2013 Nissan Pathfinder

7.2

Based on 118 Ratings for the 2013 - 2017 models.

7.5/10
    7.2/10
    7.4/10
    7.4/10

Spacious, comfortable, fuel efficient

By on Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Pros: "Spacious, smooth ride,"

Cons: "Be ware the tow bttn on dash does not = tow hitch"

"This car was more spacious and comfortable than others we test drove like the Acadia and Highlander. We got a great price on an SV model with some add-ons, including cargo package, splash guards, floor mats, and chrome rear bumper protector. The vehicle is very comfortable (even for larger drivers) and provides a very smooth drive on the interstate. I believe the remote start was standard on the SV, which my wife loves. The standard technology is more than sufficient. Large touchscreen in the dash, with bluetooth standard on SV (i think). There is also a small screen on the gauge panel which provides various vehicle information via the steering wheel controls. Overall, this has been a great vehicle for us so far. The drawbacks are as follows: They sold us on the vehicle in part, because the 2017 has an increased, 6,000 lb. towing capacity. The dash has a tow mode button, but when we got home there was no tow hitch, and we had to go back and have it installed at an additional charge. The air blender is not very good. The air is usually hot heat, or cold A/C, not much in between. There is also an issue with the left to right direction of the air vents not being very effective. There is no problem adjusting the vertical direction of the air, but, horizontally, the center vents pretty much blow straight forward irrespective of the direction of the vents. The acceleration on the vehicle is good with the exception of the 20-35mph range which has a little bit of lag and droning even with the improved CVT. Initial acceleration and acceleration from 35mph up are very good though, and the 20-35mph lag is not really enough to cause any issues."

2014 Nissan Platinum 4x4 -EXCELLENT VEHICLE!

By on Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Pros: "Backup Camera is amazing & Gas Mileage"

Cons: "No Blind Spot detector on the Platinum Edition"

"This is basically an Infiniti JX35 - you really can't tell the difference when getting into it other than the Infiniti Stamping. The Pathfinder is much less than the JX35 fully loaded...by thousands. I own the 2014 Platinum Model and man do I love it. So far no transmission issues - cross my fingers. I looked at the Highlander, Pilot and Ford Explorer - this hands down has a better interior and more features for the $.....I drove it to Chicago 760 miles round trip and averaged 28.5 MPG! Only SUV in it's class with FWD, AWD & 4WD!"

Affordable 3rd Row SUV, but unsure on longevity

By on Thursday, May 22, 2014

Pros: "Price, smooth drive, gas mileage, roomy"

Cons: "Nervous about all the recalls/manufacturer defects"

"I'd been looking for an SUV with a 3rd row for over 6 months that was under $30K and was not having any luck. But after I saw the new design of the Pathfinder, and that a local dealer had a used 2013 in stock I went and test drove it (March 2014). I instantly loved the feel of the drive, and the look of the dash and interior, the gas mileage and most of all price ($28K for the SV model with 25K miles). My husband and I both really wanted a Highlander but could not find an affordable used one. We also considered the Pilot but did not like the boxy look or feel of the interior. So the Pathfinder seemed like a good mix of price and style. However, after I bought it I saw all the negative reviews with multiple recalls and issues with the transmission. Needless to say I had major buyers remorse and seriously considered returning it. But my husband insisted he thought the transmission was fine since it already had 25K miles on it and we did not feel/hear any similar issues with jerking, etc. We also confirmed with the dealer that it had a 100K drivetrain warranty that included the transmission. It's been 2 months since we've owned it. We still love the feel of the seats and roominess of the interior. It's definitely bigger in size to the Highlander. However, there are a few annoyances. The cloth interior is almost like suede, and so it looks kind of dirty all the time. I also noticed on the driver/front passenger door handles some of the cloth is wearing off already. I've wiped it down and it seems to clear it up a little. I also agree with previous reviewers now that the dash computer screen looks a little outdated. Kinda 80'sish with these diagonal lines. However, it drives super smooth, has a good turn radius and looks decent on the exterior (I still prefer the look to the Highlander though). I don't think it'll be a car that I own forever. But based on it being a Nissan, I'm hoping it can last us a good 10 years. I drive approximately 20 miles a day to/from work/daycare and average 21 mpg with about 60-70 of that in town and the rest highway. So I'm very happy with the gas mileage. I also wanted to say that there are companies that pay people to write "fake" reviews. So please make sure you read all of the reviews with that caveat in mind. I can't help but wonder if the true overall rating of the Pathfinder would be lower. I normally would not write a review on something I'm still undecided on. But I wanted to provide a true consumer review, and my opinion on the SUV."

