1999 Subaru Forester

Based on 314 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Amazing car

By on Friday, July 22, 2016

Pros: "reliability, longevity"

Cons: "Oil leakage after 200k (!!!)"

"This is my wife's car, she loves it and has bonded significantly. It's not my type of vehicle but I'm amazed at what I've (not) had to do to it in 300k miles. Used synthetic oil, changed the trans fluid and filter regularly, and it still runs great. Original axles, did the brakes a few times, plugs, filters, etc....the only issue is the typical oil head-gasket leakage. I just keep my eye on the oil level and call it good. I can't believe a car can go 300k with nothing but routine maintenance."

The Best All Around Vehicle Ever

By on Friday, January 25, 2008

"I get close to 30mpg on the highway and with the all wheel drive I still go more places than my friends do with their big 4x4s. It handles really good in the snow. In fact I drove it out on the lake to go ice fishing. I got close to getting stuck a couple times, but when you are motoring through up to 2 feet of snow I was very impressed!!! I've owned two fullsized trucks and a jeep before this forester and I still go through the woods and snow like I used to. This car is the BEST overal buy on the market period."

Versatility Quality Cost Efficient Work Horse

By on Saturday, June 11, 2016

Pros: "Low maintenance. Safe in All Weather"

Cons: "Wee bit of coaxing over steep steep mountains"

"This is a safe, dependable, cost effective, vehicle. I have 156k on it and it runs like a top! Replaced front seat-belts when they would no longer pull out and retract properly. This car is amazing. Hope to keep driving her forever!!"

Saved my sons life!!!

By on Thursday, September 2, 2010

"I've owned this car since 2001, always reliable no major issues, just routine maintenace. My son recieved his license in June. It just took a glace away from the road (no cell phone or texting) and he hit a telephone pole. The pole broke in two and the car was totaled. All he had was brusing and a sprained ankle. The Forester took all the brunt and goes to show that it is well built and a safe vehicel. Time to buy another one."

A solid all-weather vehicle

By on Monday, September 8, 2008

"This is an excellent vehiclewhich I've driven in torrential rain and winter snow. It has held up wonderfully. The backseat is a little on the small side, but the performance is wonderful."

Bought Subaru saved on insurance Bought used saved

By on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pros: "Good Price Used, Saves on Insurance"

Cons: "`03 is outdated and used Love the 2010 allweather"

"Subaru`s have been very very Good for me, We have mom`s 1991, have leased an 06 Tribecca saved on insurance, leased then bought an 09 Forester, (insurance on two cars less than our daughters 2002 Maxima) Bought this 03 in April as a back up for the 1991 both have less than 100K so still young. In May the 09 was destroyed in a head-on, just purchased a 10 used of course. If you only need room for five consider a Forester. (note) we had a Toyota for a rental WORST CAR EVER poor handling and cannot see out rear window !!! no wonder Toyota drivers always ride their brakes!!"

Great College Car

By on Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"Got this car to commute everyday, around 10 miles, to college. This car is an absolute beast, I took it offroading, drove it in heavy Michigan snow, rain and mud. The Subie never lost a step, started on a dime and pumped AC or heat quickly. Only problems I had was with the overhead clock (busted), the seats aren't comfortable (who cares) and I replaced the stock tires with Kelly all terrains. 104K miles so far. Red Forester S."

Good family car

By on Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"I bought this car just over a year and a half ago when we decided to have our second child and it is great for that purpose. I have 2 car seats (1 toddler seat and 1 infant seat) and usually an 80lb dog in the car. My only issue is the passenger seat has to be closer to the dash than most people like because I cannot fit the infant seat behind my seat (and I'm only 5'6"), the back seat needs to be further back. I have also had to replace both O2 sensors and a CV shaft but since I bought it with 119K, that's not a big deal. That said, it's good in the snow, gets good gas mileage, and handles really well, I enjoy driving this car."

I LOVE my Subaru. Pushing 200K miles !

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, RELIABLE, STURDY, WELL BUILT and .."

Cons: "none I can think of, except tires all 4 go at once"

"Of course I would recommend this car! My parents owned a 1992 Subaru and love it - its still in use! Glad I bought this Forester!!"

Just keeps on running

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, agile in traffic, easy maintenance"

Cons: "Slow from a stop, a rougher ride than most sedans"

"My 2001 Forester was all factory original at 170,000 (other than expected maintenance like battery replacement, etc), and now at 190,000 I just had the head gaskets replaced. The dealer basically gave me the bad news: I'll probably only get another 100,000 miles on the engine. It is amazing how far you can go with defensive driving habits (car is accident-free) and routine maintenance. These old Foresters are pretty slow from a start, but it is a perfect vehicle for snowy winters, and like the ads say, it has a high resale value if ever you decide to sell. With that in mind, this one is already claimed by my teenager, so I'll be shopping for another Subaru before too long."

Surprisingly good car

By on Friday, January 13, 2012

Pros: "Very handy compact suv with all wheel drive."

Cons: "Some early problems with brakes"

"I have owned this car for 12 years and I have been pleasantly surprised at what a good car it has turned out to be. Little extras much appreciated, as with heated front seats, electric digital compass in mirror. Very good handling for such a high box, excellent visibility, headroom front and back. So much in a compact car, shorter than average compact sedan. With 5 speed manual get 25-28 mpg, with low 30's traveling out of state where fuel has more energy (not oxyginated). Recommend increasing tires one size for additional stability."

Love it

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pros: "zippy,fun to drive,easy to park,lots of cargo room"

Cons: "oil fltr hard toget to,raised ctr console wd b nic"

"My family has/has had 8 subarus in our lifetime and we all love them! they're zippy and fun to drive, very easy to park and have lots of cargo space. the fuel economy is also a . on the downside, we do our own oil changes and the oil filter on my 2010 forester is a challenge to get to. also a raised center console/arm rest would be nice. All in all, we're a happy Subaru family."

