2006 Nissan Maxima

8.1

Based on 609 Ratings for the 2004 - 2008 models.

Saved Our LIVES!!

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"This car was by far the best car I have ever owned! It was roomy dependable and classy! Got great gas mileage and had alot of power. But most imoportant it saved my family's life! My husband, my two babies (2ys and 7m) and I were in a horrible rollover accident while driving this car. Just by looking at the car you would not expect there to be any survivors. But because of how well built the maxima was and having all 6 air bags deploy, with the help of seat belts and proper child seats, we all walked away without a broken bones or stiches! I thank God every day for sparing our lives and I know that if we were driving anything else our luck might not be so good."

Higs and Lows

By on Saturday, September 10, 2011

Pros: "Gadgets, economy for its size, looks"

Cons: "ABS and strut reliability, lack of passenger lumbar"

"My 2004 has served me adequately, but not well. It's beautiful and has gadgets and gizmos galore. My wife loves the folding mirrors and heated steering wheel. We like the fact that the driver's seat memory includes mirror and steering wheel positions. Mechanically, we've been pleased with 30 MPG on long drives. What we didn't like was premature failure of struts and rear ABS system problems ($2000). We are still waiting for the transmission problems to surface, but are glad to wait."

Solid car

By on Saturday, March 1, 2014

Pros: "plenty of power, good gas mileage, reliability"

Cons: "turning radius, unsupportive seats, OE tires r bad"

Family reunion in the Maxima

"I bought this vehicle new almost 8 years ago. I have not had any mechanical issues with this car. However at about 65000 miles a metallic noise started from underneath the vehicle mostly noticeable when trying to hold a speed between 40-50 mph. I've been told it's either the heat shield or the guts of the catalytic converter coming loose (which I was told is fairly common on these). I was told it's nothing to worry about but it is annoying never the less. Also, this vehicle is tricky when it comes to getting the right tire. The Goodyears that came with the car were total garbage. They only lasted 29000 miles (and that's with regular rotation) and they turned into rocks and made the ride rough and unpleasant. They also caused a shake in the steering wheel. I then tried Toyo Versados which were better but there was still a shake in the steering wheel. I had both sets of these tires balanced numerous times with no success in getting rid of the shaking steering wheel. Finally when the Toyos wore out at 65000 miles I purchased Michelin Primacy tires. This was the best purchase I could have made. Since I put these on, the car has no shake in the steering wheel and rides much nicer. If you own this car or are going to buy one I would definitely reccommend getting Michelin Primacy tires. They're not the cheapest option but you'll be glad you did once you feel the difference. This car has more than enough power. The handling is decent, but I would like it a little stiffer with less sway since it's classified as a 4 door sports car. Also, the turning radius on this car is ridiculous. Don't even try doing a uturn unless it's a very wide road. I don't know why they didn't make the radius tighter. The seats could definitely use more support on the sides. Sometimes around turns you can feel like your sliding around. The BOSE stereo system is well worth the money. Great sound. The HID headlights are also worth the money. Despite being a bigger, more powerful V6, the car gets decent gas mileage. On long straight highway trips I usually get 27 or 28 mpg. In town maybe 20 or 21 mpg. The bad part is premium fuel is recommended for best performance. I've used premium since the car was new so I couldn't tell you if using regular would have negative affects. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with this car so far. Up to this point reliability has not been an issue at all. The car still has plenty of pep and other than routine maintenance I haven't put any money into it. While it's not perfect, I don't know any car that is. I would definitely recommend this car to family and friends."

Family reunion in the Maxima

I love my 2004 maxima!!

By on Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Pros: "You will love it..."

Cons: "Dont leave keys in car while running doors will lock"

"I bought my max brand new with seven miles on it. Now I have 203000 miles and it still running like the first day. Never had any majar probilems just routine. I just got a new one and I dont even drive it. Still driving my old one everyday....."

Never Again!!!

By on Thursday, April 8, 2010

"I always swore by Nissan up until this purchase. I traded in a 97 Max for a 2005 model. Big mistake. Im now paying for a new trans ($3300). I just got done paying for a catalytic converter and cam sensors ($1700) 4 months ago. This car is a money pit. Nissan knows it and will do nothing about it. I have found out that there is a class action lawsuit regarding the defective transmission. Ive owned this car for almost 4 yrs now and cant trade it in due to the transmission. I still owe money on this car and who knows how long the next 12,000 mile warranty transmission will last. My 97 Max never had any problems. I put over 300,000 miles on that car. I wish I still had it. I would recommend a newer model with the CVT trans. This one is a disaster waiting to happen. I dont have $5000 just hanging around for repairs to get my car to work properly. I have to find a way though, because Im still making payments for it. Steer clear of the 05 Maxima!!! BTW, the seats are very uncomfortable for any trip longer than 20 minutes. The turning radius is horrible due to the wide tires. After 4 yrs Im still doing 3 point turns just to get into regular parking spaces. Its something that you will never get used to. Forget U turns. The car will not do them on narrow roads. All the power window motors are weak and take forever to put up or down. That will probably be my next big expense. For some reason, the car always wants to have the AC on. No matter how many times I turn it off, the car will turn it back on. It kills gas mileage. I have to continually look down to see if its on or not. On the brighter side, the car has a lot of nice features. I like the tinted mirrors at night, the telescoping steering wheel, the stereo, and the overall look of the car. Its a pretty car to look at. When the car is running properly it is very fun to drive. It will match up with much more expensive Mercedes and BMW's. Ive never driven a car that just takes off when I hit the gas. There is NO hesitation. Its like a rocket from a standstill. Hopefully, when I get my trans next week, I can get back to enjoying my car that I spend so much money on."