2008 Nissan Xterra

Based on 483 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Excellent, tough, good looking and highly function

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "Tough, Dependable, unstoppable, Powerful."

Cons: "A little top heavy when cornering"

"Overall a great vehicle."

Love this SUV

By on Monday, November 18, 2013

Pros: "Great price, easy ride, decent gas mileage"

Cons: "None that come to mind"

"Love my Xterra - so much so that I let my brother drive it while I was away for a month. I came back and he had bought one of his very own!"

Best vehicle I have owned to date

By on Sunday, May 6, 2012

"Fun truck to drive. Needs styling update."

great suv

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

"great suv but i wish it got better gas mileage ..lol but really thats the only down fall .. get a 4x4 it nice ..."

looks good drives good and is awesome in deep snow

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "reliable, fun and just plain kool"

"I brought this xterra because its the koolest looking suv out there.i take it surf fishing in the loosest deep sand w/o any problems.My first year owning her was a monster snow year and it was fun going out when all the other suv s were stuck especially the all powerful jeep wrangler s i had so much fun pulling out of snow banks. ur going on beaches or off road get this vehicle."

Love this car

By on Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, handles great, can go anywhere"

Cons: "top heavy, port and stbd blind spots"

"I've had this car for 5 years, bought it new. I'm military, so I'm constantly driving across the country. I have driven it off-road, in the snow, and the desert. This vehicle has the best handling of any vehicle I have ever driven. The only negative thing I have to say about this vehicle is when it starts slipping (i.e. rain, snow, ice, mud, sand) it essentially throws it into neutral, which limits recovery."

Overall a great vehicle

By on Monday, March 12, 2012

Pros: "Powerful, fun, cargo area, off-road capabilities"

Cons: "Bad gas milage. Interior scratches easily"

"I love this car in every category except two: 1) Poor gas milage - I average about 15.5 MPGs (combined) 2) The interior seems to scratch easy on the plastic area's Everything else is a Pro: It's powerful, comfortable, capable, and great looking."

mixed emotions

By on Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pros: "Very powerful, smooth on highway, roomy"

Cons: "Horrible in snow, poor fuel mileage,cheaply made"

"Traded in my 96 4runner with 169k on it for this xterra s with 43k on it. Wow, what a mistake. Had the xterra less than six mths, and all the sudden we hear a loud pop from the motor and the motor is making a loud pitch when accelarated on. Turns out, the rocket scientist at Nissan decided to use PLASTIC internal motor parts. That was a $3500 repair(under warranty).6 MTHS AFTER THAT, the rear begins to grind while driving. The whole rear was shot and needed to be replaced. $5000 repair(under warranty). Thank god the service manager was awesome, took care of everything. ZERO out of pocket but my point is, what if i were out of factory warranty, it wouldnt have been worth it to fix. This was covered under powertrain due to it being under 50k on the truck. Truck is not abused, its my wife commuter(mostly highway).Rear hatch also doesnt stay open, never has. For the price, it is very cheaply made. Gas mileage is horrible. Could use some cup holders inside. Even with all the problems, its been reliable and dealer gave us a rental while it was out of comission.Truck also has alot of power. Very easy to merge onto highway traffic. Im not sure if i helped in your decision but i guess there is good and bad in every car but this seems excessive for a newer vehicle."

Excellent build quality, rugged, stylish

By on Monday, February 6, 2012

"If you are looking for a rugged vehicle that has off road ability without the off road ride on the highway then this is it."

The Mountain Goat

By on Friday, January 27, 2012

Pros: "Offroad capability, power, interior flexibility"

Cons: "Fuel economy, soft rear suspension"

"I spend more time off road than most SUV owners, and I've found the Xterra to be almost unstoppable. I have the Offroad model, and it's incredible. The factory upgrades on this model add valuable ability when in the really rough stuff. They are: Bilstien shocks, electronic-locking rear differential, and underbody skid plates, and hill descent control if you have the automatic transmission. My Xterra has the 6-sp manual, which has also been spectacular. On paved roads, the towing capacity of 5,000lbs seems conservative to me. I've towed a little over 4,000 several times, and the Xterra seems like it could do way more than an extra 1,000lbs. The engine is exceptionally strong for a V6-- power has never been an issue. One thing that has been a bit under my expectations has been the gas mileage. I have a small lift (3 in,) and mud terrain tires, and those things certainly work against efficiency. I get about 14 or 15 mpg, highway or surface streets. Before I made those changes, I was regularly hitting 20mpg, so make sure you work that into the cost of the upgrades if you're considering modifications. Well worth it, IMO, but not a low-impact change. The interior has been great. Really easy to clean, super versatile with the flat-folding front passenger seat, flat folding rear seat and sliding tie-down system in the trunk area. Another thing that has been below expectations is the stock rear spring setup. It's clearly set up for on-road comfort, rather than hauling capacity or stiffness. When I packed the thing with camping gear for two people and a 90lb dog, the rear suspension regularly rested on the rubber suspension stops. That made the vehicle's stability less than ideal on the highway and the trail. I found a pretty simple fix for that with an after-market leaf spring system available easily online for about $300. I installed it myself in one day, and I'm not a mechanic. It has completely fixed the issue and not negatively impacted the ride in any discernable way. Overall, I couldn't be happier with my Xterra. All of the sacrifices made to drive an extremely able off-road vehicle are totally worth it, and nothing currently available in the US is in the same class as far as every-day functionality, comfort, and capabilites. It's everything an SUV should be."

