1999 Subaru Forester

Based on 317 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

The Best All Around Vehicle Ever

By on Friday, January 25, 2008

"I get close to 30mpg on the highway and with the all wheel drive I still go more places than my friends do with their big 4x4s. It handles really good in the snow. In fact I drove it out on the lake to go ice fishing. I got close to getting stuck a couple times, but when you are motoring through up to 2 feet of snow I was very impressed!!! I've owned two fullsized trucks and a jeep before this forester and I still go through the woods and snow like I used to. This car is the BEST overal buy on the market period."

Versatility Quality Cost Efficient Work Horse

By on Saturday, June 11, 2016

Pros: "Low maintenance. Safe in All Weather"

Cons: "Wee bit of coaxing over steep steep mountains"

"This is a safe, dependable, cost effective, vehicle. I have 156k on it and it runs like a top! Replaced front seat-belts when they would no longer pull out and retract properly. This car is amazing. Hope to keep driving her forever!!"

Saved my sons life!!!

By on Thursday, September 2, 2010

"I've owned this car since 2001, always reliable no major issues, just routine maintenace. My son recieved his license in June. It just took a glace away from the road (no cell phone or texting) and he hit a telephone pole. The pole broke in two and the car was totaled. All he had was brusing and a sprained ankle. The Forester took all the brunt and goes to show that it is well built and a safe vehicel. Time to buy another one."

Bought Subaru saved on insurance Bought used saved

By on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pros: "Good Price Used, Saves on Insurance"

Cons: "`03 is outdated and used Love the 2010 allweather"

"Subaru`s have been very very Good for me, We have mom`s 1991, have leased an 06 Tribecca saved on insurance, leased then bought an 09 Forester, (insurance on two cars less than our daughters 2002 Maxima) Bought this 03 in April as a back up for the 1991 both have less than 100K so still young. In May the 09 was destroyed in a head-on, just purchased a 10 used of course. If you only need room for five consider a Forester. (note) we had a Toyota for a rental WORST CAR EVER poor handling and cannot see out rear window !!! no wonder Toyota drivers always ride their brakes!!"

Good family car

By on Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"I bought this car just over a year and a half ago when we decided to have our second child and it is great for that purpose. I have 2 car seats (1 toddler seat and 1 infant seat) and usually an 80lb dog in the car. My only issue is the passenger seat has to be closer to the dash than most people like because I cannot fit the infant seat behind my seat (and I'm only 5'6"), the back seat needs to be further back. I have also had to replace both O2 sensors and a CV shaft but since I bought it with 119K, that's not a big deal. That said, it's good in the snow, gets good gas mileage, and handles really well, I enjoy driving this car."

Great College Car

By on Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"Got this car to commute everyday, around 10 miles, to college. This car is an absolute beast, I took it offroading, drove it in heavy Michigan snow, rain and mud. The Subie never lost a step, started on a dime and pumped AC or heat quickly. Only problems I had was with the overhead clock (busted), the seats aren't comfortable (who cares) and I replaced the stock tires with Kelly all terrains. 104K miles so far. Red Forester S."

I LOVE my Subaru. Pushing 200K miles !

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, RELIABLE, STURDY, WELL BUILT and .."

Cons: "none I can think of, except tires all 4 go at once"

"Of course I would recommend this car! My parents owned a 1992 Subaru and love it - its still in use! Glad I bought this Forester!!"

Just keeps on running

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, agile in traffic, easy maintenance"

Cons: "Slow from a stop, a rougher ride than most sedans"

"My 2001 Forester was all factory original at 170,000 (other than expected maintenance like battery replacement, etc), and now at 190,000 I just had the head gaskets replaced. The dealer basically gave me the bad news: I'll probably only get another 100,000 miles on the engine. It is amazing how far you can go with defensive driving habits (car is accident-free) and routine maintenance. These old Foresters are pretty slow from a start, but it is a perfect vehicle for snowy winters, and like the ads say, it has a high resale value if ever you decide to sell. With that in mind, this one is already claimed by my teenager, so I'll be shopping for another Subaru before too long."

Surprisingly good car

By on Friday, January 13, 2012

Pros: "Very handy compact suv with all wheel drive."

Cons: "Some early problems with brakes"

"I have owned this car for 12 years and I have been pleasantly surprised at what a good car it has turned out to be. Little extras much appreciated, as with heated front seats, electric digital compass in mirror. Very good handling for such a high box, excellent visibility, headroom front and back. So much in a compact car, shorter than average compact sedan. With 5 speed manual get 25-28 mpg, with low 30's traveling out of state where fuel has more energy (not oxyginated). Recommend increasing tires one size for additional stability."

Love it

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pros: "zippy,fun to drive,easy to park,lots of cargo room"

Cons: "oil fltr hard toget to,raised ctr console wd b nic"

"My family has/has had 8 subarus in our lifetime and we all love them! they're zippy and fun to drive, very easy to park and have lots of cargo space. the fuel economy is also a . on the downside, we do our own oil changes and the oil filter on my 2010 forester is a challenge to get to. also a raised center console/arm rest would be nice. All in all, we're a happy Subaru family."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru Forester near Honolulu. See local deals