2012 Nissan LEAF

Based on 76 Ratings for the 2011 - 2017 models.

Great Rebirth for EVs

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "Quiet, reasonable fuel costs, Clean and Green"

Cons: "100 mile range - for long roadtrips"

"As an early adopter, we pay the price to help the movement towards sustainable clean energy options. While the Nissan Leaf has limited range (~100 miles depending on driving conditions), it is a very practical car for our daily use (~50 miles). The interior of our 2011 Leaf is spacious with significant headroom and legroom in both front and rear seats. A few blind spots exist in the rear piers of the vehicle. Side mirrors help address these blind spots, but hope this can be more adequately adressed in future models. To long term ownership value is to be determined, however the benefits of reduced fuel cost and use of HOV lanes during commute times are a significant immediate benefit and added value of the vehicle. Considering the Federal tax credit, state air quality rebate, HOV sticker - there are many early adopter incentives going on currently (2011 / 2012) that helped sway our decision towards an all electric vehicle. With the rising cost of oil/gas our monthly transportation fuel cost is now ~ 1/6!!!! While initial sticker is slightly higher than an internal combustion engine or hybrid vehicle of same features, the Total Cost of Ownership (when compared to ICE or hybrid cars) is actually less (no oil/oil filter changes, no timing belt / pump change). The long term unknown is the battery life beyond warranty and how the warranty coverage will apply should we need to envoke coverage. We are confident that Nissan will honor their 96 month 125,000 mile warranty and that the car will provide enough power/range for our daily needs. We plan to replace our other internal combustion engine vehicle when the electric rapid charging (quick charge) infrastructure has matured in California (and hopefully all of United States), and when a future generation mass market EV (from a EV technology and thought leader such as Nissan, Toyota, Tesla or other) can provide 300 miles of range in a vehicle priced under $40,000 after incentives."

Dear Perfect Engineering

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pros: "No gas, ever! Quiet, smooth ride, quick"

Cons: "Charger contractor not responsive, iPhone app fail"

"Nissan did an outstanding job on the Leaf. After all the tax incentives, the car represents the best value in transportation. Setting aside political (foreign oil dependency) and environmental (carbon emission) ideologies, the Leaf completely stands alone as the most modern and thoughtfully engineered urban vehicle today. It rides smoothly, accelerates quickly, and is equipped with all the digital wizardry from Bluetooth to Carwings. After having driven Mercedes for over 20 years, I traded in my S550 for the Leaf and was glad that I did. I was mentally prepared for the Leaf's limited range. So far city commute is manageable. The only bad experience is with Aeroenvironment, Nissan's contractor for the Level 2 charger. I went with an alternate local solution using a ClipperCreek charger. It's cheaper ($1800 includes the charger and installation), and in my experience much better than Nissan's contractor. The only other minor issue is that Carwing's iPhone app doesn't work with the 4S. The car itself is near perfect."

A True Electric Car

By on Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"The Nissan LEAF is a purpose built true electric car. Therefore it was built from the ground up to be an electric car. It's not a retrofit of an existing car to make it an electric car. The engineering of the vehicle is amazing. It accelerates like a V6. It is extremely quite. The car feels very open and roomy. There's a lot of headroom. The car is loaded with technology including performance analysis, Internet connection (to upload telemetry and to start the climate control system remotely), XM, iPod integration, keyless, backup camera, solar panel (to charge accessory battery), and of course an entirely electric drive train. It's a really fun car to drive and worth every penny."

Best new car hands down. 11 months later...

By on Monday, May 21, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, quiet, buck a day for 50 miles."

Cons: "why white seats? no coin holder."

"After driving this car at least 50 miles every day for almost one year now I cannot imagine ever buying another gas car again. The 7500 mile service was $19.95, there was nothing to do but a tire rotation. There are no belts or hoses, no oil changes or transmission or anything that needs attention, i bet the brakes last 200k miles due to the regenerative braking effect when you let off the accelerator. This is the perfect car for just about everyone that drives less that 70 miles a day and has a garage they can charge in. I did away with any range angscity the first week i owned it by driving up to the top of a 6,000 mountain outside my town. I was white knuckled all the way up due to how long and steep the road was and when i got there it said i could only go 14 more miles, but the battery bars only showed 8 of 12 being used. When I turned around and got all the way back home it said I had 50 miles left in the battery and there were still 3 of 12 bars left. Only used a little battery as I was mostly charging the battery on the way back by going downhill."

Much Better than the Volt!!!

By on Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pros: "Acceleration, torque, Heated steering, 80+ miles"

Cons: "More storage under cargo area mat"

"We have a 68 mile daily commute to and from work in cold climate Michigan so we looked at the volt, prius, tdi, among others trying to offset costs of gas. We narrowed our choice to a volt or leaf after test driving cars. The volt was a close second but the Leaf beat it out for the following reasons: the volt managed a meager 30 miles in all electric when driven in temps hovering in the mid 40‘s - this wouldn't even get us half way. The leaf pulled out 82 during same weather. The leaf is larger with seating for 5 and larger cargo area. We liked the Leaf's dash and gauge layout better than the Volt. The leaf is quiet,yet has tremendous torque and really flies off the line. And price Carwings - We love how we can start the climate control, heat our car, and get it ready without leaving our house. Carwings let's us do all of this via our phone or ipad. Great feature. Navigation system is top notch and very accurate. Love xm Acceleration and torque. Heated steering wheel Roomy interior and comfortable seats LED headlights 80+ miles of all electric driving which meets our daily commute of 68 with miles to spare. Never had to recharge at work. We have made long tips (160 miles) in the car with planning. We traveled to Detroit from grand rapids with one stop in Lansing to charge our car. Worked out well as lots of charging statins along the way."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Nissan LEAF near Honolulu. See local deals