2016 Scion FR-S Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $24,382 - $25,952.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Valid for ZIP code 96801 through 01/26/2017

10/7.7

Based on 36 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

Great, but seriously not for everyone!

By on Sunday, December 11, 2016

Reason: end of lease

Pros: "Chassis, handling, responsiveness"

Cons: "Road noise, no arm rest"

"I just turned in my lease for this car. I'm sad to see it go. If my situation was a little different I would buy a 2017 model, which happens to address some small annoyances I had with the car - road noise and some roughness on the road. This was not a car where the head of the company said "let's make the most profitable car we can" or, "let's design a car that will kill other cars." This car was designed out of the desire for something raw and pure. This car was built for a niche population. Luckily, the population of the niche wasn't so small that this car would be unprofitable. First, let's talk about the power. I think whether this car has enough power for you or not is all a matter of perspective. For me, I drive on mostly cramped Massachusetts roads where I find that the HP of an economy car is plenty. So the 200 hp of this car plus its low weight, is far more than I need. In fact, if there was a 150hp version with better gas mileage, I would've gotten that. But to enjoy this car, you really have to like driving. You have to enjoy feeling the road, you have to enjoy techniques like heel-toe downshifts, you have to enjoy turning, and you have to enjoy putting in the extra work to keep this car in its power band with its short gearing. And of course, you have to enjoy feeling connected with the car. If you enjoy doing all these little things, you'll love this car, because this car makes those things great. But if you're not into that, all the work it takes to enjoy this car can be really overwhelming. For a period of time during my lease I fell into a slump where I was lethargic and had low energy. Nothing in particular happened to me, I just got lazy. During that time, I absolutely hated this car. Everything was just overwhelming. I enjoyed driving my 2002 corolla more than this. But once I got out of that slump and had a lot of energy, this car became one of my greatest pleasures again. The reliability in 40k miles of driving was decent I'd say. I had to replace the battery, alternator, and all brake pads & rotors. Also, I drove this car through three winters with snow tires, and it performed really well. Definitely better than a FWD with all seasons, except for perhaps accelerating up a steep hill. I was quite often on the leftmost lane of the highway cruising between 40-55 mph during heavy snow and I still had quite a bit of traction. This is actually where the lower power of the car comes in handy, you want to use just enough power to get the tires rolling which is much easier to do in a lower hp car than a higher one. I think Toyota and Subaru did an excellent job for the money in accomplishing what they set out to do. They wanted a raw, responsive, balanced, stable, light-weight car, and that's essentially what we got. But like I said... not for everyone. If it's not for you, this car could be overwhelming with all its feed back or even boring with the relative lack of power if that's what you're into the most. But if it is for you, it's the best."

Own S2000 and FR-S. Both Are Wonderful Cars

By on Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Pros: "Handling, comfort, gas mileage, smooth shifter"

Cons: "Wish it had another 50 horsepower"

"FR-S is all about corners. The FR-S is a much more comfortable car than the S2000. Both handle excellently and both are cornering fools. Both are rock solid reliable. S2000 is faster, but FR-S handles better when pushed very hard in corners on a track. I have driven both cars on long distance road trips. The FR-S is infinitely more comfortable, but the S2000 shines when you need high altitude horsepower. Both get very good gas mileage, though the FR-S consistently got 32 on the interstate, with the S2000 getting around 28."

Drive one

By on Monday, March 11, 2013

Pros: "Great driver, quick, responsive, simple, fun, sexy"

Cons: "Blind spots, fog lights, price tag"

Moments before driving it off the showroom floor.

"If you read or watch reviews about this car, all the good things you hear about it are absolutely true. It's extremely nimble, hugs corners, and fantastically responsive. People always ask me, "Is it fast?" No. But, 'quick' would be more accurate, by any measure. Shifting is tight, solid. Steering is just as good. For drivers who understand driving, the FR-S is very much an extension of oneself-- a refreshing feeling, since most modern vehicles lack a real connection with the driver. Its shortcomings are few: Virtually no blind-spot visibility. The rear windows are narrow, and pillars, wide. Luckily the mirrors provide good range, and adjusted properly, my blind spots are confidently covered. Back seat is hardly practical. However, if you're looking to buy a sports car and actually plan on using the back seat, you should reconsider. Emergency situations only. A weighted shifter/shift knob would be nice. Finally, if you're conflicted about the difference between the FR-S and the BRZ, the FR-S has slightly tweaked suspension, which makes it a better performer at a lower cost. The BRZ has options available for luxury features and accessories, but base model is more expensive. I like it simple and straightforward. And the Scion FR-S delivers that better than anything else out there. If you've ever driven a Honda S2000, the feel is similar. For some strange reason, pictures and videos don't really seem to make this car look as stunning as it does in person."

Moments before driving it off the showroom floor.

Great car but not for everyone

By on Friday, August 26, 2016

Pros: "Great for someone who likes to drive fun cars"

Cons: "You won't win races, and hard to get in and out of"

"I love my 2015 FR-S. It has every feature I want (cruise control, traction control for rain, etc.) and handles like a dream. The stock Prius tires are a joke, but even on them it handles great. It is VERY responsive and the manual transmission is smooth. This is not a muscle car. It has horsepower issues and will not win races or drags without a lot of upgrades... unless you're on a winding road. It handles like a Lotus, and weighs only a little more (it's a 2700lb car!!) so its little boxer engine doesn't need much HP to throw the car around. It isn't friendly for mobility-challenged people (i.e. the elderly) but it's very comfortable once you're in. I can't fit in a Miata (6'0" male) but I fit in the FRS with room to spare. Don't get the automatic. The manual is fun. Also, the posted MPG is inaccurate. I consistently get 31mpg highway... on 93 octane. Overall, a great, fun car."

Awesome Car

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "speeding tickets (2 already)"

"I received one of the first; I have had trouble finding someone reliable to modify the car. One of the best parts about it is the fun to drive. Other then that I just wish it had a little more power and the TRD parts available via JDM were in the USA. But soon enough :)"