2012 Subaru Impreza

8.3

Based on 110 Ratings for the 2012 - 2016 models.

average quality vehicle

By on Friday, October 21, 2016

Pros: "good fuel economy"

Cons: "sound system is HORRIBLE especially blue tooth"

"bought 2016 Impreza as a fourth (shared vehicle) for us to use for commuting and for winter driving in PA. This car has a lot of road noise due to a lot of rotating mass eg. 2 more drive axles, cheaper tires and economy sound insulation. (I knew this before purchase) It gets great fuel economy due to the naturally aspirated 4 cylinder and the CVT trans. Once you get used to the CVT it is fine. (much better than another CVT brand I have driven) I do not know yet how it will perform in the snow since we purchased it in February and it has not snowed in PA since. The infotainment system is HORRIBLE. The blue tooth sound quality is so poor at highway speeds that the person you are calling has a hard time understanding you.(windows are rolled up and HVAC fan on low or off) They tell me it is operating as designed and no further action will be done. The A/C system has a hard time keeping up on extremely hot days and has been checked and operating as designed. it is ok but not as good as my other vehicles. The steering is very sensitive and just takes some time to get used to it.(NOT a defect,but just different due to all wheel drive and suspension geometry with this electric steering system) It is a fairly priced vehicle for a cheaper all wheel drive alternative than a larger SUV."

Everything I thought it would be, however...

By on Monday, September 2, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, great mileage for an AWD"

Cons: "stereo seems minimal, somewhat boring interior"

"As reluctant as I was to trade in my 2009 Audi A4, I wanted something newer and with a little better gas mileage since I do a ton of traveling for work. The Impreza Limited fit the bill for what I was looking for. Two things I didn't want to give up was the heated leather seats and all-wheel drive. Since I previously owned two Subarus (a 2000 Forester and a 2009 Legacy), I knew the all-wheel drive would be top-notch and almost unstoppable in the PA winters. The interior is definitely roomy and could comfortably (very important word here) seat 5 adults. The handling is much better than expected and is very stiff and hugs the corners around sharp turns, something I was afraid of losing when I traded my Audi. I'm not comparing the two vehicles, but the difference between the two is not much. For all of the things that I love about this car, the common thing that everybody does not like is the acceleration. You're buying an $25,000 Impreza, not a McLaren MP4 or even an Impreza WRX or an STi. Of course there's gonna be an obvious acceleration issue. The way I look at it is that it's a trade-off for the all-wheel drive that will be more than useful during the winter months. Besides, 36+ mpg on an all-wheel drive vehicle? I'll take that any day of the week. I've hit 38.4 mpg on a 200 mile drive with the cruise on, and that's even with hitting the gas to get through traffic more than a few times. Everybody's second complaint is the stereo. The package I had came with a double-DIN sized stereo with HD Radio built in. It's adequate at best, but I won't waste time and space reviewing this since you can easily upgrade the stereo for $200-300 at your local electronics store. The interior itself is somewhat plain. Not something that you'd look inside and go "wow!", but being the entry level Subaru I wasn't expecting to be blown away by the interior. That said, if there was some thing that could be improved, this would be high on my list. There is nothing that I don't like about this car, but there is some room for improvement."

Best Subaru Yet.... 2012 Impreza Limited Sedan

By on Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pros: "Styling, Comfort, Gas Mileage and AWD"

Cons: "No Satellite Radio without Navigation"

"I took delivery of my new Impreza a few weeks ago and I am very happy with the car, everything I expected and more. I like the way it looks and find it very comfortable and fun to drive. The Limited leather interior is really nice looking and there is plenty of room for the Driver and up to 3 passengers. I know some folks criticize the CVT Transmission but I find it to be very pleasant to drive. It seems to keep the relatively small motor in it's comfort zone and delivers fabulous gas mileage. I have been averaging about 35 MPG in mixed driving which is beyond my expectations. I believe it will better the advertised 36 MPG on the highway using cruise control. The Bluetooth Cell Phone connection is a little hokey to figure out, but once the phone is paired the voice quality is excellent; much better than my wife's Mercedes. I was disappointed that my contacts would not transfer, but I have an old cell phone which is probably the reason. My car has a sunroof and it's a very nice option. I am 6'2" and I have plenty of head room even with the sunroof. This is my 3rd Subaru over a 20 year period and this one is by far the best. I looked around quite a bit before deciding on the Impreza and no other car I considered came close to the value offered by Subaru. It's a great vehicle and I highly recommend taking one for a test drive before deciding on which new car you are going to purchase."

