1996 Nissan Maxima

Based on 524 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

Love this car!

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pros: "Long life"

Cons: "Gas mileage ( but the power is worth it)"

"This is my first car, I got it used at around 150,000 miles. It has been such a champ for me. The coils are starting to go out and I've been told that is one of the only weak spots in the maximas. I don't want to give it up though!"

16 yo and still drives better than our new car.

By on Monday, January 16, 2012

Pros: "Excellent value, refined drive, fun to drive."

"We bought this car used 11 years ago, thinking we would keep it 3 years. We have thought about trading it in a few times, but every time we look at newer cars, we are amazed at how much better our old Maxima is! The interior is very well appointed and has held up very well. The paint still looks great (I wash/wax regularly, but nothing too special). It has plenty of power; it feels much sportier than other cars we've tested that claim to have 50 more hp. Our friends are always amazed to find out it's more than a few years old. I have invested about $2,800 (suspension, brakes twice, power steering pump, cv joints, mass airflow sensor) in maintenance and repairs and put on two new sets of tires (~$400/each set) over the past 11 years, but today it still drives almost like a new car. Compared to trading it in for a newer car, we have saved many thousands and still have a better car."

I have had great experience with my nissan

By on Monday, November 7, 2011

Pros: "Great in-exspensive car and very reliable!!!"

Cons: "no cup holder in the back seats??"

"I bought the car used with 21K, I am now at 130k. I have had NO major issuse, only the normal wear and tear(that you would receive with any vehicle you own). If you keep up on the oil changes reguraly then you should have no major issues(mobile1 synthetic high millage 10w30/bosch filter, every 7k)<- WILL NEVER HAVE ANY major ISSUE! The handling is good, I have notice its a lot better when you have michelin tires/good set of tires. I live where it snows a lot and I have had no handling problems in the weather conditions. The car is fully loaded and in perfect working condition, leather interior, heated seats, sunroof, power everything. perfect little in-exspensive car with all the amenities that a 1999 would have. I am extremely happy with the investment and will do it all over again!! EXTREMELY RELIABLE"

simply the best

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pros: "dependable"

Cons: "premium fuel only"

"keep the oil changed and this thing is bullitproof do all the maintence and its indestructable. i own 5 nissans 4 of them have over 200,000 miles need i say more."

Best car I ever drove.

By on Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pros: "great handling. comfort. great pick-up."

"Wonderful car. Safe and strong. Best heating and air conditioning system I have ever seen. Also, excellent handling and stability."

Great car and great value

By on Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Pros: "great value, handles well"

Cons: "Issues w/brakes that the dealers did not repair correctly"

"Leather seats and interior has held up exceptionally well. Still handles nicely and get fairly decent mileage - 20-22mpg incity driving and 24-25mpg on the freeways."

great and reliable!

By on Tuesday, November 18, 2008

"This is a good car overall. I have a 5-speed 98 Maxima, and it has treated me right so far. I bought it almost 2 years ago with 125,000 miies from original owner and i haven't had any issues besides normal wear and tear and servicing. I put 25,000 miles on it the first year i got it (10,000 miles above average) and had no issues at all. Decent gas mileage but not the best considering how big the gas tank is and the fact that its a 5-speed. Shifts great! People don't notice at first that its manual because it shifts so smoothly. PROS: reliable, good quality, excellent interior, excellent performance CONS: expensive to fix, gas mileage could be better, and it gets a little uncomfortable for someone 6'3'' on long trips compared to my brothers Honda Accord, which is much more comfortable then my Maxima"

Best Vehicle ever

By on Saturday, October 11, 2008

"I bought the 1997 Nissan Maxima new. The car have been incredible. Replaced the clutch at 105k miles. Only major mechanical issue, about $700 to replace. Car still runs great. I will have to replace CV joints but still have original struts. I highly recommend Goodyear Assurance tire. Makes a huge difference on ride. Best V6 engine ever built. Car still looks greats and still runs great!!"

Excellent Car!

