2009 smart fortwo

8.4

Based on 218 Ratings for the 2008 - 2015 models.

Fun car like no other

By on Tuesday, November 2, 2010

"Fun well designed car. Great to look at. Very comfortable (I'm 6ft4). Excellent customer care, with lots of warranty repairs, recalls, bulletins in the beginning, most reliable after that. Count on 40mpg on PREMIUM gas, always. Very safe on the freeway. Got it up to 90 mph, when the rev limiter kicked in. Excellent to drive in bad weather. More fun to drive hard! Cheap interior. Lousy speakers. Atrocious transmission, stalls and heaves when shifting. Jiggly ride. But so fun to drive and own. Depreciates fast! Get a low mileage good used one, or negotiate! DO NOT EVER pay MSRP on a smart! I did and found myself 2 grand upside down on my loan when I traded it in."

Good -by to the only car I've ever wanted

By on Sunday, September 11, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive, MPG, parking, interior room, safe,"

Cons: "M is for Mercedes and their service is expensive"

"I bought my 08 new and totaled it 2 weeks ago. I was driving on an interstate in a rain storm in the left lane. I was cut off by a large SUV or truck. When I went left to avoid it I hit flooding and hydroplaned to the right. Coming out of my first 360 in the right lane I and a truck collided on my left side. I then hit the guardrail on the right and continued my second 360 coming to rest in the shoulder facing the correct direction. The only physical problem I had was my right foot was sore the next day. The people in the truck got out to check on me and then checked their truck. They could find NO damage to their truck. Yet we hit with enough force to pop my hood. But most of my car is plastic. Every panel on my car had been nicked and my rear bumper was dangling. The hood is attached with a strap and I was able to put it back on. Not so the bumper, we pulled it off. I drove almost 200 miles to get home. When I took it to the dealer I found out the frame was damaged and other things so the insurance company totaled it. I'm over 70 and this is the only car that I ever really wanted. It was wonderful. I could park it anywhere-yes, I parked it perpendicular on city streets. The amount of room inside the car was amazing. I have a friend who is 6'3'' and he had more head room than in his full sized sedan. I renovate houses and have carried full size appliances in the back - with the hatch down there is an amazing amount of room. The only draw back is service. I no longer live near a dealership and there are things only a dealership can do such as a front end alignment. They're the only ones with a lift small enough. The other problem with service is the M in smart stands for Mercedes and their service is expensive. Twice on long distance trips I've gotten 50mph,but average 41 when it was new and 37 later - I stopped using premium gas. The car is 8 inches higher than a sedan and in my old age I found it much easier to get in and out of. The door opening is also very large for such a small car. I picked up a friend after day surgery and the nurses was amazed at how easy it was to put him in the car."

Sophisticated little car.

By on Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pros: "4 down towing behind motor home Super fun factor!"

Cons: "Cup holders are not in a very usable location."

"I am very impressed with this little car. Very refined and well designed. It is a small car so don't expect it to ride like a Cadillac or have a huge cargo area. But for what it is, it is very zippy and fun to drive. Handles well rain, snow or shine. Very roomy for the size, I am 6'2" and fit fine in the car, easy to get in and out of and park anywhere. The convertible top is smooth and flawless, plus just down right fun! Not a car for everyone, but those that want a great little, fun to drive, slightly quirky, but cool car, this is it! Really reminds me of the 70's VW except better built, more reliable and whole lot more fun. Simple sophistication sums up this car."

Under Rated

By on Monday, September 8, 2008

"I've put over 5000 mi on my Cabrolet Convertible. Wth the top and windows down the wind is not a factor even at75 mph +. I average 44 mpg and can't seem to get it down below 40 mpg and have topped at 51 mpg. Why it's rated at 33 city I'll never know. I ordered every option including heated leather seats and I'm glad I did. I own a new BMW I35 and it stays parked, I own a Honda Accord V-6 coupe and it stays parked. I own a Corvette and it stays parked. The Smart Cabriolet gets driven. The BMW is a cool car and is a lot of fun but the Smart is TMF (too much fun). Having too much fun may be hazardous to your life style so be careful if you decide you want to own one."

decent car

By on Saturday, December 3, 2011

Pros: "gas mileage and drivability"

Cons: "rough ride on bumpy roads"

"I have driven this car through iowa winters and it handles very well, the stability control and tracking help alot on slippery roads. great gas mileage averaged 40 mpg mixed city highway driving. however the ride is rough small car does not handle bumpy roads well."