Totally useful

By on Friday, June 24, 2016

Pros: "Great useful all around car for the money"

Cons: "wind noise - heated seat controls bad placement"

1 ½ cubic yards of mulch with still room for a passenger

"Our other car is 2013 Mercedes C300 AWD. Instead of taking over the 2012 Ben, I opted for a new Suby. Why pay expensive maintenance and premium gas? I wouldn't had consider this if not a hatchback and the limited edition-both well worth the extra price. Great value for the money. Unlike the Benz when I want any combination of heat/cold/defrost it is instant and I don't have to look at the controls.I easily can change the air and cabin filters. Handling is great. Hatchback hauls lots of stuff. 1 ½ cubic yards of mulch. Also my wife's real estate signs and I don't even have to put the rear seats down. Put on 4 Blizzak snow tires and in spring replaced with Michelins. This is my "common sense" answer to having a Miata.Now I may consider the new platform they are coming out with. Previous cars I have own Lexus, Volvos,Honda Accords."

1 ½ cubic yards of mulch with still room for a passenger

Highest Mileage, Least Expensive AWD Car

By on Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Pros: "Good Fuel Economy, Good snow car with proper tires"

Cons: "CVT gear change lag, Stock tires are worthless"

"I have 33,000 miles on my 2013 Impreza Sport Premium. I read some reviews where people complain about not getting the EPA mileage. I have owned this car long enough to know that you can get 36 mpg at highway speeds, but not at freeway speeds. My experience is that at 55 to 60 mph I get 36+ mpg. At 70 mph I am down to about 33-34 mpg. It drops rapidly from there, at 75 mph I am lucky to get 31 mpg. All of this is at basically sea level. At altitude, the mileage suffers a little more. The only downsides to this car are: The CVT takes a little while to change from Reverse to Drive, which can be annoying when backing out into traffic and you would like to go forward RIGHT NOW! Also, the stock tires are helpless in the snow. I could barely manage in the snow with the stock tires. I have equipped it with Nokian WR G3 tires and now it is a snow beast -- As a Subaru should be."

A little disappointed to be honest...

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Price, leg room, AWD"

Cons: "Interior build quality, performance, speakers"