By on Friday, July 18, 2008

"I simply love this car. When I got my '96 Maxima 5 years ago the odometer read 65,000. Now 145,000 and the Max is still running strong, which I am glad of because I almost can't bear the thought of having a different car. But when the time comes, you can bet I'll get another Maxima. The car is quite large, the trunk is spacious and both front and backseats have very ample head and leg room. I feel as is the Maxima looks more like a luxurious car than a speedy car. This is, perhaps, deceptive because the car is speedy and agile. Acceleration is immediate when needed and I find the handling wonderfully responsive. And it by no means guzzles gas, I have quite the lead foot and I got as good as about 29/30 mpg on the highway. The car has been through 5 years with almost nothing wrong that wasn't caused by my admittedly abusive driving. It is still quick and nimble. The only things I have had to replace have been an alternator, a starter and a timing belt. Everything else was brakes, shocks and tires, which I beat up daily. Not that I encourage such behavior, but if you do drive like that, the car can take it. The Max was my first car, and I didn't keep maintenance as well as I should have but she lasted through it all, and is still showing no sign of giving up anytime soon. I am little older now, a little more knowledgeable about cars, and I am surprised at how well the car took such abuse. Suffice it to say Nissan has sold me on their product and I plan on being a loyal customer."

A great car

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2008

"I love this car it gets decent gas millage the only prob. that i have had is at 167,000 mile the intake barring in the transmission is starting to go out i love this car. the power its reliable and you kow you can always go 0 to 60 like that but it has a few probs in its self the master cylinder seems to go out pretty often followed by the slave cylinder. and now the transmission"

Best car Ever

By on Thursday, April 17, 2008

"I bought this car new now it is going on 400,000 miles on it with the same engine and same transmission now that's quility! I wanted to buy a new car but why this car has never left me on the side of the road it has got as high as 33 miles to the gal. It's a great car the paint on my white car still looks new. but of course i did my part I change the oil like clock work every three thousond miles. ant the car is easyon tires I have gone three years with the same set of tire and they look like I will get another three years out of them. BUY THIS CAR EVEN WITH 200,000 miles if it looks good and sound good."

242000 and still ticking

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"BEst car I ever purchased. 242,000 and nothing major. Starter , Alternator brakes tire etc. OTher than that NO LEAKS at all. still has the power of when I purchased it in 2000 with 25000 miles A++++++++++ CAR"

Never Quits

By on Tuesday, August 7, 2007

"The Maxima is the best car ever built. Over 300,000 Miles, 25+ MPG on highway, and stilll looks like new! I would recomend it to anyone."

Owned 15 years and LOVE

By on Saturday, November 9, 2013

Pros: "Gets great gas mileage and its low maintenance."

Cons: "Light weight, could have better front end traction"

"I've had this car for ten years. I got it when my father passed away - he bought it brand new. It has been extremely reliable and seldom needs anything other than regular maintenance of oil changes, etc. If I were looking to purchase a new car, I would first look into a Maxima."

Best vehicle ever!

By on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive; steady; good engine; speed."

"I bought this car when it had 102,000 on it and I'm up to 193,000. The car is still fashionable and it has the get up and go when you need it. Those six cylinders really work for you. The car is very steady and i love my stick shift! It's comfortable on long trips and is quite roomy. I have the original radio/CD and the speakers are really good. All in all, I am very happy with this car and wish I could keep her forever!"

Safe & Reliable, my baby forever

By on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pros: "Great gas, control & first car"

Cons: "Minorprblms overtime; clock/radio light out, AC..."

"Great car, the best visibility I've ever seen (no pun intended) for any car, especially since all these new cars have such tiny windows making for low visibility. It's the only car I've ever owned, but it's also the only car I'll ever want to own. Wonderful for first time drivers too! A lot of people at my community college have this car. Affordable and good gas mileage, especially with the overdrive feature. I'll cry the day this car dies or I have to let it go. They just don't make cars like this anymore."

Great car!

By on Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, fun to drive, responsive"

"Bought w/ a salvage title w/ 5k miles on it in 2001. It's the best car I've ever owned. Sure, after 14 yrs some minor mechanical fixes are expected and the quarter panels are starting to rust. Since 150k I've changed the alternator and the heat works on full blast only. I live in the northeast, travel highways and side roads and the car always starts up on the 1st key turn and is fun to drive. The engine feels as solid as day 1. I wish I could buy a brand new 1999! Wife wants me to get a new car but WHY??? I'm hoping to get 230K out of it."

Amazing!!

By on Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pros: "reliability, drives great, looks good."

Cons: "Nothing bad to say."

"I bought my 1996 Maxima about 8 years ago with 133k miles on it. I am currently at almost 275,000 miles and the only "major" work I've done was CV Joints about 6 years ago and new front end components about a year ago. Beyond that, the car always starts and runs perfectly. I am just now needing to redo the suspension."

