2002 Nissan Xterra

Based on 589 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

Excellent SUV Design, Reliable, Snow driving +++

By on Thursday, July 14, 2016

Pros: "Excellent cold weather vehicle"

Cons: "fuel economy"

"2001 V6 SE driven from 1 to 125,000 miles, only unforeseen repairs: master cylinder (clutch) replacement, fuel pump was faulty. Drives like a champ and religiously maintained. The Body-on-Frame design and tons of mod space is highly sought after for off-roaders and upscaling the vehicle foir snow/terrain handling. I am keeping mine to the grave"

Amazing Truck!

By on Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pros: "Very Fun, Handles Great, Sturdy Parts."

Cons: "Gas Mileage"

"Bought About a Year and A Half ago for 7500, 1 Year Later I have not had to do anything besides maintenance, Oil Changes, Timing Belt(Did it myself) and it still runs Excellently. Love The Body the Handling and the Power. I dont know why people complain about the power on this thing, sure it isnt a Sports car and your not going to win any races but with Overdrive off and skill with a manual you can get some serious Power, At least I do... Anyway Love it Except that it is a very hungry SUV but I will feed it till it dies."

Best purchase ever made!

By on Saturday, October 19, 2013

Pros: "Great price, comfort, beautiful, safe"

Cons: "NONE"

"My SUV provides comfort and peace of mind. It is the best automobile I have ever owned and I have owned a handful of brand-new vehicles. It stands up to its name...time and time again! If well maintained this SUV is built to last forever. It still runs like the first day I drove it off the lot. I recommend the Xterra above all the rest in its class. So go ahead and test drive one...you won't be disappointed!"

I love this SUV

By on Monday, September 10, 2012

Pros: "Fun To drive, takes whatever I can throw at it"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I bought my 03 Nissian xterra just a few months ago I got a great deal on it... I love so many things about it and will likely trade up shortly, I am looking forward to having it this winter in the harsh sk canada winter... Its great for getting my kids where ever they need to go.. I lucked out and got the v6 supercharged engine always has the get up and go I need the only down fall I find is the gas mileage but I think that it is worth it to love what you drive!"

Very dependable, I would buy it again.

By on Friday, August 31, 2012

"I brought the car new in 2000, has over 200,000 miles. No major repairs ever needed. Heating & air, radio, windows still runs good.Great for a family. Do not care for the Stadium seating in the back seat. It makes it hard to back up. Do not like that you can not close the air vents if needed. I would buy it again. Good performance."

My second Nissan

By on Monday, July 2, 2012

Pros: "Cost less then toyotas"

Cons: "Need to improve on the mpg"

"My first I had for 15 years ,this one has 12 I just get tired of driving the same thing for so many years , it's a good investment . Next I hope to get a G35"

I love my extera

By on Monday, September 19, 2011

Pros: "I travel cross country lots and its very comfortable"

Cons: "gas mileage isnt so great"

"I have had my extera since 2002 and love it, it drives like a sports car and is very comfortable on long drives. The design of the interior is great with lots of options for all kinds of combinations of cargo and passengers, The only issue I have with the car is that it is horrible on gas. Get the mileage up on the car and its a perfect auto for most any use."

GREAT VEHICLE.

By on Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"have owned this veh for 8 years and still a great vehicle.Have not had to do any repairs on this vehicle except for the normal wear items. I would like to buy another one next year."

best vehicle i've ever owned

By on Thursday, January 21, 2010

"i bought this 4 years ago when it had 92k miles on it. it now has 170k and the only thing i have had to do to it was change the thermostat. i make several 1500 mile trips a year and i have no fear when i drive this on said trips. it's excellent in mud, snow especially with the upgraded tires i put on last year. milage is good, i get about 18-20 mpg but you have to keep the rpms down. the only thing i wish it had was a 5 speed auto and maybe a better interior. i plan on buying another when she finally goes."

