2011 Scion tC

Based on 87 Ratings for the 2011 - 2016 models.

Great blend of fun and practicality

By on Sunday, October 25, 2015

Pros: "Great price, unique sporty look, roomy and fun"

Cons: "Interior could be more luxurious"

"Let's keep things in perspective, this is a very well priced sports coupe that looks amazing and delivers enough driving fun. The back seat leg room is outstanding and the lift back hatch door not only looks cool but makes the car very capable of carrying large items. The aceleration and power are good enough for most average drivers who are just looking for a little extra driving fun. The TC is definitely more fun and capable than a base Civic or Corolla which would cost you about the same. I have seem 0-60 test videos where the TC has destroyed the FRS so it is definitely fast in a straight line thanks to high engine torque. Driving dynamics are not bad but they can be improved with better tires and a TRD front strut brace. I have to admit one thing Toyota has to improve is the TC's interior quality but given the other extras such as panoramic sun roof and 18 inch alloy wheels I can understand why they went cheap on the interior materials. Nevertheless it does not look terrible inside it just could be a little more luxurious. All in all I believe the TC to be good value, enough driving fun and most importantly very practical."

Price point champion- Get more for less

By on Sunday, March 22, 2015

Pros: "$$$ v Performance, Fun Handling, Smile Factor, MPG"

Cons: "Head Room, Front View,"

"Review- Plenty of usable power, you really don't need more on the street. Handling is so fun. I drove an FRS and could have bought one. The tC was just more fun. I've read complaints that the car pushes and wondered if the reviewer drove FWDs much. Yes it pushes like most do. This characteristic exists from full throttle down to no throttle and reverses with brake application. It LOVES to trail brake and is SO much fun in that regard. You can quite deftly steer with the brakes into a corner and up to the apex and then steer out with the throttle. Wickedly balanced from my vantage. Doesn't get unsettled at high speed over bumps and the stock brakes hold up well considering they are stock brakes. When pushed really hard you can feel the complaint portion of the suspension and body which isn't unexpected. Body roll is predictable smooth. Weight transfers well. For the average driver you will be more than happy with the handling. If your a performance enthusiast you find a little more street than track day when the g's get into the .8 area. However, that is what makes this car so fun. Feeling the body roll, the weight loading on the outside front, the rear becoming light and slightly / compliantly stepping out, feeling it settle as you release the brake and transfer reward with throttle making the nose drift as the traction light blinks at you indicating maybe your being a little too brave. Needing to "catch" the whip of suspension unload in a tight cambered chicane with a quick lift of the throttle and snap of the steering wheel. SO MUCH FUN. The transmission performs well however wouldn't recommend the hammering the AT trans from the line. As with many 6 speed 1st is just a get you going gear so the differential to 2nd is quite steep. Under full throttle there is some slippage. For most drivers this won't be an issue or noticed. The down shift feature works great for what it is. Between 3k and 4.5k RPM it is very smooth. On either side of that it can be less smooth and for the reason already mentioned I don't ever use manual to down shift into 1st while moving. I do drive almost exclusively in manual mode though. Still if speed isn't your thing, then you will find the ride firm but not rough, cabin little noisy but not intrusive, the engine and trans smooth and functional for your everyday needs. Controls are reasonably placed and easy to navigate without looking at them. Seats are firm and supportive however I'd prefer a little more lateral support. Really I need a 4 point, not the cars fault. The radio has MP3 which is all I really cared about and is one of the better stock systems I've heard. If bass is your thing then it will suffice but you might want to add a sub as the stocker can only do so much. I think the doors are 8". However it is PERFECTLY balance so if you listen to a lot of different types of music and are not trying to break SPL records it performs quite well. The only thing I may do is add some stiffer sway bars and better shock / struts. I don't think this car needs a full coil overs, strut braces, or any of that other stuff. It's left a more than a couple shattered ego's behind where the road isn't straight as it sits now. If you are a drag racer, yeah um, so stay off my streets, keep it on the track and you don't want this car. For the cost of a turbo you can just buy a car with more power. If you are a weekend warrior (track days, cone racing etc..) it needs very little to be very good and is already a blast as it is. If your looking for a good looking reliable car for a great price then it will definitely fill that void if you don't mind the lack of leather seats and a plastic interior. =-) RE Cons: You can not fault a car for is plastic interior or lack of leather seats when that is neither within the market or price point. Simply put you can not get ANY new car with leather seats at this price point and 99% of all car's have plastic interiors now. Take car "FF" starting PP at $18K (2014 price). Once you add options to get a comparable sound system, 17" Wheel (best you can do) the price is becomes $24,680. For that price you get 160 hp. For about 21k with Scion you get 179 hp, MUCH better handling, better looks (IMO),18" wheels, a great sound system, and quality. Cons- I am a tad under 6" and tend to sit up straight when driving. My head almost touches the roof and when I am at a stoplight I have to duck down to see the light. I knew this when I bought it so not really a con I guess, but none the less something to keep in mind if you are thinking of purchasing and is something Scion could have engineered for without altering there objective."

Good performance, good looks

By on Friday, April 11, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, steering, acceleration, reliable"

Cons: "Terrible paint quality"

"I purchased my 2014 tC in black back in August. This car is very fun to drive aggressively, or just taking it on a cruise. I had this car for about 8 months now and enjoy driving it everyday. The car is perfect on power for the average person and both transmissions offer great performance. The pioneer system is much better than other companies offer. The interior is very spacious, even for people sitting in the back seat. Nobody can believe how much leg room there is in the back even with the front seats moved back. The seats are comfortable and supportive for longer drives, and they hold you in tight when turning around corners. The only problem I have with the car is the POOR paint quality. My car is black and there are about 5-10 white chips on the hood, and my front bumper's clear coat has about 50 holes in it.I know cars get marked up, but this is just unacceptable for a car that isn't even a year old. I will have to get it repainted when it starts to look worse and get a quality job to avoid this problem in the future."

Great young drivers car

By on Friday, May 20, 2016

Pros: "the stereo is unlike an car of its caliber"

Cons: "sun roof is not the best quality."

"The car is a great car for a young driver. Great in the city, car is very agile and quick of the start. The coupe hatchback is an unbelievable feature, makes it very easy to move and store things. Over all great car, highly recommend it for an young driver. Not the best MPG."

Love my tC

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "Amazing exterior, good power, great sound system"

Cons: "Cheapy plastic used for interior finishings."

"I have had this car for several months now and I am loving it. I don't understand why all the professional reviews list performance as one of its cons -saying it doesnt match the cars sporty looks. So if the car didn't look so good, it would have a better performance rating? C'mon now! This car has more horse power and is faster 0-60 than ANY other car in the price range. It's not a sports car but it is quick and gets decent gas mileage- I get about 27mpg with pretty aggresive acceleration. The exterior looks amazing in my opinion. The sound system is great- better than any other car I test drove and almost as good as the BOSE system I had in my old Mercedes E350. Even though it looks like a coupe it is a hatchback so you can fold forward the back seats for TONS of cargo room. The interior materials are cheap plastic, I wish Scion would have spent another 500-1000 bucks to have some soft touch materials."