"Before I go out to buy a new vehicle, I read tons of online reviews, ask other owner's opinions, and pick the brains of my mechanics before I make my final decision. I know how useful a heartfelt and in-depth review is to most people. So here we go... I bought my 2013 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium CVT (hatch) last June, 2013. I had never owned a Subaru until I purchased this vehicle. My main "needs" for purchasing this vehicle: I needed to fit comfortably in the car (I am 6'3"), needed something reliable, needed AWD for NE weather, and needed good gas mileage. I commute 120 miles everyday to and from work. Right now I am just shy of 30,000 miles, so I wanted to give an in-depth owner review. Starting from price paid: I got a pretty decent deal on this car. I showed up to the dealer with no intent of purchasing my Impreza that day. However, they made me an offer I could not refuse for my old Toyota Corolla (which had 245,00 miles on the original motor and transmission and I had ZERO issues with) and shaved quite a bit off the Window Price to make room for the 2014 stock. I did not want this exterior color, or interior color, but like I said the price was just too good to pass up so I sacrificed some of my "wants" for price. My first "need": I am 6'3"; I did not fit well in my old Toyota Corolla. I needed something that was more comfortable for longer rides to accommodate how long of a commute I have. I fit comfortably in this car. The seats are not the best, but they are not the worst either. Added lumbar support would make all the difference. With my seat all the way back, there is still plenty of room in the back seat for other (normal sized) people. In one instance, folding down the rear seats I was able to cut some sheet stock plywood in half and haul that back to my house from the Depot with ease (not bad in my opinion). My second "need": I can't really complain about the reliability at this point. Just shy of 30,000 and there have not been any major issues. I have regularly changed my oil every 3,000 miles. One thing to note, which hasn't posed an issue yet... but it might: This engine burns a LOT of oil. I saw quite a few other reviewers commenting on this as well. Every time that I have changed my oil to date, I have noticed that my car is burning 1 to 1/2 quarts of oil every 3,000 miles. Not sure if this is normal with Subaru's, not ever owning one before. But my old Corolla would spit out whatever you put in it 3,000 miles later. Hopefully this doesn't get worse as my car gets older. My third "need": the AWD in this car is pretty good from what I've thrown at it so far, but I really have not been able to test the true capabilities due to the fact that the tires that come on these rims are absolutely terrible. Do yourself a favor and pick up a nice set of continentals. I did 3/4 of the way through this winter, and I wished I did sooner they make all the difference. With the stock Yokahamas that come on these rims, turning or trying to pull yourself out of 6" of snow is impossible, even with AWD. I drove in a couple dozen snow storms this winter back and forth to work, and I wish I got different tires sooner. With the continentals that I have on it now, I'm pretty sure I could climb the Eifel Tower in this car hahaha My fourth "need": I have averaged 26-29 mpg on this car. In the winter I have seen as low as 24 mpg, and summer high as 32 mpg. Do not go by the gauge on the dash, mine is off my about 3 mpg in either direction. I was hoping that I could get the window advertised gas mileage, but I have not come close. To be honest, I think it is the 2.0 in this car. To get up to highway speeds and maintain 60-80 mph definitely pushes this car to its limits with aggressive highway driving (I have to in my commute, or you might as well get run over). I did not buy this car for performance, but you would think that the EPA ratings would take into account aggressive highway driving into their calculations. I know a couple of other people who get similar mileage as I do and have slightly shorter commutes. I was getting 34 mpg minimum with my old Toyota... I want to touch upon a couple other things with this car that I have noticed: I find that the cup holder arrangement is very odd, considering the armrest goes over one of the cup holders. It is not ergonomically friendly. This is probably not something that you would notice right away, but at 530 am when you are leaving for work, fumbling with your coffee mug can get messy. The stereo is NOT a strong point for this car. One thing about me, I am always listening to music where ever I go, so the fact that Subaru could not get a decent stereo in here is pretty disappointing. The passenger side dash speaker died 2 months into me owning this car, still haven't fixed it yet, I will get around to it eventually. The "upgraded" stereo system does not sound that much better, by the way, and in my opinion is not worth the extra money. Do yourself a favor and get a professional system installed. Don't even bother with the blue tooth... My dashboard is coming loose. This can definitely be attributed to the fact that 90% of Massachusetts roads are garbage and filled with pot holes, but the amount of dashboard noise I have right now is what a 15 year old car should sound like, not a 9 month old car. If you are listening to songs that are bassy you can even hear the pieces of plastic that have broken off shaking around on the inside of the dash. Normally this wouldn't have been that big of a deal for me, but since I drive 120 miles every day this gets pretty annoying fast. There is not as much road noise as everyone else says... The motor in this car is pretty lack-luster. Like I mentioned above, I did not buy this car for its performance. But I would have expected it to be a little peppier considering it is such a small car. If this went back to the 2.5 L that was in the older Impreza's, I'm sure I would be more happy. I was reluctant on buying this vehicle with the CVT. I will say I am very impressed with the CVT transmission. It is seamless going up to speed, and playing with the paddle shifters is fun on back roads. Having the extra 6th "gear" is nice for cruising. I put "gear" in quotations because it technically is just a ratio, not a gear. The paint that Subaru used on the exterior is pretty soft. If you were to take your thumb nail and press it up agains the paint on the car, you would see a mark permanently left there. Overall, I would say that this car is a solid car that meets my needs (generally). From this post, you can probably tell that I am getting into the nit picky, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible. It is definitely not the most high quality vehicle you can buy, but it will get you from point A to point B with minimal issues. To be honest, I don't know if I would buy another Subaru, just because the interior build quality is so terrible. If this car actually got the advertised window MPG, I would probably be a happy customer. Its the little things that add up with this one... I think next vehicle I am just going to buy another Toyota."

