2011 Nissan LEAF

Based on 76 Ratings for the 2011 - 2017 models.

I am so glad to own, but paid too much.

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

"This is a great little car, but it's value depreciated way too quickly. The car is worth about $10,000 less then what we paid. We've only had the car for a little over one year. Very disappointing."

great car, easy and fun to drive.

By on Sunday, May 11, 2014

"I have had this car for a little over a year. I really like using zip lane to work,and carpool lane on the way home. I have solar on my home and don't pay for any fuel charge at all. Its been great so far. Plus $7500 tax credit was real nice."

Great for daily commute

By on Friday, November 8, 2013

Pros: "Instant torque, comfort, fuel & maintenance cost"

"I own this car for about a week, but there is a lot to say. It changed my thinking about driving. What I like. Instant torque. It feels and sounds like an airplane on a runway when you floor the accelerator. Size. Just right for me, two kids in the back and, occasionally, an adult in the front. Comfort. All features are very well thought-through. E.g. AC and heating consumes power significantly reducing the driving range. So, the car is equipped with seat heating running from the secondary battery and has a climate control timer that would pre-heat/pre-cool your car a few minutes before the planned departure while it's still plugged in. I noticed parking breaks are automatically releasing when I start driving. The charge status of the car can be checked online or through a mobile app so that you don't overpay for hogging a public charge station. The car can also send you an email or a text when it's done charging. Etc. The car is full of nice surprises. I am yet to find an unpleasant surprise. All small things are there - cupholders, compartment for eye glasses, dimming rear view mirrors, convenient steering wheel controls for bluetooth and audio, proximity key entry, folding back seats for large luggage - can't think of anything missing or annoying. Even the locking beep is loud enough to hear, but quiet enough to not disturb neighbors at night. Driving leaf changes my thinking while I drive. Gas prices are no longer a concern. Driving range is. So, I am continuously checking how many miles I drive per kWh and try to maximize it, using Eco mode and cutting back on acceleration and using climate control. Trip planning is important. I drive over 35 miles a day and use more than a half of the battery. I have not installed the 240V charger at home yet, so if I arrive home empty, the car will not fully charge by the morning - I need to charge at public stations near my work, but not too much. They charge your car and your credit card - $1/hour. That's about $1 for 10 miles. Still less than gas, but way more expensive than charging at home. So, at public stations, I want to charge only partially to maximize charging at home. Definitely, more planning than just filling up the tank once every 2 weeks, but it's manageable and fun. There is also plenty of tools to track driving history/economy/savings/environmental impact etc. Need to mention maintenance cost. There are no oil changes, filters, oxygen sensors, DEQ tests, transmissions. The number of moving parts inside the car requiring maintenance is minimal. Battery longevity is something I need to check out. Nissan guarantees not more than 20% drop in battery capacity in 5 years. If it is more - they will replace the battery (which, by the way, does not seem to be too expensive). And, in 5 years, batteries will get better. Relatively large car price is off-set by the $7,500 federal tax credit and gas savings which, I think, is over $100/month for me. So far, I like this car a lot."

Great commuting car and around town car

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Reason: Totaled after accident

Pros: "Quiet, no trips to gas station"

Cons: "Can't only car, limits to range, need garage."

"If your driving fits well into the profile, see below, this can be a great commuting and around town car. It is quiet, responsive in city traffic, roomy, convenient. The profile of an owner that will really like this car is: Lives in a reasonable climate, drives 20 to 50 miles on most days, and you have another car for days when you need to drive longer distances, in other words, can trade with the spouse or other household member. Also, the owner will need a garage or carport or similar place to install a charging station. Yes, the 120V cable supplied with the car will work, but is somewhat of a hassle, and some 120V outlets are poorly made/installed/wired."

Fun to drive, and near zero maintenance

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive, no gas cost"

Cons: "Satellite radio sounds tinny"

"This has been the best new car I have ever purchased (about 4th). All worked as published, and you can see a lot of thought went in from the bottom up to make this an efficient car that still feels like a "real" car. There are several indicators to let you know how efficiently you are driving - so up to you whether you want to be a lead foot or not - and how much energy distance you have left. The only thing that has worn in 31,000 miles are the tires."

My second LEAF and LOVE it!