By on Friday, November 14, 2008

"I've got a 2000 X. It has been great! Very reliable and performs well on road and off road. I looks like the newer Xs are going back to older style, which is a good thing (round headlights looked bad). The only minor problem is it definately rides more like a truck than a car, so if you are looking for an SUV that is 100% smooth, you may want to look elsewhere. Otherwise the Nissan Xterra is a great ride!"

Daily commuter and weekend warrior!

By on Friday, November 16, 2007

"I've owned my 03 SE since late 04 - it was a dealer demo with only 18K miles on it for $19K, and had the Rockford Fosgate sound package - The only addition I made was a cold air intake and that, by itself, made this beast as powerful as a Supercharged X - in the past 3 years I have put well over 125K miles and while I average 16-17MPG (gas is expensive) I fill er with 87 octane and it purrs just fine. I use this as my daily driver out in the field and have never had a problem (other than a flat tire, knock wood) - I change the oil at 7k miles (I'm cheap) but the mechanic says the oil still has life left when he pours it out. We use the X to tow our Jeep to camp, and have even come down Odessa Canyon in it once when we got lost - it did great for a 2wd. The Xterra is a great all around SUV, it corners well and stops extremely quickly (I have been rear ended 4 times, but the tow hitch has save me from any damage all but once!) - The AC is good for cooling the entire compartment and the Rockford audio system is AWESOME, though with it Nissan could have installed a larger Alternator as when the bass is pumpin the headlights dim a bit. Since it's a 2WD I dont expect it go go where my Jeep does but I'll tell you it has suprised me many times in the snow and on rocky inclines other SUV's would fail on while towing. our kids love it due to the stadium seating they can actually see out the windows in their car seats unlike our old Suburban... The V6 does consume gas, quickly, I estimate about 1$ worth ever 5 miles or so but the amount of gear I can fit inside and on the roof racks makes it worth it. In 2005 we used it to tour the Western US, about 3500 miles in 10 days and it ran like a champ - even at high altitude in the snow and rain... We love our X, if it got better Gas mileage it would be 100% perfect for us! (Hence the 4 stars in performance)... I do plan to get another X when this one quits but I figure that wont be for another 100-200k miles with proper maintenance..."

Rugged and basic - but it runs and runs...

By on Sunday, September 16, 2007

"I've had a 2000 XTerra for eight years. Strengths: In eight years, there has been no defects whatsoever if you exclude a broken taillight! It just runs and runs and runs...! There is an amazing amount of cargo space. (Also, for people that don't mind roughing it: a 6"1' person can lie straight and sleep in the back very comfortably.) The cargo box is a marketing ploy for sure but it actually works. I use it often for wet and dirty stuff. Weaknesses: It's not a race car! It's a truck and you need to drive it like a truck, i.e. nice and easy in the curves. Engine makes a lot of noise when you try to push it."

Best investment I ever made

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "Reliable and a beast in the snow."

Cons: "Nothing fancy, a bit noisy, rides like a truck"

"Purchased new in 2000, first year they came out. Other than a fuel pump and normal wear and tear items the Xterra has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Now, I have owned a Gremlin, Pacer, Eagle Premier, Renault Alliance GTA, Triumph TR-7, and a Renault LeCar, so say what you will about my taste in cars. PS: This Nissan has also been more reliable than my Honda Accord V-6 Coupe as well !"

Pthis car is the best car that I ever owned

By on Friday, October 21, 2011

Pros: "great price and a cool sporty look"

Cons: "none for me"

"I love my nisson.It never has needed repair except when I was rear ended.It drives as well today as the day I bought it.I have had other suv's but this has the smoothest ride and had gotten me safely around in the deepest snow storms in Pa."

long lasting

By on Wednesday, August 4, 2010

"We bought our 2001 new and it is still going strong 255,000 miles later. Some early problems with electric windows. The car is noisy, but very reliable. Only normal repairs and upkeep: brakes 4 sets; timing belts (2); tires 4 sets; u-joints. Still drives and runs well."

I love my ride

By on Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"My 2002 Xterra has 140,000 miles with only routine maintainance. The outer styling has changed very little over the years, so it still looks current. I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off, but I'd buy another in a heartbeat!"

Outstanding!!!

By on Friday, February 8, 2008

"265,000 miles and 7+ years. I drove it off the show room floor and only done normal needed repairs. Excellent truck and still going strong. I will get 300,000+ miles out of her...."

Best, most reliable vehicle we've ever owned

By on Saturday, July 5, 2014

Pros: "Good price, very reliable"

Cons: "not comfortable or powerful enough for long trips"

"This has been the vehicle we've owned the longest. We love it, it's our everyday vehicle, best on gas and maneuvering into tight spots. We own other model vehicles and still love the XTerra the best!!"

My Favorite Vehicle

By on Tuesday, October 15, 2013

"The xTerra is totally understated. The interior is simple, no frills - It offers what you NEED in a Sport Utility Vehicle. It's a SUV that drives like a car. I snowboard and ski a lot. I have plenty of room for my gear, inside or on top, as well as a few passengers and their gear. Has no problems climbing Mt. Baker, Stevens or the occasional snow storm in Seattle. In the 8 Years that I have owned this vehicle I have never had a problem with it! She's at 130,000 miles and still going strong. My next car will be an xTerra!"

Love It!

By on Friday, August 16, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great in snow, mud, and severe rain"

Cons: "gas mileage, rust"

"Over 200,000 miles in 11 years. I own two cars, the other one is an '09 with 96,000 miles. I drive a lot. Only downfall is gas mileage (similar to a Jeep). Great vehicle for hauling kids and hockey gear, camping equipment, and hundreds of books. Stock vehicle is extremely capable off-road. Not too difficult to modify for more advanced or rougher terrain/trails."

best vehicle i have ever owned

By on Sunday, April 1, 2012

Pros: "very fun to drive, and very good day to day driver"

Cons: "bulky and heavy. takes some getting used too."

"Best vehicle I have ever owned. I've previously owned a dodge status, and a Ford F150( in that order) and I can tell out of the two previously stated the xterra is a way better vehicle. Could have a bit more power, but that's all I can really find negative about THE X......coming up at just about 205,000 mi. On the O.G. motor and she is still purring like a lil kitty. Little to no power lost, no rough idling , and low cost for replacement parts makes this suv a sure winner."

Great off road/long trips. Low city mileage.

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "Such a fun car, begs to be taken on the trail."

Cons: "City mpg, power windows."

My baby.

"I love my Xterra to bits I wouldn't give her up for anything. However she is an '03 with slight sag on her headliner and mileage of only around 13-14 city. She used to get tons of off road experience and does great on mileage when traveling long distances, for a car of her age/size. Hwy approximately 19-20 mpg. She has never needed new parts or any repairs, has excellent handling (I love how I can feel the road through the steering wheel). Automatic transmission, smooth acceleration, comfortable ride. Rides great in snow/rain you name it she can take it. Totally recommend an Xterra, older ones are cheaper/more reliable. Newer models have lower mileage, and are much heavier etc. Give it love and it will give back."

My baby.

Great Car!

By on Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pros: "Great in snow, lots of room, reliable, smooth ride"

"Great car for winter! Very reliable car with lots of space! I moved almost my whole house in this vehicle! Great for vacations, road trips. Never had a problem with it. Drives smooth. Had this car for 12 years and only thing I have ever had to do to it is basic services (oil change, brakes, etc.) Recommend you get this car if you are looking for a great looking, reliable, affordable SUV."

Love My Xterra

By on Friday, November 4, 2011

Pros: "Suprisingly affordable for a durable SUV."

Cons: "None!"

"This vehicle does it all! I can haul anything from sheetrock to 5 people and all their snowboard gear!! It will go anywhere! I put BFGoodrich A/T's on and it is unstoppable. The Rockford Fosgate sound system that came stock sounds great...no upgrades needed. Long trips not a problem...seats are quite comfortable and the ride is nice! Would like a little more power and better gas mileage, but they corrected that on the newer models. I will always own an Xterra!!!"

love my xterra

By on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

"I am 6'5" tall and this is one of the best rides I have had. Lots of room for the long trips and comfortable."