Decent car for the money

By on Monday, November 7, 2016

Pros: "Good mileage, easy to drive ."

Cons: "Paint! Hesitating going uphill from a stop."

"Bought it because I needed a AWD car before the snow flew . I drive over 125 miles round trip daily. It is a decent size car I have good visibility. The dash is user friendly, but I like the controls on the wheel it makes turning the radio stations much easier for me. Radio is not great as previous posters have mentioned. I am not impressed with the Toyo tires, they are very loud and I have had to bring it in several times since the sensors light up frequently. I would like to see Subaru offer different interiors in some of the car choices. My biggest complaint is the paint quality, I have many dings and chips on the front bumper, hood and on some on the doors from gravel. Subaru does not stand behind their paint."

Great design/real improve over prior years

By on Sunday, July 7, 2013

Pros: "Price, fun to drive, interior"

Cons: "Mileage, stock speakers"

"The good: This is my first Subaru. I cross shopped the Elantra GT, Mazda3 and Ford Focus and choose the Subaru, because of the space inside and interior feel on the limited. Overall I've been very happy with the car. Reliability has been great with zero issues. The leather in the limited trim seems to wear well with proper car. At low speed traffic the car really feels low geared and peppy. No one mentions this, but the suspension really soaks up bumps and uneven pavement. The result? A quiet smooth ride IMHO. The Bad: I ordered my Marine Blue from a local dealer in Sep. 2012 and took delivery in Dec. 2012. Hopefully this is not happening to people now, but Subaru underestimated interest (big time!). Gas mileage has been just average. I've gotten 24-27 in town depending on how I drive. Mileage on the highway is great and is easily 34-36. There's a bit more sway and lean when cornering (fix with bigger sway bar set?). While not unusable the stereo is pretty bad. The good thing is that the speaker upgrade is simple and straight forward."

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "Great all around car (good MPH)"

Cons: "good MPG = lower power :-("

"I love the way this car drive, feels, and looks. The only thing I really want more is a more stylistic dashboard with a slightly more fashonable control pannel (but that is just me). I completly recomend this car, and I can go anywhere and do anything with it. BTW Great for pets owners!!!!"

Smart, Practical, Fun

By on Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pros: "MPG improvement, AWD, comfortable interior"

Cons: "CVT is not yet perfect"

"After more than four months of ownership (Premium hatchback), I still get a kick out of this car. It's plenty quick (we have the CVT) and smooth, handles precisely, provides great 360-degree visibility, and has a peaceful interior. It's comfortable, uncluttered, and spacious for a compact. Plenty of storage spaces, too. Wind and engine noise are minimal, road noise can become noticeable on some surfaces. The sound system is about average for the class, which means it's a big step forward for a Subaru. Storage space in the back is ample, and with the rear seats folded flat, you can stow a lot of stuff. The seats are comfortable and have tons of adjustment. Buff books and enthusiasts moan about the CVT, but it's better than most automatic transmissions. When you need power, it's there. It's not perfect yet, but Subaru has already issued two updates to the programming to improve performance. We're quite happy with it as it is, and it will only get better. We've been averaging about 32 mpg around town, and up to 34.5 in mostly-highway driving, even in the mountains. The Impreza has no trouble crossing the Continental Divide, at 11,000 feet, at 70 mph. My wife and I opted for the moonroof/alloy wheels/winter package. We enjoy them at least as much as we expected. Fit and finish seem excellent; the doors open and close with little effort. All that makes it comparable to, if not superior to, most other compacts. But the Impreza adds AWD, and in snow country, that puts it way above the competition."