2012 Subaru Impreza

8.3

Based on 109 Ratings for the 2012 - 2016 models.

Absolutely love my Subaru Impreza

By on Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Pros: "AWD, Ride comfort, Nice interiors"

Cons: "acceleration could be improved, Lower end torque."

"This is my first Subaru Impreza (Hatchback) switching from over 10 years of three mazda 3. I am so happy that I switched, not that anything against Mazda 3, that is also a great car, (except in snow) but for the symmetrical AWD in Subaru is totally impressive. Subaru Impreza is truly a fun to drive car especially in snow and when it is actually snowing, one can drive through like a breeze when others struggle on the road. Driving dynamics is unmatched in this class and hence I have fallen with Subaru brand. I will never go back to Mazda or other brands. Very spacious passenger rear leg room and with the appropriate tire pressure suggested, the suspensions are really very nice and soft sufficient enough to feel the comfort while sporty enough to drive faster. Nice interior quality with soft plastic. I used to hate snow driving, but now I enjoy it. Very reliable car with snow maneuvering."

Great value, quality car

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Pros: "All wheel drive, roomy, great handling."

Cons: "Could use more power when heavily loaded."

"The Impreza rarely ranks as absolute best in any one category, but it ranks very high in all categories. Because of this, it's the kind of car I like to own. The Impreza is a great car at the $20k price point. It has the stability of a larger car, true rear-seat legroom, and in my opinion, the hatchback looks sharp. Seats are very comfortable, and the interior is simple with class, and not flashy. The all wheel drive has excellent grip in most conditions, and visibility from the driver's seat is great. The small but efficient engine serves the Impreza well, especially carrying one or two people, as most cars are used, and gives good fuel economy. Acceleration is a little slow when carrying a fully loaded car of 4-5 people, but that's not what this car was made for. However, if you need acceleration, the engine revs nicely. The Impreza feels far more solid than the Chevy Aveo and Hyundai Elantra. The Focus and the Mazda 3 are close competitors. The Impreza has the most room and the most grip of the three. The Ford and Mazda are slightly smaller, but in the end it comes down to personal preference, as they are good cars as well, and may be slightly more efficient. I preferred the driving dynamics (feel, basically) of the Impreza, the usable interior room, and finally, I felt the black and tan hatchback looked sharp for a small car. Faults: -Could use 20 more hp. -Could use more sound deadening. -Average radio. As an economical car, these are acceptable compromises. P.S. This review is for the 5-speed."

My first automatic but still fun to drive

By on Friday, August 14, 2015

Pros: "reliability, gas mileage, spacious"

Cons: "speakers, weather & road noise, touch screen"

