2009 smart fortwo

8.4

Based on 218 Ratings for the 2008 - 2015 models.

Fun car like no other

By on Tuesday, November 2, 2010

"Fun well designed car. Great to look at. Very comfortable (I'm 6ft4). Excellent customer care, with lots of warranty repairs, recalls, bulletins in the beginning, most reliable after that. Count on 40mpg on PREMIUM gas, always. Very safe on the freeway. Got it up to 90 mph, when the rev limiter kicked in. Excellent to drive in bad weather. More fun to drive hard! Cheap interior. Lousy speakers. Atrocious transmission, stalls and heaves when shifting. Jiggly ride. But so fun to drive and own. Depreciates fast! Get a low mileage good used one, or negotiate! DO NOT EVER pay MSRP on a smart! I did and found myself 2 grand upside down on my loan when I traded it in."

Good -by to the only car I've ever wanted

By on Sunday, September 11, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive, MPG, parking, interior room, safe,"

Cons: "M is for Mercedes and their service is expensive"

"I bought my 08 new and totaled it 2 weeks ago. I was driving on an interstate in a rain storm in the left lane. I was cut off by a large SUV or truck. When I went left to avoid it I hit flooding and hydroplaned to the right. Coming out of my first 360 in the right lane I and a truck collided on my left side. I then hit the guardrail on the right and continued my second 360 coming to rest in the shoulder facing the correct direction. The only physical problem I had was my right foot was sore the next day. The people in the truck got out to check on me and then checked their truck. They could find NO damage to their truck. Yet we hit with enough force to pop my hood. But most of my car is plastic. Every panel on my car had been nicked and my rear bumper was dangling. The hood is attached with a strap and I was able to put it back on. Not so the bumper, we pulled it off. I drove almost 200 miles to get home. When I took it to the dealer I found out the frame was damaged and other things so the insurance company totaled it. I'm over 70 and this is the only car that I ever really wanted. It was wonderful. I could park it anywhere-yes, I parked it perpendicular on city streets. The amount of room inside the car was amazing. I have a friend who is 6'3'' and he had more head room than in his full sized sedan. I renovate houses and have carried full size appliances in the back - with the hatch down there is an amazing amount of room. The only draw back is service. I no longer live near a dealership and there are things only a dealership can do such as a front end alignment. They're the only ones with a lift small enough. The other problem with service is the M in smart stands for Mercedes and their service is expensive. Twice on long distance trips I've gotten 50mph,but average 41 when it was new and 37 later - I stopped using premium gas. The car is 8 inches higher than a sedan and in my old age I found it much easier to get in and out of. The door opening is also very large for such a small car. I picked up a friend after day surgery and the nurses was amazed at how easy it was to put him in the car."

Sophisticated little car.

By on Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pros: "4 down towing behind motor home Super fun factor!"

Cons: "Cup holders are not in a very usable location."

"I am very impressed with this little car. Very refined and well designed. It is a small car so don't expect it to ride like a Cadillac or have a huge cargo area. But for what it is, it is very zippy and fun to drive. Handles well rain, snow or shine. Very roomy for the size, I am 6'2" and fit fine in the car, easy to get in and out of and park anywhere. The convertible top is smooth and flawless, plus just down right fun! Not a car for everyone, but those that want a great little, fun to drive, slightly quirky, but cool car, this is it! Really reminds me of the 70's VW except better built, more reliable and whole lot more fun. Simple sophistication sums up this car."

Under Rated

By on Monday, September 8, 2008

"I've put over 5000 mi on my Cabrolet Convertible. Wth the top and windows down the wind is not a factor even at75 mph +. I average 44 mpg and can't seem to get it down below 40 mpg and have topped at 51 mpg. Why it's rated at 33 city I'll never know. I ordered every option including heated leather seats and I'm glad I did. I own a new BMW I35 and it stays parked, I own a Honda Accord V-6 coupe and it stays parked. I own a Corvette and it stays parked. The Smart Cabriolet gets driven. The BMW is a cool car and is a lot of fun but the Smart is TMF (too much fun). Having too much fun may be hazardous to your life style so be careful if you decide you want to own one."

decent car

By on Saturday, December 3, 2011

Pros: "gas mileage and drivability"

Cons: "rough ride on bumpy roads"

"I have driven this car through iowa winters and it handles very well, the stability control and tracking help alot on slippery roads. great gas mileage averaged 40 mpg mixed city highway driving. however the ride is rough small car does not handle bumpy roads well."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching smart fortwo near Honolulu. See local deals