2008 Subaru Impreza

Based on 298 Ratings for the 2008 - 2011 models.

Good car except the manual transmission

By on Friday, February 13, 2015

Pros: "This is a good quality car that's fun to drive."

Cons: "The hard shifting manual transmission."

"I've had this car for 6+ years, 65k miles without any major mechanical issues. It performs well and delivers approx. 23 city, 26 highway mpg. The biggest issue with this car is the manual transmission, it was hard shifting from the time I got it and has gotten somewhat worse over time. I have taken it in for this issue twice and was told that nothing could be done. Actually the service rep suggested that I could double clutch when I shifted. And their head mechanic finally did offer the statement that Subaru didn't have the most "refined" manual transmissions. He did say that they are better now. Since this has been the worst shifting car that I have ever owned, with the exception of a Ford Pinto, I will not have another Subaru with a manual transmission."

Very Reliable and Economic

By on Friday, December 05, 2014

Pros: "Great price New and still holds its value"

"Over 4 years old {2010} and not one single bad issue or problem. 25000+ miles. Always starts and runs beautifuly!Great all weather car."

great car

By on Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Cons: "have 2 buy 4 tires at a time"

"this car has ben great hade to-do some engine work.W- pump/ timing belt"

Best all-around family friendly sports car

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, versatile"

Cons: "lack of some comfort/luxury features"

"There is truly no comparison. What other car can I put two car seats in the back, two bikes on the roof, two dogs in the hatch and still have so much fun driving... Nothing. It's amazing how many people want to race at red lights and then I roll down the window and they see my kiddos in the back seat. Best purchase ever."

Good solid small car but limited in cargo space.

By on Saturday, October 25, 2014

Reason: needed bigger vehicle w/ trunk

Pros: "Price was good and OK in town and on road."

Cons: "A little small for travel purposes; overall nice."

"I really enjoyed this small 4-door hatchback. Very good in Denver's snow and cold weather. Needed a little more clearance for snow and ice to be rated great. Car was comfortable, and apportioned OK. A little noisy on the highway. Transmission versatility was handy in the snow. Disappointed in the stero system. My Legacy has a much better stero system. Room for 4 adults, but with 4 adults really cut into get up and go. Overall, enjoyed this vehicle. First Subaru I bought and would recommend them for cold weather climate with snow and icy roads."

Very nice sporty vehicle

By on Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Pros: "Great handling, beautiful exterior design"

Cons: "Needs a better interior package. Very 90's."

"Love the design and features. Could use a major upgrade technology wise as everything is very basic."

A lot of car for the money.

By on Monday, September 22, 2014

Pros: "4WD, room for people and cargo, standard features."

Cons: "maintenance cost."

"This is a sensible, all season, roomy car ahead of its class."

I love my ride

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

Pros: "Dependable transportation."

Cons: "None to speak of."

"I's a Subaru."

Best car I ever owned

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "Great value, hugs the road"

Cons: "Overdrive kicks in too soon"

"The car is still great after 7 years! My dealership is great, the car is as close to maintenance free as possible. All wheel drive wonderful."

Solid transportation.

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "4-wheel drive; reliability"

Cons: "Outdated 4-speed transmission."

"The Subaru Imprezza has been a reliable car for four people. The seats are comfortable on long trips and the luggage area is spacious with the aspect of a small wagon. I chose the Imprezza because I wanted a four-wheel-drive car, not an SUV, because of better driving dynamics. The design is good with a few quirks: the 4-speed automatic was outdated when the car was new, and the motor sticks out so far ahead of the wheels that the front bumper scrapes parking barriers. Mileage is 20-22 in town and 26-28 on the road. I have no hesitation in recommending this car."

Solid Commuter Car, but Noisy

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "All wheel drive!"

Cons: "Rattles, rattles, rattles"

"I drive this car every day as a commuter. I average 26 MPG and travel the majority of the time on the highway. I have had no major mechanical issues since I bought the car in November 2009. The only thing I don't like about this and every other Subaru I own (currently 3), is that it is a noisy car on the highway. After about the first year, the car developed a series of annoying rattles. I have gone to great lengths to identify, locate, and eliminate the noises and have had some success. Even with the noises I have no regrets buying this car. I have definately gotten my money's worth. I am the only person on my block that wasn't stranded during the blizzard we had in 2010! That has to be worth something."

