2012 Nissan Xterra

Based on 482 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Best Vehicle of Choice

By on Saturday, June 26, 2010

"I bought a 2007 X, S new off the lot with no miles. For the most part i have enjoyed this suv, lets be real it has power, its sharp looking and even though i replaced the factory tires with toyo's almost a month after i bought it, it rides great the MPG went from 19 to 24 on the hiway after i changed tires and stayed with the 100% gas and no eth. i have pulled our 22ft ski b. with no prob. its has yet to fail me when i needed it . I have took it all over, it has enough room for all my gear and then a little more with the roof rack. I now have just over 80,000 and no major repairs not even brake pads. I like to keep it maint. My two year old has smeared and colored all over the seats, windows, plastics, arm rest, and they clean up easy, but a little hard to stay in after a long trip( stretch your legs every time u get the chance if u have to stay in the back seat) the city ride is not bad compared to other suv's with the same off road capabilities... its stiff for a reason try towing and breaking with a large trailer behind a jeep...good luck, the x has held up so far everything i put it through i have yet to find a reason to trade up yet, but a note to the readers if u CAN stay with 100% gas it makes a huge dif. in MPG and its makes the fuel sender work. Drive on Friends because u can in a x"

2013 Model S - 14,000 miles A/T

By on Friday, July 15, 2016

Pros: "Excellent V6 -transmission combo. Quiet interior."

Cons: "Sound system, brake feel, handling curves."

"I mostly use this vehicle for weekend and vacation travel, hence the low mileage. Really nice V6, smooth and powerful and works well with the 5 speed trans. Easily towed a 9ft loaded utility trailer. I get 17-18 mpg overall which meets the EPA sticker mileage. Good suspension on rough road. Surprisingly quiet interior for a truck. Only 1 minor non-service dealer visit."

Xterra # 2

By on Sunday, September 19, 2010

"Drove my 2004 110,000 miles without any problems. Purchased the 2008 and 93,000 miles later It's still the best vehicle that i have ever purchased."

Loved it - right up until I didnt.

By on Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Reason: Transmission Failure

Pros: "Body style, powerful, dependable motor"

Cons: "TRANSMISSION. Mileage, shape of rear hatch"

"I owned the X for 11 years, and it was largely trouble free. The O2 sensors had a way of working themselves loose, but if youre handy with a wrench and dont mind climbing under you can tighten them up yourself -- mine never experienced the fuel sender problem. For about 165,000 miles, other than basic maintenance the thing was trouble free. Until one day last summer, when I took it in for an oil change. Theres something in your coolant, the guy told me. Uh-oh. Turns out that something in my coolant was transmission fluid. The dreaded SMOD (strawberry milkshake of death -- Google it --its a thing) as I learned. Long story short - the motor was still strong, steering tight, exterior looked great, but the transmission was going to set me back anywhere from 2-4k to rebuild. Not worth it for an 11 year old vehicle. Turns out theres a design flaw that Nissan covered if it broke in under 80k miles - but most didnt fail until upwards of 125k. They didnt bother to tell any of their owners about this, or that if you bypass the part that runs through the radiator (or add an aftermarket cooler for around 200), this doesnt have to happen to you, too. Nope, they just kept mum and waited for us to find out the hard way. I think thats a terrible way to treat your customers, so while it seems like I should be grateful for 166k miles of largely trouble-free driving, I cant help but think Id have gotten 50 or 60k more of it (which, given my current habits, would have lasted another 5 years or so). So the thing went from an Ill just buy another one of these to ILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER NISSAN -- just that fast."