So nice I bought it twice!

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great engine"

Cons: "nothing comes to mind"

"I'm currently two months into my second maxima. The first one was stolen and the crooks went through the sun roof and when it was recovered it was stored outside unprotected, Then it poured rain that night and just like that it was totaled, that was in 2006. Over the next 6 yrs I tried to find a car as nice a my white 95 maxima but couldnt even come close, so in Decenber of 2012 I bought another one a 98 SE. It's loaded and drives as nice as any modern car out there. Even though its 15 yrs old and has 150+ miles on it, it still drives flawless. I take it on out of town trips at will no need to rent a car when you have a 4th gen maxima. These car are bulletproof and I plan on having this one for a decade."

Car love of my life!

By on Monday, December 10, 2012

I want this car

Pros: "BOSE stereo system! ABS, leather, airbags"

Cons: "no GPS, but I bought one for the car."

"Bought my 98 Maxima GLE brand new in 98. Never had any issues and this car saved me more than once with antilock breaks and excellent handling driving in cold snowy Chicago winters. It took me back and forth to Florida several times with no issues! I lost my "baby" in a garage fire in January 2011. One of the worst days of my life! It broke my heart and I cried for days for my car; I even tried kicking in the garage door to save it. With firemen breaking my fence down, I handed them the keys and asked to get my car out! They said it was too late; so, needless to say, I ended up buying a brand new car about 2 months later. I bought a Hyundai; and am now looking for another 1998 GLE. Not only do I miss my Maxima; I sure do miss a Nissan! I'll be back!"

Favorite car I ever!

By on Thursday, December 6, 2012

Pros: "Drives and performs like a dream, good on gas."

Cons: "not enough to complain about"

"Purchased car brand new in 1996. Manual transmission which I absolutely love. Bose speakers are still sounding great. Motor has new timing chain but thats it. Over the years I have replaced starter, ball joints, muffler, struts, radiator, and up-down motors on back two windows. Things that just ware out due to age. If I could buy same car at same price, sold I'd buy it. New Maximas don't have the appeal this car had. Yes,I recently bought a used 2009 GS350 Lexus, but I find myself still driving my Maxima because I love the ride. Take care of them, they will get you where you want to go. Satisfied customer"

Thank you Nissan for truly the best car I've owned

By on Monday, November 26, 2012

Pros: "Will last for ever!!!"

Cons: "No cup holders in back seat :/ poor ppl back there"

Taken right now as a wright this review

"This car I bought new off the show room floor back in 1998, since then I have put on 230k miles on it this truly has been the best car I've ever had, yea I've had to replace the normal wear and tear items but you're have to do the same with any car after this many years!!! A few winters ago I ran into a deer with this my 98 Maxima at 30mph and I have to say the over all strength if this car is amazing! Just needed a headlight and vert minor damage to the hood, this is a car I wish I could give to my kids ands who knows maybe they will :) I haven't plan to ever get rid go this car in the near feature!!! I love the interior look of this car as well a and the leather still looks new!!! Envy thing still works radio, power seats, windows, moonroof, a/c (never been recharged), heat, mirrors, everything is perfect! Only bad thing is there is a wear spot on the drivers floor mat Keep in mind I had this when I was a teenager and you know how we where back then with our cars"

Taken right now as a wright this review

234,000 miles best on the market in that year

By on Friday, June 15, 2012

Pros: "very good engine still have the original in it."

Cons: "interior a little cheap"

"very little maintenance, very reliable, my daughter now has it and she loves it, and it is still running well. Thanks Nissan take lessons American Car Builders."

Great investment!

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

"Only my second car but I've had no problems with it and being a teenager I've put it through it's paces. I love taking it on five hour drives to my relatives house. It's extremely comfortable and fun to drive. It still pulls hard and runs exceptionally well for having 167000 miles on it."

I just bought this vehicle at an auction....

By on Sunday, February 5, 2012

Pros: "Manual Transmission makes this a zippy. fun car to"

Cons: "None whatsoever!"

"I recently got in an accident with my 97 Maxima, and was so pleased with that vehicle that I decided to purchase another Maxima. When you buy from an auction, you can't test drive the vehicles, but I trusted that buying another Nissan would be a wise decision. And I was right! The value of the newly purchased 1998 Maxima is 2x more than what I paid for it! I would recommend this vehicle to anyone that wants a safe, reliable vehicle"