Performance Value

By on Sunday, July 13, 2014

Pros: "Fair Price and extremely fun to drive"

Cons: "Cabin quality need improvement, road noise"

"As the title states, this car is a great value for the performance it has to offer. It has great handling capabilities and will not hesitate to reach high speeds. The ride comfort is very smooth, sometimes its hard to know how fast your actually going without looking at the speedometer. Gas mileage could be better but, when you buy a small turbo vehicle I am sure gas mileage is not a concern. interior is comfortable and spacious for a smaller vehicle. Quality of the interior is fair enough. Road noise in the cabin does get to be annoying when driving on the highway. Sound system and radio needs quality and clarity improvement. Overall the car is good enough to handle everyday task and driving, of course improvements can be made. The low price leaves a lot of room for personal customization. Dealer options are very nice but also very pricey. I am satisfied with the car, I am actually looking to trade in for a newer model in the near future."

Only thing good is it's all wheel drive feature.

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Pros: "all wheel drive and the price"

Cons: "gas mileage, styling, comfort, technology"

"This car is my 2nd Impreza my first being a 2008. I had this car for 3 years now and it has been back for the following repairs: caliper sticking causing the cars brakes on the left front side to jam up causing the car to be pulled toward on coming traffic. A bad wheeling bearing. The car looks generic and can be lost in a parking lot due to it's drab plain looks. The interior is cheaply made compared to other vehicles in it's class.It is behind other car mfg. in technology by at least 5 years or more. It's gas mileage is pathetic compared to other cars of this size. My 2008 had the same engine and got 30 -32 MPG I hardly see 25 MPG in this one. As I stated in the summary the only good part is the all wheel drive feature."

Great car: fun, versatile, reliable

By on Sunday, June 22, 2014

Pros: "acceleration, exterior styling, AWD/traction"

Cons: "no lumbar support"

"I love this car. I am a fairly active person who does a lot of freeway driving and mountain driving. While the impreza won't take you into anything more than gravel, it'll do a whole lot else, and it does it well. The engine is jewel. Great acceleration, torque, and umpff when you want it; so fun to drive. Overall I got 25mpg for my combined and usually hit 30mpg on the highway. The AWD drive system is great. Never have I felt insecure in this car. whether it was snow, hail, LA traffic, twisty mountain roads, mud, or me being a clueless driver, this car never lost traction. The interior is nice; good layout and functionality. I had a leather wrapped steering wheel and controls; which were very handy. The basic sound system isn't great, but works. Seats are alright for comfort, not alright for 3+ hours. I have always been shocked how much I can fit in this car. Although the hatchback would be nice, moving throughout college wasnt an issue. The exterior styling is my favorite. I am constantly asked if I have a beemer due to the pearl paint and aggressive styling. I have never been embarrassed to give my date a ride in this thing. Good reliability. At 83k and going strong!"

2008 WRX STi : Best Car I have owned

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pros: "Quick Acceleration, sharp handling, reliable, FUN"

Cons: "Paint chips easily"

"Let me say first, Ive owned 2 other vehicles in my lifetime. A 2001 BMW 330ci, and a 2011 mustang gt 5.0, and hands down this is my favorite car. Ive owned this car for roughly 2 years now, and roughly 12,000 miles. In this short span, this car has seen driven me through blizzards, up dirt roads, and through heavy rain storms, and never once made me feel incapable of making it there. The awd system is amazing and the DCCD the STI comes with is amazing. This car still brings a smile to my face every morning when I start it(maybe its the Invidia exhuast with that beautiful boxer motor). And the best part, everything is built to last. I have two dogs, am an avid snowboarder and cyclist and one would have no clue by looking at the interior of this car. The seats and inside of the doors are flawless, and this is after many a trip. If I were to find one flaw with this car, and this is me really being nit picky, it is the paint. I dont know why, but boy oh boy, the paint chips easily. If I had any advise to a new subaru owner, it is to get the front of the car covered in a clear bra."

Generic looking and behind times

By on Friday, June 13, 2014

Pros: "fair price for an all wheel drive car."

