2004 Nissan Xterra

Based on 585 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

I'm 60 - my FAVORITE car ever!

By on Friday, September 21, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, huge cargo area, will go in any weather."

Cons: "Not so great on gas mileage."

"This is the most versitile car I've ever owned. It will go up my 45 degree incline driveway in snow. It has such a huge cargo space - both wide and tall - that it will haul just about anything I have ever tried to put in it. I have moved myself once (7 rooms worth) and my parents twice(5 rooms worth). Only had to pay someone else to move the large appliances and an oversized china cabinet. All other furniture could be moved with the Xterra - saved HUNDREDS of dollars in moving and delivery over the years. It's 13 years old and still a work horse. Not likely to get rid of it until it drops out from under me."

2002 XTERRA SE 4X4

By on Saturday, September 25, 2010

"I have had my "X" for almost 7 years now and very happy with it! I love the styling of the older models more than the newer boxier types. Everything holds together really well and takes the bumbs and grinds. Performance is good for the size of the engine they put in the unit. Works for pulling U-haul or small car and can hold its own towing while going up mountain roads, dip in fuel economy is very noticable when doing this but your towing up a mountain. Otherwise towing on flat highway shows a very small decrease. Acceleration is pretty peppy for off the line goes and starting from the bottom of an on ramp going onto the highway (up hill in this case on a curve) I can hit 70-75 before I have to merge. Handles well at high speeds and evassive manuevers are above average. Stock offroading is reduced to small trails and or mudding. I put on 31.5" tires under the stock setup and don't have a lot of trouble, a little grinding on the fender in a "cranked all the way to the side" turn. Room is very extensive, back seats are good enough for a six foot person, a little cramping if in for a long ride with no stops. Driver and passenger seats are very comfortable and fit well, same problem on long drives but you can last longer in the front. Interior is very nice and accomadating and configures for your daily use, given the back seats can be laid flat. With just the basic changes in oil and a trany flush when it was recommended, over 7 years i have had one major and one minor problem with it. The major problem: had to replace the steering gearbox at about 60k miles it cost about 2k parts and labor. I understand a burr broke off inside the gear set and caused damage to the gears making it almost impossible to turn the wheel. However i understand this was a fluke and is not common at all. Minor issue was a airconditioner leak that took about 20-40 dollars to replace and its worked fine sense. AC is a little on the warmer side for my taste but it could be low on coolant or a recharge could be in order. Also, upgrades for offroading ability are a bit expensive and limited but the options are there. For 7 years old it has been really fun on road, off road and everywhere inbetween. It is small enough to be easily drivable, parkable and trailable while maintaining good space on the inside. FUN FUN FOR MORE YEARS TO COME!!"

Ol' Faithful

By on Saturday, October 8, 2016

Pros: "15 years down, 15 more to go"

Cons: "gas millage is comparable to a truck"

"By far my favorite car ever - single owner bought new from dealership. I would buy this same year (maybe a different color) again if I had the chance. Like any car, you take care of it, it takes care of you. The 2001 was probably the best year for this vehicle. First generation - doesnt have any useless features (except maybe the now outdated CD player). I have taken care of this car - replaced exhaust when it got too old and noisy, replaced radiator when it got a crack. These simple replacements will help my car last another 10 years. Biggest cosmetic issue with xterra - rear bumper rusts easily. There are moderately priced replacements for sale online and they are simple to replace. There is a pretty big mod community also which means replacement parts are easy to come by."

I have never had a car that I loved as much.

By on Monday, January 16, 2017

Pros: "fun to drive - simple to operate- no gimmicks"

Cons: "not a lot of power up hills"

"I like so many things about this car. I love the fact that Nissan has managed to keep this style going forward. It doesn't feel or look like a 2002. It still has get up and go. In the 7 years I have owned i cost the cost of repairs has been minimal. On the down side, it doesn't zip up hills and does not get great gas mileage....but all and all it is a great piece of work."

Excellent SUV Design, Reliable, Snow driving +++

By on Thursday, July 14, 2016

Pros: "Excellent cold weather vehicle"

Cons: "fuel economy"

"2001 V6 SE driven from 1 to 125,000 miles, only unforeseen repairs: master cylinder (clutch) replacement, fuel pump was faulty. Drives like a champ and religiously maintained. The Body-on-Frame design and tons of mod space is highly sought after for off-roaders and upscaling the vehicle foir snow/terrain handling. I am keeping mine to the grave"

Amazing Truck!

By on Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pros: "Very Fun, Handles Great, Sturdy Parts."

Cons: "Gas Mileage"

"Bought About a Year and A Half ago for 7500, 1 Year Later I have not had to do anything besides maintenance, Oil Changes, Timing Belt(Did it myself) and it still runs Excellently. Love The Body the Handling and the Power. I dont know why people complain about the power on this thing, sure it isnt a Sports car and your not going to win any races but with Overdrive off and skill with a manual you can get some serious Power, At least I do... Anyway Love it Except that it is a very hungry SUV but I will feed it till it dies."

Very dependable, I would buy it again.

By on Friday, August 31, 2012

"I brought the car new in 2000, has over 200,000 miles. No major repairs ever needed. Heating & air, radio, windows still runs good.Great for a family. Do not care for the Stadium seating in the back seat. It makes it hard to back up. Do not like that you can not close the air vents if needed. I would buy it again. Good performance."

My second Nissan

By on Monday, July 2, 2012

Pros: "Cost less then toyotas"

Cons: "Need to improve on the mpg"

"My first I had for 15 years ,this one has 12 I just get tired of driving the same thing for so many years , it's a good investment . Next I hope to get a G35"

GREAT VEHICLE.

By on Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"have owned this veh for 8 years and still a great vehicle.Have not had to do any repairs on this vehicle except for the normal wear items. I would like to buy another one next year."

best vehicle i've ever owned

By on Thursday, January 21, 2010

"i bought this 4 years ago when it had 92k miles on it. it now has 170k and the only thing i have had to do to it was change the thermostat. i make several 1500 mile trips a year and i have no fear when i drive this on said trips. it's excellent in mud, snow especially with the upgraded tires i put on last year. milage is good, i get about 18-20 mpg but you have to keep the rpms down. the only thing i wish it had was a 5 speed auto and maybe a better interior. i plan on buying another when she finally goes."