Cute conversation piece

By on Friday, October 28, 2011

Pros: "Cute!, fits tall people, 40mpg, easy parking, safe"

Cons: "Catches wind, limited cargo capacity"

"I am 6'tall and this car even holds my 6'7" son! It is roomy and comfortable to drive in the city and on the highway unless it is very windy. Gets 40 mpg, easy to park, been very reliable and it is cute! It can hold a set of golf clubs, or couple suitcases or a load of groceries, but space is limited. The ignition key is located between the seats and my large dog has bumped it and turned it off on occasion. It is a fun vehicle but I have to use my old mini van for hauling gardening supplies or extra people."

WOW!

By on Thursday, December 10, 2009

"I love this car! What a hoot to drive and the attention it gets is unbelievable! I'm also blown away at how stable it is on the highway and the great mileage I get (38). I bought this for my wife to drive but she hasn't gotten to yet! Maybe I should drive it for another 6 months or so to make sure it's safe!!!"

Great vehicle!

By on Sunday, August 2, 2009

"Purchased my Smart in July 2008... Fell in love with this micro car during my time in Italy. I was fortunate to get an "orphan" 6 month prior to my "reserved" Smart arriving to the states. Great car to drive; lots of fun.. if you don't like attention; stay away. You will have people taking pictures of your Smart and asking questions about the vehicle wherever you go! I love my Smart!!"

Fun, Speedy, and CUTE!

By on Friday, September 19, 2008

"We LOVE this car... bought it 2 months ago and there is a 12-15 month waiting list still for it. We LOVE the convertible too! And, best part is that it is comfortable AND fits in ANY parking space, even motorcycle"

Can park almost anywhere & cutie

By on Tuesday, September 2, 2008

"I just bought this car 3 days ago and everyone is looking at me while I drive like I'm driving a Ferrari. Little kids point at my car. The car is very fun to drive and very easy to park. Don't expect too much power and going up the hills in San Francisco wasn't a problem. The transmission is slow in shifting, but you get use to it. If you use the paddle shift, it's feels normal. Most of the body exterior is plastic, but the frame is very strong. It's perfect for large Cities like San Francisco or New York where parking is hard to find and gas is expensive."

Most fun vehicle I've had.

By on Friday, May 9, 2014

Pros: "Size, easy conv top, fun factor"

Cons: "Shifting in early modes"

"I used to get bored with a car after a year. I'm going on 3rd year and don't even look at anything else. It's useful, inexpensive to own and operate, practical, reliable and useful. Everyone told me "it wouldn't do well in the harsh Nebraska winters. Wrong. No issues. I did opt to put in winter tires for added safety - Bridgestone blizaks which are inexpensive and made a big difference. Shifting on these early models were a bit query, however the newer ones have remedied that."

Fun Car

By on Monday, March 29, 2010

"This car is a blast to drive. When I go to the grocery store, someone always comes up and asks me about the car. I don't know if its more fun to drive or more fun to park and talk about. I'm afraid I'll cause an accident when I'm stopped at a light because I see all the other drivers looking at the car rather than watching what they are doing. When I stop for gas, I always depart before all the cars that were already fueling. Who needs a back seat anyway."

A corvette for a beer budget

By on Saturday, July 4, 2009

"Paddle shift transmission,plastic body,transparent roof,asymetric tires,two seats,high octane fuel,red interior,etc... A corvette spirit without the high costs... The naysayers of this car are stuck on the past...The Smart will be a full sized car in 2016..."

22k and still fun!

By on Wednesday, July 1, 2009

"After 14 months of daily driving, I still smile when I hop in my smart. I love the convertible top and enjoy driving in manual mode ~ it's like a go-kart we can take to work. We did have a few issues with the shifter, which took two visits to the dealer to repair, but I wouldn't consider that unexpected with a first year model. I do wish the wheel was adjustable, satellite radio was available, the seat back levers were on the outside of the seats instead of in between, and a better warranty was included in the purchase price (2 years?! really?!). The real problem is the attention it gets everywhere you go - answering questions from curious passers-by ("is that electric?") and getting "stalked" on the highway can get tedious. Overall, my smart cabrio was a good value and the mpg is great. Smart has met my expectations and I would recommend to a friend."

