2014 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $17,330 - $17,779.

10/6.7

8.0

Based on 47 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Everything I thought it would be, however...

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, great mileage for an AWD"

Cons: "stereo seems minimal, somewhat boring interior"

"As reluctant as I was to trade in my 2009 Audi A4, I wanted something newer and with a little better gas mileage since I do a ton of traveling for work. The Impreza Limited fit the bill for what I was looking for. Two things I didn't want to give up was the heated leather seats and all-wheel drive. Since I previously owned two Subarus (a 2000 Forester and a 2009 Legacy), I knew the all-wheel drive would be top-notch and almost unstoppable in the PA winters. The interior is definitely roomy and could comfortably (very important word here) seat 5 adults. The handling is much better than expected and is very stiff and hugs the corners around sharp turns, something I was afraid of losing when I traded my Audi. I'm not comparing the two vehicles, but the difference between the two is not much. For all of the things that I love about this car, the common thing that everybody does not like is the acceleration. You're buying an $25,000 Impreza, not a McLaren MP4 or even an Impreza WRX or an STi. Of course there's gonna be an obvious acceleration issue. The way I look at it is that it's a trade-off for the all-wheel drive that will be more than useful during the winter months. Besides, 36+ mpg on an all-wheel drive vehicle? I'll take that any day of the week. I've hit 38.4 mpg on a 200 mile drive with the cruise on, and that's even with hitting the gas to get through traffic more than a few times. Everybody's second complaint is the stereo. The package I had came with a double-DIN sized stereo with HD Radio built in. It's adequate at best, but I won't waste time and space reviewing this since you can easily upgrade the stereo for $200-300 at your local electronics store. The interior itself is somewhat plain. Not something that you'd look inside and go "wow!", but being the entry level Subaru I wasn't expecting to be blown away by the interior. That said, if there was some thing that could be improved, this would be high on my list. There is nothing that I don't like about this car, but there is some room for improvement."

Good overall vehicle, has some quirks...

By on Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Pros: "AMAZING handling/traction...WOW"

Cons: "Little power..really,noisy on freeway,jerky CVT"

"Subaru's are synonymous with where we live in Northern Nevada. So after moving there a few years ago, and needing a new car after our old one died, we decided to go with the Impreza. We opted for the fully loaded Sport Premium 5dr, because it had some things we've never had before like leather, heated seats, and CVT transmission etc... the car has been well... ok. -First the Negatives- Our old car (2003 Mitsubishi Galant)had more power than this one has new. Granted, it was a 2.4liter and only front wheel drive, but I miss it going uphills and merging on the freeway. A lot. This car does NOT have power, which you'll notice right off on the test drive. Another negative, which I never really considered, is road noise. Pretty loud on the freeway. Everywhere else is fine. The last negative for me is, the CVT. I realize it always is in the right gear ratio for fuel economy etc, however it has this jerkiness that if you've never felt before could be a problem. PAY ATTENTION during the test drive. It's not a huge issue, however it IS something I've had to get used to. There ARE positives though, the fuel economy is great, especially on the freeway. I keep it at 65-70, REALLY. However I'm not certain the in town fuel estimates are correct. It seems to only get somewhere around the low 20's (22-25 maybe?) The traction and handling is AMAZING and really where this car SHINES. You have to drive it around corners and interstate interchanges to believe it. On the freeway interchanges, you can literally take the recommended 35-40mph and add 20-25mph NO KIDDING! Its really amazing. It has performed in the snow and ice as expected. This fact alone gives me a peace of mind with my family driving around in it. Overall, the car is great FOR WHERE WE LIVE. If you live in a place that snows in winter and traction/stability/handling are paramount, this is definitely your rig.- hopefully my review answers some or all of your questions."

5-door Sport Premium = Infatuation

By on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pros: "Price, AWD, looks sharp"

Cons: "Missing nice-to-haves"

"KBB reviews are spot-on; it's fuel efficient, looks great, handles well. The interior is plain, and I immediately noticed the absence of cool little compartments to stash lip balm, change, dental floss, etc. (my '01 Forester had tons). I'm getting at least the advertised MPGs, usually a little better based on 50/50 driving city/highway. Perhaps driving style is affecting those unhappy owners' results. I dislike the red back-lit instrument panel at night. For me, it's difficult to see. An engine this size with auto transmission is less than exciting (after driving manual for 35 years). Overall, I'm falling in love slowly (I loooooooved my '01 Forester and cried when it passed on)."

Great design/real improve over prior years

By on Sunday, July 07, 2013

Pros: "Price, fun to drive, interior"

Cons: "Mileage, stock speakers"

"The good: This is my first Subaru. I cross shopped the Elantra GT, Mazda3 and Ford Focus and choose the Subaru, because of the space inside and interior feel on the limited. Overall I've been very happy with the car. Reliability has been great with zero issues. The leather in the limited trim seems to wear well with proper car. At low speed traffic the car really feels low geared and peppy. No one mentions this, but the suspension really soaks up bumps and uneven pavement. The result? A quiet smooth ride IMHO. The Bad: I ordered my Marine Blue from a local dealer in Sep. 2012 and took delivery in Dec. 2012. Hopefully this is not happening to people now, but Subaru underestimated interest (big time!). Gas mileage has been just average. I've gotten 24-27 in town depending on how I drive. Mileage on the highway is great and is easily 34-36. There's a bit more sway and lean when cornering (fix with bigger sway bar set?). While not unusable the stereo is pretty bad. The good thing is that the speaker upgrade is simple and straight forward."

Smart, Practical, Fun

By on Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pros: "MPG improvement, AWD, comfortable interior"

Cons: "CVT is not yet perfect"

"After more than four months of ownership (Premium hatchback), I still get a kick out of this car. It's plenty quick (we have the CVT) and smooth, handles precisely, provides great 360-degree visibility, and has a peaceful interior. It's comfortable, uncluttered, and spacious for a compact. Plenty of storage spaces, too. Wind and engine noise are minimal, road noise can become noticeable on some surfaces. The sound system is about average for the class, which means it's a big step forward for a Subaru. Storage space in the back is ample, and with the rear seats folded flat, you can stow a lot of stuff. The seats are comfortable and have tons of adjustment. Buff books and enthusiasts moan about the CVT, but it's better than most automatic transmissions. When you need power, it's there. It's not perfect yet, but Subaru has already issued two updates to the programming to improve performance. We're quite happy with it as it is, and it will only get better. We've been averaging about 32 mpg around town, and up to 34.5 in mostly-highway driving, even in the mountains. The Impreza has no trouble crossing the Continental Divide, at 11,000 feet, at 70 mph. My wife and I opted for the moonroof/alloy wheels/winter package. We enjoy them at least as much as we expected. Fit and finish seem excellent; the doors open and close with little effort. All that makes it comparable to, if not superior to, most other compacts. But the Impreza adds AWD, and in snow country, that puts it way above the competition."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25