This SUV does everything well!

By on Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pros: "Great overall SUV"

Cons: "MPG"

"I bought the Xterra because I wanted an SUV that was good off-road as well as towing my camper and it does both great. I towed my camper in the mountains of NC and it had plenty of power and plenty of brakes. The only thing I wish I could change is MPG but I knew this before I bought so I am ok with that. It gets 18.6 hwy and 15 city. Overall I love it and glad I bought it!"

Above Average

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pros: "Good at what it was made for, true truck frame"

Cons: "scratchy interior"

"Only disappointment I had with this vehicle is the timing chain tensioners I had to replace out of warranty. Job cost $1K. Other than that I've been very impressed with the ride quality with well over 100K miles. No rattles or creaks whatsoever and I haven't babied this thing. I routinely take it hunting and use it offroad for work purposes. Solid vehicle."

Like this car

By on Friday, December 16, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable on trips, good power, handles well"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I bought this car used. I love the way it handles. Comfortable on a long trip and has enough power to handle traveling thru the mountains. I would be happier if it got better gas mileage, but I knew the facts on that before I bought it. Even without 4 wheel drive this car does great on dirt, muddy roads. Have never worried about getting stuck."

Great machine. Beyond reliable. 3rd Nissan.

By on Friday, December 16, 2011

"Great machine. Beyond reliable. 3rd Nissan."

BEST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED

By on Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, practical"

Cons: "rear seat space"

"I have a 2007 X-terra S with a manual transmission, 4x4 and power locks, etc. I LOVE this car. I have not had one mechanical issue - we have put new tires and one set of brakes on it. I was involved in a head-on collision and this car saved my life. The guy at the body shop asked "how's the driver?" when I went to get my stuff out of it. when I said I was the driver he couldn't believe I had walked away with just some bumps and bruises. I love the simple guages and buttons, everything is easy to find and reach - no need to look away from the road. The rear room in the rear is my only complaint. It's generally just me and 2 little ones, but adults are cramped. We're only getting rid of it because we are upgrading the the Armada. Looked at the Pathfinder, but it really wasn't any bigger. Take a look at the X-Terra - you won't be dissappointed."

It's a ninja on wheels.

By on Monday, December 5, 2011

Pros: "Best bang for the buck and fun to drive."

Cons: "I wish it came with samurai swords and a big dog."

"This ninja on wheels is one of the best SUV's I have ever owned. Bang for the buck! Got everything I need and enough power to back it up. No major issues. never broke down on the road. Handles great and plenty of room. This is my second one and probably not my last. I only speak for the SUV and not the places that services them. :) I love the Toyota 4 runner but I just can't see myself spending 6 to 8 thousand more for a toyota. They don't differ too much in size or power during this year so why not save a few bucks."

Overall very good vehicle that does what is says

By on Friday, October 28, 2011

Pros: "Utily"

"Rides great, fuel mileage is as advertised. Fantastic in snow on back roads or good roads. Radio is so-so, but a model S, so does not have the top line. Only problem I have had was with the AC early on, but that seems to be fixed."

I would buy this again

By on Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, powerful engine"

Cons: "Gas guzzler"

"Owned for 2 years and no problems. I like sitting up high to get a better view of the road; with the option to go off-road whenever I want. However, don't think about buying an Xterra if you are concerned about gas mileage."

Great SUV

By on Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pros: "Great value"

"After a year and a half I'm really happy with the xterra. New england snow storms were a breeze for this SUV. Bluetooth is great, and leather is a plus. I have the SE package. Great value and I shopped around. Smooth ride for a SUV."

By on Thursday, January 27, 2011

"I could not have survived the snow storms this winter without it. The truck is a workhorse, and allowed me to slalom around other cars that were stuck all over the road. It may not be luxurious, but it takes care of business. I'd recommend the Xterra to anyone looking for a reliable ride."

By on Saturday, November 6, 2010

"just upgraded from an 2008 base model to a 2010 off road model and love it!"

Xterra 08

By on Thursday, July 15, 2010

"Love mine but the driver's seat needs improvement....everything else is perfect. I tow a 1500 lb pop up camper all over Minnesota with mine, having a blast."

Great bang for the buck!

By on Sunday, April 11, 2010

"Pros-Great four wheel traction and clearance in deep snow and good ride off road. Strong engine note at full throttle with plenty of power for a heavy off road truck. Bilstein shocks have good road manners. Good interior room with quality materials and styling. Remember, this is a truck so it will ride like one but the performance off road is unmatched for the price. Could not get it stuck in the Oregon snow.:) I love it!!! Cons-Mine didn't come with an outside temp gauge standard.:( My 2004 model had one!"

Solid SUV

By on Friday, October 16, 2009

"I just purchased the 2009 Xterra S about 2 months ago and overall I am satisfied with this vehicle. The interior is solid, though made with plastic materials so it scratches easily. The overall driving feel of the truck is solid though the front seats become a little uncomfortable on long trips. The backseat has adequate space but can be cramped for bigger or taller people. Love the cargo area, perfect for my dirty sports equipment. The styling is great and the truck has a rugged yet appealing look to it. Roof racks and side railings make the SUV even more attractive. Overall, it is a great SUV for the price and is a Nissan so it should prove to be a pretty reliable ride."

By on Wednesday, September 2, 2009

"All around great vehicle. Dont waste your money on the non-4WD version if you are going to get an SUV. I am hooked on Nissan now because of this vehicle."