2009 Nissan Xterra

Based on 484 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

I fall in love every time I fill it up and wash it

By on Friday, October 7, 2011

Pros: "great for snow :) perfect for ALL baby gear."

Cons: "Gas isn't the best but ok."

"We bought this car when we got into snowboarding. We traded in our Frontier, non-4X4, for the Xterra, with 4X4. I loved my Frontier but with the constant trips we were making to the snow and the fact that my frontier didn't have a lot of leg room for our backseat passengers it caused us to head over to the nearest Nissan Dealership. When I first got into it I was in love. It seemed so big and perfect for what we needed it for. After our snow season ended, I wanted my frontier back, but I still liked my xterra I just wanted my "truck" back. We bought it in March of 2007 but in May of 2007 we decided to go on a road trip to AZ from CA. My grandma sat in the back seat and she hated it. She didn't like that she was sitting on the rear tires and that it was super bumpy. She also didn't like getting in and out from the backseat. I didn't fully understand till we drove back from AZ and I sat in the backseat. Boy was she right. The rear tire takes 1/2 the back door which creates a problem getting in for an "old" lady. Since you are pretty much sitting the rear tire it is a bit bumpy. Once snow season started again I was I was still happy. My husband and I just learned we can't have grandma sit in the back even if she says she doesn't mind. December of 2008 I got pregnant. Which made my husband and I very happy that we no longer had the "truck" because a truck is NOT practical for a child. With the stroller and all his riding toys and bed for grandmas the xterra was perfect. Getting the baby in and out of the xterra is a big deal only b/c again, the rear wheel takes 1/2 the door. Of course I have traveled far and long with my xterra. We bought it with 10,000 miles and I have put over 120,000 miles on it on my own. The only thing I have done is replaced the tires and the oil. I still haven't done the 100,000 mile service but I know it needs to get done if I'm going to get another 120,000 miles out of it. Even tho I want a new car I really want to see how long I can keep this car running ;)"

Very happy

By on Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"When looking for a 4X4 SUV, I came down to 2 vehicles, the Toyota 4 Runner & the Nissan X-Terra. The 2 vehicles, when looking at the spec sheets, are almost identical. The style is different, but a big difference in price! I saved over $5,000 by choosing the X-Terra. I am happy with my choice. I feel the fit & finish may be a bit better in the 4 Runner, but not $5,000 better. The X-Terra has lots of cool little features that the Toyota does not. The roof rack is actually really useful on the X-Terra, also the storage compartment under the rear cargo area is great for tow straps, jumper cables, & I even store a small 2 person tent & a few towels ( to throw on floor & seats when I get muddy ). I would & have recommended to friends."

Better than Advertised!!

By on Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"Yes, it's not the best on gas, but still better than others. I have a 2007 Off Road. I get 18.2mpg highway and City I get 17.1 mpg, even when on the farm putting it through the ringer I average 15.4 mpg. This vehicle is exactly as advertised, rugged, drives like a truck, takes a beating, haul your kids, dogs, mud covered bikes and cleans up ready for the highway or a nice day on the mountain. If you buy this vehicle expecting something other then a rugged SUV built to get you there, no matter what situation, than go buy something else. It's not luxury, nor is it advertised as such, so the reviews talking about quality and looking at an X5 or MDX, please, look at the what vehicle is made for and compare it to it's equals. This vehicle is the best vehicle I have owned, hands down, not a bad list: 2010 BMW 135i, 2009 C350, 2004 350ZR, 2007 Nissan Maxima, 2001 Toyota Echo, 1995 Ford F150. Looking to buying a replacement 2011 or 2012 in 10 months...:)"

Excellent True SUV

By on Monday, January 17, 2011

"I bought our 2009 X 4x4 new and I have nothing but complements for this vehicle. It is s true SUV, NOT a plushy mall crawler that was never designed for off road use. People who downplay it's ride and lack of features have obviously purchased the wrong vehicle. As far as gas mileage goes we are pleasantly surprised to get about 17 MPG in town and 23 MPG on the highway fully loaded with about 500 Lbs of travel gear. We do have the manual transmission which greatly improves gas mileage. We also work at avoiding jack rabbit starts. There is also a significant aftermarket following for this vehicle which we have tapped for a better rear bumper and improved skid plates. In summary if you want a true mud and dirt SUV that will tackle anything this is the truck for you. If you want something for a snow covered mall parking lot look elsewhere."

