2001 Nissan Maxima

Based on 565 Ratings for the 2000 - 2003 models.

MY THIRD MAXIMA

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

"Great Car Great Ride, fast interior leather is thick never wears. My only gripe is it started using oil at about 160k my other two didnt but oh well."

Electrical Issues

By on Saturday, February 6, 2010

"I bought this car new in 2000 (early release 2001 model) and really like the style and pickup. However there seems to be systemic electrical issues with this car. During the warranty period the sunroof motor went out as well as the alternator. After the warranty I had to change the alternator again and the windows groan and are going up very slowly. I just had my first break job at 80k and 9 years, it cost $430. This cars rear rotors should be replaced each time a break job is done, which adds cost to the job. Of course the check engine light comes on ever once and a while. Took it into pep boys and computer said change the oxygen sensor so I did and it went off for a while. It goes on and off as it wishes I don't pay attention anymore. The last problem was a strange noise when the engine shut off. Sounded like a servo turning on and off. I found out that it was an electrical motor mount going bad. I just un plugged it and notice no difference. Maint manual says there are only 2 settings for the motor mount based on the RPM of the engine. When you look at the engine it appears very complicated and this is an example of that design. Who ever heard of electrical motor mounts! In the end I like the car like I said just has electrical problems."

Underappreciated wonder

By on Saturday, July 25, 2009

"Quick note (more later) the engine change: You'll notice a lot more mechanical complaints from 2002 and 2003 owners. A lot of Maxima afficionados were upset with the 3.5liter engine change in those years, and I'm not sure it's as robust as the old 3.0. I've owned two Maxima's of this generation, and each have easily bested all of the other vehicles I've ever owned (Mazda, Ford, Chevy, Jeep, Buick, and Honda). Much superior to the V6 Accord my Mom bought (whose tranny blew at 90kmi with a 70yo lady driving it). It is not as comfortable as the Accord due to the stiffer suspension and solid rear axle, but it handles worlds better with much greater precision and chassis feedback. You can have your cake and eat it too. Though it's a Z-car in a suit, it also gets really good highway mileage that can top 30mpg with or without air conditioning. Fit and finish as well as overall aesthetic and mechanical design straight embarrass American cars, and the Anniversary Edition looks hot without being gaudy. I've always had a GLE or an SE with all the GLE options and am totally spoiled on heated seats and climate control; the A/C always works...never charged, never fixed. However, I've noticed that the interior leather's thickness is much reduced over that used in the '96 model I had; I see a lot more examples of this gen Maxima with damaged leather. The Bose system is good enough that you won't have much desire for even a trick stereo system. Maintenance is laughably minimal. I'd recommend servicing the transmission regularly, as this seems the only week link in the drive train. On the chassis, the brake hanger design (as with many cars) is weak on both front and rear; always check these parts if you do your own brakes and don't be surprised if they need to be replaced every two sets of pads and rotors. Other than normal wear items, I've only ever replaced accessory equipment (starters, alternators, O2 sensors, etc.), because these cars are almost indestructible. This car has the Z-car engine, detuned and living the easy life; no hard parts ever wear out -- the valve lash is always spot on. They are tanks and can easily go 200kmi+. I can't guarantee that about the 2002 and 2003 models though; I hear about a lot more problems with the 3.5 engine than the 3.0. Unfortunately, "tank" could also accurately describe the handling in snow and ice. I've never had worse handling cars for Winter driving and am still unsure how to fix it. Well, it's not really that it handles poorly, but none of my Maximas could brake worth a darn on slick pavement. The ABS always kicks in ridiculously early and prevents potential stopping power from being realized. That pretty much ruins overall Winter handling. That said, poor slick condition braking is really the ONLY quibble I have with this vehicle. This car is a case study in superior Japanese engineering and production (sorry, my fellow citizens, they just beat us at that). Get one. You'll love it!"

won't quite

By on Tuesday, December 30, 2008

"2000 MAX bought it new for my 51'st birthday. Still runs like new @241000. Have not had any unusual problems with the car and I think it will run forever. Would like a new one but hate to part with old MAX . You can find one used and know if you take care of the thing it will run a long time. Still like to drive it."

By on Saturday, January 5, 2008

"I bought my Maxima with 8 miles on it and currently have 120k. So far nothing has broken except for the chip that controls the A/C blower, but it was a two screw repair and $100. The only complaint I have ever had is the noise as the SE has bigger wheels and the road and wind noise is a little bit of a pain. When considering that it was worth $25k new and about $10k now with 120k miles....I can't really complain at all. Great all around car for the money."

I would buy another one for sure!

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "Powerful and fun to drive. Very dependable"

Cons: "I don't love the turning radius nor torque steer"

"I bought this car with 77k miles on it and it now has nearly 200k and still going strong. I've never had a major problem with it other than the cd player head unit. the engine has always burned a bit of oil but nothing major. Very strong car."

By on Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pros: "Best deal for the money and fun to drive a plus!"

Cons: "CD systems could be better."

"I bought this demo '03 Maxima 1/30/2002. It had 19,000mi at the time.Never had any problems until It approached 190000mi. Had to replace two trans computers.Cost was$1,300.00 ofr repairs.Had to change out all hoses and belts at 100,000mi.I just kept up the maintainence on the car by keeping up with the oowners manual. Kept oil changed regularly.Flushing all liquid systems at 100,000mi.CD quit in 2010,left park light cover cracked. All in all, I just drove it. The 3.5 engine has all the power one needs for any highway. Best car I've ever owned!Sorry,but I have no pics. It is white with a spoiler."

5 speed,3.0L,This car is fast,comfortableafordable

By on Monday, December 5, 2011

Pros: "Quick,comfortable,sporty"

Cons: "Cop magnet, blacked out.140mph speeding ticket."

"I have always loved Maximas there luxurious,sporty,Good price range,Mine is only worth 3,000 dollars and I feel like its worth alot more because of its reliability."

RIP

By on Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pros: "Very peppy, great price, expensive details, roomy."

Cons: "It was a GLE but didn't have heated seats."

"My beautiful Nissan Maxima got totaled by a school bus yesterday (with me in it). I am sure going to miss this car. Never had one problem in 8 years. The interior was beautiful, the leather looked amazing this whole time. I wanted them to fix it but it got crunched from both ends. It held up well in the crash. Wish I could get another one just like it!"

Very dependable, comfortable, fast vehicle i ever

By on Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pros: "fast, comfortable luxury inside, very safe"

Cons: "no complaints"

"I have had this car for 4 years and had no problems with it at all. The car is an excellent car. It has the speed and comfort a real driver needs. Very reliable with minor upkeep. I would recommend this car to anyone. ;)"