Great comfortable quiet ride

By on Sunday, January 27, 2013

Pros: "Quiet, comfortable"

Cons: "Disasterous transmission."

"CVT transmission is a disaster. Engine lugs,transmission vibrates and shudders when at 1000rpm to 1200rpm and speed is approximately 13 to 20, steady 20,30 o 35mph and level or slight uphill grade.Cannot avoid if in traffic such as Nashville or Scottsdale,AZ!!! Any mountain grades up are a disaster also. Had two different Nissan mechanics at two different dealerships check out only to be told that this is what the transmission does by design. What a poor design. It constantly seeks up and down and many times shakes the whole vehicle!!! For over $42,000 when I bought new two months ago is unbelievable!!I hope Nissan can wake up their transmission designers and get this disaster fixed."

Run away as fast as you can

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pros: "second row mobility, 360 camera, stereo quality"

Cons: "Major Transmission issues; poor quality all around"

"Let me just say that I have previously owned two other Nissan's and loved them; I swore my their quality and safety and recommended Nissan to everyone I came in contact with. My 2013 Nissan Pathfinder has proved me wrong. The good: Second row moves forward and backward to allow you to accomodate passengers in all rows; 360 degree camera is awesome; quiet ride; stereo system is very nice (Bose). The bad: I have had nothing but problems with my 2013 Pathfinder since I bought it. The transmission has been worked on several times and still isn't fixed, the tires are horrible, the hood vibrates at highway speeds, the trunk had to be fixed for a loud popping noise, the passenger seat heating/cooling switch had to be "fixed" three times before they finally replaced it. For the amount of money I spent I would expect better quality. Very disappointed in this experience with Nissan. Please do your homework before purchasing this car."

Don't Buy a 2013 or 14!!!

By on Monday, November 25, 2013

Pros: "cabin space (Infiniti makes same size, though)"

Cons: "Can't drive it, automatic doesn't shift out of 2nd"

"Bought it brand new - five months into it had transmission problems - never compensated for Nissan's clear problem, even though two different reps said we would. It disrupted our lives and our carpools because my car was in the shop having the transmission fixed two times (gone for 5 weeks at one time), about to be three times. Corporate knew there was a problem, tried a stop-gap measure (a transmission modulator) even though reports had been placed that the entire transmission should be replaced. Transmission was replaced with REFURBISHED parts, finally. AND, Nissan did not change the transmission on the 2014, after knowing the issues existed on the 2013. DON'T buy it! It is not worth it. Getting rid of it as soon as possible!"

Don't understand KBB rating mix

By on Saturday, August 1, 2015

Pros: "Roomy, luxury interior, hi tech, easy to drive."

"First, why mix the 2013,2014,2015 model ratings. The 2015 is a completely redesigned vehicle on a new chassis. Nissan has up scaled the interiors on all their vehicles and the Pathfinders rates as luxurious. The Platinum series has all the technology bells and whistles of the other manufacturers and then some. Bose sound, family entertainment center, four cameras, 8" display, parking cross alert, lane blind spot alert, power lift, key-less entry and auto start and that's just for starters. The tranny issue is resolved in the 2015 as compared with the older models and drives like a solidly built vehicle it is. Shifts smoothly and you have the ability switch from the variable speed shift to a more automatic feel if you like. For the price this is an outstanding bargain."

