2012 Nissan LEAF

Based on 74 Ratings for the 2011 - 2017 models.

Dear Perfect Engineering

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pros: "No gas, ever! Quiet, smooth ride, quick"

Cons: "Charger contractor not responsive, iPhone app fail"

"Nissan did an outstanding job on the Leaf. After all the tax incentives, the car represents the best value in transportation. Setting aside political (foreign oil dependency) and environmental (carbon emission) ideologies, the Leaf completely stands alone as the most modern and thoughtfully engineered urban vehicle today. It rides smoothly, accelerates quickly, and is equipped with all the digital wizardry from Bluetooth to Carwings. After having driven Mercedes for over 20 years, I traded in my S550 for the Leaf and was glad that I did. I was mentally prepared for the Leaf's limited range. So far city commute is manageable. The only bad experience is with Aeroenvironment, Nissan's contractor for the Level 2 charger. I went with an alternate local solution using a ClipperCreek charger. It's cheaper ($1800 includes the charger and installation), and in my experience much better than Nissan's contractor. The only other minor issue is that Carwing's iPhone app doesn't work with the 4S. The car itself is near perfect."

Best new car hands down. 11 months later...

By on Monday, May 21, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, quiet, buck a day for 50 miles."

Cons: "why white seats? no coin holder."

"After driving this car at least 50 miles every day for almost one year now I cannot imagine ever buying another gas car again. The 7500 mile service was $19.95, there was nothing to do but a tire rotation. There are no belts or hoses, no oil changes or transmission or anything that needs attention, i bet the brakes last 200k miles due to the regenerative braking effect when you let off the accelerator. This is the perfect car for just about everyone that drives less that 70 miles a day and has a garage they can charge in. I did away with any range angscity the first week i owned it by driving up to the top of a 6,000 mountain outside my town. I was white knuckled all the way up due to how long and steep the road was and when i got there it said i could only go 14 more miles, but the battery bars only showed 8 of 12 being used. When I turned around and got all the way back home it said I had 50 miles left in the battery and there were still 3 of 12 bars left. Only used a little battery as I was mostly charging the battery on the way back by going downhill."

Much Better than the Volt!!!

By on Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pros: "Acceleration, torque, Heated steering, 80+ miles"

Cons: "More storage under cargo area mat"

"We have a 68 mile daily commute to and from work in cold climate Michigan so we looked at the volt, prius, tdi, among others trying to offset costs of gas. We narrowed our choice to a volt or leaf after test driving cars. The volt was a close second but the Leaf beat it out for the following reasons: the volt managed a meager 30 miles in all electric when driven in temps hovering in the mid 40‘s - this wouldn't even get us half way. The leaf pulled out 82 during same weather. The leaf is larger with seating for 5 and larger cargo area. We liked the Leaf's dash and gauge layout better than the Volt. The leaf is quiet,yet has tremendous torque and really flies off the line. And price Carwings - We love how we can start the climate control, heat our car, and get it ready without leaving our house. Carwings let's us do all of this via our phone or ipad. Great feature. Navigation system is top notch and very accurate. Love xm Acceleration and torque. Heated steering wheel Roomy interior and comfortable seats LED headlights 80+ miles of all electric driving which meets our daily commute of 68 with miles to spare. Never had to recharge at work. We have made long tips (160 miles) in the car with planning. We traveled to Detroit from grand rapids with one stop in Lansing to charge our car. Worked out well as lots of charging statins along the way."

Quiet But Always Noticed

By on Sunday, March 20, 2011

"The overarching impression from the Leaf is that it's a "real car." When you see a Leaf, you know it; its front and rear are both distinctive enough to distinguish it from similarly shaped hybrids. It's not an electrified version of a gas car, it's a model all its own — not unlike the Prius. One of the most interesting features is a small solar panel atop the SL trim level's liftgate spoiler. Don't be misled; this little thing doesn't add range — it just trickle-charges the regular 12-volt battery. I'd be willing to bet the high-voltage battery pack loses more energy when sitting parked than the solar panel collects. Due to the nature of electric motors, the Leaf has robust torque from a standing start — enough to spin the tires before the traction control intervenes, especially when turning after a traffic signal turns green. With a zero-to-60 mph time of roughly 7 seconds, off-the-line acceleration is sprightly up to around 45 mph, and then you see the rate begin to decrease — to a degree that you must be patient if you plan to pass at highway speeds. This is the nature of an electric drivetrain with no conventional transmission and only one "speed." The top speed is electronically limited to 95 mph. I found myself speeding inadvertently — a lot. This is always a good sign in a car. It reflects low noise levels, stability and confidence, things you don't always get in typical cars, much less in efficient ones. In normal driving, the car's dynamics are agreeable, and this is all most drivers will ever encounter. If you push the car harder, it corners differently than normal cars do. Best I can tell, it's because the 600-pound battery pack lowers the center of gravity dramatically, even compared with the Chevy Volt. The pack is under the front and rear seats entirely, which positions all that mass low and between the front and rear axles. In a normal car, when you take a sharp turn the body leans and the inside wheels get light, making the outside tires work harder to hold the car on the road. In the Leaf, when the tires begin to lose their grip, they seem to do so in unison. I'm struck by how simple it is, and I don't mean that in a bad way. The car has a battery pack connected through associated electronics to an electric drive motor that powers the front wheels through a few reduction gears and a differential. That's pretty much it. No clutches, no conventional transmission, no secondary source of locomotion."

Great electric car

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, very effecient, great value."

Cons: "Choices of interior and not many charging stations"

"In 1996 I decided to build an electric car due to the gas prices and just for the challenge. While I really enjoyed that car for many years it didn't not have all the bells and whistles of a modern day car so I sold it and bought the LEAF. Other than not having any other full electric cars to choose from for styling, this car is everything of what I had hoped for and more. It is great car with all the online gadgets and information that it captures and the range is plenty for my daily drive of around 50 miles. I wish the range was a little more so I could make more than one trip without charging, but it is easy enough to plug in after each trip. Many have asked me "What happens when you run out of battery?" My response is what happens when you run out of gas? Same thing for the electric car for the most part. It is just like having a car with a smaller gas tank, but with the advantage you can fill up at home for a lot less cost. If there were the same number of charging stations around the country as there are gas stations there wouldn't be any issue in going longer distances. The problem in my area is there isn't any charging stations within 60 miles and many of the destinations I would go to farther than the ~100mi range don't have any stations. Need to put them in at Malls, restaurants, etc. Even with this fact, the LEAF is what I would call our main vehicle, but we also have a gas vehicle for the longer trips and vacations. It is a great car and I am excited to see other pure electric cars become available. I think someone could jump in and drive this and not even notice that it is electric since Nissan went to a lot of effort to make it act and perform like a regular gas car."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Nissan LEAF near Honolulu. See local deals