Solid SUV, fun to drive

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Sporty and agile, fun to drive"

Cons: "Arm rests would be nice"

"I bought this new in 2008. I just got back from a 6000 mile cross country drive. It handled dirt, ice, snow, slush and cruised comfortably across 17 states. A good off roader in its stock form. Its a bit small to sleep in comfortably for me. Heading east I got a high of 24 mpg thanks to a pretty constant tail wind. Usually get about 20 on the freeway. It now has about 45,000 miles and hasn't had any recalls or problems. The Vehicle Dynamic Control saved me a couple times. Once when I had to swerve around a parked truck on the freeway doing 60mph. Another time when I was hit on the rear passenger door doing about 50. The only thing my S model lacks is outdoor temp gauge and a compass built into the review mirror and a 6 CD changer. All things that could be added but my previous Ford SUVs had those features and I do like them. They are probably available on the SE and offroad model. I never thought I would keep her this long but I still like the body style, the power and handling. I've only done oil changes, tire rotations and had the coolant system flushed. Brakes are still good. This is my first Nissan or import for what its worth, it was built in Tennessee."

great truck

By on Monday, April 2, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive,great gas milage,and very versatle"

Cons: "wish i got higher tirm pkg,"

"i have owned nissans for last 12 years,the all have been great vehicles,this is my 2nd xterra,the first being a 2001,great on gas,no problems,plan on passing it down to my daughter once she starts driving.prob. will be another xterra too,but with a higher trim pkg,it is a great go anywhere truck and lots of room for all your gear you want to take."

Great Off Raod vehicle

By on Monday, January 2, 2012

"This vehicle does not get stuck ANYWHERE. It will pull Jeeps, Hummers and trucks out of the mud with ease."

capable 4x4 gas hog

By on Tuesday, December 7, 2010

"Purchased a used 2007 S model, 6 months ago. Put 15k miles on it in that time. This vehicle is a truck, not a car, so handles like a truck. I purchased this at a bargain price of $14500, compared to a brand new one, it was a steal. Great time to buy a 4x4 gas guzzler because everyone is buying subaru's and other small AWD cars. Handling: even for a truck, is poor. My Mechanic can't determine why, but it wonders on the road a lot. Just the nature of the X, be prepared for it. It can be tiring to drive on long trips. Quality: Nissan saved a lot of money by building the interior of this car out of cheap plastic components that break, crack, and scratch easily. Seat material is poor. Wear was very apparent when I purchased this used X. Engine is also noisy, and there is some moderate wind noise. I had a 04 X and it seemed to have better quality interior than this new design. Capability: This is where the X shines, very powerful V6, excellent 4x4 capability and tows a 3000 pound boat with ease. Nissan clearly put an emphasis on the capability rather than the interior quality. With all that power comes a price, and it's paid when you fill up. With gas at $3.20+ per gallon, a fill up will cost you $60. That will move you about 350 miles, if you're lucky. Don't buy this car for the mpg! Bottom line: for the 4 to 5 months of snowy driving in the northeast, the X is ideal. You're much safer in this SUV than you are in a small AWD car, and I won't put a price on my family's safety. This is an excellent vehicle. I will buy a new one when this one hits 150K miles."

Fun and Reliable

By on Monday, August 2, 2010

"I bought my 2006 in 2008 and haven't had a a single problem with it. After having it for 2 years, I can only think of a few minor things I would change about the truck and they are quite petty in my opinion. 1) the driver side a/c vent air flow is blocked by the steering wheel (or maybe my height is the problem). 2) The rear seats cant be folded down flat without adjusting the incline of the front seats. Going back and fourth between all 4 doors to put the seats down is inconvenient. Other than that, the truck is super comfy, rides great, does really well off road, and looks sporty while being a functional SUV. It hauls my great dane and german shepherd wonderfully as well. I get about 17 mpg and I drive A LOT and typically over the speed limit so 17mpg seems acceptable to me. It cleans up easily and I never worry about having a mechanical malfunction, even at 90K miles. Go get one!"

Great Truck

By on Friday, June 4, 2010

"This is a Great Truck and Great Value. It's a truck not a tall station wagon. I like the solid truck ride. I averaged 21.8 MPG on a 400 mile trip (90% highway). Great cargo room. Lots of storage space."