By on Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Pros: "Quiet, fun, Economical"

Cons: "range could be better"

"I bought a 2015 SL after leasing a 2013 SV. In 2 years I put 30,000 miles on my last LEAF. I had absolutely NO maintenance issues with the car. It has more features than other cars its size. It is fun to drive. You have to come into it knowing what you are getting. I routinely go 80 miles in mixed driving without a problem. My daily commute is 64 miles round trip and I never have a concern. Sure the range is lower in the winter and is a bit less with the heat or AC on, but hasn't even ben an issue with my commute, Nissan has reworked the battery chemistry since the first model came out in 2011 and there is much less battery degradation. I saw none in 2 years. To address that someone said the battery costs $12000, not true. A replacement is $6000 installed, but it is warrantied for 8 years/100,000 miles from a bad cell and for 5 years/60,000 to hold a capacity of at least 70%. I have seen so loss in 2 years so I am confident it this cars battery quality. Of course I know that range will eventually decrease but the value is outstanding. I installed a 220 charging station in my garage and it charges quickly. If it was completely run down, it would charge in 4 hours, but I rarely ever run it down, so charge times are less. There are also free charging station ALL OVER the Dallas area. A charging station can be had for $500 but then it is yours forever. But you may need to install a 220 outlet if you don't have one. Sometimes Nissan gives these stations away with the car. So I pay 2.5 cents/mile for electricity vs 15 in my pickup. Also there are plenty of incentives. $7500 federal rebate is still available. It is actually a credit. So if you pay that much in Federal Taxes, you WILL get that amount back (or off) your tax bill when you file the next year. If you only pay say $6000 in taxes, that is all you will get back. I also received $2500 Texas rebate which runs until June 2015 unless renewed. Several other state offer rebates as well. Add that to offers from Nissan, you can get this car cheap. It is what it is, a commuter car. Its not a Tesla and wasn't meant to be. But it does its job extremely well."

Absolutely wonderful car for short trip

By on Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Pros: "good quiet transportation and money in my pocket"

Cons: "this car doesn't like being on the freeway"

"We have the leaf now for about a month and we absolutely love this car. It is the best transponstation solution out there. Period. This car was designed for daily commute and short errand runs and if you can keep it within its limitation, you will find the car absolutely wonderful. It is quiet, it is comfortable, it has good acceleration and best of all, it does not even cost you a dime to operate this car. I think it costs me about $40 last month running about 1000 miles and I had to pay higher tier cost. This month I am changing to TOU and even thinking of going solar as it should lower my electricity cost for both house and car. It leasing deal was also terrific ($200+/mo+tax for 36 mos with practically zero money down) but you will have to find the dealer that is willing to sell you at that price. Most dealers will want to sell you close to $250/mo+tax which I think is high. Since it is gasless, you will never have to visit a gas station and you will never have to smell that fouled gasoline odor anymore. Just plug it in every night and you are all set. Highly recommended to those who can live with its short range, and not having to drive on the freeway alot. My daily commuting is 35 miles and mostly surface street."

Amazing Car, Amazing Value

By on Sunday, October 4, 2015

Pros: "Great Value, silent, smooth powerful drive."

Cons: "GPS system could improve."

"Always wanted an electric car, just never thought I could afford one (don't want to lease). When the time came for a newer vehicle, I was amazed to see how inexpensive the used (lease return) Leaf was going for. I ended up purchasing a two year lease return, in the color I wanted, with only 10070 miles, in new condition, for $11,900. Everyone in my family loves the car. It is fun to drive with the sharp handling and instant torque/power. The Leaf is our primary car and is used for for all daily driving needs (my 10 mile commute, trips to the store, kids sports/music etc.). So glad to no longer visit a gas station or oil change stations. We do still own a 2002 CR-V that gets driven once in a while. Other than a couple long trips, over the course of three months, I have put only two tanks of gas in the Honda. I am disappointed to learn that the new 2016 extended battery will not be compatible with the older models as that would make trips to Tahoe and the Bay Area a bit easier, but as long as the charging network increases, we plan on enjoying this car for many years to come."

F*U*N

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

Pros: "Fun. Peppy. Quiet. Guilt-free, cheap driving."

Cons: "Stiff suspension."

"It was a bit of a whim for us to lease this car, but we figured one urban car (electric) would complement our other larger, conventional long-distance car. We were right, but really underestimated just how much fun it is to have and drive and "refuel" an electric car. Quiet, great acceleration, no gas stations, just plug it in ... my wife and I fight over using it. The gas car feels like a dinosaur now. We didn't even install the normal 220 charger - just use 110 "trickle" charge, which adds about 50 miles overnight. It's all we've needed for charging. And I love being released from most of the guilt of using gas and polluting when I drive. There is still some pollution associated with power, but in Northwest our power is plentiful and relatively clean - probably reduces CO2 by 80% relative to gas. Love the Leaf!"

Great experience so far

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Pros: "Quiet, smooth, refined, no oil changes!, no exhaust"

Cons: "Limited driving range"

"This is the 8th car I have owned so far. Probably most distinct. I use it for my daily commute in Silicon Valley, CA and very happy with the handling and comfort. Love the blue tooth phone inerface, navigation, XM radio, Apps that inform about the status of charging. Acceleration is surprisingly good. The interior fine for 4 people. Have to plan for longer trips due to limited range. Hopefully all the cars will be electric in future."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Nissan LEAF near Honolulu. See local deals