2008 Nissan Xterra

Based on 483 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Sunday, January 6, 2008

"THIS IS MY FIRST SUV, I HAVE ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE OF THE XTERRA! I MOVED FROM TEXAS TO FLORIDA BACK TO TEXAS; HAD GREAT GAS MILEAGE ( 20.5). I HAVE FOUR DOGS THAT LOVE TO TAKE A RIDE IN MY XTERRA, PLENTY OF ROOM; ALSO EASY TO CLEAN,WHEN THEY GET MUDY FEET WITH THE NO CARPET IN THE BACK CARGO AREA. I FEEL VERY SAFE DRIVING IN MY XTERRA, WOULDN'T GET A SMALLER CAR!"

Fun & easy vehicle to drive.

By on Wednesday, February 5, 2014

"Bought new. Love, love it. Has off road pkg. & I have gone off road many times. Never let me down. Love hill holder & hill decent control. Plenty of power & rides ok for short wheelbase vehicle. Not an economy car. Gas mileage 12 - 19. Fit & finish are excellent. Interior is plastic but very easy to maintain. Styling needs refreshing. Overall the best car I have ever owned."

Never Felt Safer!

By on Monday, April 2, 2012

Pros: "safe,comfortable,roomy,good on all terrains"

Cons: "city miles per gallon aren't awesome"

"I have driven MANY cars and I have never felt more safe in a car then when I drive my 2007 Xterra. I have never had any major issues with this this car. I can drive in the snow/rain/ice and never feel like the roads are too dangerous. The truck is stable in all conditions and I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for an SUV. It doesn't have the best gas mileage for city/suburban drivers..but if that is the only down fall on this truck(and i think it is) then it is absolutely worth buying!!!<3 this truck!"

very comfortable and fun to drive.

By on Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, dependable"

Cons: "should come standard with running boards"

"Been driving this car for 6 1/2 years and it's never broken down or given me any trouble what so ever. And it's still looks new and drives like it's new."

Some bad but mostly good

By on Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pros: "Power, standard equipment, offroad capability"

Cons: "Soft suspension, defective axle seals"

"The 2006 Xterra, with the Offroad Package, is a great value for the money. With skid plates, 32" tires, rear locker, Bilstien Shocks, and 6-speed manual transmission, the Xterra is far more rugged than other vehicles in its class. However, there are some downsides with the design that are worth mentioning. Even with the Bilstien Offroad shocks the suspension is too soft and prone to bottom out even with light loads or a full back seat. The seals on the rear axle are junk and it is not properly vented. My seals had to be replaced at 30k miles and the axle itself had to be replaced at 90k because water got in the differential. The struts for the rear hatch are weak, and will not function properly in cold weather. Lastly, there is only one recovery hook on the vehicle, the front driver side. These shortcomings can be fixed with simple and inexpensive aftermarket options, and save you lots of frustration and expensive vehicle repairs. I enjoyed everything else about the Xterra. There is plenty of power and performance, even at higher altitudes. It is comfortable to drive and capable offroad, once you address the issued outlined above. Largely, the Xterra walks that fine line between daily driver and offroad capable machine."

I fall in love every time I fill it up and wash it

By on Friday, October 7, 2011

Pros: "great for snow :) perfect for ALL baby gear."

Cons: "Gas isn't the best but ok."