From Caddie to Smartie

By on Friday, January 30, 2009

"Have my Smartie since July 08 6k miles later still fun to drive. It is my commuting car. But in the summer with the top down it is a blast to drive. Aveage 42mpg.The looks and cell phone photos are getting old now. Wish I had tinted windows sometimes.It does make people smile,and give a thumbs up. This car is not for everyone. I have a sedan for trips and a pick-up also . I don't believe it could be your only vehical. But for summer fun or commuting you can't beat it."

Smart Delivers

By on Monday, November 10, 2008

"Excellent value,economy and safety. I was very skeptical of driving an 1800 lb vehicle on the interstate. Picked up the Smart and drove it 170 miles home. Feels safe and solid with plenty of power. Got 44 MPG on the trip. Ater 1400 Miles getting just under 40 MPG in mixed driving. Holds a weeks worth of groceries (for two) with ease. creature comforts, Power windows.locks and hatch release, alarm system. ABS brakes, Electronic stability control,climate control. Sunroof, am fm CD etc. $14,900. Park it anywhere."

Great micro car

By on Monday, June 16, 2008

"Great car and I love the transmission now that the car is broken in. Most of the driving I do is alone or with just my spouse, a small two seater is just the ticket for most of my transport needs. can haul two with a shopping cart full of groceries with no problem. The Only micro car available new here in the US at the moment. Way more fun to drive than I ever expected. Really love this car."

efficient physics with less waste of space

By on Thursday, June 21, 2012

"I was apphrehensive at first, but when I got used to driving this car, I really enjoyed it. I commute over 70 miles a day on S. California highways."

Does it all

By on Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pros: "price and fun"

Cons: "insistant and immediate seat belt warning"

"...safely, quickly, solid feel, and above all economically. Lowest cost to purchase and to operate. The ultimate around town car with no limitations for the highway except very long trips when a full size sedan might be more comforatable. Has all amenties and extras and great to drive."

Perfect for what it is. Have loved my Smart

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "price, fuel efficiency, cargo room, MP3"

Cons: "2 seater"

"My husband and I bought this car to get around town. We have actually taken a few trips in it and it is surprisingly roomy. It's been very reliable and has cost almost nothing to maintain. A great runabout! I would definitely recommend it."

Excellent for big cities - Great for business

By on Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"I own this vehicle and couldn't be happier. I live and work in Chicago and it is ideal for my meetings throughout the city and suburbs. It is great on gas mileage for my longer trips, it is great on gas for all the city driving I do (I spend about $75/month on gas) and parking could not be easier. I love everything about this car!"

Makes people smile.

By on Saturday, December 10, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, low price."

Cons: "Be prepared to floor it if you want speed."

"Fun to drive, good mileage but better for level areas than mountains, with glass roof it would be too hot in the low desert (Tucson, Phoenix),very roomy inside and a good car when used for its intended purpose. Certainly not a high performance car and slow shifts, lagging throttle response take time to get used to. Battery was defective and would not start car with under 800 miles on it; had to be hauled to dealer 325 miles away for replacement so cost us almost 1,000 vehicle miles to drive our other car to pick up when repaired. Best if you live near dealer. There are better high mileage cars out there but this is handy around town in tight spots."

great milage

By on Monday, January 24, 2011

"I have 28K miles and have averaged 40.1 over them."

Like It More Than My Enclave

By on Friday, August 20, 2010

"I purchased the Smart Passion as a second car (to save miles on my Buick Enclave) and have completely fallen in love with it! I commute on I-95 everyday and have no issues with speed. It rides great, gas mileage is amazing, and the fun factor is off the charts. The sound system is nice, the leather seats are comfortable, and you pretty much have a 360 view of the road (no blind spots). No mechanical issues at all. Be prepared for people to stare. As long as Smarts are made, I will own one!"

Like a Go Cart

By on Friday, April 2, 2010

"Its like a go cart with a lot more refinement. I drive it mostly for short trips of less than 25 miles, however it will go anywhere and keeps up with traffic. If you get bored with the automatic the shifter gives two options that make this car come alive. Shift by paddles or on the floor really make it rock. Stock exhaust note is just right. There is a sport car hidden inside of the Smarts soul."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching smart fortwo near Honolulu. See local deals