Durable, consistent, and safe

By on Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"Bought our 2001 Forester because of AWD and winter suitability; it now has 225,000 and still going strong. We put high mileage on all our vehicles (Audi, Subaru) and the Forester had the least amount of maintenance needs. Catalytic converter replacement at 170K has been biggest expense outside of timing belt replacement at 100K intervals. Has handled exceptionally well in wet and snow, still gets ~ 25 mpg with highway driving. Probably the best car for the money I've ever owned."

Forester is well worth the money!

By on Thursday, September 17, 2009

"Bought my 2002 Forester brand new and have put on 162000 miles on it since bought brand new over eight years ago. Still runs almost as good as brand new. Definitely recommend the Forester to anyone considering buying a solid pre-owned vehicle."

GREAT VEHICLE

By on Friday, August 14, 2009

"My 1999 Forester now has 198000 miles on it and has never left me stranded. Still has original clutch and struts. Gets 27-30 mpg. I put cv joints in myself one time and that's been the only repair other than regular maintenance. Most reliable car I have ever owned. Also own a 2004 Forester XT."

worth the $$ to keep!

By on Monday, January 26, 2009

"I bought my 2000 Forester in 2005 with 60k on it. I did all the maintenance stuff (60k service, brakes, tires) and had no worries for a while. At 80k my mechanic pressed me about getting the head gasket replaced. He said many Subaru's in those years had a lot of problems. $2500 later, she is running like a champ again! Only problems have been the head gasket and the fan - Only the high setting works for me now. Overall a great car! I appreciate a car that can haul 1 couch, 1 dining set, 1 bookcase, and a rug 60 miles from IKEA can still get good gas mileage!"

this thing will take a beating

By on Monday, November 17, 2008

"I've had this car for almost 10 years, and i cant believe its still running. I have gotten it a couple of feet off the ground going around 40 miles an hour, driven it in a whole foot of snow for hours, towed 2-3 times the recommended limit, and been in numerous accidents, and i have come out of all of this without a scratch. I have had to replace the wheel bearings in the rear twice (doesn't like towing two tons of furniture), but the transmission and engine have just kept on going. I would recommend this car to anyone who needs an AWD car for a daily driver, and occasionally a workhorse, or a toy."

Very dependable vehicle

By on Thursday, May 15, 2008

"I bought my 2000 forester used, it was about 2 years old and had 35,000 miles on it. I have owned it for 6 years and it is very reliable and has only needed minimal maintenance. I feel very safe driving it and it is pretty good on gas. I am very pleased with this vehicle."

Solid, Reliable, Fun

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2008

"As a ten-year owner/operator I can say that this is the best value I have had in any vehicle. Performs all SUV functions well (for its size), including towing, carrying, beach cruising, rain and snow stability. Great visibility all around. Strange defect: wheel paint wears off, showing black under coat!"

What it's said to be

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2008

"Got this just about two years ago. It only had 42,000 miles on it. Just about to turn to 102,000 miles. It has been good all around. The rear seal has had to be replaced, as well as the rear wheel bearings. That's a common problem, from what I have heard. Later models did better. I like it especially for it's ability to get around in the slippery weather. It has just enough room for most of my needs-okay, I previously had a Saturn SL2, a fine car in it's own right, but not much on space. And it is not so long that you have to pass up many parking spaces. I hope Subaru brings out a diesel Forester with their redesign, at least within a couple of years. That will be something to look into."

Drive Without Worry

By on Wednesday, August 1, 2007

"Will go anywhere, and you know you're going to get there. Never any problems. A drive across the country and into Canada was a breeze. Safety is its first name, but comfort is a close second. More power than you would ever need to use, but it's there if you need it. Very powerful brakes, and the mileage is very acceptable. Have owned it since October of 1998, and would never, by choice, own anything but a Subaru Forester!"

great vehicle, totally reliable, love it!

By on Monday, July 1, 2013

Pros: "see above"

"Bought it when we lived in the mountains and found it to be a regular mountain goat on the winding roads. It's 10 years old and has given me no problems mechanically so far. I understand getting 200,000 miles on this car is a snap and I believe it."

Reliable, comfortable, good gas mileage.

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "Outstanding reliability and comfort."

Cons: "None."

"I love this car. Meets my needs as a daily driver, good for long trips, carries my kayak and gear, easy to park, fit and finish excellent. Great reliability."

super, roomy, comfy, reliable

By on Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pros: "very stable, comfortable, trouble free"

Cons: "snow and ice build up in wheel wells"

"Love it, not too tall to reach when loading kayak, lots of room, love dimming rear view mirror, heated seats. Cup holders in front a bit cheesy. Love all the little compartments - in arm rest, doors, dash and especially love the sun glass compartment. Love the heaters for outside mirrors etc. I trust it!"

Fantastic Car!

By on Monday, January 2, 2012

Pros: "Great price, reliable engine, functional features"

Cons: "A little slow on the pick-up, slightly noisy drive"

"I love my Subaru. It is a right-sized SUV, perfect for multi-terrain driving, yet good gas mileage for everyday driving. It has great visibility, a nice array of functional features (kind of a swiss-army knife), including onboard compass, well placed compartments, great lights... The engine is solid, gas mileage ranges from 21-28, and it performs excellently in rain, snow, on hilly driving, and so on. The AC/heat are quick to do their job, engine has never overheated, and maintenance costs are not too high. Keep this car on its maintenance schedule and it will love you back."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Forester near Honolulu. See local deals