom in the back wasn't so great. I generally get about 26mpg (higher in summer, less in winter) and I am very pleased with the comfort. The seats and console are way better in this model than in the older setups. Super car and a great value..."

Still in awe

By on Thursday, November 29, 2007

"I Love this car, Old reliable with leather, and AWD. I've destroyed the great Northeast in all weather conditions. I only need to stop for fuel, washer fluid, and the occasional oil change. 84,000 miles and nothing needs done that wasn't scheduled. I changed the front brakes myself, but they really didn't need it yet. The car is the great commuter, even knocking into the mid 30MPGs when you behave. It is still great fun on the backroads, and can hold more than I ever imagined. Lighter and larger than the old outback, and more everything else too. All it needs is a stereo upgrade to accompany me on long voyages, not just trips, but voyages."

2nd best car i've ever had after Honda Accord

By on Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Pros: "Easy driving. Comfortable on long trips."

Cons: "Can't think of any."

"Love this car. Lots of carrying capacity. Hauled a lot of trash to dump. Makes hauling to beach easy. Very reliable. Bought used. Only failure I've had was alternator & that was just recently. Easy driving. Good road holding. Best brakes I've ever had on any car I've owned and that is close to ten. Fixes mostly easy and relatively inexpensive. As I said, bought used, have had it almost 3 years and it always goes in all weather. We get lake effect snow here and I never hesitate to go if I'm needed."

Best vehicle ever, most value for the $$ spent.

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, handles well"

Cons: "No satelite radio or leather in this trim package"

"No problems with this car since I drove it out of showroom. I did all suggested maintenance but that is all I have ever spent on this car. What is best is that it moved me, my husband and 10 cats to Louisiana from Massachusetts - mostly comfortably! It handles the road very well and front end is tight to the road. Braking is great and cornering is very good without much tipping or leaning. I now have the Tribecca in addition to the Outback and am looking at a 2012 Outback......I love Subaru!"

Second Review 2006 XT Limited

By on Sunday, July 12, 2009

"I have had my 2006 Legacy Outback X/T for three full years now. (Its the same car you see in the picture including the color.) Great Car! I have owned 5 other Subarus for over 22 years, so I have witnessed the evolution. Yes the car has become more expensive to buy and to operate over the years but it is more car and still holds the bulk of its value. Pros of this model: Quick. (Turbo engine and 5 speed manual transmission) Comfortable. Heated leather seats, quiet ride, great factory stereo. Safe. All Wheel Drive, AL Disc Brakes, Air bags galore Cons of this model: Factory Tires (The Michelin Pilots I replaced them with are 5 times better.) Maintenance. First brake job 56,000 miles Mileage. Having the turbo will reduce your mileage because you will use it."

Sporty, Fun and reliable

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2008

"Best car that I have ever had. Plenty of room for hauling the stroller and the dog. Powerful enough to open up and tak eon the best of them. Would not trade the car for any other wagon."

Will Never Owen another car

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2008

"We bought our outback new in 2005 and LOVE it. Every single day we say it out loud. It is a smooth ride, great power in the mountains, handles well, packs all our camping gear with ease, love the stereo, the quality, everything. Only one area was the factory tires - not the greatest but with new tires, perfect. We will own Subaru from here on out. We fully intend to own this car long enough to be my six year olds first car. Can't say enough good things about it."

This is the most reliable, best car for the value

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Pros: "Good price, well maintained, one owner"

Cons: "A little body scratches but fixed with factory kit"

"I have owned this car since 2006. I bought it brand new and it has been my main vehicle of transportation. I love the heated seats in winter and the turn radius the interior light tan leather is still as clean and pretty as when it was bought. It is roomy, comfortable and can be down shifted for mountain driving or freeway speed. I have had no major mechanical problems and I have always kept up the regular maintenance."

My 5th Subaru

By on Wednesday, July 1, 2009

"This is a reliable, utilitarian vehicle. Gives my wife the confidence to take on Upstate NY winters. After 5 Subies, I expect this one to last 10+ years and 180,000 miles."

Overall Great Car

By on Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"I have a 2005 Outback I purchased used from a local dealer. It came from New Jersey, where California Emissions cars are required. I didn't know this fact when I bought the car. I appreciate the fact that it emits fewer toxins, but this is an expensive exhaust system to repair. It has 5 oxygen sensors that run about $100 apiece. I had to replace the catalytic converter at 90,000 miles which was stunningly expensive. Besides that little financial setback, the car is wonderful for the northern snowy climate I live in and I feel very secure driving it in poor weather conditions especially with good snow tires since it is AWD. LOVE those heated seats!"

X/T Limited: Not Your Father's Wagon

By on Saturday, November 22, 2008

"I have owned the 2006 X/T Limited for the last 2.5 years. I bought it new, the first new Subaru I owned of the past 22 or so years of owning Subarus. The first Subaru wagon I owned had a 1.4 liter normally aspirated engine, got great gas mileage, was extremely reliable, but had a hard time getting out of its own way. This wagon has a 2.5 L turbo charged engine and can move out. The mileage is decent too, though a lot lower. (about 20 around town the way I drive, and 25 or so on long road trips.) I'd highly recommend this car to anyone who needs space, but does not need to drive a Mack truck (pretty much everyone). At this point, I plan to keep it long after I pay it off. If the other 4 Subarus that I have owned are any guide, I will be hanging onto this one for about another 200,000 mi. (I already have 48,500 miles on it.) I have no complaints about the car, although I hope that Suabru doesn't get rid of the 5 Speed manual tranny. Its fun to drive, and I do not experience any "turbo lag," that I think other people think they feel when they are driving a turbo with an automatic transmission. You can buy cheaper wagons, and you can buy bigger SUVs. The question is how much are they going to worth when its time to trade it in."

TOP OF IT'S CLASS

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"I have not had any problems with my last three cars.They were all Subaru's.Reliable,rugged,cheap to own.I have nothing else to say,Subaru is the best car on the road today !"

A Great Overall Vehicle

By on Thursday, August 14, 2008

"I have a 2008 Outback Basic and simply can say it is one of the best vehicles I have owned and driven. Absolutely no problems in 1 year of driving. Great gas milage for the size. I can haul furniture, luggage, wide screen HDTV,etc. with no prolbem with the seats folded down. Very comfortable and quiet. In the winter snow I do not know snow and icy road exist! My Subaru just keeps on going!!!"

Excellent Vehicle

By on Saturday, August 9, 2008

"The Outback maneuvers beautifully, is very dependable, nice looking, reasonable gas mileage and an overall pleasure to drive. I know I can count on making it through snow drifts and have decent control on icy roads. Love my car!"

I love my car

By on Thursday, July 31, 2008

"I love my car, I have tested others but always come back to subaru. There is lots of room for kids, dogs, & all the stuff that goes with the kids and dogs. My car gets great gas miliage and is very comfortable for trips. My only complaint is: Whoever decided to make light cream interiors the only option available is some of these cars obviously did not have kids or dogs. Also the walls in the back are dog hair magnets."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Outback near Honolulu. See local deals