2009 Subaru Forester

8.0

Based on 271 Ratings for the 2009 - 2013 models.

a dependable car with one major flaw

By on Friday, September 9, 2016

Pros: "strong motor, tons of room, great visibility"

Cons: "Headgasket failure, punk gas mileage"

"My '09 Forester is easily the best car I've ever owned. Great outward visiblity, user friendly controls, roomy seating, a strong engine, and lots of cargo room are its high points. It's been my daily driver for seven years. The one hiccup--and it's a big one--was the early failure of the headgaskets. This was a known issue with Subaru's EJ25 boxer engine for many years, although I didn't expect it to happen so soon--at 60K miles. It's an expensive repair: 2100 dollars. Having had the HG's replaced, the Suby is back to its dependable self. Hope to drive it another three or four years."

Really great little vehicle

By on Sunday, November 18, 2012

Pros: "Great for shorter folk; lots of storage areas"

Cons: "Bad base radio, not for large families"

"I like my little car. Got new, 30K miles and no mechanical problems. Great car for short folk (I'm 5'2") with driver and steering wheel adjusts. TV ad with lady and all the kids and their stuff? Uh, no... With grandson's car seat, there's room for one small adult in back seat, no more. Not a car for someone with lots of kids and stuff. I didn't want moonroof but it came with. It leaked badly. Turned in, got rental, fixed in 3 days. Radio is NOT good. I get better mileage than advertised: 24 in town, 27 or better highway."

a trusted, comfortable workhorse

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable and trustworthy to drive"

"It takes us where we want to go when we want to go. With all the snow we get in northern New York, this vehicle is critical. And we have driven to Oklahoma and back, comfortably, 3 times. It gets terrific gas mileage even when loaded down with people, pets and cargo."

Hard working, versatile, reliable vehicle

By on Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Pros: "Safe, reliable, a great SPORT UTILITY vehicle"

Cons: "If you like sleek and stylish, not your SUV"

"This is my second Subaru Forester, and its as good as my first one. Its why Im ready to buy a third one. I live in predominantly rural, hilly, snowy Chautauqua County, NY where 150+ inches of snow is par for most winters, and this SUV is probably the best you will find for winter driving in this area. Its also great at taking you off-road even if its not rated as an off-road vehicle. I drive it regularly on logging/gas well access roads and on mowed trails on my rural property as well as on the unpaved roads in state forest lands. Ive even driven it down to creek beds and across fields. Just watch your ground clearance! As a typical Subi, this Forester, like my previous one, never has had any mechanical/electronics issue. All those Subaru commercials do not lie!"

First Car Purchase

By on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pros: "handles great, roomy, comfort, travel friendly"

Cons: "maintenance expense"

"This is the first vehicle I purchased on my own. While nervous about making such a big investment, I'm happy to say that my Forester has not let me down one bit! Because I commute about 80 miles (round-trip) to work every day the oil change/maintenance expenses are more than I'd really like, but even when it's close to being due it still runs like a champ. Great gas mileage for an SUV, espeically on the highway. First long distance trip (KS to Vegas), a plane ticket cost about the same as gas. At least by driving I got to stop and experience some things I wanted to along the way! Also, has tons of leg room that makes travelling a breeze. Handled well through the mountains and this winter in some crazy blizzard conditions. Plenty of cup holders and storage compartments. If there's one thing I hate about some cars is the lack of these features! While I don't keep a ton of stuff in my car, I need cup holders, place to put insurance, or keep things we tend to need (like pens, tire pressure checker thing, cd holder)."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Forester near Honolulu. See local deals