1999 Subaru Forester

Based on 317 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Good family car

By on Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"I bought this car just over a year and a half ago when we decided to have our second child and it is great for that purpose. I have 2 car seats (1 toddler seat and 1 infant seat) and usually an 80lb dog in the car. My only issue is the passenger seat has to be closer to the dash than most people like because I cannot fit the infant seat behind my seat (and I'm only 5'6"), the back seat needs to be further back. I have also had to replace both O2 sensors and a CV shaft but since I bought it with 119K, that's not a big deal. That said, it's good in the snow, gets good gas mileage, and handles really well, I enjoy driving this car."

Great College Car

By on Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"Got this car to commute everyday, around 10 miles, to college. This car is an absolute beast, I took it offroading, drove it in heavy Michigan snow, rain and mud. The Subie never lost a step, started on a dime and pumped AC or heat quickly. Only problems I had was with the overhead clock (busted), the seats aren't comfortable (who cares) and I replaced the stock tires with Kelly all terrains. 104K miles so far. Red Forester S."

I LOVE my Subaru. Pushing 200K miles !

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, RELIABLE, STURDY, WELL BUILT and .."

Cons: "none I can think of, except tires all 4 go at once"

"Of course I would recommend this car! My parents owned a 1992 Subaru and love it - its still in use! Glad I bought this Forester!!"

Just keeps on running

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, agile in traffic, easy maintenance"

Cons: "Slow from a stop, a rougher ride than most sedans"

"My 2001 Forester was all factory original at 170,000 (other than expected maintenance like battery replacement, etc), and now at 190,000 I just had the head gaskets replaced. The dealer basically gave me the bad news: I'll probably only get another 100,000 miles on the engine. It is amazing how far you can go with defensive driving habits (car is accident-free) and routine maintenance. These old Foresters are pretty slow from a start, but it is a perfect vehicle for snowy winters, and like the ads say, it has a high resale value if ever you decide to sell. With that in mind, this one is already claimed by my teenager, so I'll be shopping for another Subaru before too long."

Surprisingly good car

By on Friday, January 13, 2012

Pros: "Very handy compact suv with all wheel drive."

Cons: "Some early problems with brakes"

"I have owned this car for 12 years and I have been pleasantly surprised at what a good car it has turned out to be. Little extras much appreciated, as with heated front seats, electric digital compass in mirror. Very good handling for such a high box, excellent visibility, headroom front and back. So much in a compact car, shorter than average compact sedan. With 5 speed manual get 25-28 mpg, with low 30's traveling out of state where fuel has more energy (not oxyginated). Recommend increasing tires one size for additional stability."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Forester near Honolulu. See local deals