Great vehicle

By on Sunday, January 18, 2015

Pros: "comfort, features good mileage"

"Purchased this Pathfinder new from a great dealer and it his been a solid vehicle Easy to get in and out of, comfortable ride, back up camera is excellant and a great navigation system. You don't feel like your in a shoe box this is a fair size vehicle that gets good mileage."

Do not buy this vehicle until bugs are worked out

By on Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Cons: "transmission"

"Ride is great, plenty of room. Love body style but this vehicle has some major transmission issues. Its in the shop now for the 3rd time for same problem. Hope they can fix the problem soon."

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "Pretty"

Cons: "Transmission problems"

"I bought this car and had transmission problems 3 times in a month. The dealership let me trade it in for another one and promised me it would be a 1 in a million chance it would happen again. Had this new pathfinder for 3 days and the problems are starting again. I'm warning you, it is not worth the aggrevation. Do not buy this car!"

I LOVE THE RIDE AND COMFORT LEVEL.

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "great ride and comfort."

Cons: "apparently defective transmission."

"the transmission jerks forward , when placed in drive and does not respond to attempts to accelarate at 60 mph, it makes a rumbling noise.something is not rite with this transmission. i have experienced all of the problems that other posters have had with their transmissions."

Dont buy

By on Friday, November 8, 2013

"i have transmission issues even after they out a new transmission. very bad customer service FROM NISSAN. PLEASE DONT BUY THIS CAR."

Great SUV... better the 2nd time around!

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "Great ride, outstanding technology, good mileage"

Cons: "Lack of acceleration"

"I purchased the fully-loaded Pathfinder Platinum 4x4 in September. Without going into long details, it developed a "shudder" at low speeds and even after 4 prolonged repair attempts at the dealer, it continued to shudder and we eventually managed to get it exchanged for a new one. The new one is amazing. I too don't get near to the advertised fuel mileage (also around 19 combined), but then that's still not bad for a very large vehicle. The car is totally ergonomic: everything is where you need it to be or where you expect it to be. I love the large display and use a lot of the functions every day. We find restaurants with it, check national and local weather, check our mileage, surf SiriusXM radio and more. I love the top-down 'helicopter' view of the car when you reverse... totally amazing! Aside from the gadgets, it rides very smooth both in the city and the highway. We wanted a very quiet highway car, and this is it. Drives itself practically. Good in the turns, handles very well and is a pleasure to drive. Very good visibility all around and easy to park with the cameras and sensors. I would highly recommend this SUV to anyone looking for a luxury car without the high cost... you get significantly more than a comparable X5, Q7 or Porsche Cayenne."

Almost there, Nissan

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pros: "Very quiet ride, extremely comfortable, luxurious"

Cons: "Hard to park."

"I recently traded in my Honda Odyssey for this SUV. I am in love with every aspect of this car, except for the gas mileage. I am getting only 18 MPG on the city, which is less then advertised."

Problem child

By on Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Pros: "Roomy-comfortable-good gas mileage for the size"

Cons: "Transmission"

"Bought a new 2013 Pathfinder in August 2013. In November 2013 took it to the dealer due to shaking/shuddering and was told that it needed a new transmission. At that time, the mileage was 2361. Well, that one lasted until last week. Another transmission was required and was installed at 26,600 miles. So, I have a 3 year old vehicle with 26,700 miles which is on its third transmission. Yes, there have been far too many recalls on various items on this vehicle. I recently received two recall notices, one was taken care of at the same time the transmission was replaced. The other recall advises that I will receive another letter when the parts are available. This vehicle is not long for my garage. We are researching other SUVs but the problem is that I am 6'5" tall and do not fit in most vehicles. My wife will not even go look at vehicles until I go and "try them on". I have work to do."