Best Vehicle I have ever owned!!

By on Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"These are really great vehicles. I come from a car background, literally owned most brands of cars at one point or another. I have had hot-rods, and built Jeeps, etc. This thing just does everything well, and ALWAYS works. It's great off-road stock (except stock tires are junk), really nice on-road, and handles and goes as well as lot's of supposed sporty cars out there. 255bhp, lots of torque and 20mpg on the highway!!! The only cons are soft rear suspension for towing or hauling lots of weight, and a bad accessory belt tensioner. This vehicle let me start my business which involves hauling up to 10 dogs at times. Ridiculous as it seemed, I actually did fit 10 dogs in it, lol. They have everything you need and nothing you don't. Buy one and be happy!!"

Great mid-sized SUV

By on Friday, July 2, 2010

"Great vehicle. Gas mileage is average--16 city, 22 hwy. Dependable, low maintenance and repairs so far."

Great SUV for the money

By on Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"Great vehicle! Nice ride on the pavement and a great ride off. I love my xterra and My only complaints would be the gas milage...took a year to get up to 15mpg in town, the seat material stains very easily, and switching from 2wd to 4wd. I have to stop and back up to get it back out of 4 wheel high. (started acting up after 6 months)"

Not the prettiest girl at the dance, but...

By on Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"Love my 07 Xterra X. Eats through snow, plenty of power, and just enough room for camping and roadtrips. I also like the simple, basic, no thrills interior. Xterra isn't built with luxury in mind. It is easy to keep clean which is a major plus when it comes to camping/roadtrips. Average around 18/19 mpg with normal everyday driving. I did get 22 mpg on a roadtrip to Montana last year. Biggest problem I had was with the seats up front. Not very comfortable on long trips. Even through I have the base model, it would have been nice to be able to plug my mp3 player directly into the stereo."

Best off-road I've owned

By on Wednesday, October 7, 2009

"I have shipped it to Greece(early 20060), and used it there for serious off-roading. It takes me to places where roads and goats are non-existent and brings me back safely, in style and securely. It does make heads turn and not only because the Xterra is not produced in Europe; in Greece, aside from mine(a 2005 SE model)I only met another one(2003 model) and it was like a long lost-relative reunion. On the highway, I take it up to 110 mi/hr(yes!)and it feels as if I'm doing only(!)85 mi/hr. Great for long hauls, or about town[not the Greek towns where streets/roads are suitable only for small(er)cars],with or without the family! Go get yourselves one!!!You won't be disappointed...on the contrary. Ans as for maintenance:I have 29,000 miles on it and only oil changes,air filter and some windshield wipers have been changed; and the windshield, broken by falling rocks on a mountain. P.S. My daughter owns a 2002 SE and she is just as happy with hers as I am with mine."

in love with my Xterra

By on Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"The only problem I have with my Xterra is the dealerships. (All Nissan Dealerships around my area are VERY RUDE) My Xterra is awsome! I have taken off road severaly times, never hit anything on the bottom! It has enough power to move the suv, and very comfy on road trips. every six months my family (myself, husband and two boys four and five years old) ride in this car easliy for 400 miles. The only thing with that is when my boys get bigger there is only little back seat room...We bought ours NEW!"

Good vehice

By on Monday, May 25, 2009

"I've had the vehicle for a year and have had no problems. The girlfriend does not like the very rough ride..It has almost made her car sick driving on our rough Illinois roads. Besides that there is alot of storage space. In the winter I used the 4 wheel drive several times and it was awesome. My has the factory rockford fosgate sound system that sound great...Great truck"

Wonderful

By on Sunday, April 5, 2009

"Best vehicle I've ever owned...would have another one and will once I drive this until it can't go anymore!"

Great Sportsman Trcuk

By on Thursday, March 19, 2009

"I love this car because it allows me to enjoy all my out door activities and then some. Great for fishing, camping, cycling, and any outdoor lifestyle. We bought it to pull our boat and it does so much more. Definitely recommend it to any person with and active lifestyle."