Cons: "feels cheap and not very comfortable, many returns"

"The only good thing about this car is it has all wheel drive.Other than that you can lose it in a parking lot due to it's generic looks. It lacks behind in electronic technology by a good 5 years or more compared to even lower priced cars. This is the 2nd one I have owned only because we need all wheel drive in the winter here. Can't wait for the lease to end soon. When i get out of my Volvo S60 and get into the Subaru I really notice how cheap the Subaru feels. Also had to have many repairs done like sticking caliber, wheel bearing, broken suspension, ect. all within the first 2 and 1/2 years"

2009 impreza 2.5i base/ great car

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "amazing in any weather condition"

Cons: "bit small"

"i bought this car October of 2011. i loved the car from the moment i first turned the key. i was 18 when i bought the car and im now 20. its the longest i have owned any vehicle. but i have to say that subaru love is real. i live in wisconsin so a car that can handle the snow, mud and gravel roads is a must. this car take every single thing you throw at it. i cant say i often drove my car nicely. the car has plenty of power for being naturally aspirated. the car handled the snow and ice amazingly. i never got stuck. in fact a few times i pulled trucks out of the ditch. just over all amazing car"

Zippy compact, great road handling, good headroom

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Pros: "Better than advertised freeway MPG, 30-35 MPG"

Cons: "Metro driving, stop and go, short hop 20-22 MPG"

"Solid handling at freeway speeds no matter what the weather. I get between 30-35 MPG on rolling freeways. Stop and go metro city driving is a different story at 20-22 MPG. The car has great headroom, but the legroom/knee room is tight for 6'4" person. Small trunk, but still fits golf clubs or suitcases for travel."

Subaru for life

By on Monday, May 05, 2014

Pros: "Great handling, easy acceleration, AWD"

Cons: "Ground clearance, sub par radio"

"I've had this car for 6 years and not one complaint. She still drives like she just left the dealer and hasn't needed a single repair other than typical maintenance visits. Subaru makes a quality car that will last and last. I debate constantly about getting a newer model but I haven't found a single reason to give up mine yet. She's got plenty of pickup and accelerates easily which is helpful in busy areas when you need to get onto a fast moving highway. The all wheel drive makes winters on the east coast more manageable. The only grievance I have ( and it's a minor one) is that I wish this car weren't so low to the ground. Potholes can do a number and I have to be weary of puddles in the flood prone areas. But this is an issue all standard cars will encounter. Ground clearance is a must have on my next vehicle. Overall, I love this car and I could never own another brand again. I'm a subaru trekker for life."

Did not live up to expectations

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "Great Price"

Cons: "Radio was poor in quality and I replaced it."

"I have had to replace the radiator and get the valve cover gaskets replaced. It is a lower priced car for a reason, but I would have thought that the Subaru name plate would give me more confidence than it has."

Love this car no repairs except brakes after 98k

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "quality craftmanship"

Cons: "trunk is a little small"

"I am a mechanical engineer. I believe subaru builds the best cars on the road. The symmetrical all wheel drive is special if you have somebody explain it to you. Besides the audi quattro nothing comes close in traction for a car."

7 years of fun trouble free driving

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Plows through snow with decent power"

Cons: "Seat comfort could be better."

"I bought my Impreza i after moving to a house at the top of a hill that my beloved Civic could not climb in winter. Seven years and 103k miles later, I still love it and recommend it to anyone. The AWD alone is great but Subaru packs every feature you need into the base model: AC, cruise, power everything and fold down seats. It's peppy, handles great and gets about 28mpg in my rural commute. Most important, it plows through snow which is the main reason I bought it."

Handles great with two small negatives

By on Friday, February 14, 2014

Pros: "wonderful to drive"

Cons: "not the best mileage and tough to get in & out of"

"Looks good, runs well with minimum attention and handles like a sports car. I have two problems with the car: The gas mileage is not great, averaging only 22 mpg overall. The second problem is only for me. I am a big guy who has done damage to his back and getting in and out of this sucker is uncomfortable for me"

Hands down the best car I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Pros: "practical, safe and FUN"

Cons: "radio could be better"

"After driving in the snow and ice that shut down Atl, I am a believer. The car held the road, got where we needed to go with no drama,I loved it in good weather, I ADORE it now!For the price? I'm not sure you can find a better car. Safety features galore,AWD,and just plain FUN to drive!"

Dream Machine

By on Friday, January 31, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive "small race car""

Cons: "Not so great on fuel."

"I absolutely love my 09 WRX. It is a very fun, exciting car for under 30k brand new. I paid 27k after taxes in June of 09. 3 Small modifications, and it's just as fast as an STI. Excellent in all weather. I have a dedicated set of winter tires, that I use from first snow to last. It's an absolute beast in the snow. Trucks follow me! All around great bang for your buck. Five seats, all with 3 point seatbelts, and enough cargo space for the family, groceries, and the family dog."