Amazing Car, Great mileage for 4300 lbs vehicle

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "2nd and 3rd row room, good mpg, solid ride"

Cons: "rearview visibility, need to use backup camera"

"Nissan hit the family vehicle mark with the redesigned Pathfinder. We had the following constraints when searching for a new vehicle to replace our 1997 Volvo 850 Wagon: 1) Vehicle Safety, 2) Fit a family of six comfortably, 3) Get good gas mileage, 4) Not be a minivan. We looked at ALL of the mid-sized three-row CUVs on the market. Because the 2013 Pathfinder is a new model we used the recently completed Infinity JX35 crash test results for safety (the cars are very similar in design and are made on the same assembly line in TN). Many models (including most of the premium brands) were knocked-off the list because the third-row did not fit a 6’ person without their head hitting the roof. The vehicles that made it through the third-row room filter were the GM (Traverse, Acadia, Enclave family of vehicles), the Toyota Highlander (borderline, headroom in 3rd row), the Honda Pilot, and the Nissan Pathfinder. Of these vehicles the Pathfinder provided the best gas mileage. I believe the key to the high mileage is the CVT. We have the SV model with 4WD and have averaged over 26 mpg on the highway (traveling at 70 mph) and average ~24 mpg driving around our rural town. The car is the quietest car I have ever driven, is extremely comfortable on the road, and has a very solid feel. I have not noticed any of the transmission issues that others have reported. The interior is well designed and practical. Rearview visibility is poor, but the rearview camera alleviates this concern, you do need to keep the camera lens clean in wet or snowy weather (we have driven the vehicle in both.) I would strongly recommend giving this car a hard look if you need a practical 6+ passenger family vehicle with good comfort and mileage. We are looking forward to many years in this vehicle and hope that our initial extremely favorable impression of this car continues."

AWESOME SUV!

By on Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, styling, comfort, value, well made."

Cons: "Steering is loose."

"I recently purchased a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder SL Premium. I love it. It is VERY comfortable and luxurious for a reasonable price. It has a CVT, so the performance is wonderful and gets the best mileage I have yet to see for a car in its class. The ride is really smooth and it is an eye catcher. Whenever I show my Pathfinder to any of my friends, they say, "Wow! You have gotten yourself a very nice car!" And these people are the kind of people who drive very fancy cars like Mercedes, Audi, BMW, and Lexus. My 2013 Nissan Pathfinder is one of the best cars that I have ever had!"

Love the style, comfort and drive.

By on Sunday, May 26, 2013

Pros: "Good looks and very comfortable"

Cons: "To many buttons to serve the air and fan. Hard tr"

"We have been satisfied so far. We have about 2800 miles We only have trouble figuring out the fan and A/C. Very distracting and to many combinations to try."

Nissan fan turned sour.Pathfinder Poor Performance

By on Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable for a large family needs"

Cons: "Too many mechanical issues."

"I was a big fan of the Nissan product having owned a 2010 maxima, I was very disappointed in the quality of the 2013 Pathfinder. Within the first month I have had front headlight burn out, leaking windows, Parking sensor warning lights and more importantly transmission issues with the newly designed CVT, producing rumbling noises and providing sluggish performance/delays at low to mid city driving speeds. Dealer will not take the SUV back as they claim that it would not be considered a defective product and could not sell it. Kind of funny as Nissan had no issue selling me a defective product in the first place. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND NOT PURCHASING THIS VEHICLE...AT LEAST THIS 2013 YEAR!!!!!"

Transmission out already

By on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pros: "Great gas milage, comfortable, feels high end"

Cons: "been in the shop for half of the time we've had it"

"We purchased a 2014 Platinum Premium Pathfinder less than two months ago. I love the features, and the comfort of this vehicle. However, 3 days after owning the vehicle it was in the shop needing a new transmission. It took awhile for it to come in, and the shuddering while driving was getting really bad. We finally got the transmission replaced and they re-programmed some stuff...drove it off the lot and hadn't gotten 100 feet from the dealership and the shuddering is STILL there. Took it back in and it needs another new transmission! I love this vehicle, but am highly disappointed with the quality of the transmission and with Nissan's 'fix' for the problem. Thankfully we have the extended warranty, because we are going to need it apparently."

Bad transmission

By on Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pros: "Interior and exterior design."