2006 Xterra 2WD

By on Monday, January 26, 2009

"I've had my Xterra for 2 years and no mechanical problems so far. Mileage is terrible 12 city/18 hwy. Ride is stiff, but handling is great. I have 3 kids and it's a great vehicle for all their surf boards and boogie boards. Easy clean surfaces. The paint seems to scratch easily and I'm not happy about the resale, but I plan to keep it until it dies and I only have 13,000 on it now."

Great

By on Monday, October 13, 2008

"This car is so good for people who like 2 camp and do things outdoor. Only down side is gas but what do u expect to get with a suv. this is what i get 15.5/23"

Awesome SUV...

By on Tuesday, July 8, 2008

"Have to say I love this car... I travel alot, and I regularly get 23-27 MPG and once I got 29.7MPG Don't know what kind of gas I got, but it was awesome."

Wow!!! Awesome vehicle!

By on Monday, March 31, 2008

"Well, I recently purchased my 2005 Xterra and can NOT say ANYTHING bad! Wow, truly a great vehicle!!! I will say that I have always owned Ford's simply because they were "cheaper" to purchase, and more in my budget. However, I stumbled upon my 2005 with 50,000 in SHOWROOM condition and fell in love. I am SO glad I went foreign with my purchase, they are built MUCH better in my opinion, i.e. Nissan's, Toyota's and Honda's, especially the 05+ Nissan SUV's and Trucks. This Xterra has everything needed, and in my opinion is the ONLY true SUV on the market. I would TOTALLY recommend it without a doubt!!!"

Fun truck

By on Friday, February 29, 2008

"Bought this '08 6 months ago. Very pleased with performance. Unlike most people I find the front seats very comfy. Not a lot of passenger leg space for my very tall husband. Stability in rain and snow (3 ft. this year so far) excellent. Not too many bells and whistles to worry about going bad. I believe a better value than my sis's Toyota 4-Runner. Great for camping and road tripping."

Ole Squeaky

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"2005 Xterra S Suspension is stiff and squeaks after a bit of ridge running, but Xterras hold their own 4-wheeling. I checked the VDC on an icey road, it works like a charm (took awhile to sort a skid out and turn it back on). If you are in a hurry, this truck is for you; but, it winds up loud. Gas mileage is poor (15 mpg hard driving) to good (19 mpg when light-footing it up to 63 mph). I can get 22+ running sustained 85mph on the highway (I can't figure why). Trust the warranty it is good."

By on Saturday, August 4, 2007

Great SUV

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"This SUV comes highly recommended and is my second Xterra I have owned. It will hold its value for future trade-in or when it't time to sell. The only drawback is the gas mileage, being an SUV has something to do with that."

awesome fun to drive

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "Great Price- great looks- fun to drive"

"Second xterra that I have owned! Love the size and the way it handles. Very dependable and just what I needed. Controls are basic but I did not want a BMW that is why I went back to my 4WD Xterra. If you want a dependable suv with good looks and all the power you need. I highly recommend !!"

Built solid

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pros: "Tough"

Cons: "Steering wheel controls and fuel mileage"

"Love this truck. Handles week, feels tight, excellent sound system, safe and reliable."

Handles like a champ in all terrains and weather.

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "Handles well in all weather conditions."

Cons: "Needs some work done at about 60k miles"

"This is our second Xterra, and we have been very happy with both of them. We take it over the mountain pass several times per year, and never hesitate to tackle the toughest weather conditions. It handles well off-road as well. The 4-wheel drive function works extremely well while driving. I would recommend the Xterra to anyone looking for a good SUV 4-wheel drive. It has plenty of room in back, and the seats also fold down. Only issue we have seen is that you have to have some work done at about 60k miles."

My favorite SUV of all I've owned

By on Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Pros: "Size, handling, feels very solid, looks"

Cons: "Only 18 mpg, key fob alarm too sensitive"

"Bought new in Dec 2009 and have put a lot of miles on it. Currently has 114,500 and I have yet to put brakes on it - which is unbelievable. Get regular maintenance done every 5,000 and I'm coming to the end of my second set of tires. Plan to get 200,000 on it before I trade it in for another one. I really like it."