2001 Subaru Legacy

Based on 130 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

Great Car!

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"I've had this 1998 since 2003. Five years and 60,000 miles with no major problems. I'm in Erie, PA (snow belt) and this car has never left me stranded. It is amazing! Two minor issues: brakes seem to need checked and changed more often than they should and cup holder is in front of radio and other controls. With only these two issues? The car is great!"

Solid

By on Saturday, December 8, 2007

"First, the bad news; something for which there is a cure (for the truly initiated): the seats feel as though they were designed by someone without a spine. The balance of news is all good: after 97,000 miles, our 30th anniversary 1999 Legacy wagon tracks like a guided missile, feels planted and secure in any condition (if you like a big car feel without the unwanted disadvantages of a big car, have I got a car for you), generates an efficient and steady 26 mpg, is quite handsome in its champagne and chocolate (interior) getup, is UPS reliable, and generally gives the impression that it will run forever (hope I'm not jinxing myself, here). When we bought the car two years ago, the interior looked brand new; it was clear that the original owner had cared for this car. For anyone looking to buy a used car, heed this advice: A clean interior speaks of a careful and conscientious owner. If the inside is shabby beyond the car's years, turn and run. I've used this guiding philosophy (along with looking for other signs of carelessness, such as scruffy paint, dinged valance panels, and oily undersides..........get out and get under) for thirty years and five wonderful used cars. Please, don't begrudge your car regular maintenance and then expect it to do you favors. You wouldn't ask this of a friend, would you?"

Best and most reliable car ever!

By on Monday, April 18, 2016

Pros: "It is the perfect all-around car."

Cons: "It eats alternators/batteries..."

"This car is dependable in all conditions - snow/ice, rain/minor flooding, dry, sand, off road, etc. Great fuel economy for its year, and perfect for road trips. The only downside I've noticed is that, as it's gotten older and more mileage, I have had to replace the alternator and battery twice in the almost 3 years that I have owned it. Other minor service/maintenance issues as well, relatively inexpensive fixes for me to do myself. Space for 5, comfortably, though a little tight if the front passenger is tall. I have driven this car between GA and FL (570 miles one way) a couple of times, all over GA, FL, into NC, and have never had a problem out of it on distance drives. City driving seems to not agree with it so well, as that is where my problems have occurred. I highly recommend this car to anyone who is looking for a stylish, fun, and economical family sedan that is reliable and safe."

GREAT for winter. Fun/Sporty. Has flaws, though.

By on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, AWD rocks, nicely loaded options"

Cons: "Small interior, road noise, motor power"

My Suby in it's natural environment

"It's great for the Fargo, ND winters. I've had it for 2 winters and you have to try and get stuck to get stuck! I bought it at 100K miles, and a lot has been repaired: Clutch, front brakes, timing belt component kit, tires, front/passenger bearing, catalytic converter, etc. The engine light is on for an O2 sensor and the Air Control Valve. The road noise is pretty bad. When driving into a strong head wind the lining around the windshield creates an annoying whistle. The manual can be frustrating at times. DESPITE all of this, I like it. The winter package is great, love the sun roof, the driver seat is comfy (not passenger) and it's sporty for summer, yet reliable for the winter. This really has been a great car, I just wish I would have been smarter when buying it. I guess it's common for this car to get bad head gaskets soon so if that happens she will be for $ale!"

My Suby in it's natural environment

Very good car, fun, quick and handles like a dream

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pros: "Reasonable price, fun, reliable and a good look."

Cons: "Not turbocharged :P"

"The Subaru Legacy has completely sold me on Subarus and I will most certainly be a returning customer of Subaru. The car is very fun and handles amazingly, for the price i paid i definitely got my worth out of it adding 60k miles and bringing it up to 140k the car had no issues whatsoever and I only needed to complete standard maintenence on it. I am already in the market for another legacy and am very excited to experience what a newer model can offer me."