"So I will start by saying I have always drove a manual transmission and this is my first brand new car, therefore my review might come off a little different than most. And if I was made of money I would have gotten the WRX instead but the fuel economy is just not where I would like it to be. So instead, I have the 2015 Impreza sport premium, pretty much all stock minus the homelink mirror. The ride is pretty smooth but for some might be a little too bumpy. My only qualm at this point is it's a little too gooey of a ride for me. You hit a dip on the highway and it just throws you out of the seat. At first the seat was like sitting on a rock and took a few weeks to even be remotely comfortable. The interior is very spacious, I have cloth interior (because I live in Florida and I don't like burning my legs during the summer on leather), the headrests are adjustable up & down as well as front to back, no lumbar support which is a bummer. The only complaints I have for this car is that when it rains and I'm driving, it sounds like it is raining in the car (I have caught myself checking to make sure all of my windows are up). The AC blows so cold I have to turn it warmer or off occasionally. The stereo system with no upgrades is ok, it chooses when and what device to connect to when it feels like it. With the touch screen you have the ability to go in and manually adjust the equalizer so it kind of helped with the factory settings for the speakers. I enjoy having all the controls on the steering wheel and I have my ipod hooked up and can scroll through songs and playlists with those controls. I feel that it is easier than trying to fight with the touchscreen. Biggest con of the speakers is that when you are listening to whatever music you like, if you have it under #10 volume setting you can barely hear it, #11-#20 is probably standard background noise level for most people, but say that 1 song comes on that you really would like to enjoy and you want to crank it....you cannot successfully pass #25 without causing distortion in the speakers- I think they take a nap at this point. The volume goes to 30 but it really is not that loud, unless of course you are standing outside of the car, then you can hear it as clear as day. I do not think that the doors are insulated very well. My previous car was a 2007 Mazda 3 stock as stock can be and the stock speakers bumped like you had a subwoofer in the car, but it was loud inside the car and quiet on the outside. But I did not choose this car for it's not so amazing sound system. I like the backup camera that came stock this model year, the display comes up on the head unit and takes some getting used to if you have never used one before. The sight lines out of the car from the drivers seat is really good compared to some other newer model cars I have been in. The hatchback makes it a breeze to see when backing up as well as changing lanes in traffic. It has amazing safety ratings which is not surprising. While researching this brand and just from what I know and can physically see, there are supports in the door that essentially lock into place when you have the doors shut to assist in the case of a side impact collision. Also, in the case of a front end collision you would not have to worry about the engine coming through the firewall because it drops down so that the front end can take the impact and crumple while not leaving you trapped in the car. AWD is awesome and also works wonders with the traction control assist. I know some other people reviewing this car refer to AWD while driving in northern climates, but it is awesome here because it doesn't just rain a little, it is a torrential downpour as a normal afternoon shower. Driving can become dangerous during the summer under these conditions, but all these features make it easier to know I will make it home safely every day. I drive a lot on the highway but some stop and go city traffic and over the last few months I have been averaging 38-41 mpg combined. I use the cruise control A LOT and with the sport it comes with paddle shifters, which does take some getting used to after driving stick shift for over 10 years, but I choose to use these to control my speed instead of using the brake every time I need to just slow down and not completely stop. I don't take off very heavily but I did a small experiment because I was bummed about the gas mileage not being as high as I wanted it, so for a week I drove normal and just leaving the car in automatic mode, drove how I always drove in the past, and with the CVT transmission it has some lag in 3rd gear into 4th. Then for the following full week, while I was in traffic with stoplights, I used the manual mode to take off and also to get onto the highway. My fuel economy was much better the second week with my conclusion being that when allowing the transmission to shift itself, it prematurely shifts into 4th gear. When you shift yourself you actually get up to speed at the same rate as from a complete stop until 3rd gear in automatic mode. Naturally, when you are taking off from a complete stop you assume that the transmission is going to shift at the same rate for each gear until you are up to speed, so while thinking that this car will do that once you hit 4th gear, your natural reaction is to hit the gas pedal slightly more thinking that you are going to get out of that slump, but all you end up doing is burning fuel for no reason. I have not had my first oil change yet, but have not had any burning smell that I have read on some reviews, according to my maintenance schedule I only need to change it every 6,ooo miles. Oil is full sythetic, however, a lot of other users that report having the oil leak or burn up- my question would be, Do you let your car warm up before you just take off? I have this awesome little light on my gauge cluster that is blue when you first turn on the car say first thing in the morning. I wait for that light to go away before I drive off, it takes about 2 minutes which allows the oil that has been congealing in the bottom of the engine all night to have a chance to warm up and coat the engine and all the gaskets. Now this is the middle of summer still and this is the south. I'm sure during the winter when it is colder I will have to give it 5 minutes to warm up. I have done this with every car I've ever driven and have NEVER had a problem with oil leaking or magically evaporating. Subaru is known for it's longevity, but you have to treat your car right and if you take care of it, then it will take care of you."

Ultimate driving machine

By on Saturday, February 8, 2014

Pros: "Eye catcher and truly a fun car to drive"

Cons: "If mileage is your thing!"

"This is a driver's car. It responds to you quickly and reliably. This car is game for any difficult maneuver. Want speed and acceleration? you got it and you can customize it with torque controls. The suspension system and the brakes are excellent as well. You can drive this car all day long and yet feel fresh. Overall a very nice sports car that is family friendly as well with 4 doors and a good size trunk."

Worth a drive

By on Saturday, May 16, 2015

Pros: "Safety, handling, headlights, visibility, mpg."

Cons: "Could use vtec second wind."

"I own a 2015 Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium hatchback/5 doors with CVT. What be bought had to be safe, reliable, fuel efficient and have room for a ¾ size bass (double-bass). AWD was not a priority. 2.0L engine is responsive and has enough guts, but it is no WRX. In the past, Japanese engines had to rev high to get power out of them as opposed to german engines having a flatter torque curve. This car has Teutonic DNA from somewhere. Great handling. Transmission is a lot more refined than what Subaru offered just 5 years ago. Averaging 34 mpg in mixed driving at 4,300 mi. I followed Porsche break-in procedure, so far so good. The family does not think noise is an issue inside the cabin. Gone is the wind noise that plagued our '97 Outback. The sound system surprised me with bass, even if car has no trunk. And the Bluetooth and USB connectivity for music and hands-free cellphone are a great feature. I can't speak for the Starlink app as I do not own a smart phone. Back seat is surprisingly roomy. 2 people 6 feet tall no complains."