1996 Subaru Legacy

Based on 322 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

a tank!

By on Friday, November 4, 2011

Cons: "cons??"

"wonderful car! 3rd Subaru and I cant wait for my 4th! 200k mile club...hoping to get to 300k and i feel like that is a very real possibility."

Awesome vehicle! Keeping for at least another 100k

By on Saturday, June 25, 2011

Pros: "Great handling, quick acceleration, good on gas, comfortable for long road trips"

Cons: "Cup holders and radio antenna = major fail"

"I recently visited KBB to assess what my 1998 Legacy GT Limited is currently worth. After looking at the prices of newer cars I decided it simply isn't worth the hassle or the extra money to sell and buy a newer car. I had the head gasket and timing belt replaced at approximately 75,000 miles. I had my work done by a local mechanic for around $800 and haven't had the slightest mechanical issue since (it now sits at just below 96,000). Aside from this there have been no major mechanical issues. This car has been incredibly reliable and handles like a king in the snow - I certainly do enjoy the winter months with my subaru. This is a top quality car that I hope to keep for 100,000 more miles, and I doubt that it will be my last Subaru. Oh yes - very cozy on long drives, too Beware: radio antenna isn't so great. Highly susceptible to being devoured by your local car wash (just don't forget to turn it off!)"

Like One of the Family

By on Friday, November 30, 2007

"I put 231,000 miles on this car in ten years and never had a major problem. It was reliable, got great gas mileage, and had room in the back for my stuff. Just a few months ago a guy offered me cash for her and I turned him down. I had planned to drive her another two or three years at least, or to 300,000 miles. Now she's been totaled in a wreck! No injuries though, she kept us safe. This was an awesome car and I can't imagine owning another."

One Reliable Car

By on Saturday, July 28, 2007

"Bought this car new over 12 years ago, and it has been incredibly reliable and versatile of use. Great capacity for loading in large items (gas barbeques, ladders, 11 foot market umbrellas etc.), comfortable passenger car, wonderful visibility from the driver's point of view and handles well in all road situations and weathers."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, October 8, 2013

"This has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Traded in a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee for this car and I'm so glad I did. I've had to put money in it from time to time but it's never been anything out of the ordinary; just standard things like a brakes, clutch, etc. I know people who have had problems with later models and I asked my mechanic about it (Superior Import Repair on Burnside) and he said the engine for my year and model was a particularly sturdy one."