2006 Scion tC Consumer Reviews

Excellent Value

By on Thursday, November 29, 2007

"The tC is a sharp little car, offering a compelling blend of standard equipment, style, performance and reliability. Even a 'base' (non-Spec model) tC provides a healthy complement of standard equipment, including power windows, locks, mirrors, a healthy 160W sound system and god's own sunroof overhead. Performance is strong for the class, with plenty of power available from fairly low RPMs and fairly short gearing in the manual model - a strong contrast to many of the 'peakier' engines in the segment (e.g.: Honda Civic), and provides great off-the line thrust and passing power. While the engine lacks the character of more high-revving engines, it's far better suited to real-world city driving. Unfortunately, the short gearing means you'll be turning right around 4K RPM at 85 MPH. A sixth gear for better fuel economy and somewhat more relaxed (though you'll never hear the engine above the tire and wind noise at anything over 75 MPH) highway driving would have been appreciated. Handling is good, but not great - the tC corners fairly sharply, but rolls more than I'd like. In exchange for this, you get a great ride, with well-controlled responses to uneven pavement, even mid-corner. Fit and finish are excellent both inside and out. Inside, matte silver plastics and the large spun-aluminum HVAC knob are set against a backdrop of soft-touch material on the dash and side panels (with an unusual texture that helps prevent light from reflecting off the rather long dash in the steeply raked windscreen) and a grippy (and durable) black fabric on the seating surfaces to create an upscale 'modern/technical' look. Wheel-mounted stereo controls are a nice touch, but the wheel rim is a bit thinner than I'd like, save for the palm swells at 10 and 2 o'clock. The only real downsides are the high door sill and low seating position, which combine to create a feeling of sitting in a bathtub. Externally, the tC combines a pastiche of other makes' ideas with good proportions to good effect. A Volvo S40 nose/front clip, BMW-ish headlights, taillights that look stolen from an A4 and even the BMW 'Hofmeister kink' in the C-pillar all make a showing, but they all blend well with the somewhat slab-sided body, short overhangs and slick-looking dark-chrome 17" wheels to create a car that you'll look forward to seeing in the garage. My ownership experience has been flawless, with the tC proving to be a dependable and fairly economical traveling companion. The interior is a quiet, comfortable place to while away miles, with great seats and the aforementioned comfortable and controlled ride making miles disappear in seemingly short order. Fuel economy is decent, with my example averaging around 25 mpg in city driving and 30-35 on the interstates over the 15 months I've owned it. In summary, the tC is a stellar value, offering 'a lot of car' for around $17K. Toyota reliability and resale value add a little extra to the equation, and the 'no-haggle' pricing at Scion dealers is a refreshing change from the usual back and forth at purchase time. Buyers interested in a stylish, sporty coupe would be remiss in not giving it a chance, though for pure sporting intent, the Civic Si may be a better (if somewhat more expensive) choice."

High Mileage tC, thoughts and opinions

By on Tuesday, November 8, 2011

2005 tC 185k

"I purchased this tC as a commuter car. It already had high mileage ~150k, but was priced well. When I first drove it I knew I would be doing some work to get it back to it's original condition. I started with tires which can expensive because of the size, but I found stepping up the side aspect of the tire to a 50 series lowered the tire cost considerably. I also replaced the struts and went through a full tuneup. The 2.4 2azfe is a great mechanics car, as it has a lot engineering to make servicing easier. Such as; The oil drain and filter located in a clear area and right next to each other making oil changes a breeze. A antifreeze block drain in an easily accessible area. A timing chain versus belt which will usually last the life of the vehicle. 4 wheel disc brakes with a separate system for the emergency brake. What this means to the average consumer is far lower repair costs than other vehicles in its class. Now for the things to be beware of. Although it is difficult sometimes to determine whether you will buying someones headache, be vigilant of some key things. Previous crashes, which may or may not be reported to car fax. Look for distortions in body panels, water leakage, rust, or paint color/sheen changes. The car I purchased had no mention of a crash, but I found key indicators that it had been in one. The owner fessed up only after I grilled them with facts. The next expensive mistake on this car is that the catalytic converter is integrated into the exhaust manifold making it a very expensive repair ~$600. This will be a concern mostly to California drivers. The biggest let down for me has been that I discovered that my vehicle is actively burning oil. I purchased the car from a graduating college student and should have known she was keeping up on oil changes like she should have. Toyota's are very sensitive to oil changes and once the piston rings wear prematurely there is no going back. I currently burning about 1 1/2 quart every 1000 miles. I tried to simply replace the valve stems but no luck, still burning oil. Removing the engine on the tC requires the sub frame to be dropped, so I'm just going to run till she dies. All and all this is still a good car and when properly taken care of, will last you years and years."

2005 tC 185k

Best car I ever owned

By on Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pros: "price, fun to drive, safety, low cost of ownership"

Cons: "road noise"

"After owning the Saturn, Jetta and Saab, I finally found the most reliable and maintenance free car I ever owned. For a little hatchback has surprisingly a lot of cargo room. Decent pickup for the low-power engine but you'd never know it. Seats are incredibly comfortable even the rear seats. All seats cradle you like a race car driver. All I ever I had to do between 65k miles and 126k miles was basic brake maintenance and oil changes. Some minor rattles you can feel the road at high speeds but that's what's expected from stiff suspension. Safety is amazing and airbags are quick and surprisingly soft. Easy to walk away from without a scratch when you need to...I'll miss you :)"

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo...

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted