2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab

Based on 409 Ratings for the 1998 - 2004 models.

2001 King cab XE

By on Saturday, November 15, 2008

"Bought the truck about 3 months ago for 6K retail. Had 85000 miles and some body issues. Since then I've given it a full tune up, new front brakes, premium shocks, A/T tires, alignment, and is now at the body shop getting body work and respray of the factory silver metallic color. Truck runs excellent, mileage is mid 20's. A/C very cold. I've owned 4 of these trucks beginning with Datsuns and they don't die, just watch for frame rust on Hard Body models. This 01 is a solid performer and flat out gets the job done!! Can't wait to get it back from the body shop."

Agricultural but reliable

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"Great Truck, not on the leading edge when it comes to technology but gets the job done. My 2002 4 banger uses no oil at 90,000 miles. It prefers premium fuel which really does have a positive and cost effective impact on power and and fuel consumption. Only repairs include sensor, and steering gear that wore out prematurely which I think is not typical and some broken plastic interior items. Otherwise just regular oil changes. Very cheap to keep. Paint is still like new. I think the life of the truck is somewhere over 200,000 miles."

Reliable Truck

By on Wednesday, September 3, 2008

"Truck has been amazing for me. Only two problems since I owned it, (drove across country twice, and several dozen trips 200+ miles or more) The alternator died on me about mile 70k and around 65k the Air Conditioning vent stopped coming out of the front vents. Other than that It has been absolutely reliable, just wish the MPG was a little better."

awesome truck

By on Sunday, August 17, 2008

"I have known a few people who have had this exact truck and loved it so I decided to buy one myself. I have thoroughly enjoyed everything about it. this truck gets great fuel millage considering its a v6 and how much it weighs. Its off road capabilities are astounding. with only some bf Goodrich all terrain tires I have taken this truck through some really nasty stuff. it went through 10 inches of mud up hill with no problems at all. there are allot of after market mods available for this truck too. most of which are very affordable. I would recommend this truck to anyone."

Nissan 1998

By on Monday, May 12, 2008

"Good on gas but a little underpowered. Standard transmission allows me to make up for power problems. Bed is small but I also have an optional toolbox installed. Overall, I like this truck."

Price ok, Great looks, but for what?

By on Friday, April 25, 2008

"I bought my '04 a week ago after giving up on Trying to find a local used Toyota Tacoma that wasn't insanely overpriced. I really like the styling of this truck. it looks good, it drives ok. It Feels more like driving a truck than a car unlike my S-10 I previously owned. I would like to have an extra inch or 2 between the seat and the door though, as it feels a bit cramped. head and leg room are typical for a compact truck. The 4 cyl engine has a fair amount of pep to it for a truck, but I'd prefer a manual transmission over the auto, and it seems slow to respond unless you punch the accelerator, which causes it to whine very loudly. There seems to be a lack of sound proofing as road noise is an issue on Highway drives. Only time will tell I suppose as to how it holds up, but for a small truck, under $12K, with only 33k miles on it, I think this was the best choice for the money., at least that I could find anyway"

Gits er Done

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"i bought a 2001 in 2005 it had 77k miles on it. Starts everytime at the turn of the key, never burns any oil, and never dissapoimnts in performance. It came along with a warranty wich after 3 years has been used only for a wiper motor. Flaws: Gas mileage, and suspension sounds like its breaking everytime i take a sharp turn. They say "its just a Nissan Thing""

A lot of problems

By on Sunday, January 27, 2008

"I've had this truck for about 6 or 7 years. I don't know if I got a lemon or what, but I've had one problem after another, and that's with driving about 8k miles per year...spark plugs, distributor cap, air conditioning, speedometer, winshield wiper motor, latch on the truck bed, electrical issues...all have cause problems...has body rust under the hood...just one thing after another since I've had it...it gets me where I'm going, but my next truck will be a Tacoma"

Great 4x4

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"I went out looking to buy a 97 hardbody but they where all out and i got the 98 frontier instead. The only drawback I found was the 4cyl engine instead of the v6. The 4cyl has plenty of power when in stock form and even with 33's an ARB bull bar, Rock Sliders, and all my trail gear it would still go 80 on the interstate. This truck was made to be off road. it would crawl circles around full size trucks with bigger engines and better gears and lockers the IFS isnt bad and the free float rearend gives good travel. The little 4cyl is the perfect amount of power for 4wd rocks or mud. I have had the entire truck running through water over the hood for over 150yards, and then turned around the next day and drove it 2400 miles. Its small enough to go down 4 wheeler trails but still comfortable for 2 big adults (although the back seats arent meant for anyone over 7 years old). The styling is nice and looks great with my Bull Bar up front replacing that fake plastic bumper. Over all fun truck to drive and very reliable/dependable even when you try and beat it up."

Love it

By on Friday, August 10, 2007

"This truck has been super-reliable for the 6 years I've had it. Gas mileage is very good. Seating is comfortable for both me at 5'2" and my husband at 6'4". Could use a bit more horsepower and I don't like the styling of the grill. Overall, though, it's been the best vehicle I've ever owned."

I wish I had an SE

By on Thursday, July 26, 2007

"I love everything about my frontier XE. I only wish that when I had bought it I would have spent the few extra $$ and got the SE model. They look so sporty and have so many luxury options compared to the XE model."

A-1

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"My 4x4 has outperformed and exceeded every expectation I had when I bought it 6 years ago. Super low maintenance, extreme reliability, great mpg, tough as nails with stylish looks. MY HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION!!!!!!"

OLD FAITHFUL

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"I am 41 years old and this is the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned!!! Great Truck 99 4x4 SE model"

awesome

By on Tuesday, July 24, 2007

"Great truck, super dependable. In six years my frontier 4x4 has never let me down!!! 24mpg"

Nismo Frontage

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"I drive a 2004 Nissan Frontier to work, do my tasks, and off the road. It is really quiet on the road, and smooth on idle. The interior is car-like, speedometer layout is really nice. The draw back I have is that the light on the gauges isn't as bright as I would like it, but looks nice at night. Another one is the power windows, I have had them replaced once on each side before my warranty ended. Though they are fine now. Gas mileage is so/so in my mix driving. I am not too sure how much I get, but on an average 20 city and 25 highway. Investing in a tonneau cover is a must! What I like most is the acceleration and how I drive at 60 mph and people think I am going 70 mph. Seats are comfortable over long rides, but ride gets tired on bumpy roads, especially if the bed is empty. Though stereo system helps that. You sit up nice and high and don't have any blind spots. Turning circle is great, especially if you gotta make those U-turns. Basically when it comes down for an everyday work truck, the Desert Runner frontier is your Sahara."

How could you not love it

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"Great mpg, sexy, always reliable, comfortable, and it gives a great ride."

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"had a few problems with the anchor arm assemblies on the under carriage were the torsion bar is inserted."

HOT TRUCK

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"I just got 26mpg hiway with a 1/2 ton 4 wheel drive truck that looks awesome!!! BEAT THAT!!!"

solid truck

By on Saturday, July 7, 2007

"my nissan frontier is an excellent vehicle for me. it could go anywhere had good gas mileage for a truck, and was good looking. i always feel good driving it and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't need to carry more than one or two passengers."

Solid Economy Truck

By on Friday, July 6, 2007

"Good buy for the money, very dependable. Haul decent load weights and good towing ability. Above average gas mileage."

Never breaks!!

By on Wednesday, November 28, 2007

"I have owned these trucks since they were 'Datsuns.' I have put over 200000 miles( at least ) on every one of them. The brakes did not need replacing 'till 80,000 mi. on the last two. My latest (2002) has 90,000 on it, and all I have done, as with all the trucks fron this company, is change the oil, tires, and other fluids as the schedule says to do. I have never needed a new battery either!! I use them as work trucks, overload them, tow boats and trailers, and even though I chose the 4 cyl., it has always done a superb job for me. My 1997 had 240,000 mi. on it when I gave it to my nephew, who drove it for three years before sonething finnally needed attention. The timing chain tentioner. I am born and bred an American, but every American truck I have owned can't hold a candle to the Nissan as far as longevaty is concerned. You give up a little in comfort, but I save 7 to 8 thousand dollars a year compared to a full sized eight cyl. American made truck when you figure in lower insurance rates, no break-downs, lower initial price, better gas mileage, etc. My father is a CPA and we have kept very good records over the years. At 51, I still chuckle when my friens with Ford Rangers and Chevy Blazers insult me over the Nissan. Then I give them a ride to pick their trucks up as they are breaking often once past 100,000 mi. If you are rich, this won't matter. If you buy a vehicle to work, and keep it untill it falls apart, you can't beat a Japaneese built and designed truck. My next one will probably out live me!! I spend the money I save on a new motorcycle every two years, and the truck kicks the energizer bunny's tail!!"

The ultimate mid-sized truck

By on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pros: "Good value, great to drive on and off road"

Cons: "Poor acceleration, worse fuel economy."

"(2004 XE King cab 4WD 5spd manual) For the money, this is the best mid sized truck you can buy. Good looks, surprisingly rugged performance off road and even more surprisingly nimble in the corners. Great ride quality on the road. Soft and comfortable, but very agile for a truck if you get a little frisky in the corners. Bad weather or off road? Select 4WD high range in light snow or dirt and you can still corner at a high rate of speed even in adverse conditions. Throttle response and steering angle are good enough to allow some four wheel drifting. Deep snow, mud, rocks, or heavy duty pulling? Lock 4WD low range and be amazed at what this little truck can overcome. The excellent stock ground clearance coupled with Nissan's hearty four wheel drive make it downright hard to get stuck if you have any common sense as a driver. Even on all terrain tires this truck will out perform its competitors in a pinch. It even has all the gadgets you need, but none you don't. Power everything, tilt, cruise control, and a respectable sound system are all available from the factory and the interior is nicely laid out. Nothing fancy, but good quality and easy to clean. Now on to its only two real flaws: Horrible fuel economy especially when considering that it really doesn't make much power. At best I have averaged 17 mpg and the engine only makes 170 hp. In a straight line, the it is painfully slow even for a pickup, and the fuel economy is awful for a 3.3V6 built by the Japanese. If you add an intake, headers, a cam, and exhaust, the motor really wakes up (aprox 210hp) but you will need to get around emissions regulations to get it inspected. Also, the fuel economy will suffer even more. As for reliability, this is one tough machine. Mechanically it is superbly engineered, and with proper care will last well over 250k miles with no major problems. Lifter tap is an annoying characteristic of the motor, but a small price to pay for an all but bulletproof power plant. I have the 5spd Manual gearbox, and it is crisp and well geared. However, 5th gear is a bit of a stretch due to the long throw of the shift lever. As for the chassis, it does suffer from rust rather easily, particularly in the fasteners. If you are doing body work on one of these trucks, expect to snap one in every four of the small bolts you go to loosen. PB blast and WD40 are your best friends on any job. Overall I adore my Frontier. I have owned two prior Nissan truck models (D22 Hardbody 4cyl SE and 6cyl XE) but this is by far my favorite. Having one of these as a daily driver or even just as a utility vehicle will inevitably leave you very attached to the truck. No American made mid sized truck can come close to the standard the D23 Frontier sets and in my opinion only the Toyota Tacoma comes close in the import market. It is the quintessential Nissan: Well thought out, reliable, quietly brilliant and very under-rated."

This was the best vehicle I could ever hope for.

By on Sunday, January 25, 2015

Reason: Car totaled in acciedent.

"This was the best vehicle I could ever hope for. It was incredibly functional, reliable, and safe. I got the car used at 10 years old, and it lasted me in excellent condition for 5 more years. It saved my life in a head on collision that destroyed the car, but I walked away with only minor whiplash. It can safely carry incredibly heavy loads. It has a low center of gravity that keeps it and the driver safe in dangerous wind and weather conditions. It has a very sturdy frame that protects the engine block and passenger. It has a comfortable and compact cab. The 2000 model is not an expensive car, but is worth its weight in gold. I drove it everywhere and it is a good commuter car, getting at least 20 miles to the gallon on a 13 gallon tank. It can equally handle city streets, highways and freeways, as well as rough and unpaved off-roading quite well. It only ever had a few minor mechanical problems during the 5 years I owned it. This car was comfortable and safe. I considered it my driving protector."

Overall, a very good truck

By on Wednesday, December 16, 2009

"I bought this truck new about five and a half years ago and I've had no problems, routine maintenance only. I traded in a six cylinder Desert Runner with manual transmission, ( which I probably liked better ) because I was commuting a long distance and I wanted better gas mileage and no clutch to deal with in traffic. The only cons for this truck is the lack of power in those situations when you need it. You definitely have to hit the OD button if you're getting on the freeway or going up a hill or long grade. I don't think towing with this truck is really an option. Once you get up to speed it cruises just fine. The other problem is the steering wheel clearance. Even if you have the steering wheel in the highest position it barley clears your legs. It's something you get used to after a while, but when I first bought it I was always jamming my fingers into my legs when turning the wheel. I think if I were to buy another Frontier I would get a six cylinder."

ENGINE PROBLEMS

By on Saturday, November 24, 2007

"From what I have heard my issues were an oddity. my 04 developed a knock somewhere around 20-22k which turned out to be a wrist pin failure. The dealer I leased it from short-blocked it. Ever since then it seems to feel like it has lower power. I did break in the new motor correctly. Other then that the truck has been pretty bullet-proof. It doesnt chew up oil or use antifreeze, I did recently develop a small p/s leak which I used some Lucus product to cure. All in all its decent on mileage. Runs great in the snow and even with its funny looks is not a bad looking truck. It kinda grows on you. I do wish I had waited one more yr to get into the new style but thats life. I gave it 4 stars across the board except reliability if I hadn't gotten the wrist pin issue I would have given it 4's and 5's"