Cons: "TRANSMISSION and lack of blind spot detection."

"The transmission (CVT) is a real problem. After Nissan bought back my 2013 Pathfinder due to two transmission failures, I decided to get another 2013 Pathfinder Platinum. Honestly I like the car overall except the transmission.I can feel a vibrations in low speed and the think that i really hate is the feeling of jerking when accelerate from stop.Basically when start to accelerate from stop and the car hits 3500 RPM at about 30-40 MPH, the transmission jumps suddenly from 3500 RPM to 2500 RPM similar to switching from 1st to 2nd gear on auto transmission, which causes a pretty bad jerk.I'm not sure if this is normal but according to Nissan the CVT must be really smooth. Does anyone else has experienced such a transmission behaviour? Also It's a shame that $45000 car doesn't have a blind spot detection, when all competitors offer that must have option on their cars/suvs."

What I expected and not disappointed!

By on Friday, March 22, 2013

Pros: "lots of room and very fuel effiecient for its size"

Cons: "Sporty-not. Tightwad factory warranty. Dealer"

"Bought a 2013 SL 4x4 in November 2012. 9500 miles now. No surprises. Intown mileage has gotten better. Average mileage is 22mpg. Hwy at 77-78 mph is 22.5mpg. Slow down to 70 with cruise and 25mpg is easily delivered. Haven't towed anything so no comment. Occasional transmission lugging when caught in between at slow speed but not problematic-yet? I have experienced same in other vehicles. Nicely finished and very good quality-no shakes, rattles or rolls yet. Good leather quality and substantial-should hold up well. The vehicle is well appointed and lots of interior room. The second row is easy entry/exit and has an incredible amount of leg room (more that Tahoe or Suburban-go figure). Really comfortable for passenger. I don't like the way the 3rd row seats, when folded down, are not flat. Stuff slides towards tail gate. I would have ordered w/o 3rd row if possible but it is a really slick design for third row entry-even an adult(used once). Very comfortable ride on highway-much more so than predecessor Pathfinder or Toyota 4Runner. Both are kidney busters compared to this-imho. Only complaint is car came w/ a very small ding in roof pillar support which wasn't caught at delivery (it was night) and dealer just shook head when pointed out later-typical dealer. I do think the warranty is a joke at 36,000/36 mos. Most others manufacturers have much better. I will probably buy extended warranty as I expect to keep a longtime as my previous Nissan (Infinity G35) is still going strong at 140k (sold to a friend 60k ago). Same engine in both vehicles, but now much more fuel efficient. Very good value-imho."

Would not buy until transmission problem solved.

By on Sunday, November 3, 2013

Pros: "Great Price, fun to drive, great room and ride."

Cons: "Transmission no side view warning."

"I purchased this 2013 Pathfinder in Jan 13 trading in a 2010 Murano that I liked but wanted something roomier. What a mistake that was. I have had nothing but problems with shuddering of transmission. Had convertor changed and reprogramed with the same problem. Now going to replace the transmission. I will try to get them to buy back or trade for Toyota or Honda after 10 years of being loyal to Nissan with 5 vehicles. Very disappointed with how Nissan has handled this problem. Asked to buy it back but they denied. This is serious but they don't think so. SAD"

Gas mileage much lower than advertised

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

"The main reason I bought this car against the competition was mainly based on the supposed gas efficiency advertised by Nissan (20 city / 26 Highway). The reality is completely different, in mix driving conditions (75% city / 25% highway) I can't get more than 19 MPG of this SUV. I don't exceed speed limits, I accelerate & break very smooth in addition that I live in south Florida, completely flat roads. I paid my price to bought a new release model with not enough customers reviews at the time I got it."

Warning still havinf Transmission issues !!!

By on Sunday, October 13, 2013

Pros: "Nice interior/"

Cons: "Transmission issues"

"Please check all reviews on the shudder transmission issue before you make a decision. the verdict is still out if this issue is resolved. I've had mine in the shop 3 times."