2002 Subaru Legacy

Based on 130 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

Lovin the Legacy GT L

By on Wednesday, April 8, 2009

"It's not the fastest sedan on the road, but it's a whole lot of fun especially if you have the 5-speed. I'm a teenager so believe me, I take this car through its paces and it holds up extremely well. If you take good care of a Subaru, it'll take good care of you. It handles great, especially in the snow. I love this car and Subaru definitely has me hooked."

Great Car!

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"I've had this 1998 since 2003. Five years and 60,000 miles with no major problems. I'm in Erie, PA (snow belt) and this car has never left me stranded. It is amazing! Two minor issues: brakes seem to need checked and changed more often than they should and cup holder is in front of radio and other controls. With only these two issues? The car is great!"

Solid

By on Saturday, December 8, 2007

"First, the bad news; something for which there is a cure (for the truly initiated): the seats feel as though they were designed by someone without a spine. The balance of news is all good: after 97,000 miles, our 30th anniversary 1999 Legacy wagon tracks like a guided missile, feels planted and secure in any condition (if you like a big car feel without the unwanted disadvantages of a big car, have I got a car for you), generates an efficient and steady 26 mpg, is quite handsome in its champagne and chocolate (interior) getup, is UPS reliable, and generally gives the impression that it will run forever (hope I'm not jinxing myself, here). When we bought the car two years ago, the interior looked brand new; it was clear that the original owner had cared for this car. For anyone looking to buy a used car, heed this advice: A clean interior speaks of a careful and conscientious owner. If the inside is shabby beyond the car's years, turn and run. I've used this guiding philosophy (along with looking for other signs of carelessness, such as scruffy paint, dinged valance panels, and oily undersides..........get out and get under) for thirty years and five wonderful used cars. Please, don't begrudge your car regular maintenance and then expect it to do you favors. You wouldn't ask this of a friend, would you?"

Best Car I Have Driven

By on Sunday, May 21, 2017

Reason: Accident

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, incredibly safe, moonroof"

Cons: "few airbags, oil leak, underpowered"

"This car was by far the best car I have ever driven or even been in, including much newer cars with many more features. The suspension was very smooth, quiet, and comfortable which is a big deal in PA with our pot-hole roads. The AWD was reliable and I regularly felt it kicking in during slippery moments. The car stuck to the road and never let go. It had the same factory parts for nearly 200k miles and always started up and drove without hesitation even in freezing weather. We drove that car through blizzards, the roads being covered in a thick layer of ice, up and down muddy hills, etc even when other newer cars could not and it never acted like it was difficult. However, it did not have the greatest get-up especially on hills. It also had a few mechanical issues over the 60k miles we had it, including an oil leak, but never so bad that it was unsafe or unusable. The only thing that ever stopped that car was being rear-ended at 55 mph and we ended up having to sell it. However it was still protective even then. I walked away with a minor muscle strain in the neck that was gone in less than a week."

GREAT for winter. Fun/Sporty. Has flaws, though.

By on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, AWD rocks, nicely loaded options"

Cons: "Small interior, road noise, motor power"

My Suby in it's natural environment

"It's great for the Fargo, ND winters. I've had it for 2 winters and you have to try and get stuck to get stuck! I bought it at 100K miles, and a lot has been repaired: Clutch, front brakes, timing belt component kit, tires, front/passenger bearing, catalytic converter, etc. The engine light is on for an O2 sensor and the Air Control Valve. The road noise is pretty bad. When driving into a strong head wind the lining around the windshield creates an annoying whistle. The manual can be frustrating at times. DESPITE all of this, I like it. The winter package is great, love the sun roof, the driver seat is comfy (not passenger) and it's sporty for summer, yet reliable for the winter. This really has been a great car, I just wish I would have been smarter when buying it. I guess it's common for this car to get bad head gaskets soon so if that happens she will be for $ale!"

My Suby in it's natural environment