"We bought this car when we got into snowboarding. We traded in our Frontier, non-4X4, for the Xterra, with 4X4. I loved my Frontier but with the constant trips we were making to the snow and the fact that my frontier didn't have a lot of leg room for our backseat passengers it caused us to head over to the nearest Nissan Dealership. When I first got into it I was in love. It seemed so big and perfect for what we needed it for. After our snow season ended, I wanted my frontier back, but I still liked my xterra I just wanted my "truck" back. We bought it in March of 2007 but in May of 2007 we decided to go on a road trip to AZ from CA. My grandma sat in the back seat and she hated it. She didn't like that she was sitting on the rear tires and that it was super bumpy. She also didn't like getting in and out from the backseat. I didn't fully understand till we drove back from AZ and I sat in the backseat. Boy was she right. The rear tire takes 1/2 the back door which creates a problem getting in for an "old" lady. Since you are pretty much sitting the rear tire it is a bit bumpy. Once snow season started again I was I was still happy. My husband and I just learned we can't have grandma sit in the back even if she says she doesn't mind. December of 2008 I got pregnant. Which made my husband and I very happy that we no longer had the "truck" because a truck is NOT practical for a child. With the stroller and all his riding toys and bed for grandmas the xterra was perfect. Getting the baby in and out of the xterra is a big deal only b/c again, the rear wheel takes 1/2 the door. Of course I have traveled far and long with my xterra. We bought it with 10,000 miles and I have put over 120,000 miles on it on my own. The only thing I have done is replaced the tires and the oil. I still haven't done the 100,000 mile service but I know it needs to get done if I'm going to get another 120,000 miles out of it. Even tho I want a new car I really want to see how long I can keep this car running ;)"

Very happy

By on Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"When looking for a 4X4 SUV, I came down to 2 vehicles, the Toyota 4 Runner & the Nissan X-Terra. The 2 vehicles, when looking at the spec sheets, are almost identical. The style is different, but a big difference in price! I saved over $5,000 by choosing the X-Terra. I am happy with my choice. I feel the fit & finish may be a bit better in the 4 Runner, but not $5,000 better. The X-Terra has lots of cool little features that the Toyota does not. The roof rack is actually really useful on the X-Terra, also the storage compartment under the rear cargo area is great for tow straps, jumper cables, & I even store a small 2 person tent & a few towels ( to throw on floor & seats when I get muddy ). I would & have recommended to friends."

Better than Advertised!!

By on Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"Yes, it's not the best on gas, but still better than others. I have a 2007 Off Road. I get 18.2mpg highway and City I get 17.1 mpg, even when on the farm putting it through the ringer I average 15.4 mpg. This vehicle is exactly as advertised, rugged, drives like a truck, takes a beating, haul your kids, dogs, mud covered bikes and cleans up ready for the highway or a nice day on the mountain. If you buy this vehicle expecting something other then a rugged SUV built to get you there, no matter what situation, than go buy something else. It's not luxury, nor is it advertised as such, so the reviews talking about quality and looking at an X5 or MDX, please, look at the what vehicle is made for and compare it to it's equals. This vehicle is the best vehicle I have owned, hands down, not a bad list: 2010 BMW 135i, 2009 C350, 2004 350ZR, 2007 Nissan Maxima, 2001 Toyota Echo, 1995 Ford F150. Looking to buying a replacement 2011 or 2012 in 10 months...:)"

Excellent True SUV

By on Monday, January 17, 2011

"I bought our 2009 X 4x4 new and I have nothing but complements for this vehicle. It is s true SUV, NOT a plushy mall crawler that was never designed for off road use. People who downplay it's ride and lack of features have obviously purchased the wrong vehicle. As far as gas mileage goes we are pleasantly surprised to get about 17 MPG in town and 23 MPG on the highway fully loaded with about 500 Lbs of travel gear. We do have the manual transmission which greatly improves gas mileage. We also work at avoiding jack rabbit starts. There is also a significant aftermarket following for this vehicle which we have tapped for a better rear bumper and improved skid plates. In summary if you want a true mud and dirt SUV that will tackle anything this is the truck for you. If you want something for a snow covered mall parking lot look elsewhere."

Best Vehicle I have ever owned!!

By on Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"These are really great vehicles. I come from a car background, literally owned most brands of cars at one point or another. I have had hot-rods, and built Jeeps, etc. This thing just does everything well, and ALWAYS works. It's great off-road stock (except stock tires are junk), really nice on-road, and handles and goes as well as lot's of supposed sporty cars out there. 255bhp, lots of torque and 20mpg on the highway!!! The only cons are soft rear suspension for towing or hauling lots of weight, and a bad accessory belt tensioner. This vehicle let me start my business which involves hauling up to 10 dogs at times. Ridiculous as it seemed, I actually did fit 10 dogs in it, lol. They have everything you need and nothing you don't. Buy one and be happy!!"