2012 Ram 1500 Regular Cab

Based on 316 Ratings for the 2011 - 2017 models.

Great Truck and best value for the price

By on Monday, March 13, 2017

Pros: "great looks, great value, good quality, powerful"

Cons: "Radio, rear springs should be progressive."

"this truck is the best vehicle I ever owned. And I owned a few. I compared Chevy, Ford and RAM- Chevy- the 5.3L engine was the deal breaker- too weak - even compared to the Ford 5.0 (I would never consider a turbo v6 in a truck). the second issue with chevy is- they cost way too much without justifying the higher price- not from design and not for quality. the Ford- well- it feels like you sit in a box and drive on a piece of wood. some might like it rough- I dont. And if you go away from the deeply discounted v6 lawnmower engines, you will find yourself in the price range of a chevy. The RAM- great design, smooth ride and the most powerful engine of all three. I pull a 35 7500# camper and I sometimes forget it back there, because by normal accelerating from a stop- you dont even feel it back there. The gas mileage- absolute great- 70mph I average 23mpg. the functionality and the quality is great and RAM is the best value for the price. Chevy and Ford are not bad either- but similar equipped- 4x4 and V8- way more expensive. The 4x4 also comes with 4wd auto, which just engages, when needed- very helpful on camp grounds with lots of gravel. But there are 2 things I had to learn to live with: The radio is not quiet, when on low. I learned its that way. other than that- great- good sound, Bluetooth works great, clear and good sound on phone calls. the rear springs are too soft, when a trailer is hooked up- I have the tow package and I would at least wish- RAM would give the truck at least progressive springs in the rear, when equipped with the tow package, to keep it from squatting. Other than that- 100%. I would recommend this truck without hesitation."

great truck with some engineering flaws

By on Sunday, May 25, 2014

Pros: "great to ride and drive"

Cons: "difficult to get in and use as a "truck""

"Great truck, drives and rides great, good fuel mileage for a truck. Same problem as most new trucks, sits entirely to high off the ground. Im a fairly tall guy (6'3") and have no trouble getting in and out… the problem is that the seat will be totally worn out before the truck has 40,000 miles on it from having to slide in and out! Newer trucks are so high from the ground older people can't even get in them easily and won't buy them due to that fact. I am also a contractor and the bed being so high is a huge issue for me. Its difficult to load/ unload and almost impossible to reach over the side to retrieve anything, then I end up having to drop the tailgate and crawl into the bed to get anything that is at the front of the bed. For this reason, I am selling my Ram and will replace it with an older body style that isn't so high off the ground. My previous F-350 Super Duty did not set as high as this 1500."

Love the truck, no problems except tires wear fast

By on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pros: "Powerful, fast, fun to drive, HighWay 20-22 mpg"

Cons: "Gas milage around town about 16-18 mpg"

"Great truck for the money. Ford and Chevy were much more though I love Ford trucks, just couldn't afford one. Road handling is excellent for a truck. Coil springs in rear give a great ride and have no problem towing up to 6000lbs trailer. Powerful with great acceleration. Great for winter driving in snow and ice. Off road good, wish I had a limited slip differential. Tire wear and gas millage are my only complaints so far. I get 16-18 mpg around town and I can get 20-22 mpg on the highway if I use the speed control and set it to 60mph. If you get a ram, be sure to get the Limited Slip Differential which I regret not getting. Miss it. Chrysler very slow with recall N08/NHTSA 13V-038 which reports the axle pinion nut may not have been secured with an adhesive patch, thus causing the rear axil to seize and cause a crash. Been waiting several months for the repair. Dealer say's, "it's coming". In the mean time, hope no one gets hurt or worse. Still love the truck, would recommend it, so far!!"

Handles/rides well. MPG's- poor local, good hwy.

By on Saturday, August 6, 2011

Pros: "Good highway mpg's, excellent interior storage."

Cons: "Poor local mpg's. Too many initial problems and recalls."

"I have owned 4 new trucks since 2001, 3 GM's and now this 2011 Ram SLT Bighorn. All have been V8, 4X4 extended cab models. The Ram has a smoother ride, a more comfortable and useful interior and handles better then those GM's. Performance-wise the Ram is not that much quicker and it gets worse mpgs and the 3 GM's I owned did not have cylinder deactivation (had an '01 w/4.8, '03 w/5.3 and '06 w/5.3 H.O.). I averaged 18.2 mpg w/all 3 GM's and 17.1 mpg with this Ram driving the same way (easy on the throttle), same roads and all 4 trucks have had similar rear gear ratio's. That might seem close but with gas pushing $4/gallon every little bit helps. The Ram has had 1 recall (rear axle) and 4 rapid responses in my 7 months of ownership. I had 1 recall (tailgate strap) in 10 years of driving the 3 GM's, so the GM's have been more reliable. I am hoping to see an end to the recalls and rapid responses and would also like to see local mpg's increase as the truck breaks in. I also notice that the 5.7's power wheelhouse is at too high an rpm, by the time the engine really starts to pull I am already at the speed limit. If I was at the track and launching at 2800 rpm this wouldn't be a concern but when I am merging onto a highway I want the power then and there, not when I am already at 65mph. As you can probably tell from the above text I am not a kid and am a function over form type of guy. I see a lot of reviews that talk about having a "Hemi" and how cool it is and rate the vehicle high for that reason alone. Not me, any truck must do all the things a truck is meant for and be reliable and that is what I based my ratings on."

Love my new truck

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "ecodiesel power & mpg, air suspension, rambox"

Cons: "cheap antenna, not enough xm presets"

"This is my first Truck and first diesel. It's a blast to drive, quicker than I expected with a weight of almost 6,000 lbs. Pulls our 22' travel trailer like it's not even there. We hae only had it for about a month, and so far we are getting about 22 mpg overall. 1 short trip pulling the trailer and we got 16 mpg towing. With the back-up camera, I can get hitched up with no assistance. 4 corner air suspension gives a really smooth ride too."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Ram 1500 Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals