1994 Nissan Sentra

Based on 140 Ratings for the 1992 - 1994 models.

Treat it right or not, it keeps going.

By on Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Pros: "Cheap, reliable, fun to drive, unkillable."

Cons: "Small cup holders, backseat lacking."

"I got this car when I was 15, back in 2005. I've been through 7 different vehicles since, and the Sentra has beaten all of them every step of the way. Back when I was a teenager, I drove like every teenager did: Awful. Speeding, tight turns, pedal to the floor, all of that. I was also insanely neglectful and unlucky. Here is a list of all the things that have happened to my Sentra: Oil change once a year (sometimes 2 years. Driving with handbrake until I could replace the actual brakes. Took a hill at 90mph with a 250lb passenger, went airborne, flew about 80 feet, crushed oil pan after bottoming out at the bottom of the hill. Lost oil pan plug 25 miles outside of town, drove to town anyway instead of calling a tow truck. Doing constant 180 degree turns on dirt roads. Backed in to by an old lady with a Cutlass who mixed the gas and brake pedals up. Let sit out in the sun for a year and a half while driving other vehicles. There are definitely more awful things I have done to my car, but you get the idea. I want you to fully understand that I am the person who kills cars, and this thing refuses to die. Besides usual things (Brakes, tires, oil), I've only ever replaced the CV joints and some brake lines. Total, I may have sunk $500.97 in actual repairs over a course of 8 years. Every time I have taken it to a mechanic, it checks out fine. The few parts I have replaced have been cheap. Fuel economy sits around 35+ on the Highway, which is good because I am broke. This is the car that you can put $5 in the tank and still go out around town. The air conditioner is the most powerful, coldest thing I have ever felt. No other car I have ever been in has had an A/C unit like this one. The car is essentially all windows, giving you amazing visibility all around. It's easier just to look to your side than it is to use your mirror, as you can see everything around you. Now, there are cons. Not many, but there are a few. The pullout cup holders were designed in the 90's, which means these things will only hold cans or small cups. Your 87 ounce sweet tea will have to go somewhere else. Think of it as this car trying to help you lose weight. The backseats are also designed more of a utility than a comfort. Do not expect to fit large people back there. Kindly offer them the front seat or something. Be tactful. Skinny people can ride in the back. The automatic shoulder seatbelts are a fun novelty, but they tend to go out. Fortunately they are covered under a lifetime warranty through Nissan, but they go out all the same. Lastly, the power can leave something to be desired. I used to be young, dumb, and stupid and would drive all over the place with the pedal flat. If you're looking to hot rod, you'll be disappointed. Every passenger added destroys the acceleration. Now that I'm just dumb and stupid though, power isn't an issue. This car will get you where you're going. You might not be the first there, but you're guaranteed to arrive. This car will never give you up or let you down. It is the Miyagi to your Daniel Larusso, the utility belt to your Batman, the Sancho Panza to your Don Quixote. It will follow you to the ends of the earth, and faithfully drive you back when you decide that the ends of the earth are boring and there's probably something good on TV right now. The '94 Sentra is such an amazing car that it is still being produced today in Mexico, under the name 'Tsuru'. Somewhat cheaper interior materials, but still being made. How can you ignore the savings? The efficiency? The legacy? I have been through a '65 Mustang, two '91 Geo Metro Convertibles, '04 PT Cruiser, '81 El Camino, '05 Mustang, and an '02 Elantra. And through all of these, the Sentra has always won and always kept running. I love this car, and always will. I will be buried in it so if I ever come back from the dead, I'm guaranteed to have a dependable car. Oh, and this particular model was manufactured in the US at Nissan's factory in Smyrna, TN. So you can rest easy knowing you're buying a product made in America, even if the badge is Japanese."

Great First Car!

By on Saturday, January 7, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, small"

Cons: "no middle console/extra storage"

"This is my first car and I've had it for over a year now. I wasn't very excited about the car when I got it but I have fallen in love with it. I haven't had any major problems with it and it's pretty easy to maintain the car. It drives great."

Great on gas and super reliable

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "good mpg, reliable"

Cons: "n/a"

"i've owned this car since 30k miles on it and i now have 182k miles on it. during that time parts i had to replace were: alternator 2x, starter, fuel pump, battery 2x. solid solid car.. Transmission is starting to stick in second a bit but getting a full tranny service on it for $100 should clear that up. Great mpg and with bigger rims and tires it shreds corners."

By on Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"I have owned this car for 10 years and it has never left me in a "pickle." I have friends who have been through 3 or 4 vehicles by now because of the problems their cars were causing them, but I have remained loyal to my Sentra and it has treated me great. A few issues here and there, but nothing that isn't expected from a 18 year old vehicle."

MPG

By on Thursday, April 16, 2009

"I bought this car for $1300 when diesel went over $5. It paid for itself in savings in six months. It has been a total turn key car and have no problems with it, except tires wear quickly (walmart specials). It had 114000 when I got it and now has 127000. With the five speed I have gotten 42mpg on the freeway and consistently get 32-38 around town. I really like the fact that this car is reliable and I have taken it on 1000 mile road trips with no problem. Although I'm 6'3" with a "young" back and this car can get really uncomfortable quickly. The money I save in fuel makes up for it. Its also really noisey. It would have been a perfect high school/college car. No problems!"

Great car

By on Friday, February 27, 2009

"I bought this car used and I have not regretted it at all...good gas milage. always starts , I have replaced the battery, and muffler...other than that I put a steering wheel cover on it, changed oil at 3000 miles. I now have over 185000 miles on it and it shows no signs whatsoever of any problems....I would buy this car again...if I knew how good this car was I would have bought one new in 1991...I plan on buying a new one , my son wants this one so when I give this one to him I will buy myself a new one."

great cheap car

By on Sunday, February 1, 2009

"i use to have a 1992 nissian Sentra XE PROS: 1 cant kill it 2 good gas milage 3 easy to modife 4.cheap to repair 5 handles good cons: 1rust probulms 2no power 1.6L 3no trunk room 4 verry nosie rode 5 poor ride quality"

My second car, SE-R

By on Sunday, October 11, 2015

"First off this car is fast enough to take on just about anything on the road, 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. I recently got a AEM ram air intake.and a few other things, it does 0-60 in under 7 seconds now! All for less than $200. Stock is really quiet which was bad for me because I need to hear the car to shift best. The car has good looks for an late 80s design. Great stance even with stock suspension. The SR20DE engine in my car, and the SE-R is bulletproof, they say it can handle 500 HP of boost off stock internals you just have the transmission deburred, cryogenically treated, and two-step shot peened, and it should be good for just about anything you throw at it. I have seen these cars with over one million miles on them, and that was the weaker GA16DE! I get 29 MPG (not average, MPG is the same for both city and interstate). The car is a blast to drive, quick, and the handling is as good if not better than most modern cars. I have owned the car for three and a half years and spent $1900 in fixes on it, I bought the car for $1400 with 140000 miles on it in May of 2012. The seats are excellent, really comfortable, and really hold you snug going around corners. The stock wheels are nice looking, and only one of them leaks a little air after 23 years. Though it is not big by any means and probably not that safe (no air bags or anti-lock brakes), this car is good for families on a budget. The front seats fold, and slide forward on the passenger side, and easily slide forward on the drivers side(if you do not mind adjusting your seat, I let everyone in on the passenger side), so it is easy for loading up babies, and kids. Also there might not be much foot space in the back seat, but the genius engineers at Nissan raised the front seats up high enough to at least fit a size 14 mens foot under comfortably. Though my car is rusty, I know it will last for very many more years, until the frame breaks from rust, then or maybe even before then I am going to get a donor car to swap my engine and transmission into. If you plan on owning one, remember to red-line it once a month (to keep everything clean). The only things i do not like about the car, besides bad paint and rust, is with the A/C on it is as slow as a Honda Civic, I have seen dynos, the car makes stock numbers of 120 WHP and 119 WFT-LBS, and with the A/C on it makes 102 WHP and 112 WFT-LBS. Good thing the A/C does not work anyway in my car, also cruise control is broken, and it has bad 5th gear pop out (costs around $500 to fix) or you can just go with my solution, which is holding it in 5th gear up any incline."

Loved this car

By on Friday, August 21, 2015

Pros: "great little car to get you around"

"I was always a Chevy person until I bought this car for 900 dollars 8 years ago. The car was a tank overall Was very reliable and only costed me for expected wear and tear repairs. Spent maybe another 900-1000 in the 8 years I had it in various repairs, such as tires battery, new exhaust, brakes. I ran it into the ground though as I needed a couple new fuel injectors but didnt have the money to replace at the time. This slowly lead to other issues. I finally had the trans axle break and decided to get rid of it. The option is to fix it or spend that money on another new used car. Hoping I can find another used Nissan as good as this one was!"

very reliable car

By on Thursday, September 18, 2014

Pros: "economy, easy to drive"

Cons: "some electrical charging problems"

"bought it last year 93,000. i hope they start making cars like these again"

Good car, malicious mechanics

By on Sunday, January 1, 2012

Pros: "good but old now"

Cons: "old and no mechanics who want to repair them well"

"I bought this old car, I know is old, but I feel that with a good mechanic, it can last for good. I believe that this is a good car, but needs maintenance and care, with good mechanics and not the usual ones that want to fool a woman, this would be a nice, affordable and lasting car, despite its age."

By on Thursday, September 6, 2007

Best vehicle ever

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"I never had any problem with my Sentra. For 10 years I changed only 1 lamp (in salon), starter and generator. Nothing more!!! Great car, great value."

I love this car!

By on Monday, June 3, 2013

Pros: "Very comfortable, great visibility, dependable"

Cons: "That would be it - no cup holders"

"I bought this new and absolutely love this car. It has been very dependable, only has 98K miles on it, and mechanics are always asking me to sell them the car."

By on Sunday, February 24, 2008

By on Friday, July 6, 2007

By on Friday, January 14, 2011

junk

By on Friday, August 31, 2007

"i have had this car for about 5 years know and i tell you if it isn't one thing its another. the ac stoped working at 80000 miles the electric seatbelt almost killed me i had to replace almost every part in the front end. also it takes way to long to pick up speed the main reason i got this car was for the gas milage which isin't even good im only getting about 19mpg and thats with a recent tune up i would not recomend this car to my worst enemy."

My first car which was one of my best choices

By on Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pros: "dependable, strong motor and transmission"

Cons: "no middle storage dept, no space inside"

"this car was my first car i bought it for $1000 and i've had the car for a year now. i've kept good care of this car with regular maintenance and checkups. Luckily my grandfather is a mechanic becuase i've hardly had to put any money into my car. I've gotten my $1000's worth. i am looking to get a new csr and i will keep my Sentra and maybe give it to my little brother. The only thing i can say i dont like is that the inside is small and there's no kind of middle storage department like other cars."

GETS ME AROUND TOWN

By on Wednesday, April 27, 2011

"THIS VEHICLE HAS RETAINED IT'S VALUE IN THE 4 YRS. I HAVE HAD IT. BUT AS FAR AS PICKUP AND MILEAGE...I FEEL LIKE BARNEY RUBBLE DRIVING A DINOSAUR ,GAS MILEAGE HAS BEEN POOR..AND IF I AM GOING UP IN ELEVATION...I NEED TO GET MY FEET TO THE GROUND & RUN 'EM ! ALL THAT ASIDE, IT HAS GOTTEN ME WHERE I NEED TO GO. ALWAYS A PLUS"

By on Wednesday, July 7, 2010

By on Friday, May 8, 2009

By on Saturday, July 12, 2008

Great vehicle

By on Thursday, May 1, 2008

"Is a great car in the first five years only regular manteinence ( oil,filter, pats,ect) after that regular parts chances but not big deal,the only part I kept changing is the alternator(about 6 alternators in the last 16 years) is not too gas consumig I used to fill the gas tank $10.00 now $25.00 and gas still up by the minute."

Terrible

By on Friday, January 11, 2008

"Bad 18-20 mpg. Slow. Rattling. Parts for this vehicle seem to be very expensive. It also looks terrible."