1995 Subaru Legacy

Based on 322 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

The best car I've ever owned; will buy another!

By on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pros: "Very useful for hauling lumber, surf boards, etc. Comfortable on long drives."

Cons: "Could use a better sound system, more adjustments on the drivers' seat."

"The most reliable, best driving car I've ever owned. The brakes, water pump, alternator and other 'short life' parts seem to last about 3 times longer than other cars. I have driven it off road where I would not take a "regular" car, and it feels great on the highway, too. The all wheel drive was noticeable the first day I bought it and drove it home in the pouring rain. It grabbed the road like it was dry, and hugged it like no car I've ever driven, including Porsche and Mercedes. I've had it for 7 years, put nearly 200000 miles on it, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it long distance tomorrow. My next car will be a Subaru. I highly recommend it to you. You'll see why I love it as soon as you drive it!"

Not overly powerful but not underwhelming

By on Thursday, October 3, 2013

Pros: "Great bang for the buck"

Cons: "no turbo :("

"Great winter vehicle good summer vehicle. This car from factory has a fuse in the front to switch from all wheel drive to just front wheel drive which is great because it gives me 5 mpg more than AWD also gives it a bit more power which is also great when its hot out and you wanna run the a/c but don't wanna be out of power. Speaking of hot if you plan to buy a wagon the whole cabin becomes a greenhouse in the sun so be forewarned maybe put the windows down a hair. I've owned my subaru wagon for 3 years with zero regrets. I accidentally gave it a little more oil than I was supposed (like a quart) which pushed it past my valve cover gasket and onto my exhaust and it smelled for quite some time but I replaced my valve cover gasket and there was no adverse effects on the motor. The car is very controllable in the snow and ice, sideways when you put some(half) pedal down or dead on when you want it(Honestly we've all seen the rally subarus and the car should always be sideways) the controllable bit in the snow is in AWD of course, front wheel drive you have a lot of understeer but still driveable with decent tires. The doors are incredibly light feeling when you open them up. I would honestly buy this car several times over. Great fun, great times."

We bought it used in 1997

By on Sunday, March 23, 2008

"It had 28000 miles on it. It now has 120000, combination of city and roadtrip in Wisconsin. We changed the timing belt at 75k, alternator at 105K, and battery at 110000k. Brakes were done at 85k. Tires need to be rotated every 6k, but that is free with purchase. That is it. We get 30 mpg at 60 mph, 25 mpg at 70. Great car - carries a canoe, split back fold down rear seats accommodate paddles or skis. Only drawback is the 12 gallon tank makes for frequent fillups on road trips. I still have no hesitation about taking it to Montana. Great car!"

Buyin' Another

By on Friday, December 23, 2016

"Well, I hit a moose with my '99 Subaru Legacy Outback, so this review is in memorandum. I will be buying another Subie, probably a Forester around '01-'04. I'm not much of a car person. I don't like to spend a lot of money on them, either in initial purchase price or repairs. I just want the thing to work with as little significant drama as possible, because I use it every day, and if it's down then I'm down. That's why I like Subarus. They just work. As I'm sure everyone else has already noted, they're amazing in the snow and the storage is unreal. To me, they're also just the right size...not clown-car small, but also not so large that it's a hassle just to park at the grocery store. Some of the bad things with Subarus, at least with this '99. The gadgets, interior, etc. are kind of chintzy, and they break a lot. For example, the speedometer and odometer stopped working on mine and I had to remove the entire gauge assembly and re-solder a wire to the circuit board. It wasn't difficult and it completely fixed the problem, but I figured out how to do it from a YouTube video, so I'm apparently not the first person to have that problem. The seats aren't really comfortable, and if you're a tall person the interior might be kind of cramped. I'm only about 5'8" so it ain't really a problem for me, but tall friends who have gotten in it look pretty comical. The cupholders are imbecilically placed; you basically have to choose between drinking coffee or controlling the heat/air conditioning. Subaru also decided to be as annoying as possible, and the check engine light will come on for...like...no reason. If the gas cap isn't tight enough, for example. Larger problem. If you're buying a used one look for ones that have already had the head gaskets and catalytic converter replaced. Those two things just seem to go out early. However, once they're replaced, the car is basically indestructible. It sounds like I'm complaining a lot, but I really like 'em. Again, no better car in the snow, blissful storage capacity, perfectly sized, great handling and hard to break."

Best, most reliable car we've ever owned.

By on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pros: "reliable, well built, tough as nails."

Cons: "really, none."

"great car."

Great Car so far

By on Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pros: "Useful (wagon), AWD is great for avoiding winter accidents"

"I bought this car with 114000 miles and it's done great. I love having a wagon that I can load with bikes, construction materials, etc. but also get decent mileage. It seems like I get about 24 mpg around town and 26 ish on the highway. Repairs have been average for a car with this many miles."

My Mail Car

By on Monday, February 9, 2009

"I purchased mine new in 1997. It is a right hand drive built for mail delivery. I have used it in all kinds of weather including snow and it has performed perfectly. It's 12 yrs old and still working great. I'm retired now and sold the Subaru to another carrier in my Post Office. They are tough little cars!"

Inherited this car; dependable but uncomfortable

By on Saturday, January 3, 2015

Pros: "good winter car in upstate NY"

Cons: "uncomfortable and console controls locations odd"

"Very reliable but front seats are very uncomfortable and have had trouble with back lift gate not operating. Gas mileage is good, but not great about 25 mpg."

a tank!

By on Friday, November 4, 2011

Cons: "cons??"

"wonderful car! 3rd Subaru and I cant wait for my 4th! 200k mile club...hoping to get to 300k and i feel like that is a very real possibility."

Awesome vehicle! Keeping for at least another 100k

By on Saturday, June 25, 2011

Pros: "Great handling, quick acceleration, good on gas, comfortable for long road trips"

Cons: "Cup holders and radio antenna = major fail"

"I recently visited KBB to assess what my 1998 Legacy GT Limited is currently worth. After looking at the prices of newer cars I decided it simply isn't worth the hassle or the extra money to sell and buy a newer car. I had the head gasket and timing belt replaced at approximately 75,000 miles. I had my work done by a local mechanic for around $800 and haven't had the slightest mechanical issue since (it now sits at just below 96,000). Aside from this there have been no major mechanical issues. This car has been incredibly reliable and handles like a king in the snow - I certainly do enjoy the winter months with my subaru. This is a top quality car that I hope to keep for 100,000 more miles, and I doubt that it will be my last Subaru. Oh yes - very cozy on long drives, too Beware: radio antenna isn't so great. Highly susceptible to being devoured by your local car wash (just don't forget to turn it off!)"